The standings of the Republican White House hopefuls has shifted, according to a new CNN poll.
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson has skidded into sixth place in a new CNN/WMUR poll of likely Republican voters in New Hampshire, edged out by ex-Libertarian and anti-war congressman Ron Paul and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney topped the poll, widening a lead he has held for months in neighboring New Hampshire, while Arizona Sen. John McCain and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani were running close in the second and third spots.
The CNN/WMUR poll was conducted by the University of New Hampshire between Wednesday and Sunday. Pollsters surveyed 404 Republican voters for the survey, which had a sampling error of 5 percentage points.
Thompson came into the GOP race late with the hope of winning over social conservatives unsatisfied with the rest of the party's field, and racked up a key endorsement from the National Right to Life Committee last week. But the former star of the television drama "Law and Order" has trailed the GOP front-runners in early voting states since entering the race in August, and his support in New Hampshire dropped from 13 percent in a September poll to 4 percent in November's survey.
By contrast, Romney's support grew from 25 percent to 33 percent over the same period; McCain held steady at 18 percent; and Giuliani dipped from 24 to 16 percent.
Meanwhile, the percentage of support for Paul grew from 4 percent to 8 percent, putting him fourth among the GOP contenders in the Granite State.
The Texas congressman, who once ran for president on the Libertarian Party ticket, has gained notice as the sole advocate of a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq among the GOP field - and he raised eyebrows in Washington earlier this month when supporters claimed to have raised $4.3 million in a single day of online fund-raising. The figure can't be independently confirmed until Federal Election Commission reports are filed at the end of the year.
Among other contenders, Huckabee - seen gaining ground ahead of the Iowa caucuses - claimed 5 percent support in the new poll. Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo, who has made opposition to illegal immigration the centerpiece of his campaign, drew 1 percent; and California Rep. Duncan Hunter, the former chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, had the support of fewer than half of 1 percent.
Thompson's negatives have grown sharply since he entered the race. In July, a CNN/WMUR poll of New Hampshire Republicans found 30 percent would not support him "under any circumstances" - but in the new poll, that figure grew to 50 percent.
McCain's rating on the same question declined from 38 percent to 29 over the same period; Romney's showed a slight increase, from 17 percent to 19; and the number of people who said they could not support Giuliani on any terms grew from 22 percent to 28.
The war in Iraq remains GOP primary voters' top concern, though its importance has dropped since summer. The issue is a major strength for McCain, a leading advocate of the 10-month-old U.S. campaign to pacify Baghdad and its surrounding provinces: Those polled rated him most capable of managing the 4-year-old war by about a 3-1 margin when compared with Romney and Giuliani.
But the issue has faded since July, while likely voters' concerns about terrorism and illegal immigration have grown. Those who ranked immigration the country's most important problem grew from 11 percent in July to 16 percent in November, while terrorism grew from 11 percent to 15 percent.
Giuliani's management of the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center has become a central selling point of his campaign, and GOP voters ranked him best-equipped to handle terrorism. Meanwhile, former businessman and 2002 Winter Olympics organizer Romney beat the other top contenders by better than 3-to-1 when it came to managing the economy, taxes and immigration.
But the poll suggests the GOP race remains fluid with about two months left before the New Hampshire primary, the official date of which remains unsettled. Only 14 percent of those surveyed said they had definitely decided on a candidate, while 29 percent said they were leaning toward one - and 56
percent were still trying to decide.
Despite all this "Rawn Pawl" spam we have here.. I think Romney has New Hampshire.
I do not understand Americans who want to vote for a man who will not pledge allegience to the flag, and whose Muslim background was emphasized when he was sworn into his office as a US Senator with his hand on the Koran. Where would a man who is not a patriot lead us in this treacherous world?
Your news coverage is so one sided and bias, it's like watching the suppressed Russian people back in the 1980's. You really dont see all the information, campaigns and the false information which is spoon fed to you. I am so glad to see so many of you waking up and finding out whats really going on.
The American image overseas is terrible, Iv'e even met Americans who pretend they are Canadians rather than get into a debate about how there country is seen as an invading war mongering, money grabbing nation of the elite and the blind.
Do yourselves a huge favour, become friends with the world again and get someone who tells it as it is, not some apple pie story told with fake sparkle teeth.
Your counrty used to be great, please make it great again. If you want to see who will look after you just look at who is being funded and by what means. Dont vote for anybody which takes money from business, go for the guy who is funded by the people.
As an 18 year old Australian I am a firm ally of the United States! If I were American I would without any doubt vote for Ron Paul! Ron Paul’s history alone is superior to any other candidate from both the Republican and Democratic Party.
Mike Huckabee is a joke! Mike Huckabee generates superficial political propaganda like:
• Mike Huckabee signed a bill but never followed through with signing an agreement with the Department of Homeland Security to secure training for state police officers-thus not being to enforce federal immigration law! So if you desire a President to be all talk but no action then vote for Mike Huckabee!
• "This is a policy difference, but the facts are the facts — under Governor Huckabee's administration, there was never even any effort to begin negotiating with Homeland Security," said former state Rep. Jeremy Hutchinson, the Republican who sponsored the 2005 law.
• In 1999 Mike Huckabee, despite numerous critical warnings, directly pushed for the release of Wayne Dumond, an evil perverted serial rapist, 25 years early! Many women and victims of the rapist wrote to Huckabee in protest, including one woman that was raped with a knife to her throat while her 3 year old daughter lay in bed next to her. Despite these letters, the Arkansas Governor refused to admit there were any letters sent to his office from the rape victims. Soon after Dumond's release in 1999, he moved to Smithville, Missouri, where he went on to rape and kill Carol Sue Shields, a 39 year old woman. Dumond went on to kill Sara Andrasek, 23 year old from Platte County, Missouri, a day before his arrest in 2001. So if your desire a President who is pitifully weak against disgusting parasites like serial rapists let alone the increasing threat of radical terrorism then vote for Mike Huckabee!
• Ernie Dumas writes: “Mike Huckabee raised more taxes in 10 years in office than Bill Clinton did in his 12 years." This has to be the best quote yet. It sums up Mike Huckabee to a tee. Please research his voting record and tax hikes.
• Mike Huckabee claims to make the U.S energy indeed within 10 years. Now, you tell me how that's going to happen, because Mike certainly hasn't said how it'll work.
• Mike Huckabee suggests a sales tax on everything, which may mean a tax of up to 30% on all purchases. He also proposes rebate checks to people who need them. Try to imagine the bureaucracy created by figuring out who gets a monthly check.
• Mike Huckabee stance on foreign Relations… I believe he's waiting for some Divine Intervention on Iraq, Iran and Pakistan.
• In Mike Huckabee’s first campaign for Senate, as reported by Salon, Mike used campaign funds to pay his media consultant. But do you know the name of Mike Huckabee's media consultant..? It was Mike Huckabee. Yes, the generous and gracious Mike Huckabee exploited vital campaign money from his supporters to increase personal profit!
• This is only a minute portrayal to the reality of Mike Huckabee! If you want to believe in the lies and deception of the corporate media propaganda then vote for Mike Huckabee! It’s your right! But then again it’s your future!
I respect Mitt Romney deeply but this man is extremely deceitful and alters his policies on various key issues quite regularly! You do not want a President of such character!
I feel sad that I waste my time discussing Rudy Giuliani but am unbelievably pleased to see that faithful Americans are not fooled by his fake artificial façade as the ‘protector’ of the American people from radical ‘terrorists!’ Rudy Giuliani FAILED the innocent people of New York on 9/11 and he is directly responsible for the murder of the firefighters who painfully perished in the Twin Towers! Rudy is a fascist individual who will continue the corrupt neo-conservative rape and exploitation of innocent American citizens! Rudy will continue the corporate military imperialism of the Middle-East and neglect vital homeland issues like the current invasion of the U.S by illegal immigrates!
John McCain has a highly perverted perception of American patriotism and honor! John McCain is a dishonest individual who directly supports Bush’s support for the continuation of the U.S illegal invasion and occupation of Iraq! John McCain generates lies and deception that those within the military support him the most-LIE-Ron Paul takes that honor! If you want a President that will gracefully lead to the internal destruction of the U.S, the continued economic decline of the U.S dollar, the continued rape of civil liberties, continued imperialism of the Middle-East to further the profit of the minority of elite wealthy American’s, and finally the continued demolition of the U.S constitution, then please vote for John McCain! It’s your nation, it’s your vote, and it’s your future! A vote for McCain is not only a risk for you but the future safety and security of your children!
Ron Paul is a true Republican conservative and American patriot whose allegiance isn’t with the increase profit and expansion multi-national corporations or global imperialism, but with the U.S constitution and its citizens!
A VOTE FOR RON PAUL IS A VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE!
FIND OUT YOURSELF, PLEASE VISIT:
RON PAUL! RON PAUL! RON PAUL! COME ON PEOPLE!!! WE NEED TO GET THE FACTS AND WORD OUT MORE FOR HIM. A POLITITION CAN'T DO IT BY HIMSELF!!! RON PAUL! RON PAUL! RON PAUL!!!!!!!!
Many of Obama's votes are more anti-Clinton votes than being for Obama. The more people see of this hollow soul the less they like her...........
I WILL NOT vote for a president, who WILL NOT, & CANNOT pledge to the US Flag. How Obama is even running for president is still blowing my mind.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT !!!!!!!!!
It will be detrimental to our country if a Republican is elected president. Mike Huckabee thinks he's the next messiah. Mitt Romey is a a Flip- Flopper and comes off as a big fake. John McCaine and Fred Thompson both look like Death warmed over. I'm afraid that they'll keel over and die any minute. Rudy Giulianni just doesn't have the ability to lead a nation. Ron Paul rambles incoherently and thinks that the cause of every problem is the devaluation of the dollar.
Once again the media has been hyping up John Mccain as if the republican party is 100% behind him!Not true at all, he won states where independence and democrats can vote for him,but just wait and see when he comes to states like Florida,and only republicans can vote, there will be such a republican revolt that once again it will show how bias and wrong they really are.Wake up America! Do you really think conservitives and true republicans have forgotten about Mccain/Kennedy,Mccain/Feingold,the gang of '14',voted against bush tax cuts twice,voted against english being the official language and said hatefull things tourds christians on and on.......Stright talk friends a liberal like that and the liberal media who hypes him up, cannot be trusted,and we cant wait till Jan 29 starting in Florida,when the real candidate is the true frontrunner!!!!!!!!
John Mccain for president?GOD HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Mitt!! beat old jonny boy,he is such a jerk! But then again there are 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants that are praying that he wins!!!!! If that happens,Goodbye USA hellow the new MEXICO!!! Now think about that before you vote for this ASSHO.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!