November 20th, 2007

White House denies Bush misled spokesperson on CIA leak

McClellan was White House press secretary at the time of the CIA leak investigation.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – White House spokesman Scott Stanzel denied accusations leveled at President Bush Tuesday by former Bush press secretary Scott McClellan. The accusations flow from an excerpt released from McClellan’s forthcoming book where he blames the president and other high-ranking White House officials for prompting him to “unknowingly pass along false information” as it related to the identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

“The President has not misled his spokespeople, nor would he,” Stanzel said in a statement.

–CNN White House Correspondent Suzanne Malveaux

Filed under: President Bush • Scooter Libby • Valerie Plame
  1. Chris from NYC

He would "never mislead his spokespeople, nor would he."!?!?! He did and has over and over and over and over. They just want to keep their jobs like everyone else. I especially like the fact that they comment back with this HUGE allegation with a one sentence answer. It's sad that CNN and the rest of this country will probably give it equal weight in responses, but I hope not.

November 20, 2007 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Throw the bums in prison.This has been the most criminal administration in the history of this country.

Don in Ala

November 20, 2007 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  3. james dallas, tx

"Stay the Course..."

God forbid ol' Dubya ever actually gets held accountable for soemthing.

November 20, 2007 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  4. Michael, Houston, Tx

I guess I do not get it, what happened? I find myself wondering about this. McClellan was supposed to be one of the inner Bush circle and was a good friend of Bush. Maybe I misunderstood the relationship.

What changed to make him come out with these accusations now?

November 20, 2007 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  5. AT, new york, ny

Of course, Bush did. The press secretary just repeated what he was told by Bush, Cheny, etc.

On the other hand, what can Bush say now, other than deny, deny and deny.

November 20, 2007 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. Raulin, Mechanicsville, VA

W, misleading America, hard to believe.
    Where are The WMD, Bin Laden,The Niger Uranium, The Kathrina help.
    Please don't forget Mission Accomplished and Democratic Governmment in Iraq and Pakistan.

November 20, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  7. Sue in Michigan

"the President has not mislead his spokespeople, nor would he."

Right, and I have a nice piece of property in the 5th ward that I'd like to sell you if you believe ANY of Bush's "spokespeople" believe any of what they are told to tell the rest of us. PLEASE!

November 20, 2007 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  8. Lucinda, Albquerque, NM

Hey Stanzel, seems to me that line has been flaunted by every WH spokesman that has been part of Dumbya's administration! How long did it take you to memorize it?

November 20, 2007 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  9. Ann, Canada

Once again, the strategy is to attack the messenger. First they use him to pass on false information and now they will try and say he is all wrong. I guess Scotty isn't a loyal enough Bushie to escape the attacks we will now hear thrown in is direction from all the republicans.

November 20, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  10. Jan, Evergreen, CO

My oh my. Of course this White House and administration is totally, completely honest and above board. I have a bridge in Manhattan that I can sell you. Bush, Cheney, ETAL, reek with dishonesty and they all will rue the day when it all ends for them.

November 20, 2007 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  11. josh, akron, oh

That's laughable...everyone who leaves office is spilling the beans...Where there's smoke there's fire; just how much mismanagement and corruption can one Presidential term contain?!

November 21, 2007 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  12. Jed in Texas

Thanks Scott,I knew when you left that having to lie for them every day was getting to you.I also know it couldnt have helped Tony Snows condition either, although I sometimes I think he enjoyed lying to tick the press off.There are alot of good people from Texas,just not enough of them are in the White House now and after this bunch of crooks we dont have much hope of getting the good ones in.

November 21, 2007 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  13. Michael, Orlando, Florida

Bush does not mislead his spokespeople, that is very true! Bush leads his spokespeople so that THEY can mislead the American people.

November 21, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  14. doug, Laguna Beach

A republican would lie? Oh my God!

November 21, 2007 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  15. Ari; San Jose

you expect bush to say yes I misled?!

November 21, 2007 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  16. The Edge, Macon, GA

"'I didn't do it' he says as he throws up his hands, 'I was only robbing the register, I hope you understand'"..."Hurricane" by Bob Dylan

November 21, 2007 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  17. Steve, Portland, OR

Big surprise to everyone I'm Sure.

November 21, 2007 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  18. Mark, Murray utah

Exactly how is that Bush and Cheney haven't been impeached yet?

To everyone no congress. GET A SPINE!

November 21, 2007 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  19. alan St Louis MO

White House denies Bush misled spokesperson on CIA leak

LOL that statement it self is missleding

2009 hurry up

November 21, 2007 04:55 am at 4:55 am |
  20. Ben Marble, M.D. Biloxi, Ms.

LOL...the president probably told Stanzel that and in doing so would also be misleading him...What a moron!
    cya
    Ben
    PS Dick + Bush = Screwed so let's stop getting screwed...IMPEACH NOW!

November 21, 2007 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  21. JD Rugby ND

Of course they are going to deny Bush misled McClellan. This administration does not concern itself about the truth. Pathological liars lie. Lies beget lies. They only tell US what they think we need to know. I would like to think that We the People are not as stupid as our government believes we are.

November 21, 2007 05:21 am at 5:21 am |
  22. mark wilkes barre pa

what a loser of a story, this is old news that has run its course had its day has been investigated re investigated and no one can seem to get to the truth. the real truth here is some one has ANOTHER book to sell perfectly timed release of that book to hopefully sucker in people. Any one who hates or sitting president Already hate our president,, what can this book hope to achieve being released during election season. None of the players are running for office are they ? stop re hashing washed up stories and focus on whats important,, Lets talk about the possible end of the old school politics in this country if hillary tanks her presidential run. Now theres a story

November 21, 2007 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  23. Curtis Walker, Grass Valley, CA

Well, the Democrats are not going to impeach any of them for fear of getting someone appointed that sets them up for the White House in 08. And if any Republican does happen to win the election, I can bet you the world that each of them will pardon GWB and his pack of liers. Should be a question about the intent to pardon at the Republican debate but I am older and cannot make and send a video question.

November 21, 2007 06:38 am at 6:38 am |
  24. Jose, Orlando, Florida

What's the matter CNN, it's been twenty fours hours and still no comments posted, are you scare of this administration as well?

November 21, 2007 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  25. Jim - Chicago

I wonder if the White House will deny when this current WH spokesman writes a book that says he misled the public when he denied that the former WH spokesman's denial was in fact the truth?

Has anyone ever counted the number of times the White House has denied accusations against it from staffers who left? Hum, maybe these things are true??

Please impeach these guys. They deserve it.

November 21, 2007 07:00 am at 7:00 am |