November 21st, 2007

Poll: Clinton, Obama top list of Thanksgiving dinner guests

Sen. Clinton has edged out Sen. Obama in a new poll.

(CNN) – The results are in for the turkey primary in the 2008 White House race.

Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani are the 2008 presidential contenders that voters would most like to have as guests for Thanksgiving dinner, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Tuesday.

Sen. Clinton came in first overall. She was preferred by 27 percent of voters. Sen. Obama was second with 24 percent of voters wanting to have him at their dinner table for Thanksgiving. Rudy Giuliani took third with 22 percent of voters wanting the former Big Apple mayor to visit on Thanksgiving.

Sen. John McCain, former Sen. Fred Thompson, and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney were in fourth, fifth, and sixth place respectively with 17 percent of voters wanting McCain to break bread with them, 14 percent wanting Thompson, and 7 percent wanting Romney.

Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,636 American voters between October 23 and 29 with a margin of error of plus or minus 2.4 percentage points.

– CNN’s Emily Sherman and Martina Stewart

Filed under: Polls • Presidential Candidates
  1. pat huntington ny

The only reason I would have thanksgiving dinner with Rudy is to look him dead in the face and ask, "how do you sleep at night knowing you killed all those firefighters and police officers on 9-11 because you didn't properly equip them? Pass the turnups."

November 21, 2007 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Jay

Come on CNN, this poll is from Oct 23-29. A lot has change since then.

November 21, 2007 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Bob, NY, NY

Another poll in which John Edwards is nowhere to be found.

November 21, 2007 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Steve Mantua, NJ

I wonder why Romney is so low? Mormons celebrate Thanksgiving too don't they?

November 21, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  5. JM, OH

Wow. Another useless poll.

November 21, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Tom Brady

Hillary would have to sit at the kids' table at my Thanksgiving dinner, she wants to act like a little girl, then she will be treated like one.

November 21, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. Fred, Reston VA

Any comments about how "polarizing" Sen. Clinton is now? She really is a nice lady, and anybody who thinks otherwise must have a nasty personality themself.

I wouldn't want Sen. Obama because he would bore me will all of his arrogant bragging, but he is more than an acceptable SECOND choice.

November 21, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. MK, Los Angeles, California

This poll was taken more than a month ago - before Clinton spiraled into free fall after the debate in Philli. I wonder what a poll like this would show now? I doubt Clinton would get the same level of support amongst turkey goers.

November 21, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Carol, New York, New York

Maybe next time CNN can report on one of the many polls where Hillary does not come in first. They could at least appear to be reporting balanced news.

November 21, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. Jack, Fort Myers, Fl

Who cares. But at lest they didn't get invited on a classified trip...then leak the classified information like a certain Republican candidate did. Bush's hair has gotten greyer this week and military leaders must be shaking their heads in dismay while praying to thier God McCain never takes control of the RED BUTTONs on the Presidents desk. Happy Thanksgiving! I can read anymore or I'll laugh myself out of my chair. But I am thankful this Thanksgiving Day..the end of the Bush Dynasty is near...and our next President..Hillary Clinton..may actually represent ME in Washington.

November 21, 2007 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. Matt, Manchester, CT

Another great item posted by CNN... very relevant.

November 21, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. anon New York, NY

I wonder if she'd show up at my house on Thanksgiving wearing a pantsuit.

November 21, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. Tony, Tulsa, OK

"Why would you want someone at hour table who wants to take more taxes from your paycheck for an already over-bloated Congress? Someone who isn't interested in the troops' sacrifices and someone who doesn't believe in the solemnity of life in each unborn child?"

Because they probably have something interesting to say, unlike redneck Bush sheep. How about the money spent on an illegal and unnecessary (to say the least) war? How about not making troops sacrifice themselves for it? How about the solemnity of life for post-natal humans?

November 21, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. Monte Brown, New York, NY

I would gladly have either Obama or Clinton at my Thanksgiving dinner. In the White House, however, is where I want Hillary Clinton.

November 21, 2007 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. richard,Derry, NH

I am going to flash this network down the drain Next month after I see this game. I think we need a new news network. CNN is just lying as much as Hillary!

November 21, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. M. Brathwaite, Virgin Islands

CNN your bias is boedering on ridiculous now. Obama is polled to be head in Iowa by a credible polling organization and your headline is Clinton Obama tied Hilary is leading in a turkey day poll and you continue your bias approach by writing a headline that gives the impression she is winning the presidency. Come on, please show some descency.

"Go Obama" they wont say it but they dont think you are WHITE ENOUGH TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE US but you are the best hope for a renewed America.

November 21, 2007 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. mark wilkes barre pa

I would like to have president bush at my thanks giving table. The prayer before the dinner is usaully a little short in my house, and I know he could do a much better job. Jack fromm fort myers fl would disagree with me,he is too busy drinking hillary's thanksgiving kool aid to notice any one even said grace. We should be thinking back and being thankful for all the things we have that are positive and good in our lives on thanksgiving day not bashing

November 21, 2007 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. Susan, Macedon, NY

I would enjoy having Hillary at my Thanksgiving dinner (if I didn't have to cook, that is). And I'd be thankful that there was going to be a woman in the white house at last. Maybe she and some of the other female heads of state in this world can straighten out some of the problems caused by egotistical, macho men who just like to show off their (and their country's) muscle instead of their brains!!!!

November 21, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  19. Fr. Joseph Thomas, Methuen, MA

Speaking of Rudy, I'd like to ask him [at a Thanksgiving dinner? I don't think so!} how he could expect the American People to elect a man who would live with his girlfriend at one end of Gracie Mansion while his wife was living with their children at the other end! Or how he could expect us to elect a man who announced on TV{!} his intention to divorce his wife before he informed his wife!

November 21, 2007 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Steve, Portland, OR

Unfortunately a couple of these picks for dinner are real political turkeys I would not want over for dinner anytime, let alone Thanksgiving.

November 21, 2007 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  21. Tom - Dedham, Mass

In Hillary's case, you TRULY are what you eat (note holiday).

Old poll being made to seem new, but how about the new poll that shows Hillary losing to Obama in Iowa, must have missed that posting.

Here's hoping we can not hammer each other tommorow, and just have good thoughts and good times with our friends and families and especially our troops.

Godspeed, oh brave ones, hopefully you will be at the table at your Mom's house real soon.

November 21, 2007 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  22. Jay, Kenosha, WI

I'd like to have them both for dinner so I could personally tell them the American people aren't as dumb as they think we are.

November 21, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  23. Jack, Portland, Oregon

"Results are in for the Turkey Primary . . " Oh just what we need, another turkey in the white house! This one should have been im-roasted a long time ago!

November 21, 2007 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  24. J - SA

I know who I wouldn't invite. Obama – My kids might want to drink and get high w/him. What an inspiration.

November 21, 2007 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. anon, new york, ny

I would like to have Hillary for thanksgiving dinner. She is witty, charming and her hearty laugh can lighten up the party.

On the other hand, I do not want Obama to come over for dinner to hear him bragging about his 4 yrs foreign service experience in Indonesia, or his blackness (or half blackness)makes him a good president. As I see it, he can be boring and will ruin my appetite in my dinner party. Besides, why would I let my high school son to hear Obama's goofing and drinking days in high school.

November 21, 2007 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |