November 22nd, 2007

Thanksgiving at Camp David

President Bush calls troops from Camp David Thanksgiving morning.

(CNN) President Bush spent his Thanksgiving morning expressing gratitude to a dozen members of the U.S. military around the world.

White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said the President spent over an hour on the phone from Camp David wishing the troops a Happy Thanksgiving and quoted Bush as saying, “I can’t tell you how impressed I am by the concern and compassion of the troops.” The President went on to say, he understands the daily sacrifices they are making and is filled with great pride. Bush asked the troops to relay his respect and high regard to their colleagues.

President Bush is expected to be joined at Camp David for a Thanksgiving meal by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, his twin daughters, and a number of his siblings. Bush will also have the opportunity to spend some quality time with his first son-in-law-to-be, Henry Hager.

The Presidential feast includes: an oven roasted turkey with cast-iron skillet cornbread dressing, whipped sweet potato soufflé, jellied cranberry molds, fresh clover rolls with honey butter, apple pie, and pumpkin mousse trifle.

– CNN's Emily Sherman

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

How about feeding some of the homeless vets that are living on the streets, including a significant number who spent time in Iraq defending the Bush Cabal's efforts to elevate Halliburton to legendary status?!

The Bush Family Motto: "We've stolen everything we've got from the American people and plan to keep up the tradition!"

November 22, 2007 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. Tom, San Antonio, TX

Whipped Sweat Potato Souffle must be some kinda great dish. I wonder if they get the sweat from waterboarding?

November 22, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  3. James, Columbus GA

ewww.... "sweat" potato soufflé.

November 22, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

Cheyney hasn't been pardoned yet. Maybe, the Prez should have him for dinner.

November 22, 2007 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  5. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

I am thankful that this will be the Shrub's next-to-last Thanksgiving at the Presidential hideaway where he used to snort coke when Poppy was President.

November 22, 2007 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. Anonymous

A lame duck eating turkey.

November 22, 2007 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. T. Tim, Lodi, WI

Abu Ghraib was "compassion?"

November 22, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Marty Pacino Chicao Il

A day of pride as we celebrate a meal with peace in the greatest country in the world. A model we must fight to defend; at a high cost in blood and innocent life. Freedom doesn't come for free; its something people have to die for every minute, to preserve and expand this basic human right. Thank you to the troops who defend and fight for freedom across supressed societies. Thank you George W Bush Jr and Sr for having the heart to not compromise on what we know is right no matter what the critics and polls say no matter how great the cost. The cost of in action today would create a darker tommorrow. I thank you for my future children and for all future Americans. I pray today people will not take for granted our ability to share peaceful meals with loved ones. Finally I thank God for giving our country the courage to stand up for freedom of all human life no matter what the geographic location, skin color or native background. Thank you God for allowing the good guys to win. Like the great Mayor of Rosemont Ilinois Donald E Stevenson said " I have no reason to fear you people... I have the shield of God protecting me."
    Happy ThanksGiving to all Americans no matter what your political positions are... today we celebrate freedom in the greatest country in the world!

November 22, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Jeff, Huntington Beach, CA

I am happy and grateful for the troops who are honored by a Thanksgiving call from the president. Unfortunately, I cannot express enough distate for George W and his shallow gratitude. He is probably one of the phoniest, self centered, self rightious men to hold this priveleged office in our nations history. Our fighting men deserve so much better.

November 22, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. TMH, Long Beach CA

What, no humble pie?

November 22, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. Pete Grasso

For our troops who are in harms way; for their families who wait in prayerful hope for their safe return; for the leadership of this nation; and for the All Americans everywhere...

I wish you a happy, safe, and blessed Thanksgiving.

God Bless,
    Pete

November 22, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  12. BT, YVR, BC

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American neighbors.

November 22, 2007 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

Where was Bush on Veteran's Day not at Arlington Cementary laying the wreath to Honor our Veterans, but letting Cheney the man who got 5 deferments to keep himself out of the Viet Nam War lay the weath at Arlington?
    If Bush was a competent Commander-in-Chief we would have been in and out of Iraq in under two years.
    Is that Bush smiling or smirking?

November 22, 2007 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Jeff Jones, Las Cruces, NM

Way to go Mr. President. While the left-wing lunatics in this country will certainly criticize you for having the opportunity to spend time with your family while thousands of deployed miitary personnel don't, I would like to commend you for taking the time to give an encouraging phone call to what are certainly some excited troops. You have given these troops a memory that will last a life time. These are hard times we are in and the president has taken the "road less travelled." He is a resolute, principaled leader who has had to make some difficult decisions and history will prove the necessity of the decisions he has made. To the troops I say...press on. Your work is not in vain. You are bold and brave and everything that the sniveling, liberal imbeciles in this country are not. To the returning soldiers who have come home from the war only to exercise your newfound perceived right to criticize the war, you are nothing but traitrous back-stabbers. Happy Thanksgiving to all our troops and God bless you and your families.

November 22, 2007 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  15. summus

Bush: "Hi this is the president"

Soldier: "Uh hello"

Bush: "Just calling to say thanks for dying for me. Sorry about telling that little fib that started this whole war thing. I thought if I won a war my daddy would be proud of me and I would be a big hero inside those history books. But oh well I'll be leaving soon- going back to Crawford to find a good place to mount Saddam's cool pistols on my library wall and make a whole bunch of money giving speeches."

soldier: "Am I being punked?"

November 22, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  16. CalifVet, Fresno Cal.

God bless all our men and women in the Military, and happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

November 22, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. TR, Cripple Creek, CO

If the president had any true concern or compassion for our troops he would not be sacrificing them in this illegal war he lied about to get them into in the first place. He doesn't understand their cacrifices, he hid out when he was in the military, and sacrificed nothing but brain cells to drug & drink while real soldiers were sacrificing.

November 22, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Max, Boston, MA

Obligatory phone calls accompanied by photo-ops don't deflect bullets.

Body armor would have. There's little that Bush can do to convince me that he cares one bit about the troops.

November 22, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. I. M. Peach

Nice of him to call.

November 22, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Jim, Columbus, GA

Just like to wish all you a Happy Thanksgiving – We really have a lot to be Thankful for ... especially our Brave American soldiers and their families sacrifice fighting the Islamofacists
    CSM (Ret) Jim Fowler

November 22, 2007 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. r.e. lowe allons, tn

you got the guts g.w.bush on thanksgiving Day calling those U.S. Military members around the world to expressing our gratitude did you express to them if you get seriously wounded and can't finish your re-enlist tour you may have to re-pay the re-enlist bonus we paid you. that gratitude? you are just a typical republican scum in my opinion!

November 22, 2007 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. MC Atlanta,GA

Oh please, I don't even know how he sleeps at night.

November 22, 2007 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  23. Jeff from Jersey

Our brave troops should be sitting in that chair,talking on their home telephones and smiling for their families,awaiting their home-cooked Thanksgiving feast, while the "IDIOT-IN CHIEF" and his henchmen are dodging bullets,eating sand and waiting for the next roadside bomb to go off!

This miserable excuse for a president doesn't understand SQUAT about real sacrifice!All he knows is that it's not him that has to make any!

November 22, 2007 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. leigh, pa

It's just a photo op for him!

November 22, 2007 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  25. US Marine, Overseas

I am part of the thousands of troops that fight for this country. If I was the Commander in Chief, I would have spent Thanskgiving overseas, surrounded by the brave men and women who fight to keep this country safe. I guess that makes too much sense. Thanks for the phone call George.

November 22, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |