November 23rd, 2007

Immigration a key issue in Iowa's GOP presidential race

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) - In some polls, immigration ranks behind only the Iraq war and the economy as Iowa voters' top issue.

A recent University of Iowa poll found that 58 percent of Republican voters consider the issue very important.

Republican candidates are trying to convince those voters that they are the ones to fix immigration as they head into the nation's first contest in the presidential primary season.

Iowa's meatpacking industry has become a magnet for illegal immigrants and the impact on taxpayers regularly makes headlines.

Iowa Republicans say the issue can make or break a campaign.

Full story

Filed under: GOP • Immigration • Iowa
  1. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

If you ask the people, a majority will tell tou: no amnesty or "path to citizenship" or driver's licenses or _any_ rights for illegals, and no more war in Iraq. What's so [gosh-darned] tough about these simple principles of justice and peace?

November 23, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. tiredofitall

who didnt know this already, america is fed up with the way this govt is selling us out to mexico, and all of mexicos problems. I cant afford to pay for their well being nor do I want to. How much do americans owe these people? Why do people think that legalizing these people wont do anything but get them fired from the jobs they stole from citizens. I mean if the companies werent willing to pay citizens today a fair rate, why are they going to change when this labor force is legalized? Then we get to see the full effects of these illegals, when we have 8-10 million uneducated, nonenglish speaking or reading, unskilled, unemployed new batch of american citizens. Cant wait to pay for that, hooray 80% taxes.

November 23, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  3. Kate, Aurora CO

For those who say illegal immigration improves our economy, what do you say to the people in Iowa who have lost their jobs? Are you going to tell them, "sorry but the illegal immigrant is doing a job American's won't do", well, I guess that argument won't work here. What do you say to those same Americans whose taxes are used to continue supporting the illegal immigrant who has stolen their job? We keep hearing talks of "immigration reform", well I have an idea, why don't we follow the laws that are currently effective? The price of illegal immigration is way too high to be ignored and too many of our citizens are also being ignored.

November 23, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  4. willa , dover de.

I for one feel like a sap. Does anybody else feel like a sap? I accompanied someone to the emergency room and saw several families speaking Spanish and appearing very newly emigrated who were with their children in the emergency room. But it didn't appear they had too severe of a trauma. I know most Americans pay a premium to cover themselves and THEIR children. Are these illegal aliens paying ANYTHING for the fine services of our American hosptials?

November 23, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  5. joseph,austin,tx

Posted By willa , dover de.

No willa you get to pay for the ones in your state, and I get to pay for the ones in my state. We should pass the bill onto mexico, but dont hold out any hope that mexico would take care of THEIR citizens.

November 24, 2007 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

Make a bet that if a republican wins that they will in the end do nothing about stopping the illegal crossing of our southern border.
    The republicans are using this as a smoke screen, a wedge issue if you will.

November 24, 2007 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. FT Doylestown, Pa.

Immigrantion is THE ISSUE of 2008....
    We all know that the Dem's are Pushing The "DREAM ACT" and Rudy and the gang just woke up to the Issue....
    I say LOU DOBBS FOR PRESIDENT!
    Can Count on him to Lead the Country and SHUT Both Borders!

November 24, 2007 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  8. Jeff from Phoenix, AZ

I got a flyer in the mail today from Walmart. It was written in English and Spanish. Nice. But I guess that since I still have my job, don't shop at Walmart, and learned to say 'no queso, por favor' when eating at McDonald's I don't care.

Then again, I do pay taxes on social services, my son does more homework than his Latino counterparts because they don't have to do homework they don't understand, and my Japanese friend is offended that he came here legally and works very hard to speak English. So maybe I will feel a little moral outrage afterall.

Most republicans I know already considered immigration a key issue. Maybe this article should have been dated November 23, 2006.

November 25, 2007 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  9. Bob, Roxboro, NC

tiredofitall

I agree with you completely. Another thing which isn't quite so obvious as low wages if we can earn any wages at all is,,,,12 to 20 million illegal immigrants are a substantial group of money spending consumers. So,,for the sake of businessmen, we must struggle to find work to do and subsidize the existence of low paid illegals. Just so the friends of politicians can be better off than their intelligence would ordinarily permit.

November 26, 2007 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |