November 24th, 2007

Clinton takes on China's toxic toys

Sen. Clinton announced a toy safety agenda Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – On one of the biggest shopping days of the year and the historical start of the Christmas shopping season, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, announced a toy safety agenda she would implement if elected to the White House.

“As the holiday shopping season begins, our government should be taking immediate action, decisive steps to ensure that the toys we are importing from China and other countries are safe,” Clinton said in a statement released Friday.

While Clinton noted many recent recalls of toys manufactured in China, the Democratic White House hopeful also placed responsibility on American companies that purchase toys from China and other countries. “They have to do a better job at every stage of the process, from design through production and shipping, to make sure that the toys they are bringing into this country – and profiting from – do not pose risks to children,” Clinton’s statement said.

Clinton’s toy safety agenda includes imposing obligations on American companies that import toys; requiring independent, third-party testing of toys; increasing the number of product inspectors; instituting a complete ban on lead in products intended for children; and increasing enforcement of civil and criminal penalties for violations of consumer product safety laws.

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Jason, Rockford IL

I do believe that Mark Penn is connected with some of these toys. I think somebody should probably point that out sometime.

November 24, 2007 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. Pall Forloney, Riomaggiore, Italy

You know you don't have to running for president tp act on toy safety. She could have done it as sentor and now she wants safety and Bush is the blame again. Please wake up Mrs. Clinton and really address the real problems..you lack of knowledge

November 24, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Jose Card

Some Democrats don't understand the situation in our country, which is no longer made up of two major parties only. You cannot ignore the growing number of Independents and undecided voters.

I am an Independent and I want to vote for the most qualified candidate no matter what his or her race or gender might be. Playing either card means failure. We need a strong leader for all Americans, not for a certain race or gender.

It is history to say that if you are not Democrats, you must be Republicans. If one criticizes Senator Clinton, it doesn't mean that the person is automatically a Republican.
    Wake up and Shape up, Democrats!

Independents are concerned citizens, who cannot afford to sit on the sideline any more.

November 24, 2007 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Ken, San Diego, CA

#1: The China-toy-issue is less than 1 year old. To suggest that Hillary (or any other senator) should've done something about this 7 years ago is a bit naive (and overly partisan). Human rights issues have always been front and center in China. Unfortunately, although NAFTA and other agreements have human rights language, governments (especially our own) have ignored that language. Yes, you can blame the administration for not enforcing the laws as noted in the trade agreements. And, if you're looking for someone to have done something, at least Hillary attended the Women's Rights Conference in Beijing in 1995. This is nothing to frown out.

#2. For all of you who say Obama is more electable, you need to put this thing into perspective: Hillary has been attacked by BOTH sides during this primary season (the price to be on top). She has yet to seriously attack rivals on either side. And, the DNC has yet to attack any of the Republican candidates (unlike the RNC...). Thus, the only way attacked thus far has been Hillary. Yet, she is still on top. How do you think Obama's (or another else's unfavorables will look after constant attack). In fact, Hillary is doing much better than expected. If she gets the nomination, she will be the only one with the experience and know-how to win a general election. For those of you who think Republicans will switch to Obama, yeah right...For those of you who DON'T think a good share of Republican women will jump to Hillary, yeah right...For those of you who think Arkansas will go to any other candidate (including Huckabee), yeah right...

November 24, 2007 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. Mark G, BBH,ME

Less government, everything she espouses is more and more government.

More taxes to pay for it and a redistribution of wealth, with the elite keeping and adding adn the middle shrinking to oblivion.

Leave it to the free market, the consumer can dictate the marketplace, oversight and safety to the consumer and corporation, incentive in staying alive by making quality procucts at a competitive price.

Govenment regulation drive away competition and creates what we have today, which is crap.

November 24, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  6. DMW, Roeland Park, KS

You all are just complainers. Anything Hillary says, is met with naysayers. You are just hating to be hating. It makes no logical sense anymore. Hillary is only one person; you all make it seem as if she can control EVERYTHING. You all are not being fair nor reasonable.

Remember, however, it is the American Public that wants CHEAT items. YOU are the ones that insisted on getting stuff on the cheat; and now that it is being uncovered that lead is in a lot of the Chinese toys (but we all know it is the dog food, toothpaste, and drugs as well and probably EVERYTHING from China) you want to moan and groan about it. HATE all of Congress and the White House as well as YOURSELVES for this. Stop depending on others to do the work. Start to buy items that are American made or from countries that inspect their goods.

Stop hating on Hillary and Hate on yourselves for being a HUGE part of the problem.

November 24, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Matt, Canoga Park CA

I demand you clean up your toys China or secretly funnel money into my campaign and I will back off of you.

Oh come one Hillary do you think any American will trust a Clinton to do the right thing with China? They own you.

And don't give some hollow promise that you will do something about this if elected President. In case you forgot your a Senator. You can do something about this RIGHT NOW!! But you won't and it's not like you would if you got elected.

You are bought and paid for with Chinese money.

November 24, 2007 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Desiree, Queens, New York

If the Republican party thought that Obama would be a threat, Karl Rove wouldn't be trying to give Obama tips on how to beat Hillary. Even Bush had to admit she's tough.

November 24, 2007 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. Dan, TX

Posted By Ken, San Diego, CA : November 24, 2007 3:30 pm

But Ken, Hillary is not the most electable. If she were dominating the democratic nomination process, she might have a chance. But where people are actually studying the candidates, particularly in Iowa, it's a toss-up.

If Clinton with all her fame and the love that all democrats have for her, still only pulls that level of support, it means that despite the fact she is loved by democrats, they don't think she's that good of a candidate.

In groups that are less in love with her, like independents; or groups that don't like her, like republicans; her support is low. She won't win – and most polls are already reflecting a close general election, despite how little people want another republican president.

November 24, 2007 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  10. Sally,portsmouth,NH

I just don't believe this woman at all....look up people..

November 24, 2007 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  11. Dallas, CA

Golly, Hill, I am so proud of you for taking such a risky stand against dangerous toys! With so many people favoring toxic lead-ridden and date-rape drug-laced toys, you are a beacon of hope for standing up against them. Wow, what a bold political move!

November 24, 2007 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. Walt, Belton, TX

The "Steel Girdle" takes on the lead tainted big time donations! Now that would be a headline!!! It'll never happen and the Chinese know it. Hillary's bought and paid for and the Chinese know it. It's in the bank!!!

November 24, 2007 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  13. Mark, TX

"I just don't believe this woman at all….look up people..
    Posted By Sally,portsmouth,NH : November 24, 2007 6:01 pm"

Yes, I looked up

"Mark Gorenberg, who now sits on 2008 Presidential candidate Barack Obama's national finance committee, remarked, "Despite it all, I still love the guy, despite everything you read, every experience I ever had with him was nothing but delightful, and I just scratch my head."[58]"

So its not only 'the woman' you should believe or not..

November 24, 2007 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. Ken, San Diego, CA

Dan, from Texas, you state that Hillary would be dominating the Democratic primary if...

The fact is, she is dominating the Democratic primary (most national polls have her leading anywhere from 20% to 30%). It's not fair to say that she should dominate every region in the U.S., as different people from different regions from different demographics respond to candidates, differently. Remember, before Hillary even went to Iowa, she was polling at about 10%. After a handfull of visits she took the lead (albeit small, but a lead nevertheless).

You also mentioned the following: "...and most polls are already reflecting a close general election, despite how little people want another republican president."

The fact is, Hillary does BETTER (in most polls) than any of the Democratic candidates versus any of the Republican candidates. But also remember, that the general election has not even yet begun, yet the RNC, the republican candidates, and the democratic candidates have been attacking Hillary (not to mention the media - recently - with the hopes of "tightening" the race). With all of the negative publicity she has recently received, she is STILL on top (in most polls).

Finally, national polls don't mean a whole lot, but state polls do. I'll reiterate what I stated before: What republican candidate can beat Hillary in red state Arkansas when not even Huckabee (ex-governor of Arkansas) is ahead of here there?

Best regards.

November 24, 2007 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  15. DAN, FAIR TAX,LA.

HI I'M HILLARY CLINTON. IF YOU BELIEVE EVERYTHING I SAY THEN VOTE FOR ME. -SUCKERS!!!

November 24, 2007 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. Ron Nebraska

Out of all these remedies she can't even mention trying to get toys and other goods to be actually produced IN THIS COUNTRY!!!

November 24, 2007 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. Bill, Owego, NY

So a bunch of people out there HATE Hillary, HATE Bill and Hate Democrats in general. Guess that's what the Republicans are all about- HATE.

November 24, 2007 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  18. lr, phila.pa.

Bushes, Clintons = CORRUPTION!

November 24, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  19. colors

"I just don't believe this woman at all….look up people.."

Well, I truly believe there are 2 women here we are talking about.

I did look up and I DO BELIEVE THIS WOMAN, FIRMLY. SHE IS NOT BUSH. SHE IS THE HOPE. SHE IS THE REAL CHANGE WE NEED. SHE IS A WOMAN !!!

I did look up and I DON'T BELIEVE THAT WOMAN MEDIA AND HER OPPONENTS LABELED AND MISREPRESENTED.

Wake up, America !

November 24, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. LQ ROCHESTER MN

I really wish someone would do something about these unsafe toys NOW. I really try not to buy Chinese products because of their deplorable human rights history. But my office has decided we all need to buy toys for Toys for Tots. I spent HOURS in stores yesterday – and I avoid stores during the Christmas season if I can. I shop online – and EVERYTHING I looked at was made in China. Sure, these particular toys have not been banned – yet. But in 2 weeks we could be hearing the doll I was going to buy is loaded with lead.
    Here we go again – another time when I will be labeled as "not a team player" in the office!!

November 25, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  21. Jose Card

Federal law requires all online contributors to confirm that the following statements are true and accurate. If you cannot confirm each statement, you are not eligible to contribute to the Ron Paul 2008 Presidential Campaign Committee.

1. This contribution is made on a personal credit or debit card for which I have the legal obligation to pay, and is made neither on a corporate or business entity card nor on the card of another.

2. I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident.

3. I am making this contribution with my own personal funds, and I will not be reimbursed by anyone for this contribution.

4. I am not a federal government contractor.

5. I am at least 18 years of age.

November 25, 2007 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  22. John Halverson DC

I guess if I don't quickly follow like a blind sheep I am a republican and Hillary hater? why is it that it is always the republicans? or a right wing conspiracy? I loved how Hillary said it was a left wing conspiracy a few weeks ago when she stumbled at the debate. It is always somebody else she can't ever take responsibility for her own actions. I guess I should just accept somebody that takes 2 weeks and 6 different positions on 1 subject, I guess I should also wait 13 months for her to start working on the lead problem assuming she makes it in. I guess if she isn't elected she will drop it like she did Health Care 14 years ago. So tell me WHAT HAS SHE DONE? all of the Clintonians please give me a list of everything she has done for this country. New Laws, great programs ANYTHING, please give me something because all I have gotten so far is HOT AIR.

November 25, 2007 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. Cody - Starkville, MS

*Sigh*

People never learn. Harken!

99% of toys made in China and imported to the United States are made by AMERICAN COMPANIES run by AMERICAN BASTARDS.

STOP BLAMING CHINA FOR THE FAULTS OF OUR OWN DIRTBAG CITIZENS WHO ARE RUNNING THIS CORPORATE BUREAUCRACY!

November 25, 2007 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  24. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

People are confusing too much, we didn't have toy problems in 1990's like now. Problems are Bush's staffs didn't care about Children's safety,food safety etc..., Government is broken totally, that's why we need Hillary Clinton back to White House, she can fix Bush's mess. She is only candidate knew how to handle Country's problems.

November 25, 2007 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  25. Hilary with one L, Rochester NY

For those who are concerned that Mrs. Clinton has failed to act on this issue as Senator, I direct your attention to S. 2132, "A bill to prohibit the introduction or delivery for introduction into interstate commerce of children's products that contain lead." You will find that this bill is sponsored by Barak Obama and co-sponsored by Senator Clinton and four others. Senator Clinton also signed on to Sen. Obama's Lead Free Toys Act of 2007 (S. 1306). You will also find her listed as a co-sponsor of Senator Durbin's Safe Food Act of 2007 (S. 654). I'd also point out that Mrs. Clinton's co-sponsorship of these bills dates back to May, not October or November. There are about a half-dozen other similar bills in the Senate alone, mostly sponsored by Senators Schumer and Durbin, so it's not as though no action is being taken on this in Congress.

As far as lead itself goes, Senator Clinton introduced S.2244, the Lead Elimination, Abatement, and Poisoning Prevention Act of 2007 in October (environmental contamination is the far more common lead poisoning scenario). I would refer those concerned about Senator Clinton's association with NAFTA to her Trade Agreement Assessment Act (S. 2222), which would require the International Trade Commission to periodically report on the specific impact of each free trade agreement in force with respect to the United States.

Enjoy.