November 24th, 2007

McCain and Santa make good politics

Sen. McCain and his mother, Roberta.

(CNN)–Santa Claus and presidential politics came together Friday in New Hampshire, when GOP hopeful, Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, and his mother attended a luncheon in Bedford, to kick off this year's 'Santa Fund,' sponsored by the New Hampshire Union Leader newspaper.

McCain attended the luncheon with his mother, Roberta. She donated $1,000 to the fund.

According to the paper, the 'Santa Fund' is a drive for the Salvation Army to help provide toys, food, and warm clothing for New Hampshire families in need during the holiday season.

With New Hampshire's position as the first primary in the presidential nominating contest, the paper will also soon draw the eyes of many in the political world, when it makes an endorsement for the January 8, 2008 primary.

Click here to see CNN's new political portal: CNNPolitics.com

– CNN Political Desk Editor Jamie Crawford

Filed under: John McCain • New Hampshire
  1. PoliticalTicker@gmail.com

I didn't realize there were so many deprived inner-city youths in New Hampshire. Or are there not enough cows for these kids to milk?

November 24, 2007 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. roger, conway sc

THE QUESTION IS how many votes will $1000 buy...

November 24, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  3. ne,pa.

More pandering.

McCain knows it's do or die for him in NH.

November 24, 2007 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Independent in IA

snicker, snicker...."Hey, Mom, ante up about thousand bucks for the 'Santa Fund'. Give that much, and they're sure to endorse me....no, Mom, I'm sure they're not Mormons."

November 24, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Jose Card

Have never seen a 95 year old lady sitting as straight as an admiral before. Mrs. McCain and her baby, Senator McCain have the family history written all over their faces. Out of curiosity, I googled for more information and found

Amazingly, Senator McCain went through about twenty schools during his youth as his father was transferred to different naval stations. We owe our servicemen and women for what we took for granted. If your school district is rezoned, you must have read or heard lots of complaints by parents about sending their kids to another school a few miles down the road.

I am sure Mrs. McCain did not start as admiral's wife so she, like all other military wives with absent husbands, had to be both mother and father to the kids. She is still such a tough cookie at 95. You can't blame Senator McCain for wanting to share his mother with you.

I can't believe that some people had posted such mean-spirited messages to a 95 year old lady, who gave so much of her life to our country. Unfortunately, without draft, many young people have no idea what it means to serve. I don't mean draft is better, but this may be an unexpected result.

November 24, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Ali A. Akbar

McCain's got great genes!

November 24, 2007 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. LQ, ROCHESTER MN

Just curious if she lives in NH? If not, just wondering why he did not attend with his wife.

The nasty comments towards this woman were due to the nasty comments she made about Romney's Mormonism. I'm no fan of Romney by any means, but that comment was uncalled for.

I just don't understand why McCain keeps showing off Mom unless it's to show he has "longevity genes". I've always had respect for his service, but so many of his public comments have been uncalled for (like mom, like son?)and his pandering to the extreme religious right – after criticizing them so openly and then losing the last time he ran – really disgusts me. Anything to get elected I guess. And that statement he made about how safe the streets of Baghdad – jeez, does he have a functioning brain anymore?

November 24, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. John, Manchester, NH

that event was actually two weeks ago. but way to keep on top of things, cnn

November 24, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  9. marie-hampton roads,virginia

“'Santa Fund' is a drive for the Salvation Army to help provide toys, food, and warm clothing for New Hampshire families in need during the holiday season.”

The Salvation Army is a wonderful Organization, the work and people they help on a local level, is greatly appreciated by those less fortunate.

It takes a sorry human being to leave such insulting comments-when people are doing good deeds. If you don’t like John McCain- fine! But don’t insult his family’s good deeds.

I will be voting for John McCain .

November 24, 2007 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. ne,pa.

To marie-hampton roads,virginia:

It takes a sorry human being to vote for McCain.

He's a war monger wanting ALOT more troops in Iraq...hello draft.
    He has a well known temper...mental issues.
    He 'll hand the country over to the illegals.
    He lacked spine when Bush bashed his family so badly in 2000.
    He's a Bush kiss-up.
    Just to list a few...

He's fighting for his political life in NH! No wonder why!

November 24, 2007 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  11. Liberal Chic

ne,pa. :

Hey, McCain is a decent guy. No need to attack him like that.

Jeus, that picture of him and his mother make them look like members of the Addams family. Couldn't they let them sit on a sofa so that they look more coazy and comfortable?

November 25, 2007 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  12. marie-hampton roads,virginia

To ne-pa:

I support the Global War against Islamic Extremist. Husband and Son are both serving ...voluntarily!

I would say John McCain’s temper stems from dealing with Liberal Congressional members ... how ridiculous to classify ones temper with mental issues. How many people do you know who don’t have a temper?

John McCain will secure the Borders FIRST! The Democrats are the ones you need to worry about, and the other Republican and Democratic Presidential Candidates, saying exactly what YOU WANT TO HEAR...LIP SERVICE-TO GET ELECTED!

John McCain was a POW for 5-1/2 years. He’s proven he’s got back-bone(“spine”)!

John McCain is the only Conservative Presidential Candidate who is respected by BOTH the Congressional Democrats and Congressional Republicans, meaning ... he has a chance to unite this severely divided Congress and Country!

If I were a Terrorist or any other World Leader up to know good -the one Presidential Candidate I would be weary of ... John McCain.

The other Presidential Candidates compared to John McCain: Weak. Inexperienced, Unable to reach across the Congressional Isle-four more years of NOTHING GETTING DONE!

Your quote ... “ It takes a sorry human being to vote for McCain.”

Actually, it only takes a person who is concerned about America’s future and the future of our children.

I will vote for John McCain and I won't be alone! He has alot of supporters. Look at his list of High profile Endorsers.

November 25, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  13. Jose Card

There is a big difference between what Senator McCain's 95 year old mother has to say and what former president Bill Clinton has to say in this campaign. Mrs. McCain can say whatever she wants, but you can be sure that her son won't share presidential power with her. She also apologized immediately after her comment on Mormoms and 2002 Olympics. When a person, who is almost a century years old, apologizes, I will accept it fully.

When we get to certain age, we may want to show off our parents as we are so proud of them. I can believe they both have longevity genes.

If I remember it right, Mrs. Cindy McCain works with disabled children around the world so she may not be able to attend in NH this time. If curious, she has a journal at

I may not 100% agree with Senator McCain's views, but I appreciate the McCain's honorable services to our country. Senator McCain and Congressman Ron Paul are both men of integrity. It's easier to speak with conviction when you are a sincere leader. I believe both men are in to serve, not just to win. Neither is on the pay roll of big corporations. I know they will represent me if elected.

Big corporations like to tell our politicians what they do is to keep their workers employed and the economy strong. But it has become cutting our own hands to feed our mouth. Our new president has to have long term vision and invest in education, technologies for humanities, national security and environment. Illegal immigration, health care and social security are three big issues that have to be addressed.

Thanks to Senator McCain for spending his Thanksgiving with our troops in Iraq!

November 25, 2007 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  14. Patrick, Denver CO

If McCain doesn't win the Presidency can we make him "Ambassador of Goodwill" to tour the country supporting good causes? I really believe he is one of the true all-time great Americans.

November 25, 2007 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  15. dw, ne

Okay, if you don't want to vote for McCain, fine. But please recognize he has been a great public servant and was at an event for the Salvation Army. Also, I would like to ask those that refer to his temper as bad not to use all caps or exclamation points.

November 25, 2007 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  16. FV, Tampa, FL

For someone who was a war hero Mccain sure is a spineless lap dog....

I swear Hillary has more balls than this guy.

November 25, 2007 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  17. ne,pa.

To marie-hampton roads,va:

First of all, I'm a registered Independent. I call these candidates as I see them, with allegiance to neither side.

McCain has a well known temper. Do you really think he came through five plus years of being a POW mentally unscathed? It's a sad thought, but I honestly don't think he's mentally stable enough to be the most powerful person in the world.

Yes, I'd say he lacked spine when his family was terribly bashed by Bush in 2000 and he took it. He couldn't defend his own family? I call that politics first.

As for the borders,he just tried to give the illegals citizenship and it failed... NOW he's talking about closing the borders. There's the "lip service" you mention.

McCain may be respected by both sides... I respect the man... but back him on major issues(as I listed previously... NO WAY! McCain won't unite this country... it would be more of the same.

You stated originally,"it takes a sorry human being to leave such insulting comments-when people are doing good deeds". Maybe the "good deeds" are innocent or maybe it's because he's a seasoned politician who needs votes badly. NH is critical for him.

You say "look at his list of high endorsers". This does not carry much weight with me because they each have their own agenda. I can decide for myself.

In the end, I support all the men and women serving this country and want nothing but the best for them.
    I don't think McCain is the person to turn things around for the better in this world and I won't hesitate to say so.

November 25, 2007 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  18. ne,pa.

To Liberal Chic:

You stated,
    "Hey, McCain is a decent guy. No need to attack him like that."

Are you serious?

We're talking about electing the most powerful person in the world here not the homecoming king.
    Let's get the issues out there and where these candidates stand on each. Personal weakness are fair game too.

Sometimes the truth hurts!

November 25, 2007 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  19. andrew s. rostolder hillsdale nj

john, ditch mom......... you guys look like the munsters....andy

November 25, 2007 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  20. marie-hampton roads,virginia

NE,PA:
    I personal don’t know anyone who doesn’t occasional have a temper when dealing with idiots. But comparing ones temper to mental stability is nonsense.

I have no-doubt that John McCain could have defended his family during the disgraceful 2000 personal attacks against his wife and his child. But in life we pick and choose our battles. Would you have had more respect for John Mccain had he lowered his set of standards and reacted by dragging Mrs. Laura Bush and her daughters threw the mud?

I opposed comprehensive immigration(still do-until it’s fair for Americans and English is the “official language”) .But let’s not lay this all on John McCain, he at least made an attempt to try and fix a problem. Equally distribute the blame. The American people have been let down on every level by their elected officials; past and present.

John McCain has clearly stated he will secure the borders first. I believe him. The other Presidential Candidates, lip- service.

What Presidential Candidate do you think has the leadership and ability to unite this severely divide Congress? It amazes me how people will condemn ones Presidential choice, yet lack the courage to admit who they will be supporting for the Presidency.

You say “more of the same”... your right, unless we elect someone who has the ability to work respectfully with Congressional Democrats and Republicans ... that would be John McCain.

This is tight race, New Hampshire is critical for all the Presidential Candidates, always has been.

The point I was trying to make about his endorsers, they have a lot of knowledge and experienced in all matters of importance to America and America’s safety. What other Presidential Candidate can compare? I could say more on this but you have access to the web.

I think John McCain is the only Presidential Candidate running who has the ability and leadership to tackle the important issues Americans, and the next generation of Americans are facing.

John McCain has clearly stated his position on all the issues, check out his website, click issues.

Trying basing your comments on facts instead of insults. And someone might take the time to leave an educated comment instead of sarcasm.

November 25, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  21. truth justice and the american way

Wow his mom looks great at 95 Mc Cain would have made a great president had he not been brain washed by big business and their need for illegal immigrant labor and so called free trade.
    Wonder what his mother thinks about these issues, maybe she should run for prez.

November 25, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  22. ne,pa

To marie-hampton roads,va:

You think because someone is respected everyone will agree with their views on issues. Hardly!

You want more of the same obviously and that's what you'll get with McCain. That's why his numbers are so low. He will never unite this country or congress with his unconditional support for this war. Where have you been? Most want the war to end.

Immigration has hurt him badly too. I don't believe he'd jump in and close the borders as he's saying. He's got big business on his back. Let's get real here.

McCain has a well documented history of temper tantrums, and an irrational explosive side. Mental issues to consider as commander in chief, YOU BET! Do some research on this!

Seven years later, people remember how he didn't defend his family against Bush in 2000 . He did that for political reasons, that's why it's held against him. Don't be naive.

You call my opinions insults and not facts. You really do need an reality check. Go to YouTube and Google and research everything for yourself. You may be surprised what you'll learn. That is if your open minded to it, which I sincerely doubt.

Our discussion was about McCain, but I'll be VERY happy to tell you who I support for president as a registered Independent.
    Because I want CHANGE and I want this country to head in a different direction then where we're headed now, I VERY PROUDLY support Ron Paul. My second choice is between Obama and Edwards. I wouldn't even consider McCain.

You're living in LaLa Land if you believe EVERYTHING any one of these candidates has to say. You seem to be with McCain. We'll never agree. He has you hook, line, and sinker. Period.

November 26, 2007 10:55 am at 10:55 am |