November 26th, 2007

Cheney to receive treatment for irregular heartbeat

Cheney is set to undergo a heart procedure Monday afternoon.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Vice President Dick Cheney will undergo a heart procedure Monday afternoon after doctors discovered an irregular heartbeat, his office announced.

Cheney was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat, when he visited his doctor Monday morning complaining of a lingering cough after a cold. It was then that the arrhythmia was diagnosed, the vice president's office reported.

Doctors described the procedure - intended to shock the heart back into normal rhythm - as routine, and said they expect the vice president to return to his residence Monday night.

The 66-year-old vice president has had a history of heart ailments - including four heart attacks dating back to 1978 - and was briefly hospitalized in January 2006 after suffering shortness of breath.

– CNN White House Correspondent Ed Henry

Filed under: Dick Cheney
  1. Louron J Styers Dover, DE

I hope the Draft Dodger drops DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

November 26, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. aj huntington ny

oh that's real nice 'lorenz'liberals wishing bad things upon others – is that in the liberal code of behavior?

November 26, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Niki, Long Beach, CA

To Lorenz: That is a terrible and rude thing to say, you should be ashamed of yourself to wish that upon another person regardless of your political views. Karma will hit you back.

November 26, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Jeanne, Washington, DC

Not to belittle this man's condition, but are we confirming that he Actually has a heart now??

November 26, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Ottawa ON Canada

He has a heart?

November 26, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  6. James Warren, San Antonio, Texas

No, do not wish him dead. Live he serves as a reminder. Do not wish anyone dead.

November 26, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. AJ; Montpelier, VT

This must be a joke – "Dick Cheney" and "heart" dont belong in the same sentence.

November 26, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. Josh columbus, Ohio

I dont like the VP either, but I really dont think it is wise to wish something would go wrong......

November 26, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. Jean Lubbock Texas

I did'nt know he had a heart.

November 26, 2007 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

"I can't get the image of myself holding the paddles when he gets cardioverted!!! Oh man–did that hurt Dick? Sorry.

Good luck Dick! I truly hope all goes well, sincerely.

November 26, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Natalie Oxford, PA

He's already full of gears and pulleys. They'll just adjust his fly wheel and send him on his way. That's how you tune up a cyborg.

November 26, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Wes, Mobile, AL

Wow, what a hateful remark.

November 26, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Matt, Somewhere, SC

Though I am not a fan of his policies, I wish him the best. My prayers are with him.

Lorenz, that comment was quite rude.

November 26, 2007 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. George, Covington, KY

I would be absolutely ashamed to say such a thing

November 26, 2007 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. Maurice Nashville, Tn

Karma, Dick, Karma... Trent needs a hunting buddy....go out the door with him... NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 26, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Daniel, Portland, Ore

He has a heart?

November 26, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. JB, NYC

Ah the compassionate liberals.. I am sure they'll hope for the best..
    Remember we are all watching..

November 26, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. Black Hills, SD

No malice in this just fact. When I have the same symtoms I am told to take an aspirin and relax to see if it gets better. My medical inurance has a 3000 dollar deductable and I am 12 dollars an hour. I work a job and a half to make ends meet. No malice just wondering what is wrong.

November 26, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Bio Guy Lighthouse Point FL

I didn't know he had a heart.

November 26, 2007 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I wish Cheney well, however, why is it that Cheney always has a procedure done when something important is going on that should or does involve him.

November 26, 2007 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. p.h,. Riverton ,Wy

Thats incredible. I did not know Cheney had a heart.

November 26, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. David, Santa Rosa , CA

How can one undergo a heart procedure when this tyrant obviously has no heart? Maybe this "change of heart" will help awaken him to all of the suffering he has caused. Just goes to show that no matter how much money you pilfer thru acts of aggression, it still can't buy your health.

November 26, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Bonny Zaleski, Redding, CT

How can a man without a heart have so many problems? Look at what his deals on oil have done to the heart of America...No pity here....

November 26, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. Alex, Washington DC

That's just mean-spirited. He needs to survive in order to stand trial before the International War Crimes Tribunal.

November 26, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. Don

This is completely bull! Cheney, a Heart???????

November 26, 2007 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |