November 26th, 2007

Huckabee bringing Chuck Norris to CNN/YouTube debate

Norris and Huckabee appear in a campaign ad running in Iowa.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee appears to be milking cult hero Chuck Norris' endorsement for all it's worth.

The former Arkansas governor told reporters on a conference call Monday morning that the “Walker Texas Ranger” star will be joining him at the CNN/YouTube debate this Wednesday night.

"[He] will be part of that experience," Huckabee said. "So it will be fun and hopefully very substantive."

Norris officially endorsed Huckabee last October, hailing him as a "respected and fearless leader" and one who's "not afraid to stand up for a Creator and against secularist beliefs."

Since then Norris has penned a fundraising e-mail on Huckabee's behalf, and even appears alongside the candidate in a television ad running in Iowa.

"When Chuck Norris does a push up, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the world down," Huckabee, quoting the now famous "Chuck Norris Facts," says in the ad.

On Monday, Huckabee credited the ad for brining "a lot of attention" to his presidential bid.

"We had a lot of fun with it and it did exactly what we wanted it to do, and that is drive record numbers of people to our Web site," Huckabee said. "And it has made the rounds on YouTube and as people have e-mailed it to their friends, it has had a big impact on the 18-30 year-old market, which we expected it to do."

Huckabee also brushed aside criticism from some for promoting Norris' endorsement, as well as that of professional wrestler Ric Flair, so heavily.

"The only flak I get is from people who wish they had them," he said. "The rest of the time people are enjoying it and having fun with it as I am."

Huckabee's comments come the same day he announced the release of a new TV ad in Iowa.  The 30-second spot, called "Believe," touts his conservative stances on social issues.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Iowa • Mike Huckabee • South Carolina
  1. John Round Rock, Texas

Hello Sam,
    And thank you for your reply stating that you don't know where to start.
    "I think it's pretty sad when people write that it's not possible to believe in God and also believe that he can decide how he wants to create – whether through evolution or any other device."
    This one means that God can do whatever He wants. If He wants to create the animal kingdom by using evolutionary permutations – then He can do that – after all, He's God.

"For those who espouse that evolution IS God,"
    This one means that there is a large group of people out there who worship evolution – they think evolution is God. The follow-on logic of being entirely devoted to the theory of evolution then applies.

"...then I say, "Show me the bridge between animal and man." No one has ever been able to do that..."
    It is true, that if man is a direct descendant of a lower species, then there must be an identifiable species that served as an intermediary to man. Monkeys and chimps don't do it. There's too big a gap there for this to make biological sense. So, if purely evolution is at work here, then there must be another species in the fossil record that shows directly that man came from a lower animal – there isn't any.
    "Please distinguish between theory and fact. To do otherwise exposes you to be a fraud, and not well educated."
    Just yelling, "I'm right, I'm right," doesn't make you right. If your "theory" can't be well defended, then you don't have a theory.

"Go Chuck, you bring at least as much sanity to this as Hillary does."
    Chuck makes at least as much sense as Hillary Clinton, and, unlike Hillary with Vince Foster, all Chuck's dead guys are on TV.
    "Love."
    Self-explanatory.
    Love.

November 26, 2007 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  2. AMan

November 26, 2007 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. duff, Goleta CA

Wait...Seriously?

Ehh, I guess it's to be expected....they're all a bunch of idiots anyway. Hopefully this makes people realize that Huckabee is one of the bigger ones. Doubt it though.

November 26, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. Marshall

Prevailing winds on the Internet are now saying that Chuck Norris effectively "jumped the shark" when he sided with Huckster.

November 26, 2007 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. Bill, Boston

"Lou Dobbs" from Plano, TX-

"...your ignorent seperation...." You are calling someone uneducated in a rant in which you misspell two words that are on 3rd grader's spelling tests. hahaha.

November 26, 2007 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

Perhaps Chuck can team up with Huckleberry as he explains to consumers how much their healthcare will cost once he exempts business owners from having to provide it? Or perhaps–forcing the insurance companies to reduce their monthly premiums so the people in Florida where I live(average pay less than $20.00 an hour w/ husb./wife working)will be able to afford their own health insurance plans. His agenda says: Jobs don't need health insurance–people do. He is against employers having to fund healthcare because it makes "econmomy sluggish". He is against universal healthcare. But beyond these comments–HE HAS PUT FORTH NO REALISTIC REPLACEMENT PLAN TO MAKE HEALTH INSURANCE AFFORDABLE TO THOSE WHO WANT IT.

November 26, 2007 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. Steve, Lyons, CO

A has been, pathetic bible thumper with a mission to force prayer into public schools, endorsing a christian extremist who would like the bible to be the Constitution of the U.S.

Just the goofy story we need to start the week!

November 26, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Ricardo Castanon, Madera California

The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake

November 26, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Ron, TX

My vote is going to Obama, but I have nothing against Huckabee for parading around Chuck Norris. He's a cultural icon, might as well use him to increase visibility.

And I must say, Chuck would make an awesome Secretary of State! The US could save money on bodygaurds...

November 26, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  10. Larry Craig, Airport Bathroom

"

Being an atheist myself, I struggle with the idea of having one in the White House. Since I don't believe in anything after this life, I, and many other atheists, have spent our lives in hedonistic endeavors since it's all about us. I don't think you'd want one of us in D.C. Posted By AMan "

Wow, I totally believe you are an atheist. By a strange coincidence, I am as Christian as you are atheist, and I assure you that I have spent my life and career molesting children and stealing everything that's not nailed down.

November 26, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. rob

I was listening to talk radio and some guy called in saying he was going to vote for "Hucklebee". This is what this nation has come to. Voters read so little that they support a candidate BUT THEY CAN'T SPELL HIS NAME.

November 26, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Mark, Shreveport, LA

What's next: a debate question being asked by a talking snow man?

November 26, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. summus

chuck and gomer. God's Christian warriors.

November 26, 2007 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Chris, Pensacola FL

Some of people are going to be totally screwed at the coming.

I can understand a disdain from organized religion, but I cannot believe the hatred and agony toward God some of you have.

It's going to be a char fest and He won't be roasting smores.

November 26, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  15. Fingerbo

Norris is a kneejerk right-winger and has-been who needs to get back in the limelight. I've read his columns on the repellent WND site and they're awful neo-con garbage. Huckabee can have him.

November 26, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  16. Bill, Bloomington IL

Do we really want a president that does believe in evolution? Think about it.

November 26, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Bill, Bloomington IL

Speaking of zeros, how are the last 20 Canadian Prime Ministers doing?

November 26, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. john w , nyc

Chuckabee seems like a decent enough guy; ummm...who thinks the world is 6000 years old (fossils?) and dinasaurs and people lived together (the flinstones). Chuck Norris is funny, not ha ha funny, dead clown funny. His career is about on par with David Hasselhoff, who @ least has the good sense to make fun of himself. Ric Flair??? That is too awesome for words (literally-"words" are not used when ric flair and chuck norris team up and put the boots to the enemy combatants. more of a grunting yowling about freedom and jesus)

November 26, 2007 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Travis, Columbus, OH

Hey John, you dim witted fool, the reason you can't find the bridge between animal and man is the fact that our ancestors killed off the bridge specieces. Humans and the "bridge" competed for territory and food, and just like human nature, we killed them for control of it. Survival of the fittest.

As for Chuck Norris, I'd rather be endorsed by Chuck Woolery. The ladies love that dude.

Posted By Bill McPhereson, Tulsa, OK : November 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Hey Bill, you even more dimwitted fool, even if our ancestors did hunt and kill this mythical "bridge" species to extinction, there would still be RECORDS of its EXISTENCE in FOSSILES, exactly the same evidence we have of the dinosaurs. That is, unless our primitive relatives were able to grind every single one of these missing links around the planet to absolute dust. Show me the method by which the laws of thermodynamics are broken to add more complexity to organisms in a closed system without an outside energy or "creative" force, and I will begin to believe macroevolution as more than just a thinly veiled attempt to deny the existence of God.

November 26, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. Paula Jacobs, London England

I cannot tell you how wrong you are!!! Huckabee is not milking, squeezing or extracting Norris or Flair. Both men are eager and willing endorsers that add that karate-chop-excitement to what is already a remarkably uplifting campaign!

November 26, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. Rational Thought NYC

awesome. do you believe in santa, the tooth fairy, chupacabra, darth vader, voldemort, and sauron as well?
    2007 man, climb out of the cave of your lizard brained superstitious mind. I guess you avoid walking under ladders too.
    ------------–
    Some of people are going to be totally screwed at the coming.

It's going to be a char fest and He won't be roasting smores.

Posted By Chris, Pensacola FL : November 26, 2007 2:26 pm

November 26, 2007 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. Sam, Clearwater Beach

John,
    Mostof the people that I know (including myself) belief in evolution but in no way believe that evolution is God, in fact quite the opposite. I believe that evolution is science. I'm assuming that you're referring to intelligent design which is the blending of evolution and religion???

As far as proving a fact versus a theory- science is made up of theories- some of them take time to prove- like the theory that the atom was the smallest known particle. Darwin witnessed evolution on the Galapagos islands when he saw species transform to meet the demands of their environment. You are correct however in saying that there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding evolution such as the missing link. I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm not nerely intelligent enough to assume that I know all of the answers, all I can do is to make the most intelligent choice given the facts that I have. If I had to chose between the two theories of mankind evolving over millions of years or some invisible presense creating the world by saying 'Let there be light' because it is written somewhere in a 2000 year old book, I would have to go with evolution.

November 26, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  23. Wallace Chicago, IL

Where are the "racial overtones" comments PEOPLE?

James from Phoenix Arizona?
    Dan from Columbia Maryland?
    And the rest of you?

Where are you with the comments?

So it's okay to trash Obama and Oprah by screaming "reverse racism" and "she's only supporting him because he's black", but for Norris and Huckabee, it's okay not say a word huh?

Things that make you go hmmm... How strong are your arguments now? Go back to Fox news, I mean Faux News. Then we wonder why this nation is so screwed up. How can you begin to talk about fairness, when you're a hypocrite on this issue?

Just call it like it is. If you're a bigot or simply misguided, then just say it.

Wallace

November 26, 2007 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  24. Wayne, Greenville TX

Posted By John Round Rock, Texas:

"Show me the bridge between animal and man."

It lives in the top floor of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC. And on occasion it files out to its pig farm in Crawford TX.

November 26, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |