November 27th, 2007

I was with Fred

The Thompson family arrived in Florida Tuesday for the CNN/YouTube debate.

Somewhere over South Carolina (CNN) - I am in a coach middle seat, flying from Washington, D.C. to Tampa, Florida on US Airways Flight 1491, destined for the CNN-YouTube GOP debate in St. Petersburg.

The child cooing two rows in front of me is Samuel Thompson, potentially the nation’s future first toddler. Come inauguration time, the GOP presidential hopeful's youngest son would be about two years old. The pint-sized campaigner sports short blond hair and a giggly, camera-ready smile.

The whole Thompson clan is on board: Fred, Jeri, daughter Hayden, 4, some extended family, and of course, a few Thompson suits. The former Tennessee senator and wife fly first class, but it’s a far cry from private jets.

On the tram to the terminal, I ask the Law & Order star whether he’s reviewed all 5,000 YouTube questions in preparation for tomorrow’s debate.

He shakes his head and admits, “I didn’t know there were that many.”

– CNN Senior Producer Alex Wellen

Filed under: CNN/YouTube Debate • Fred Thompson
  1. a

She married him for his money. A woman like that? Yes. She married him for his money.

November 27, 2007 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  2. ds

sd

November 27, 2007 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  3. jms, Tn

I guess he had to give up his drug buddy's jet.

November 28, 2007 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  4. Scott, Austin, TX

Who's Fred Thompson?

November 28, 2007 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  5. AJ, IL

Wow! Look at Fred's daughter! I mean wife, I mean daughter, I mean wife. I see a potential personal attack on Fred Thompson looming. When Fred and his wife married in 2002, Mrs. Thompson was 35 years old and Senator Thompson was 59. Geez! He is old enuf to be her father!

November 28, 2007 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  6. Bill C DC

Man he has a hot Granddaughter! and his great grandson is cute too.

November 28, 2007 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  7. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

Can I get a "trophy wife"?

November 28, 2007 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  8. Art , Del Mar, CA

Fred ! ...oh Fred !!...anybody home there?..This is the picture of a man who truly needs a meaball sandwich and a good nap!

November 28, 2007 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  9. ProudVet ny ny

Good for you Sen. Thompson, what a great SMILE! keep it on.

November 28, 2007 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  10. Independent in IA

His candidacy is laughable, his 'vision' deplorable and his demeanor disgusting. Anyone who would vote for this clown needs their head examined by a psychiatrist.

November 28, 2007 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  11. Dave, Atlanta, GA

That has got to be the fakest smile I've seen in my life

November 28, 2007 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  12. hey allons,tn

that bunch is worth talking about just more old fred do nothing for the people of american just him self.

November 28, 2007 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  13. Fred T. Redpickup USA

Look at the size of that boys cranium! It's HUGE! It's like an orange stuck to a toothpick!

On a serious note, flying in first class doesn't really equate to his image as a red pickup driving hillbilly does it?

November 28, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |