November 27th, 2007

Kennedy gets big payout for book deal

Kennedy is set for a big payout.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Ted Kennedy, who first entered the Senate as a 30-year-old in 1962, has signed a major book deal to publish his memoirs.

Hachette Book Group USA is reportedly paying the senior senator from Massachusetts more than $8 million to a pen a book detailing his life - one of the highest payouts in history, according to the Boston Globe.

In a statement announcing the deal, Hachette CEO David Young said the book will be "a valuable record for anyone who cares about our government, our politics, and our growth as a nation."

"It will also tell the story of a remarkable American family that contributed to some of the most significant historical events of the last century," Young added. "We are honored to be Sen. Kennedy's publisher and are certain that multitudes of readers around the world share our eagerness to read his story."

Kennedy said the book will be comprised of recent reflections on his personal memories.

"I hope my reflections can contribute to a deeper understanding of many events in the history of this great country and to a more in-depth picture of an American family," Kennedy said in a statement.

Neither Kennedy's office nor his agent would confirm how much the senator is being paid, but Kennedy spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter told CNN, “A large portion of the proceeds will be given to charity, including the JFK library where he will place his papers.”

The memoir is expected to hit bookshelves in the fall of 2010.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Dugald McConnell

Filed under: Ted Kennedy
  1. Benjamin Schlechter Dandridge,TN

I think America has had enough of the Kennedys and their so-called "curse". If someone else had driven that car off the bridge and killed Mary Jo Kopechne, that person would still be doing time or have long since been electrocuted. If the people of Massachusetts were smart,they'd retire Ted and bring on someone that is NOT a Kennedy.

November 27, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. JIM DAYTON,OHIO

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MAN FROM A WONDERFUL FAMILY.OUR NATION WILL BE ENDEBTED TO FOR LIFE. MAY GOD BLESS THE KENNEDY FAMILY.

November 27, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Raymundo, G'ville Florida

Why not wait for his party to raise taxes so he can help his fellow countrymen, but I'm sure his party will insert an adequate loophole to ensure his elitist family evades their responsibility once again.

November 27, 2007 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. Bob, Roxboro, NC

Moderator:

Since I haven't any respect from you in the form of responding to my question about why you censor me,,, I've written to others in the CNN organization.
    I'd like to hear from you regarding your tendency to censor every post I place on your site.

November 27, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  5. Tom - Dedham, Mass

I am more looking forward to reading his obit someday, real soon I hope.

That way we can read and see everyone fawning over him and his families "legacy", while anyone that dares tell the truth will be hammered by the usual suspects.

My little bro was named after JFK and my family had a huge devotion to Bobby as well, but this guy was a drunken womanizer, enabler of MANY nephews that commited rape and murder etc, etc ("Do you know who I am?"), got thrown out of college FOR CHEATING and is only generous with OUR money to the do-nothings of this country.

I knew of Jack and Bobby Kennedy, and Ted "the swimmer" Kennedy, you were not even in their league.

I am stocking up on the Chivas, the "Chowda" and the lobsters, can't wait for that party too happen and neither can my hundred or so guests that ALL will attend.

November 27, 2007 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. IM Disgusted, Ferndale, MI

Will the book detail Mary Jo Capeckne's untimely demise?

November 27, 2007 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Megha, San Antonio, TX

Teddy is a hero and a fighter for this country-just like John and Bobby! Boo to the Kennedy haters. Shouldn't the republicans be nicknamed eternal haters?

November 27, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. Bob, San Francisco, CA

Reading the utter stupidity and mean-spirited comments from typical, dumb American hicks here is why I pretty much have given up on the Ticker (and sadly, on any optimism for the future).
    America gets what it deserves. As our educational system declines and we turn more and more into a society of Wal Mart shopping turds who are easily manipulated with bumper sticker propaganda, we cannot expect anything other than the decline that is currently underway.

November 27, 2007 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  9. Tom, AlBUQUERQUE, NM

Ted Kennedy is the most cherished Democratic icon in American history and is indeed a living legend. I am looking forward to adding his book to my vast library of Kennedy related tomes.The critics of this great man will try to demean his work by trying to hatchet him with the Marry JO incident but Ted is much more than that. Mr Kennedy has always fought for the common man and for the poor.

November 27, 2007 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. Christopher, hating the south for 40 years, Madison, WI

You make me sick. Only God, himself, could allow a bloated selfish pig to avoid massive heart failure, remaining in this world – an example of what greed and corruption can do.
    Posted By Mike Mass : November 27, 2007 2:06 pm

And so enters Cheney and Denny Hastert.

November 27, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Ryan Indianapolis

Cant wait to find out how you drive off a bridge drunk and get away with it??????This guy is Pathetic.

November 27, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. aj huntington ny

doesn't surprise me. Democrats – especially Kennedy Democrats are all about big money, big government, big entitlement programs big, big, BIG.

November 27, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Mary Jo

I'm sure he will donate all his income to charity. The same thing he does with his income from being Senator. He only takes $1 per year for being Senator. So all you Kennedy haters can relax to where his income will go.

Posted By Joe, Boston, MA : November 27, 2007 2:56 pm

I know where I'd like to put it all, and in rolls of quarters...............

November 27, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Kate, Aurora CO

Since he seems to be more concerned with those who have broken our laws by sneaking in illegally, perhaps he should donate all the money (including the inital payment) to the public schools that are failing due the overcrowding, or to any one of the hundreds of emergency rooms forced to close due to nonpayment of bills by illegals, or to the WIC program that is depleted from newborns of illegals, or maybe even better he can donate the money to jails that are forced to feed, cloth and protect the illegal immigrants.

November 27, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  15. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Can't wait to read Kommandant Ann Koulter's review of this book.

November 27, 2007 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  16. bill Farmingville N.Y.

I wonder if the book will be in English ???

November 27, 2007 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. Mike, Texas

The title of the book will be,

"How I Survived and No One Else Did...From Family, Girlfriends and Friends"

OR

"How O.J. Should Have Done It And Still Kept All His Stuff"

Pathetic....that'll be his number one given Christmas item for next year...I'd rather have a freeze dried Fruit Cake. Oh, wait....they are the same!

November 27, 2007 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Has Anne Coulter ever been paid that much for her science fiction?!

I didn't think so.

How about Bill O'Reilly?!

I didn't think so.

Bush is going to put a biography together. The ten page coloring book will come complete with number marks on the pictures and on the crayons to assist those in the trailer parks most likely to buy it.

November 27, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  19. Michelle D - Atlanta, GA

You can joke all you want to but you have to give the guy some credit. He comes from one of the most powerful and priveledged families in American history. I doubt he will share any family secrets (like Marilyn & JFK or what really happened on the Chap. bridge that night), but I'll bet it's a good read none the less.

Heck, for 30 years of living a life in politics and for knowing how JFK and Bobby influenced in his life alone, I would read it.

It's history afterall – no matter if it was good, bad or immoral, it's still history.

November 27, 2007 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  20. Sandy Burger. KS

Kennedy is NOT a hero but he is a big loser.

He wants Americans to support law breaking illegals but can't withstand illegals trespassing his property.

He wants to support alternate energy but can't support a wind mill near his estate. What a big hypocrite.

Practice what you preach, you big loser.

November 27, 2007 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  21. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

Bob..in San Fransisco...
    America is the story here Bob. Hail CNN for allowing free and open input of everyone's 2 cents. Join the fun! Much of the input is lopsided and sometimes downright untrue...but that is where the voice of reason is heard Bob. This forum allows us "liberal" commies–an opportunity to actual respond to the "Limbaughists" and others who do not have the benefit of reason, judgement, and independent decision making. They're letting their own fears and propoganda to blurr their commonsense. Keep on coming back Bob...and for God's sake–vote.

November 27, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. john williams san diego, ca.

three people i want to meet at the gates of hell..Jimmy,a female dem.presidential candidate and 'THE' inventor of waterboarding, Mr. Teddy

November 27, 2007 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  23. Danny

Oh my God. How come Kennedy became a Hero? Give me a break. For me he is a Zero. He is the most pathetic senator we have in the senate today and always has been. I cannot imagine what lind of a senator he is and thos Massachussetts loons vote for him. Ted.. Go away. Give others a chance.I am not sure if CNN will publish these lines.

November 27, 2007 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. Ron Nebraska

Bring up the fact that a woman he was with died due to his actions and comparing it to a conspiracy theory.

Pleeaaase

Posted By T. Pipe Owosso MI : November 27, 2007 2:48 pm

Dude, WAY more than one person has died because of Bushs' actions.

November 27, 2007 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |