November 28th, 2007

Clinton wins surprise endorsement - but will it matter?

Clinton was endorsed by Susan Lynch, wife of the New Hampshire governor, earlier this week.

CONCORD, New Hampshire (CNN) – The effects of the surprise decision by Susan Lynch, wife of New Hampshire's popular Democratic Gov. John Lynch, to endorse Hillary Clinton are still being debated here in the
Granite State.

Some analysts have dismissed the impact of the nod, since the governor himself is remaining pointedly neutral. "It's more symbolic than anything else," Dante Scala, an associate professor of political science at the University of New Hampshire, told the Concord Monitor Tuesday.

"The governor's endorsement, I think, is the only one that really matters in and of itself."

But others point out that Susan Lynch, a practicing pediatrician, represents an affluent white female voting bloc that will be a major factor in primary voting – while her decision to frame her support for the New York senator in terms of health care policy gives Clinton a credibility boost on that important issue.

"As a mother and as a pediatrician, I share Hillary Clinton's commitment to fighting for children and families," said Lynch, in the release announcing her support. "We face big challenges, and I believe Hillary Clinton is the best candidate to deliver the changes we need."

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • New Hampshire
  1. David, Gilbert Arizona

Mrs. Lynch has a look on her face that says, "what was I thinking." She has a pasted on smile but her eyes tell a different story all together.

November 28, 2007 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. Adam Monroe

I heard George Washington's tenth cousin, once removed, endorsed Hillary. She is sure to win the nomination now.

Hill is going nowhere.

November 28, 2007 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. Honestly, TX

And Hillary says Susan has all the important experience needed to be the Governor of New Hampshire too!

November 28, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Kevin, Southern IL

Come on! Hillary let Bill do the ultimate wrong to their marriage. What kind of wrong will she let other countries (or terrorist organizations) do to the U.S.? She also gave up on her own State for her personal political agenda. Why is she even still being considered a candidate? The 1st woman and the 1st African American candidates give the Democrats hope. But can't they find better people?

November 28, 2007 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  5. Kerry Keegan, North Yarmouth, Maine

Let's hope it does matter. Supporting Hillary is an endorsement for each women and child, not only in the US but also in the world. It is time folks!

November 29, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. evelyn, clearwater, fl.

This is a general comment; why do we have to chosse between civil rights and security. they are both equally importantand need to be respected.violation of civil rights leads to violation of human rights. Do we want our country to go on the same road as these third world country where civil rights violation lead to human rights violations. look at peru, bolivia, venezuela, colombia. innocent people and families die every day in the hands of the same ones who are suppose to protect them. Is this were we are heading by giving so much power to organization that already have too much, and of course want more. Is it really for the protection of our country. ? or for their personal benefit and friends benefits. ? america nedds to open up their eyes before is too late for civilians to have a normal life. Our government has prove over and over to be broken, corrupt. Do we want to lose more frredom. ? isn't it enough all we have lost in the past years. why do we believe everything these powerful organizations are saying. ? some may be honest but if others aren't then do we really think the others will blow the wissel.? no way they protect each other as much as they ccan. and what about us. ? Many of them abuse their power to hurt innocent people and thank God we still have civil rights or else waht will happen to our future families. ? we will not live here etrnally to protect them. please do not make people pick between those two. Our civil rights are as important as security. We are all in this country hated so much by others if we keep on making divisions then that is what is going to make us lose the war on terror, because together we can make a stronger america and all keep an eye on what may be harming our country. division leads to destruction. thank you..

December 3, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. Kat

Hillary has recieved more money from lobbyists than I think all of the other canidates combined. I think she will do or say anything to be the next President. I am a woman, white, highly educated and completely baffled by how any intelligent clear thinking American woman could possibly not see through her phoney tears. Please the only award she should be getting is a golden globe for fooling so many women.

I am an Independent but tend to vote republican; however, Bush's involvement in Iraq, in combination with the trillions of dollars that we have spent on this war, is infuriating to me!

Many of my Republican friends love Barak Obama, even some of the most conservative evangelical ones. If the Democrats really want the white house in 2009, they should support Obama, if they want to see people come out of the woodwork to vote against a Democratic canidate in the final election, they should vote for Hillary in the primary election.

Clinton is a polarizing canidate who has blasted Obama after declaring that Democrats should be above the fray of attacking one another , stolen campaign ideas from both Edwards, and Obama and does not have any fresh or original ideas of her own!

I am stay at home mother, serve as a trustee on a Board of Directors for a private school for dyslexia and volunteer many hours for my sons two of whom are in public school and one who is in a private Catholic school. I am a retired Vice President from one of the top financial service companies in the world, and have chosen to stay home with my children.

While Chelse was home probably with a nanny eating store bought cookies while her mother was travelling on one of her trips to one of the eighty plus countries she has visited, (on our tax dollars by the way!) my kids were greeted with a warm hug, a warm cookie, and a tall glass of milk when they got home from school!

I still resent her obnoxious comment about not having "stayed home to bake cookies." Wake up people...she is a maniupulative, ambitious, devisive person and it's time to let the Bush and Clintonian dynastys be in the history books where time and more scrutiny will feret out the real good and bad of their contributions.

Barak will get my vote. I encourage others to support him as well. Just think what it would be like to have a canidate for whom Dems, Repubs, and Independents like and support. I am HOPEFUL for the first time in a long time. It is because of Barak, that so many people are flocking to register and of course it is because so many of us have felt so unhopeful prior to this campaign.

And as for those who say it is time to have a black president, I could care less what color his skin is or even whether he is a man or a woman. We haven't had a canidate like Barak since Bobby Kennedy. He is a breath of fresh air! He is inspirational; he is a genuine leader.

As for Clinton's challenges of having 35 years of experience? Has she run her own company? NO Has she been a Governor? NO Just because my husband is a CEO/President of his own company does not qualify me to be hired to run a company. And it certainly does not qualify her to be the next President!

And as for Bill Clinton? REALLY? I am embarrassed for him! Slamming your wife's competitor (Obama) simply reveals how very little class you have and makes you look desperate and pathetic. As a former President, I would expect a more dignified stance. My God? Do people really want him in the White House again as First Man?

Do people really think that he can sit on the sidelines and not need the glow of the spotlight? Are people in this country really so naive?

Obviously the people in Iowa are far more intelligent than 37% of the people in New Hampshire. Let's hope the rest of thw country has more sense!

January 10, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Kat

Obviously the people in Iowa are far more intelligent than 37% of the people in New Hampshire. Let's hope the rest of the country has more sense!

January 10, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |