November 28th, 2007

Question #1047: Republicans, why don't most Americans vote for you?

David McMillan from Los Angeles, California

(CNN) - David McMillan from Los Angeles, California asks: On a variety of specific issues: gay marriage, taxes, the death penalty, immigration, faith-based initiatives, school vouchers, school prayer, many African Americans hold fairly conservative views. And yet, we overwhelmingly vote Democrat in most elections. So my question, to any of the Republican candidates here is, why don't we vote for you?

What did you think about the candidates' response to the question? What would you have asked? Add your comment below, or better yet, turn on your camera to record your commentary and reaction video and send in your I-Report. Your comments below or you I-Report video could be part of CNN's post-debate coverage.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. James, Phoenix AZ

Because of the slimy and diabolical way the Republicans smear Democratic veteran candidates, like with John Kerry.

OOPS, I forgot. I am a conservative. I let the Swift Boat Vets for Truth website think for me.

Never mind.

November 29, 2007 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  2. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

The debate last night was a classic example of why. Jobs, free and public education, more equitable distribution of the rewards of capitalism, acknowledgement that affordable healthcare is a RIGHT (not a privilege), equality within government and corporate inner circles of power, equal enforcement of laws, maintaining ALL of our civil liberties (not just guns). There's just a few.

November 29, 2007 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  3. Gale Moore, Columbus, Ohio

In response to the question of why African Americans do not vote for Republicans, both parties work toward taking as money from us they can get and putting it in their pocket to sustain their lifestyles and their buddies in big business. The difference is that the Republicans don't share and at least the Democrats will, grant you that it will only be enough to keep us quiet, but for decendents of former slaves, we tend to take what we can get, thus the lesser of two evils.

November 29, 2007 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. Uba, New York, NY

It is a shame that the Republican Party has not made an earnest effort to embrace people of color. They better step up their game unless there will be only one party come 20 years from now. Statistics shows that in the near future whites will be the " New" Minority group in the United States.

November 29, 2007 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Aravind Sloan, Houston, TX

Its quite simple, people do not vote republican due to the fact that the republican party is not for mainstream America nor do they hold mainstream (true) American values.

Second the person, who made the comment "when it comes to entitlement programs, African Americans have figured out the system and they take full advantage of social services that the big government endows upon many single mothers and supposedly under-privleged people." needs to go back to school and check their racist ideologies. The majority of the population on welfare and on social service program are Caucasians not African Americans.

November 29, 2007 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. Chris, Middletown, CT

funny...the bloggers who stated "because the Republicans don't believe in entitlement programs" and those who say "they don't buy into the victim mentality" are right – it sickens me to see Hillary supporters say "we just want a piece of the pie" – more entitlement mentality....to get so many to adopt a Marxist doctrine is so sad....we need to fight this mindset....and send a clear message – NO TO SOCIALISM!!! Sorry Hillary – many are that dumb....thankfully not most....

November 29, 2007 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  7. Eric, from THE, yes THE, Republic of Texas

"On a variety of specific issues: gay marriage, taxes, the death penalty, immigration, faith-based initiatives, school vouchers, school prayer, many African Americans hold fairly conservative views. And yet, we overwhelmingly vote Democrat in most elections. So my question, to any of the Republican candidates here is, why don't we vote for you?"

Uh, could it be that black Americans have been Duped by Dems?

Most Black Americans I know personally (I'm ex-military, so I've met and befriended folks from VERY diverse backgrounds) are indeed quite conservative regarding many issues, especially issues regarding faith and family. Why they don't vote Conservative is simply beyond me.

I suppose it's because, like nearly ALL Americans, you vote the way your parents and grandparents vote, because political beliefs are often passed from generation to generation, much like other closely-held beliefs (Cards vs. Cubs, Ford vs. Chevy, etc etc).

I voted like my parents and grandparents for years... until I personally researched the other party's platform on the issues and realized, hey, I had more in common with the other party than the party I'd been supporting for years.

The best book for humorously illustrating this transition: "How I Accidentally Joined the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy."

November 29, 2007 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |