November 28th, 2007
8 months ago

Question #4925: Giuliani: how could you root for the Red Sox?

Chris Krul from Bonita Springs, Florida

(CNN) - Chris Krul from Bonita Springs, Florida asks: Uh, Giuliani, um can you explain why, you being a lifelong Yankees fan, that this year after the Yankees lost everything, you rooted for the Red Sox in the post season? Can you explain that position for me?

What did you think about the candidates' response to the question? What would you have asked? Add your comment below, or better yet, turn on your camera to record your commentary and reaction video and send in your I-Report. Your comments below or you I-Report video could be part of CNN's post-debate coverage.

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Steven Brown, Browns Mills, NJ

While I understand this is not a Democratic debate, did CNN run out of serious issues to highlight through these questions (environment???). Has anyone heard of any serious environmental issues that the Republicans might need to talk about? Maybe if it was framed by asking how, "How is Jesus going to solve global warming?"

November 28, 2007 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. ronnie knoxville, tn.

Oh this guy is really worried about finding the best person to lead out nation forward...

November 28, 2007 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  3. Anthony; Evansville, IL

This was an irrelevant question, and in my opinion, it was unfair to give Giuliani this light-hearted question. It gave him a chance to joke and be light with the public... a chance that the other candidates did not have. Someone with a serious issue should have been able to voice concern instead of this guy wondering about something as trivial as loyalty to his baseball team.

November 28, 2007 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. Elwin Martin, Mount Pleasant, SC

What did this stupid question have to do with defining the candidates positions on Real Issues? This soft ball question was chosen by CNN to help Giuliani.

November 28, 2007 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  5. C. May, Frederick, MD

What a waste of air time! The mods receive an F for picking this to be the last question of the debate.

November 28, 2007 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  6. Jason Stoneman Virginia Beach, VA

At first I was disgusted that this question was even aired, however as Giuliani struggled thru his explanation, he not only showed himself as a person that flips sides faster than a pancake, but also considers himself the single reason that the Yankees won ballgames I then realized how easy it was to get him to expose his shallow, true side. If he is so ready to switch back and forth with something as simple as a baseball team, what is keeping him from doing the same on the presidential level?
    Good character exposing question actually.

November 28, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  7. Chris, Pensacola FL

Well, it's obvious the media wants Clinton and Rudy to go head to head. It's already decided by themselves and the elite.

The thing WE ALL KNOW is that out of the 5000+ videos submitted, 35% were directly related to Ron Paul. 50% to ALL candidates.

Who's the REAL front runner?

November 28, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. Brad< Philadelphia, PA

This is an election for the president of the United States. At this point I have zero interest in sports affiliations. It is a shame that CNN felt the need to include this question.

November 28, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  9. Anonymous

This is our CONSTITUTION who cares about baseball...what a ploy to distract America from the truth.!!!

November 28, 2007 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  10. BN, Fort Myers, FL

What I find most disturbing is what a shamble this whole affair was. I feel like I wasted an entire two-half hours of my life that I will never recover. CNN, with their "oh so righteous" media representation for the people, did a bang-up job of trying to pull the wool over the audiences eyes. Bottom line, It is more than obvious that the agenda was to make the Republican party appear like fools and in disarray, and they succeeded. It frustrates me that they claim this was the people's debate, but after watching the manner in which questions were selected and which candidates were chosen my suspicions are confirmed that mainstream media is subjective, not objective. There was nothing objective about this debate. And this is why mainstream media (Fox, CNN, ABCNews, and CBSNews) will become obsolete for the Generation Y folks because I will use vehicles like YouTube, and RSS feeds to filter what news I want to receive and how I want to receive it. With a forum where no name people can voice opinions and viewpoints that ultimately allows for a true objective viewpoint.
    The Republican Party is now further hurt by a debate that delivered no clear winner, but rather shows the stupidity among our candidates.
    And, I am sorry, but that debate did not give Ron Paul a fair shake, and that too was blatantly obvious. I am not saying that I support or do not support Ron Paul, but it was obvious that the choice of questions and the way in which they were asked were set to bring out answers, that CNN knew, would make him look crazy. I think we all can agree that Ron Paul is actually, a very intelligent person, and he was probably one of the more intelligent people up on the stage.
    Clearly, this was a farce, and a waste of time. I am very concerned about America, and I think this election is a pivotal small step that may have grave consequences that will ultimately determine our existence as a country in the next 20-30 years. It will set in motion the deciding factors that will either lead to our demise or allow us to recognize the true root causes to our problems (socially, economically, and abroad).
    Shame on CNN, Anderson Cooper, and the Executive Producers for not making this an objective, equally represented debate to allow viewers to see each candidate’s true intentions. Instead, Neilson ratings went up because sparks flew when two men had a pissing contest on national TV. CNN is a disgrace. I look forward to when the Internet replaces mainstream TV and it is no longer a vehicle for news and media.

November 28, 2007 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  11. Michael Stamford, CT

This had to be the most stupid question asked. What in the world does baseball have to do with being President of the United States? Nothing at all! Why not ask Rudy for an honest answer of something such as just how much time did he really spend at ground zero?

November 28, 2007 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  12. Eyvonne Meyer Jonestown, Pennsylvania

That question was as lame as the question that was asked to Sen. Clinton...diamonds or pearls! *L*

November 28, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  13. Kent, Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Nice to know that Rudy will stick with his league, no matter what. Hmmm! Does this mean, Rudy, that when Ron Paul wins the playoffs (primaries), you will root for him during the World Series (Election Day 2008)?! CHANGE is coming, boys and girls, and NOT from the likes of the neo-con maniacs who have ruined this country!!

November 28, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  14. Brian, Kenduskeag Maine

And why was this question even aired when question about things like healthcare were not. I am sure they could of used the time better.

November 28, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  15. Lisa, Conway, South Carolina

Another example of a ridiculous questions that should NEVER have been asked in the "debate" when we have so many serious issues facing our nation. CNN clean up your act!!!

November 28, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  16. Jim Palmisano, Springfield, Missouri

An extremely sad state of affairs in this Country! Not only is the question totally irrelevant, but CNN was willing to even make this event.

So much for the ignorant bozo that asked the question as if it really mattered.

November 29, 2007 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  17. Nate Daniels, Woods Cross Utah

This whole debate was an embarrassment for CNN. NEWS FLASH...you are not an entertainment network, you are a NEWS network.

This question was the worst of all of them. I agree with a previous commenter. The internet is going to replace MSM networks since their quality continues to degenerate to tabloid levels of objectivity. After all, Comedy Central already surpasses CNN and FOX as a credible news source. That should be a wake up call to Time-Warner.

November 29, 2007 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  18. Maxwell, IL

at least i can find solice in the fact that when i think about how stupid and trivial all the candidates are, there are people like this guy to make them look like kings among men. he is a true american, oblivious to everything but bats and balls

November 29, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. Brandon, Tampa, FL

Questions like these are why I think the YouTube debates aren't that great an idea.

November 30, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |