November 28th, 2007

Romneys show off football skills

Romney took some time off the campaign trail for some touch-football.

ST. PETERSBURGH, Florida (CNN) - Mitt Romney used a little physical activity to prepare for tonight’s CNN/YouTube Republican presidential debate. The former Massachusetts governor joined in a game of touch football this morning with his sons and supporters at a park in St. Petersburg.

Romney is on top in the most recent polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, the first two states to vote in the primary process. But here in Florida, he’s in second place, 21 points behind former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll that released yesterday.

- CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Dan, Athens GA

Seems to me that if his sons can play football, they can contribute to their country's defense in Iraq. I lost a leg over there and for these pampered rich kids to just goof off boils my blood. Their dad claims that thier service on his campaign equals my service in Iraq. That disgusts me.

November 28, 2007 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Scott, Yokosuka Japan

Steve, what is he supposed to do? Everyone who's children aren't in Iraq are supposed to shut down their lives in a show of support?

My daughter is in Iraq. Where are YOUR kids?

November 28, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  3. Steve, Tampa

Scott, I served from '66 to '70 and my daughter's husband commanded a Bradley for 15 months in Iraq. Like Dan in Athens said, why shouldn't the rich kids be willing to defend their country. And who's going to pay for this war? Our kids and grandkids, that's who. Anyway, may your daughter come home safely.

November 28, 2007 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. Anonymous

If Romney made a touchdown, I would vote for him; otherwise, I might choose Richardson as he might be a better ping pong player.

November 28, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  5. Jan, Boise, ID

Romney's sons stayed home from Iraq to work hard and pay taxes to fund the war. Someone has to stay home and pay the bills. One of my sons flies A-10s and served in Operation Enduring Freedom. The other son started a business, pays taxes and supports his brother's efforts in defending our country. We all have our roles to play. Romney's sons are great citizens too. Thanks to all who do whatever they can do!

December 1, 2007 04:09 am at 4:09 am |