November 29th, 2007

Debate Reaction: Undecided Republican voters weigh in

Watch a panel respond to Thompson's answer on abortion.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As the debate banter went back and forth between Republican presidential contenders in Wednesday night’s CNN/YouTube debate, 24 undecided Republican voters had a unique opportunity to express their views on the candidates in real time. In each of these video clips, a line graph displays the voters’ reaction. The yellow line represents the 12 women in the group and the blue represents the 12 men.

Watch the reactions:

Romney and Giuliani on immigration

Huckabee on taxes

CNN's Martina Stewart and Emily Sherman

1. RDM, Tulsa, OK

I am switching to Ron Paul from McCain.

November 29, 2007 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

They all sucked!!! The only thing that distinguishes the debate is how "lacking" it was on any issues that are "reality" to average Americans. Go home guys. Time for a new team!!!

November 29, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  3. Jay Waterloo, IL

CNN Biased???? Nooooooo....

Can you believe they tell us they still have viewers?? Does anyone out there want to bet me on what political party most of CNN viewers and employees belong to??

November 29, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  4. Brian Tampa, FL

Are they really undecided or more CNN plants. The whole network is a disgrace to "journalism". At least Fox is above board with their leanings.

November 29, 2007 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Dorothy Fairview, Pinellas Park, FL

Ron Paul had an astounding display of support in St Petersburg. Airplane and boat banners. A rented theater filled with cheering supporters. Ten tables in the park offering t-shirts, books, brochures, etc. Busses to transport the people from one place to another. All done by local volunteers. The papers have not reported any of this. It is being suppressed, like Christmas. He was not given a fair opportunity to express his views in the debate. The powers that be must be very much afraid of him and his ideas.

November 29, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. SAM, Raleigh, NC

When Huckabee stole Ron Paul's idea of getting rid of the IRS I got really angry. When has he ever said anything like that before. He has only talked about the fair tax until now. The fact that they didn't let Dr.Paul answer that question also is appalling.

November 29, 2007 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Steve from GA.
    We are illegally occupying another country. Is that what you call a war?
    Thanks for keeping us safe. I do appreciate your service.
    I'm ex-military also. I can think independently. Give it a try sometime.

November 29, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. James, Houston, TX

Ron Paul? I am from Texas and I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul to save my life. While he is honorable, has strong convictions and has some good ideas on what America's future could be he has no focus on where we need to be right now. Also his demeanor reminds me incredibly of Ross Perot and anyone who would encourage him to run independently really wants Mrs. Clinton to be president anyway. Mr. Clinton surely wouldn't have made the oval office without the independent run of Perot.

November 29, 2007 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Scott Sybeldon

Lead paint in toys? This was the planted question by the paid union shill. CNN should be ashamed. Why won't the Democrats go on fox? They want to stand up for America but are afraid to stand up to Chris Wallace. Shame Shame Shame.

November 29, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  10. Jeff Cooper Lapine Oregon

I thought a debate was so all parties participating could air their views. CNN controlled it so that Gulliani and Romney got the lions share of the questions, while shuting out and cutting off Ron Paul.

November 29, 2007 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  11. Chris L, SLC, Utah

I think it is important for republicans to start differentiating themselves from one another. They cannot win based solely on a "I'm not Hillary" campaign. This debate did nothing to sway my opinion one way or the other. I do feel it was improperly biased towards Romney/Rudy. Ron Paul is truly the ONLY pro-life candidate, and the only one deserving the vote of Christians and true social conservatives. Rudy learned ethics and morality from Slick Willy, and Romney has flip-flopped on the issues more than John Kerry. Ron Paul really is the only true republican.

November 29, 2007 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  12. Bob, San Francisco, Ca

Wow, I've seen the accusation of "liberal plants by CNN" at least seven times in this posting. Wonder what the Republican talking points for the day were?

Regarding the debate, the questions were a bit pathetic, but so were the ones during the Democratic Youtube event.

Mike Huckabee seems pretty good outside the fact that he refuses to accept centuries of observation and experimentation. Sadly he chooses ignorant superstition instead. Ron Paul is OK on some issues, but get rid of the Department of Education?

The rest were all trying to one-up each other to see who can hate the most (women's rights, immigrants, Arabs, etc.). Fred Thompson was the most pathetic.

November 29, 2007 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. Karen Houston,TX

To Drew in SanDiego,

You hit the nail on the head buddy. I'm glad to see there is still someone out there with a brain on his shoulders.

November 30, 2007 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  14. Karen Houston,TX

To Mike in Oceanside,

You had the best answer to the Bible question!!! It should not have been allowed in the debate in the first place. However, we have a Baptist preacher and a member of the LDS faith running and so people just can't seem to get off the relegion band wagon.

I'd much rather hear about political issues than hear the candidates spiritual testimonies about the Bible. By the way. . . Mormons do use the King James Bible. The Book of Mormon that you refer to is according to the Mormon faith,"Another testament of Christ." So Mitt Romney really wasn't 'scared to admit' to anything. He was asked if he believed the Bible and he gave a straight forward answer. "Yes, I believe the Bible to be the word of God". That is what Mormons believe. I still like your answer better. I'm tired of the relegion card. Lets talk politics!

November 30, 2007 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  15. Steve Spivey, Oceanside, Ca.

CNN you've lost what creditability I once had for your organization. Fair? objective unbiased? Do you not know what these words mean anymore? Money talks< I for one will let mine do the talking. I will not support your advertisers. Plain & simple. Fair, objective and unbiased & I do have creditability.

November 30, 2007 03:33 am at 3:33 am |