November 29th, 2007

Giuliani: Web site report a 'hit job'

Giuliani called the Politico report a 'hit job.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani has called a story raising questions about the accounting of his security expenses while he was mayor of New York a "hit job."

Late Wednesday, Politico.com reported city records show Giuliani billed New York City government offices for at least $34,000 in security and travel costs on trips to the Hamptons in his last year in office, with charges spread around departments under his control.

In its report, which Giuliani says might have been fueled by opposition research, Politico said it obtained the records through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. CNN was also able to obtain the same records.

"I thought the way the story was presented was like a hit job," Giuliani told CNN after the CNN/YouTube debate Wednesday night.

"Coming two hours before this debate, I kind of got the idea that it was not a legitimate story."

Full story

Filed under: Rudy Giuliani
  1. Columbus, Ohio

Can we sit back and pop our popcorn using the dishes that the Clintons stole from the White House when they left?

November 29, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Lee Priestley, Yardley, PA

Giuliani is a sleezy, deceptive loser who shouldn't even be a candidate for a role on the "Sopranos" let alone for President of the United States.

Talk about crooked.........

November 29, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. Cleveland, Ohio

"lanray, Bellaire, Texas" –

News flash – Hillary IS AN ATTORNEY. AND from the good ole boys club, at that! FEMALE ATTORNEYS are the worst! Trust me – I've worked with them for 30 years!

November 29, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. Julie, Houston, TX

Seems that Rudy has a warped sense of what's right and what's wrong. I guess if you can't defend your actions, you shoot the messenger. Sorry Rudy, you don't have the credibility to represent the United States – not to mention ethics or morals.

November 29, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Richard,Derry, NH

Looks like this Moron was well coached on what to come and say and make no mistakes. I wonder if he will be helped in the white house. How sad to see the media try to groom candidates well and try hit hard on some candidates.
    I don't like Romney but is sad to see the set up to hit him from left to right. I don't get it people.

November 29, 2007 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. Hank,boston,ma

I just think that debate was not fair.

November 29, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. Mike S., New Orleans, Louisiana

Rudy's just mad because the newspaper used his real name instead of referring to him as "The Hero of September 11th."

November 29, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. dan, Reality, USA

Pop your popcorn…and sit back and watch how nervous the Democrats get with their attacks….I mean if it came down to a Giuliani vs Clinton for the White House – the voters would need to choose between a mayor with sound fiscal experience and a social liberal background….or a waffling socialist….(believe me…lookup Saul Alinsky…Hillarys mentor…and author of her 800 Billion in entitlement promises) -the country will not choose Hillary….well..the dumb ones will

Posted By Chris, Middletown, CT : November 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Gotta love the clowns that bring the Clintons into everything despite an article having nothing whatsoever to do with Hillary. Quick question Chris...was it the smart ones that voted in W twice? I guess that makes me dumb for voting against him.

November 29, 2007 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. NY,NY

November 29, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. jj,newton,Iowa

I am a republican and to say the least, I rather vote for Obama than this moron when the world is watching for ethics and honesty of united states!

November 29, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. Tiffany,charleston,s.c

CNN we are looking for American President not a city councilor. Stop dictating for us!

November 29, 2007 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. Lynn/West Hills, CA

After watching last nights debate I have come to the following conclusion:

The Republicans do not have a dog in this fight...

November 29, 2007 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. ask questions NY

RUDY08

dems dont look too scared of rudy. hahahaha thats how i laugh i dont know what haaaaaaaaa is......at least he is divorced?? what do you mean its ok that he cheated because hes divorced??? democrats DEFINETELY are not scared of these arguments at all. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....i mean hahahahaha

November 29, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  14. KELLY THOMPSON, STATEN ISLAND, NY

NOW I KNOW WHY PEOPLE VOTE FOR IDIOTS LIKE BUSH AND GIULIANI BECAUSE THEIR IDIOTS TOO. KAREN FROM NJ DOESNT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS? REALLY? LET ME EXPLAIN IT TO YOU KAREN. RUDYS BILL IS NOW ESTIMATED AT $500,000 IF NOT MORE AND ITS ALL BECAUSE HE WENT TO STAY WITH HIS GIRLFRIEND WHILE HIS WIFE AND KIDS WERE LIVING IN GRACIE MANSION AND THAT'S OUR MONEY, NOT HIS. SO BECAUSE HE HAD A GIRLFRIEND LIVING OUT IN THE HAMPTONS WE HAD TO PICK UP THE TAB, IT MIGHT NOT BOTHER YOU KAREN SINCE YOU LIVE IN NJ AND DIDNT CONTRIBUTE TO RUDY'S LOVENEST FUND, BUT I , AS A NEW YORKER PAID FOR IT AND IM NOT HAPPY.

November 29, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  15. Chris L, SLC, Utah

Posted By jj,newton,Iowa : November 29, 2007 2:15 pm
    ##

Amen. It amazes me when I talk to other social conservatives who were rightly frustrated and downright upset with Clinton, but now endorse Rudy. This man makes Slick Willy look like a saint. I know he will not get the Christan vote from Utah.

November 29, 2007 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. Salita, SC

Why would we care if the Clinton's sleep together? U might want to get your priorities straight. Rudy having affairs..Old news...But shifting the money around to cover his tracks...NEW NEWS! BIG NEWS! LOL dont try to blame this mess on Hillary.

PS why would be be afraid of republicans. LOL. You are more worried about where the Clintons are sleeping than the business of the country.

November 29, 2007 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  17. Biden Backer/Seattle

This guy is a fraud,a cheat, & the biggest weasel going. The run-up to the election is just gonna get more and more entertaining because this loser is going to be exposed even more. Yay Rudy!!

November 29, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. john williams san diego, ca.

hillarys war/slime machine and its associates are still in first gear. after the primaries be ready for them to go to overdrive from all directions..they will be imposing

November 29, 2007 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. fair,washington,dc

C'mon Republicans, you do have less rotten potatoes in your bag than Guli. Seriously, choose someone who is at least Republican. You're all beaten anyway.

Hillary 08

Posted By Megha, San Antonio, TX : November 29, 2007 1:48 pm

Megda,
    Question for you. If you really think Rudy is unelectable and can be beat by Hillary why would you then get on here and implore the Republicans not to vote for him? Its just not logical to me, I believe the same thing , but unlike you I want them to put him in as their nominee so bad I can taste it so Hillary can mop the floor with him in the general election. You see Republicans post comments like this , dogging Hillary and saying she's unelectable and imploring Dems not to vote for her , but on their part its some kind of reverse psychology. They really don't want to see Hillary on the otherside in a general because they know she's formidable. Whats your excuse?

November 29, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

Don't blame the Democrats because some wanked off administrator from NY resents your pompous unqualified attempt to become President. If you're a scumbag (and we think you are) there will probably be more. You already have: infidelity, abuse of power, negligence...

November 29, 2007 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Tom, AlBUQUERQUE, NM

Rudy Giuliani has dirt on his hands. When the leaves are peeled back on Rudy they will expose a lot of unsavory things about the man. I think it would be fortuitous for the Democrats if Rudy is the republican nominee. It would indeed nullify the republicans attack against Hillary if she is the DEMs choice.

November 29, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. Independent in IA

I'm quite sure Giuliani is familiar with 'hit jobs'. He's initiated enough of them. The man is dirty through and through and the sooner the public stops kissing his butt because of what he supposedly did with regard to 9/ll, the better off we'll all be.

November 29, 2007 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. Mike NY, NY

"That's funny – Rudy couldn't be too "crooked" – he ran New York City and reduced crime substantially. Can you say that about your city? I doubt it."

He ran NYC like a fascist. He cleaned up the streets with clubs and jailed people for "quality of life violations." Giuliani is a criminal, liar and a moron. I can't believe that the Kerik story hasn't had more legs. Maybe his incompetence on security around 911 and his child molesting staff member will keep him out of office.

November 29, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  24. PW Va

What I'm surprised about is that Rudy hasn't concocted a way to use "9/11" to cover his behind on this! Of course, he blames the Democrats for bringing this to the forefront, but I find it interesting that Michael Bloomberg is not commenting on this either way. Hmmm..."something's rotten in the state of Denmark!"

November 29, 2007 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |