November 29th, 2007

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. endorses Hillary Clinton

The environmental activist is endorsing Clinton's presidential bid.

(CNN) - At different points during the presidential race, both Sen. Barack Obama and former Sen. John Edwards have alternately drawn comparisons to Robert F. Kennedy.

Kennedy's relative youth and optimism, as well his crusade against poverty and opposition to the war in Vietnam, all made for fitting comparisons to those two Democrats.

But one of Kennedy's sons, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., is today endorsing Sen. Hillary Clinton - who happens to hold the same elected office once occupied by his father.

"I watched proudly as Hillary won over New Yorkers across the state in her race for the Senate seat my father once held," Kennedy said in a statement. "Since then, she's been reelected in a landslide victory and proven that she is ready to lead this nation from her first day in office. Hillary will inspire the real change America needs."

He added that Clinton had the "strength and experience" to end the war in Iraq and address the impact of global warming.

Kennedy, an attorney for the Hudson Riverkeeper and president of Waterkeeper Alliance, is perhaps best known for his environmental activism.

Kennedy stirred controversy last year with a lengthy Rolling Stone article suggesting that the 2004 election was stolen in Ohio, claiming that "the president of the United States was selected not by the uncontested will of the people, but under a cloud of dirty tricks."

UPDATE: Kennedy’s decision to campaign for Clinton in the Hawkeye State may dredge up some inconvenient reminders of comments he’s made on earlier visits, the New York Times points out. Five years ago, according to reports at the time in the Des Moines Register and the New York Post, the environmental activist told an Iowa audience that “large-scale hog producers are a greater threat to the United States and U.S. democracy than Osama bin Laden and his terrorist network.”

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Leo, VA

"Megha
    How do you stomach the fact that Hillary won't answer questions – isn't that important to you??"

Posted By Chris, Middletown, CT : November 29, 2007 1:42 pm "

Hillary answers enough questions and offers sufficient information to understand her plans. You don't know to read? You cannot judge for yourself? You need everything served on a plate?

What questions? that stupid attack on 'illegal immigrants' was not a question. The other stupid claim by Obama about 'enforcing a mandatory health plan' is a meaningless detail at this point, the only idea to understand is the one about universal health plan.

Sorry, but too many of you just play stupid.. I cannot imagine so many really are stupid.

November 29, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. Bob, Seattle

Just great for the 'ol U.S. of A. Another old line, corrupt family steeped in distasteful moral fibre attempting to stay in the spotlight by endorsing the newest line of the corrupt, highly distasteful families. Awesome.

November 29, 2007 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  3. mer, sa, tx

Idiot!

November 29, 2007 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Darrel @Lone Rock Iowa

Wow a kenndy for hillary/
    birds of a feather flock together

Vote Independant in 2008
    Vote for the person and not the party
    The partys have fail middle class America in horrible fashion.

enought already with the bush and clinton type leadership. Let's get one who know what middle class tax paying
    American deserve! It REPRESENTATION!!
    As in True Leadership for all on an equal basis. God Bless America

November 29, 2007 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  5. Mitty, Miami, Gardens, Florida

Good, who cares. Endorsements are meaniless without votes.

November 29, 2007 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. mary for HILLARY

I admire you RFJ JR.
    and all your Kennedy Family,for the 2 best ever men who ran Our Country that was best for us and what we could do for it.your Uncle and father i remember all those times..and to RFK JR for cleaning up that Hudson river of trash.thank you for endorsing the best person to beat the repubs..And that is Hillary R. Clinton..you know she is a fighter and ready to lead or you would not be endorsing her,for the Highest ever position President of the United States
    these Kennedys know there Politics,who will do the job best and to run Our nation and to fix it over the last bad 7 years she has a real task to get done,and she will.

November 29, 2007 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  7. Jimenez - Texas

To: Megha, San Antonio, TX : Words of experience – its when you really get under their skin that they start directing comments directly to you. Been there. Good job! We are with you Ms. Megha! Doesn't matter what they say. What matters is that we know who the best is. So you who think Obama has a chance – keep ditching out – and we will do the same. Thank God we live in a country where we have the freedom to voice our opinions.

November 29, 2007 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. janel St. Paul, Mn

As a great supporter of his father, Robert Kennedy, I am saddened that his son has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

I believe Barack Obama more clearly articulates Robert F. Kennedy's views. I can't find any similarities with Ms. Clinton.

We desperately need a change. . .from the Clinton's, the Bush's, and. . .perhaps from the Kennedy's.

We need a change!!

November 30, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  9. Lisa, Frisco, Texas

January 3rd is right around the corner, I guess we'll really find out if this country is REALLY ready for changes and a candidate that could really give us what we need and want so desperately and not flip flop around the real issues. We (American) are very smart but we need to use our common sense in 2008 and not by endorsements.

November 30, 2007 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  10. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

Dennis Kucinich is the kindest to the Earth and deserves the endorsement of all environmentalists.

November 30, 2007 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  11. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Ginny, Seattle, "A classy endorsement for a classy qualified candidate" it is a beautiful remark.
    Tom, Aibuquerque, "Mrs. Clinton will continue to win the hearts and minds of American public" it is so true, I love it.
    Surrealist, Fort Myers, your knowledge is impressive, I respect it.
    Dan, TX, You don't know anybody can do the best job than Hillary? That's why you couldn't name it? I understand perfectly.

November 30, 2007 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  12. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Did he endorse her after getting out of his private jet or the armored SUV limo? He and his family are as good at being enviromentalist as the CEO's of oil companies, Hollywood celebs, or Al Gore.

December 1, 2007 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  13. delbert mcgraff Pa

wow i can see it now
    hillary is gonna make a grrrreat prez- now excuse me while I enhale and can see even clearer

December 2, 2007 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  14. mm

Bobby Kennedy suffers from spasmodic dysphonia, a disorder that makes speech difficult and causes the voice to sound quavery.... I can hardly stand to listen to him because of it. Ugghh.

December 2, 2007 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Christine, Phoenix, AZ

Some of the comments I think are unfair and reflect badly on those who made the snide little comments.

If we truly live in a free society than every American should be able to endorse, support and vote for the person that they think will be the best President.

Some of you have nothing better to post than you don't like the sound of his voice or his accent. How sad that Bobby jr is being put down because not of his ideas but of the sound of his voice.

I am a Democrat, but I do not support Hilary at this point. I have my reasons. I don't like some of her votes that she has made as Senator. I don't vote for the lesser of two evils so most likely will write in the person who I think is the best one who I would like to see standing at the helm of this ship America. Actually I will be writing in Bobby's name.

Some posters on other boards have posted that Bobby has betrayed his beliefs and the people who support his work on the enviorment because of this endorsement. WRONG, Bobby hasn't betrayed anyone, but is endorsing the person who for reasons that are valid for him thinks is the best person to be President.

I will fight for Bobby's right and anyone's right to endorse, support, and vote for the person of their choice without harsh judgement from anyone and I would hope that Bobby would fight for my right to endorse, support and vote for the person of my choice for reasons that are just as valid to me as his support is for Clinton.

To those who think that it is only Republicans who are against Hilary think again. There are plenty of Democrats too. This is only a primary so we don't have to jump on the Hilary band wagan yet. I may never jump on if she can't prove to me that she is the best person for the job of President. So far she hasn't.

December 3, 2007 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  16. Burt B, Denver, CO

I'm disappointed and surprised that Kennedy endorsed a typical corporate elitist. Maybe he is still just a part of the ruling elite, after all.

I agree with him that large-scale hog producers are (were) a greater threat to the US of A than Bin Laden and his network (unless you count the Bush Administration and Verizon as part of his network).

December 3, 2007 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  17. Casey

At least one of The Kennedys has gotten it right....

January 27, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Susan

Let's get honest here! AMAZING the lies that are being told! Ted Kennedy for one said no matter what you hear Obama has been against the war from the beginning...hmmnnn lets think a minute....Clinton has been in the senate since Jan of 2001...Obama has only been in the senate since Jan of 2005....gee all the hard decisions were made while Bush was making up stories...and Obama was no where in sight for those votes on the war. He wasn't even a US senator til January of 2005.....by them everyone voted against the war!.....

Obama gave a speech he was against the war in 2002...burt as far as votes which he made it seem he had voted that way since the beginning the beginning for Obama was Jan 2005..........when in fact he was still teething in the Illinois state senate......but cast NO U.S. senate votes against war in 2001- 2002 ,2003, or 2004

January 29, 2008 06:04 am at 6:04 am |