November 30th, 2007

Obama, Bloomberg hold mystery meeting

Obama and Bloomberg had a surprise breakfast Monday in New York City.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - New York may be Sen. Hillary Clinton’s home turf – but the man in charge, Mayor Mike Bloomberg, met this morning with Barack Obama, one of her chief rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The pair sat down for coffee and eggs in midtown Manhattan, just a quick cab ride away from former President Bill Clinton’s offices in Harlem. The mayor might be a billionaire, but Obama still paid, and left a big tip – almost 60 percent.

While Bloomberg has always spoken well of Clinton, he feels no special hometown loyalty to the senator, who failed to endorse him during his two mayoral runs, when he ran as a Republican.

Bloomberg reached out to the Obama campaign, according to campaign spokesman Bill Burton, who told CNN's Mary Snow the pair discussed issues from the economy and education to homeland security and global warming – but wouldn’t say whether the two talked about a possible presidential endorsement.

“They have a shared belief there is too much game playing in Washington and not enough problem solving,” said Burton, who added that there are no future meetings on the books.

Bloomberg, who is no longer registered to any political party, has long pledged to steer clear of national politics and the presidential campaign, but his morning meeting with the Illinois senator (which only appeared late last night on Bloomberg’s schedule, and caught many Obama-watchers by surprise), comes on the heels of a similar meal with Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Nebraska, just a few days ago.

Obama and Bloomberg first met earlier this year, when the mayor came to Washington to press for more Homeland Security funding for the Big Apple.

– CNN Associate Editor Rebeca Sinderbrand

1. steve,malden,ma

Barack Obama is the only candidate people would feel good around and that they can trust. We need him now!

November 30, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. cathy,Newton,ma

See you in Boston on sunday! Go Barack we have your back!

November 30, 2007 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. Diane, NYC NY

I would love to see a Bloomberg/Obama pairing – regardless of which of them is Pres/VP!!

They would kick Mrs Clinton's behind into oblivion and beyond. Not that Obama isn't capable of doing that on his own...

November 30, 2007 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Ken,NY

Can anyone spell pandering ?

November 30, 2007 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. Joe Mathews, Manchester, VT

Senator Obama's latest effort to reach out to everyone regardless of party. Bloomberg's a great manager and would make a great addition to an Obama administration in any capacity. Smart move and it should be getting the notice it is.

Contrast this with Clinton's constant Republican "baiting" and "right wing conspiracy" talk. You can't govern effectively, much less change course, when, according to some polls, almost half the country is against you.

We need nominees from both parties who can reach across the aisle and get things done. Obama, Biden, Dodd and Richardson are adept at this with Edwards somewhat less so and Clinton not even on the same page.

November 30, 2007 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. Juanito,Washington, DC

Obama held a campaign event in NYC, and visited with the mayor of NYC after that. Why is this a news story?
    Sheesh...any opportunity for CNN to sprinkle the name "Clinton" into every article.

November 30, 2007 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. Jim Tucson, AZ

Walter

You're not qualified to be VP because you wife has never been VP.

November 30, 2007 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. Megha, San Antonio, TX

Can Obama supporters see that he broke his promise of positive politics by starting the democratic attack add campaign. Guys, if he can't keep very presmise of his platform-a changed politics, how will he stand on any of his promises as President? He is doing exactly what everyone else is-attacking hillary. If he's just like everyone else, why not get someone with more experience? Esp. when this country needs a real President right now more than a rock star?

November 30, 2007 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. dmw, roeland park, ks

So what? It looks like Obama is trying to let us know that he can work with Republicans. Hillary can and does work with Republicans as well.

Only a nut would assume that any of these Republicans would run with Obama as a VP candidate. It's all for show. It is the political season after all.

And Yes, Obama leads in Iowa. Good for him. Iowa and Illinois may be his only wins, so I hope he enjoys them.

Take care.

November 30, 2007 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. Adam, Pittsburgh, PA

I guess the big "mystery" is why a person from one party would ever even TALK to a person from another party! MADNESS!!!

November 30, 2007 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  11. GZ, Austin, TX

Obama is a likeable guy, I have no doubt that his charisma will actually pull the two parties together and we can begin to work for a better more understanding America.

And a win in Iowa is no small feat, if he wins, Hillary-ous will have no chance to come back.

November 30, 2007 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Jeff, Hickory, NC

So, when will the Clinton goon squad start defiling Bloomberg's reputation? If he becomes a threat to her coronation, the mud will fly, bet on it.

November 30, 2007 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Laura, Ft Wayne Indiana

I guess when you have nothing much else going for you, a breakfast with Bloomberg will make the news. People may not like the Clintons or just Democrats in general, but she is still much more qualified than Obama.

November 30, 2007 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  14. Bob, Seattle WA

Obama/Boomberg '08?

November 30, 2007 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  15. Derek - NYC, NY

I call myself an NYC republican and I'm proud to vote my mind and not my political affiliation. Therefore.... GO Obama GO!!!!!

If Hill gets the nod then I'm back to Rudy. She will bring out the all sorts of people against her.

November 30, 2007 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. KS, Texas

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Watch out Obama.

November 30, 2007 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  17. Gail Snyder, Homer Glen

"The mayor might be a billionaire, but Obama still paid, (the bill)and left a big tip – almost 60 percent."

The election of the next president is serious business. This factoid about who tipped and how much is not news. Stick to real news please!

November 30, 2007 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  18. Pancho, Miami FL

Obama is peaking at just the right time and making the right moves. If he wins Iowa and NH, it might be over but I won't count my chickens against that corrupt but powerful Clinton machine.
    Go Obama!!!

November 30, 2007 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  19. George,Alt

This is not the picture CNN had put here yesterday night. The one with red curtains goes was and it goes with this article. What's up CNN?

November 30, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  20. Jim, Irmo, SC

The article says "mystery meeting" and then the picture has them in front of a giant glass window, in a crowded restaurant, with a reporter snapping pictures an inch from them. Seems like someone might want to reword that title, or maybe they don't.
    Obama is doing exactly what he has always talked about, talking to everyone who may have some valuable input. Sounds fantastic to me.

November 30, 2007 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  21. Robert, Shelton, CT

Bloomberg is a rare honest politician, I think he is giving Obama economic advice...but I'm sure he is open with talking with all candidates.

It should have been Bloomberg that was on the top of the ticket though.

November 30, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  22. bukky, Balt MD

How is this a Mystery.... the came, ate, paid, tipped, and left... shocking

November 30, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  23. Chad, Wisco

As a conservative person, dont like the term Republican, I would be very interested in a Bloomberg/Obama campaign. I like the idea of Obama as a VP first and then eventually run for the big dance. And I think Bloomberg is just nuts enough to make serious changes. I hope these two will just shun the party spectrum and make the changes that wont happen under the current two party regime.

November 30, 2007 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  24. Anastasia, Montclair, NJ

Fabulous!
    Whether it's seed-planting, support, or just politcal banter between the two, the meeting has a good feel to it.

I've liked Obama ever since I saw him speak at the Democratic (Presidential) Convention in 2004; I LOVE what Bloomberg has done for NYC (and so do the rest of them over in the boroughs, seeing as he was re-elected in a landslide).

For those of you stating that "only a nut" would assume that these two may be a running pair, let me remind you that Mikie dropped his party affiliation earlier this year.

It might only be a pipedream, but an Obama-Bloomberg ticket? I'd vote for that one, hands down, without a second thought. Eloquence, fiscal competence... if there's an agenda here, its very well hidden.

November 30, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  25. Gitonga,Manchester,NH

I am an old black male and I voted for Clinton. This time around I am voting for Obama so as my friends!

November 30, 2007 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |