December 1st, 2007

Romney attacks media on coverage of abortion stance

Mitt Romney says the media play a role in how people view his abortion position.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney attempted to further clarify his changed opinion on the issue of abortion Friday, saying the media play a role in painting a negative picture on his position.

"When someone who's pro-choice becomes pro-life, the media and some people just can't get enough of it," the former Massachusetts governor said in response to an audience question. "You go the other direction, and its heralded like you’ve made some great wonderful discovery."

"But you become firmly pro-life and people get all upset about it."

Romney said he's always been "personally opposed" to abortion but that he "questioned what the role of government should be."

"[I] said I would protect the current law, and that’s a pro choice position," he said. "There are some people that do not want to forgive you for making a mistake, and the truth is I was wrong. I saw that I was wrong. I admitted I was wrong, and I am now pro-life."

Romney was responding to questions about how he plans to combat new negative ads on his abortion stance set to hit Iowa and New Hampshire—the first negative ads of this election cycle.

Related video: Watch Romney answer a question on his abortion position

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Iowa • Mitt Romney
  1. Joe, Pennsylvania

To Tim Swanson: What on earth does your current religion have to do with Mitt Romney's stance on abortion? Comments like yours are a complete waste of space.

As far as Romney goes. He said he would protect the current law if he was elected, which he did. His personal stance, then and now, was pro-life. Who cares?

As another poster said, lets move onto the real issues that every American has to deal with.

December 1, 2007 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  2. Butch Dillon

This guy is a jerk who cannot even begin to contain his lying.

December 1, 2007 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  3. Charles of Salt Lake City, UT

Tim Swanson Family:

Thank you so much for sharing your very personal experience with all of us. I wanted to also let you know how much I appreciate your quoting me from my book, By His Own Hand Upon Papyrus (listed on Amazon, for others who may be interested), regarding your intense encounter with the truth about the LDS Book of Abraham. In the years since that book was published I have had the privilege of reading many hundreds of such letters as yours, but I want you to know that your letter was particularly moving and meaningful to me.

If you would contact the book's publisher, they will give you my address. I'd like very much to hear from you personally.

May God bless you in your pursuit of a lasting and true relationship with Him.

December 1, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. Carl, Denver Colorado

Am I the only one who wonders why this guy put his Mormon resignation on CNN instead of sending it to the church that can actually terminate his membership?

December 1, 2007 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. Duncan, Elgin, IL

Can you say Flip-Flop? He's got the look and feel of a pushy salesman. He'll say anything to get you to buy.

December 1, 2007 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  6. delbert mcgraff easton pa

congrads Tim Swanson!!

what he says IS relevant to the topic of Mitt

deception, lies, more lies, hiding truth

not far from anything going on eh?

as a Mormon in a leader position

do you think that he maybe required to do things in the "church's" best interest?

the last prophecy or revelation that their "prophet" had was that black people can be accepted

this of course was AFTER the fact that the NCCA threaten to drop BYU because of no blacks

then and only then did their "prophet" suddenly hear from God and had this "revelation" that is ok to accept blacks

their leader Bringham Young
    or bang'um young or bring them young
    said qoute- unqoute
    "if one drop of n@^^#r ( the dreaded N word) blood ever touched the priesthood ( their holding) it would anililate it"

shocking isn't it?

there is no way around it
    a Mormon or moron president will- I said WILL have the LDS interest FIRST & FOREMOST

If the "prophet" declares something you bet your life he will follow

no thanks we don't need a cult member in office for president, or government period

wake up people !!!

December 1, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  7. Z, St. Louis,MO.

Despite his "ignore my religion"
    speech,I think it's only fair to look
    at how his religious views shape him.
    One major LDS tenet thats constantly
    pushed is the "put on your best face
    all the time".It's engrained into
    people in that church to put on that
    veneer of "perfection".

This is EXACTLY what Romney does. His
    slick veneer is something that comes directly out of his beliefs.It's part
    of the LDS sales pitch,that everyone
    in of our church is perfect and you can be too if you join us. It's a 24/7
    sales pitch/missionary thing. And with
    that he does say what people want to hear to sell them.We don't need a
    leader like that. At the same time we
    don't need one that is so hard headed
    and arrogant that they won't listen to
    anyone. Romney always sounds and acts
    like he's trying to sell you a well used 92 Hyundai, and will tell you
    what you want to hear to "get you into that car".

December 2, 2007 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  8. William Courtland, Waterford, Ontario

Pro-law released to pro-self opinion.

December 2, 2007 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  9. Reality Check

Some of these posts are so off topic!

Seriously, all you anti-mormon folks need to find a new website. Who the hell cares if you terminated your membership with the LDS church? This is a discussion about Mitt Romney.

I suppose that if he also likes to eat chicken for lunch, the PETA protestors should find the political ticker as a soapbox for their rant?

Seriously, if you don't care for the LDS church any more, move on. Charles from SLC, you obviously have some issues to work through. You seem to make it your personal mission to post as much negative comments about the LDS church as possible. Here is an idea: MOVE OUT OF UTAH! Get on with your life and do something productive with your time.

Sheesh people! This is America where freedom of religion IS allowed.

December 2, 2007 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  10. Marcus Horton, Dubuque, Iowa

It's always about religion. Always was and always will be. For me, a republican, I would rather vote for Hillary then Romney. A wolf is a wolf. A sheep is a sheep. But a wolf in sheep's clothing is evil and antichrist.
    Unlike Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant Christianity, Mormonism does not include belief in a Trinity, in which the one God consists of three persons. Instead, Mormons believe that the "Godhead" is made up of three distinct beings who are "one in purpose" but not in being.

December 2, 2007 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. Charles in Salt Lake City, UT

“Charles from SLC, you obviously have some issues to work through. You seem to make it your personal mission to post as much negative comments about the LDS church as possible. Here is an idea: MOVE OUT OF UTAH! Get on with your life and do something productive with your time.Sheesh people! This is America where freedom of religion IS allowed.”Posted By Reality Check : December 2, 2007 2:04 am
    Dear “Reality Check” (i.e., Afraid to Use Actual Name):
    First of all, I have lived in Utah for many decades and have a right as an American to live where I choose. I enjoy living in Utah, where I have learned to be tolerant of a great many ideas and concepts that I find peculiar, but while I may disagree with some of them I can nevertheless respect the rights of others to have them. Perhaps it would help you in your own personal growth to move to Utah as well for that very reason?
    Second, the First Amendment that acknowledges our freedom to believe as we choose regarding religion also guarantees us freedom of speech. If Mitt Romney isn’t going to discuss the impact his faith system might have on his potential viability as President of the United States, he leaves it up to others who feel it is relevant to do so.
    And it IS relevant, R.C. I didn’t write the Book of Mormon, but unlike a good many others I have read it. I don’t particularly mind if other people choose to believe in it, but I’m grateful I don’t have to. You see, any book purporting to be a scripture inspired by God that portrays God as a racist who “curses” people for their iniquity by giving them a “dark skin” so that His righteous, “light-skinned” people won’t be inclined to “mingle amongst them” (in other words, God is promoting segregation), and who then promises those same cursed people that if their descendents will one day become righteous again He will remove the curse and turn their skin white again as a “reward” – that book simply doesn’t impress me as being truly of God. And if you cannot see how having such a belief is relevant in considering a person for the office of President of the United States, then I take comfort in the assurance that my vote is going to cancel yours out.

December 2, 2007 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. Steve Blaine Washington

Charles from Salt lake or whatever your original posting was.
    Your article on this posting is a duplicate of posting on previous article regarding Romney.

December 2, 2007 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  13. AJ, IC, IA

This forum shows the ignorance and bigotry that are being preached out there most notably by the people who have been doing it since the inception of the LDS church. Preachers that are affraid of loosing money from thier congregations! It is plain, obvious, and if you ask them about it... they will deny it. Lets go form a mob and get these people out of here...! Oh wait what century are we in?

December 2, 2007 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Reality Check

Charles:

Why are you so hung up on Mormons? Do you honestly have so little to contribute to society that you feel bigger, justified, satisfied by poking at others beliefs?

At first, I thought you were a nutjob. Now I have utter pitty and compassion for you. How sad it must be to have nothing meaningful to spend your time doing that you have to spread lies, deceptions and mean spirited remarks.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. Jesus loves you.

December 2, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Michael Arlington,VA

If Romney thought he could get the nomination by being pro-choice, he would in a heartbeat. He knows this is Rudy's position, and its the position that can win him the presidency. Romney has flipflopped on his position over the years. I don't trust the man, and will certainly back Rudy for presidency.
    Rudy is a Republican for Choice, and I am too.

December 2, 2007 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. Karen Houston TX

The article is about Mitts Pro-choice stance. He is Pro-Choice. That is important to me. I don't think that he is flip flopping as many do. I believe that when he was placed in a position of responsibiltiy that he had to take a hard look at where he stood, and he stood on the side of life. What is so hard to understand about that?

To all of you who have so little education or such a limited ability to communicate that you have to resort to name calling and relegion bashing to make some obscure or irrelevant point please do us all a favor and don't.

Stick to the issues!

December 2, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  17. Steve Blaine Washington

When Joseph Smith was alive he said archeology would prove the Book of Mormon and it has. I know of 3 proofs and I am sure if I look I will find more. One deals with Lehi's dream which is carved on a stone and currently is in the Smithstonion Institute. The 2nd is called the Great Wall and is in Peru. It is described as going from sea to sea and is the distance a Nephite can travel in a day. Today it does not go from sea to sea because just prior to the visit to the Nephites the Book of Mormon describes massive earthquakes and massive land changes for 3 days and 3 days of darkness. Agentina and Brazil were now there where there was an ocean or a gigantic lake. There was land to the east of Chile which extended as far at least to Easter Island. About 40 years ago there was an article in the Los angeles times regarding marble columns 200 miles off the coast of Chile which today is only around 200 feet deep. The Book of Mormon describes two groups of people totally 5000 each getting on ships and traveling to the northland around 200BC. If counting men ,women and children the total would have been
    beteen 50,000 and 100,000 or so. These people were todays Mayans who apostized later and was into human sacrafices like the Aztecs. In fact the Aztecs were probably part of the original mayan clan until they killed their king and his family and scattered.
    The Book of Mormon is only a 2nd witness to mission of Jesus Christ
    in accordance with the Bibical Law of 2 witnesses.
    The Book of Mormon was translated Urim and Thummun provided Joseph Smith and there is only one translati8on of these plates. Joseph Smith had to return the plates after he was finished tranlating what he was allowed to translate. There were many other plates which he was not allowed to translate. The Bible has many many translation from the original records which is why there are are so many scripures that only the Mormons understand in regard to the early Christians. Such scriptures as the Baptism of fire, baptism for the dead, new name and etc. One other I will cover because there is a astronomy proof for the date. Look at Malachi 4 verses 5 and 6. Elisha came to the first Mormon temple on 3 Apr 1836
    with Elis,Moses and Jesus Christ to accept 1st Mormon temple and teach how temple ordances were to be performed.
    What is the 1st constant of astronomy which was used to calculate Easter andn other events. Does 18.03 years before orbits repeat ring a bell. Well the date which Elisha appeared in the 1st Mormon Temple in Kirkland is 100
    (18.03 years). If you subtract 1803 years from 1836 you get 33AD which is the date Jesus was Crusified. Preety smart of Jesus Christ right.

of t

December 2, 2007 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  18. chooselife

New advancements in sonogram technology has changed a lot of people's minds. If a picture is worth a thousand words, just imagine what seeing a 20 week old living and emotional fetus is worth. It should be a prerequisite to every abortion..

December 3, 2007 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. Tom Dedham, Mass

The difference you weak minded liberals is that your standard bearer, Hillarity, changes her mind poll to poll, debate to debate and much like John Kerry, sentence to sentence.

There is a difference in one doing that and someone changing positions over a PERIOD OF YEARS.

Do you see the difference, seconds to YEARS.

Romney has NEVER told one crowd or DEBATE AUDIENCE during this election cycle one thing and then told another crowd or audience another thing, NEVER.

Hillarity has done on MANY occasions and the most famous being her "answers" on the illegal immigrants getting licenses CHANGING from one DEBATE to the next DEBATE.

Yeah Tom, but she is ready to lead from day one......

She has never run ANYHING SUCCESSFULLY, her family – Failure as hubby had to cheat on her, Health care – Didn't happen, Campaign finance – Can you say "many dirty yen" and the topper, need to read this report and vote on the war, never read it, voted for it and BLAMES everyone else.

Her only real success was turning $1000 into a $100,000 overnight, even though experts have stated that doing so is impossibe UNLESS you knew something beforehand, I am sure Martha Stewart is happy about that..

Hubby was for Iraq, but now says he wasn't even though his OWN WORDS ON RECORD reflect otherwise.

ANYONE BUT A CLINTON 2008.

December 3, 2007 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. vtercell, just wanderin' around in America

"I would like to hear about this and other political issues concerning Mitt Romney. I believe that the moderator of this site is being irresponsible to allow comments that have nothing to do with the issue. Stick to the issues! Posted By Karen Houston TX"

Wow, lighten up, Karen! Nobody died and put you in charge.

A blog is what it is. People post whatever they feel like is important to them, and if other people find their comment interesting they post their own, and it goes from there. If nobody is interested in what someone says, they get ignored and the discussion moves on.

Whether you like every post or not, they mean something to someone if other people read them. Sometimes it's the LACK of big brother that lets a blog become really interesting and gives them appeal. Sometimes people even learn something.

So if you want to open a topic go ahead and say something, and if anybody cares about what you want to talk about, they'll answer. And if all you want to do is whine about what other people talk about, if someone finds that interesting they'll even answer that.

I did.