December 3rd, 2007

California Democratic Party sanctions CNN debate

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The California Democratic Party announced Monday that it has sanctioned the Democratic Presidential Primary Debate that will air January 31 on CNN, and feature questions from Los Angeles Times and POLITICO journalists.

The debate - to be held in Los Angeles - will be the Democratic contender's final face off before voters from delegate-rich California, as well as 20-plus other states, are set to head to the polls on February 5.

“The California Democratic Party is excited that our party’s presidential debate, on the eve of the momentous Feb. 5 primaries, will be in Los Angeles, California,” said California Democratic Party Chairman Art Torres. “As a native Angeleno, I am proud to join CNN, the Los Angeles Times and POLITICO in helping our presidential candidates embrace the diversity and vision that California offers all Americans.”

This is the only debate that the Democratic Party of California has officially sanctioned in the 2008 race for the White House. CNN’s Wolf Blitzer will moderate the debate.

Filed under: Political
  1. J Houston, TX

feature questions from Los Angeles Times and POLITICO journalists

Oh cool they're gonna limbo! How low can you go?

December 3, 2007 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. carol,vegas,nevada

By january 3rd I shall have known my position. So california debate is irrelevant. I must say this has been taking so long and I can not wait to put it into rest!
    To give your a clue if Obama looses in Iowa what else will be left for me to pay attention to?

December 3, 2007 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. zak,iowa

I don't need to watch it if it is wolf. But the good news here is that I shall have known who has won the nomination by the third of january...

December 3, 2007 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. Freddy, Miami, Florida

Noo! not Wolf! Can't CNN get anyone other than Wolf Blitzer to moderate. He's horrible, the candidates know it, we know it, and CNN knows it.

"Raise your hand if you agree"
    ::::disaster ensues::::

December 3, 2007 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. cathy,iowa

I don't need that debate if it's wolf blitzer moderating. Have had enough!

December 3, 2007 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. BCNU purple state, usa

December 3, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Brian, Orlando, Florida

Like it matters! The Media and political parties have already decided that 3 small and insignificant states will crown our next president. One would think these 3 states should pay all of the federal taxes.

December 3, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Wayne, Silver Spring

how can we make sure that CNN doesnt plant any question or everyone debating will get a fair share?

CNN=CLINTON NEWS NETWORK

December 3, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. karen nj

NOOOOOOOO! Please , get Anderson , not Wolf. c'mon everybody with me ' "We want Anderson We want Anderson "

December 3, 2007 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  10. Jacksonville, FL

Will CNN have Dem. ask questions liked that of the Rep debate. Anderson was shown to have lied about his knowledge of Gen. Kerr. It has been proven that Anderson had prior knowledge who Kerr was and his politics. Anderson crediability has went to zero.
    I think we should have solid questions just make them fair to both parties.

December 3, 2007 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  11. Jim, Irmo, SC

I know that you guys at CNN don't get swayed by posts here, but, please, Blitzer has way too much negative baggage from the last debate. You guys might want to consider someone else.

December 3, 2007 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  12. JK Ashburn, VA

Not surprising the CalDems were quick to buddy up with CNN. They can expect a bunch of softball questions and no intelligent follow-up. It also gives the Dems an excuse as to why Tim Russert is not having another crack at them with some meaty questions they won't answer. I doubt Hillary would have shown up for another night with him.

December 3, 2007 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  13. Joanne Urish, Glasford, IL 61533

The debates are not impressing me one
    little bit, especially if Wolf Blitzer
    is involved. He has to have been the
    worst moderator I've ever seen. If Barack doesn't win in Iowa, the whole
    thing is over as far as I'm concerned.

December 3, 2007 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  14. Tom Dedham, Mass

Why is it that they can only appear on CNN?

After the debacles, plants, Clinton mouthpieces posing as impartial politico's and outright biased coverage that have all been seen and proven, can't we use another forum?

What has this network done to deserve even more debates, is it because they lie about being the most "trusted name in news".

Can't wait for the next SCANDAL to come out of this "debate".

December 3, 2007 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  15. demwit

CNN’s answer to getting creamed in the ratings by its competitor’s fair and balanced news coverage is to setup political debates in which only liberals are asking the questions. It’s like a modern day version of a liberal Patrick Henry. Give me my progressive agenda or give me death.

December 3, 2007 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  16. Lisa, PA

Say it ain't so. I figured the DNC would have learned from the last debate.

CNN should be forever banned from hosting debates. Wolf Blitzer, again? AAAAGGGHHHH!!

December 3, 2007 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  17. Willy, Chesapeake, VA

Softball question tossed by ole Wolfie Boy the democrats ace pitcher. Heck who needs to plant questions when CNN sets up the playing field.

December 3, 2007 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  18. YouTubeHAH!, Denver, CO

SOFTBALLS! Get yer CNN softballs here. Be the first to lob one of these beauties to the candidates at the debate courtesy of CNN. SOFTBALLS! Get yer softballs here. Don't worry, lady, y'can't hurt nobody by lobbing someting with so little substance – they're also teflon coated so nothing sticks to 'em neither.
    SOFTBALLS! Get yer CNN softballs here.

Second repost Guess you guys and gals can't take the heat!

December 3, 2007 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  19. Pam Los Angeles, CA

Wolf is a biased, unfair moderator! He had his shot and blew it!

We need to hear more from Dennis Kucinich! It's only fair.

December 4, 2007 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  20. Anonymous

"Staging another debate? I gues theyre betting the writer's strike will be over by then."

Who needs writters when CNN stages the questions from a liberals point of view??

December 4, 2007 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. Jon G. Paris, TX

Is this some kind of joke? CNN must be pro-torture because they make the candidates sit through Wolf Blitzer. Please don't make the same mistake twice, you actually want people to tune in, right?

Guess Anderson was on assignment...

December 4, 2007 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  22. Rich P. in Princeton, NJ

Hey, that's not fair! Shouldn't Campbell "My Husband Is Former Coalition Provisional Authority Spokesman and Now Romney Activist and Bush War Policy Shill Dan Senor" Brown be asking the questions?

December 4, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Tom Dedham, Mass

Maybe Curt Schilling can toss the softballs during the next Republican debate.

That's right CNN, they only get hand picked GOTCHA questions from plants.

My bad.

December 4, 2007 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  24. stevefallon

I would prefer to see a panel of journalists moderate this debate. I think Judy Woodruff did a great job and I would like to see her on the panel.

December 13, 2007 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  25. John C. Dwankowski

As a special education teacher of thirty years, what do the democratic candidates propose doing about the two failed educational programs of "No Child Left Behind" ans the "Idea" programs. These two programs have failed to improve the educational systems in California and for all the United States.

January 28, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |