December 5th, 2007

Thompson does not have hunting license

Thompson said Wednesday he regrets not going hunting in a while.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - Fred Thompson has made a point of visiting gun shops and gun shows while hitting the campaign trail in New Hampshire and South Carolina, usually with camera crews in tow.

But Thompson said Wednesday he does not have a hunting license, nor has be been hunting recently.

"It's been too long, it's been too long," Thompson told CNN Wednesday.

Asked if he has a hunting license, Thompson said he currently does not.

"At the present time I do not, but I have been hunting plenty of times. I usually hunt birds and used to have my own skeet shoot, and I got a chance to shoot and practice a lot back then."

Thompson, an ardent defender of Second Amendment rights, was appearing in Columbia to pick up the endorsement of South Carolina Citizens for Life.

Just yesterday, Thompson appeared at Blue Ridge Shooting Sports in Greer, South Carolina where he handled a gun and said he is "pretty much a shotgun man these days."

Thompson also visited the Land and Sky Gun Show in Ladsen, South Carolina in late November, proclaiming it "a beautiful day in paradise."

At the CNN/YouTube debate on November 28, Thompson was asked if he owns a gun.

"I own a couple of guns, but I'm not going to tell you what they are or where they are," he said.

Thompson said Wednesday he wished he had more time to go hunting.

"It seems like other things seem to be getting in its way," he said.

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Fred Thompson • South Carolina
  1. Aaron Smithsburg, Maryland

No Glen of Boston YOU live in a urban culture, some of us still enjoy long walks in the woods and the beauty and serenity of nature. You uptight city folks are always the first to crack up, because your world was built by a man. Concrete jungles are the first places you should have a gun. You know why? It's the same reason women in the large cities will scream fire if their being raped, you have all been desensitized to sex, violence, and debauchery. The city is cold and cruel, so you lump people and places into two categories good or bad. You don;t want to get involved? Some people are not built to endure the extreme pressures of urban society. So you hand all your problems over to the government, because you can't hack it. Meanwhile fun loving, intelligent, free thinking people like me continue to live life to the fullest, out here on the edge of civilization, without the infringement of Big Brother watching me like a dog to a sheep. We teach our children to love the earth, and all of it's creations, even if we shoot and eat a couple them occasionally. Oh yeah in order to achieve a truly peaceful world we would have to kill all the bad guys and who would make that list Santa Claus? Have you been naughty or nice?

December 6, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  2. A Billings, High Point NC

I strongly support the Second Amendment and I don't have a hunting license either. So what? Yes, I own a gun - an antique 12-gauge that belonged to my grandfather that hasn't been fired in 30 years.

December 6, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. rightwingprof, state college, PA

Here's a free clue: The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

December 6, 2007 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. J Houston, TX

Hay don't support any candiate for president that want tax cuts permanent if tax cuts permanent get pass in to law then the rich billionairs will never pay taxes the taxes will be paid by the poor and middle class then the bush administration will want to raise taxes on the poor and middle class congress don't change the tax code to make the poor and middle class foot the tax bill TELL g.w. bush to go suck a cup of oil

How ignorant are you? The top 1% of income earners (1% of the population) pays more than 40% of total tax revenue. You think you're getting the raw end of the deal though?

December 6, 2007 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. RCM

Andrew and Glen

Militia- all able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.

One does not need be IN a service, simply able to.

December 6, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. JohnGalt Sturgis, SD

Why would anyone regret not killing an innocent creature for a stupid human thrill. Go hang out at the slaughter houses big men, then go find the purpose of your statement. What is it with the U.S....kill, smoke, drink, God, and Hollywood. It's becoming an embarrassment being American.

December 6, 2007 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  7. Dan Lemaitre. Nantucket Island, Ma.

CNN. Clueless once again. Your lame attempt to discredit Thompson for not having a hunting license shows once again your bias and utter incompetence when it comes to gun ownership.
    Since when does the 2nd mention hunting?
    You dolts.
    Perhaps you may want to do a bit of research before you go spouting of about something you obviously know nothing about.
    Oh, I forgot. CNN never lets the facts or the truth prevent them from putting out a false,inaccurate and biased story.

December 6, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  8. Zendo Deb, Greater Tampa Bay, Florida

I haven't had a hunting license in the past 20 years.

All the time I was a member of the NRA, I never went hunting. When I was an NRA instructor, I never went hunting.

What does that prove? There are more shooting sports than hunting.

December 6, 2007 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  9. Dicky, Boston, Ma USA!

I'm from the city, born and raised, so I understand more than you countryfolk (GaVoter) the need for guns. But it's tough to get a license. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

I love how (some) Liberals disagree with the 2nd amendment. I thought liberals believed in people having rights and mistrusted the government.

If you mistrust the Government, why let them have all the guns. The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to allow people to have guns so that in case the government fails to serve the interest of the people, the people have a means to rise up against that government. Now I hope that never happens, because I dont know how well my sig will fare against an abrams.
    –CIA: That was a joke. Just a joke.–

December 6, 2007 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Dandapani, Tampa, FL

Hunting and hunting licenses have NOTHING to do with the 2nd Amendment right to own a firearm for self protection. I don't have a hunting license, but I DO have a license to carry a concealed weapon to protect myself. Too bad all those dead people in Nebraska couldn't have defended themselves. It would have only taken ONE of them.

December 6, 2007 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. Johnny Rebbie, Jax, FL

Hmmm... Will CNN do background checks on pro-life politicians to find out that they have never had abortions and use that as a headline? Seriously, where is the story about someone support the 2nd Amendment but not having a hunting license?

December 6, 2007 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  12. Ben Miner, Fairfax, VA

What a pathetic non-story. You do not need to hunt in order to support the second amendment. In fact, the 2A has NOTHING to do with hunting in the first place! The clear intent of the founders was to guarantee the right to self-defense and protection from tyranny.

December 7, 2007 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |