December 6th, 2007

McCain seeks support of Red Sox Nation

Curt Schilling campaigned for John McCain Wednesday in New Hampshire.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Sen. John McCain competed for top billing with superstar campaign trail partner Curt Schilling Wednesday as the two made an appearance at a Granite State private school.

The crowd, a mix of voters and baseball fans, threw questions at both the Arizona senator and the World Series winning Red Sox pitcher. The two became close friends when Schilling played for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

McCain playfully acknowledged that a lot of the young people on hand "came because of Curt, not because of me."

Schilling, who supported President Bush in 2004, dismissed former New York mayor – and lifelong Yankee fan - Rudy Giuliani’s recent late-season support for the Boston Red Sox.

"That's a status quo of the flip flopping thing that happens across a lot of party lines," Schilling said.

Schilling addressed the possible Red Sox recruitment of Minnesota Twins pitcher Johan Santana, calling it "potentially exciting," and diplomatically discussed his rivalry with New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

"He's going to retire the greatest player that ever played the game offensively, I don't question that for a second,” said Schilling, adding of the current state of the Red Sox, “We're made a little different, this team, this franchise now."

Schilling noted that General Manager Theo Epstein had "kicked the tires," exploring bringing Rodriguez on board, but ultimately, said Schilling, "one of the beauties of working for an organization that gets it now, is that they realize that there is no one player that will ever be more important than the sum of the parts."

McCain joked, "I believe Curt might have a future in politics the way he handled that question."

On the same campaign swing, Schilling cut an ad for McCain, according to the New Hampshire Union-Leader.
In it, Schilling calls the senator "a man of principle who sticks to his guns," who "has been tested like no other politician in America.

"I've seen some tough competitors in my time," Schilling says in the spot, which will air soon in New Hampshire. "But none tougher than John McCain."

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. C. Jackson, Nashville, TN

The common thread between Curt Schilling and Senator McCain are that they both give it to you as straight as anyone in their respective professions. Regardless of whether you agree with him or what you think of his pitching abilities, Schilling is known for shooting straight. It, therefore, is no surprise that he is endorsing McCain. I find it rather refreshing that two men who are in professions that encourage "correctness" share a common trait grounded in honesty. Apparently straight talk sits well with some of the people on here only when they hear it coming from someone in their own party! Finally, just because someone supported Bush in 2004 does not necessarily mean that person approves of President Bush now – that would explain his decline in approval. I believe Senator McCain has distanced himself enough from President Bush on key issues. Don't any of you remember the 2000 Rebublican primary????

December 6, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. Justin, Vancouver, USA

Schilling is an idiot with a capital I!

December 6, 2007 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. Donald S., Washington DC

I think some of you are thinking about this in the wrong way. I doubt many voters care that Curt Schilling is supporting McCain for President. However, Schilling's appearance gave McCain an opportunity to have an audience with people that might not have otherwise come out. That's why it's important. Oprah's endorsement of Barack Obama is the same way. His appearance on her show or just the mere mention of her endorsement might get some Oprah fans to check him out when they might not have without it. Since many people don't read anything about any of the candidates, that limited exposure can make a big difference.

December 6, 2007 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. mayhem, bo-town, ma

considering more americans vote for american idol than in the presidential election, i would say celebrity endorsements is the way to go. just like people support candidates with bumper stickers or signs, curt is doing the same thing only in a more vocal manner. as for the person stating that schilling is one of the most hated players in the game of baseball by fellow players and fans, i'd have to say that's quite inaccurate.

December 6, 2007 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  5. Aaron Smithsburg, Maryland

If your vote comes down to your favorite baseball team, its a sad day in America. If more people studied constitutional law than menial sports scores, we might have a thriving democracy not a plutocracy. Even sports teams worry more about money and image, than competition and fair play. May the side with the most money win? Even my local government is like a high society get together, which pretty much consists of a bunch of freemasons patting each other on the back for job well done. Needless to say I stick out, when I get question bounced back at me like; Never seen you at church before? That's why on my day's off I whine and complain to the ghosts on my computer? Secret societies of the ruling class freak me out!!!

December 6, 2007 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Dave, Boston MA

As a Red Sox fan, I'm very disappointed that ONCE AGAIN Curt has chosen to endorse a candidate that hates gays and doesn't think women should have the right to choose their own medical procedures.

December 6, 2007 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. larry buchas, new britain, ct

I notice athletes usually support Republicans & entertainers Democrats.

We don't have to agree but I respect their beliefs like anyone else.

I defended Springsteen for joining John Kerry on the campaign trail & appreciated his support.

I was angry for Schilling to support Bush for the same reason. But it's his choice & his reputation & I'll respect that choice.

December 6, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  8. John, New York, NY

A lot of morons here. Who cares? I wonder if you idiots get as worked up as when Oprah campaigns for Obama or Steisand for Hillary. Who cares?

December 6, 2007 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Cirus,cl,Ohio

and that doesn't make him Oprah or I mean a celebrity?

America is as bais as before!

December 6, 2007 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  10. sally,nashua,NH

Wait…McCain is still in the race?

Posted By Dave, Boston MA : December 6, 2007 10:52 am

Hehehehehehe, yes he is, bomb ,bomb,bomb Iran.
    This guy is a joke!

December 6, 2007 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. harry,iowa

Baseball players should be seen and not heard.

Posted By Diane : December 6, 2007 12:1
    looooooooooooooooooooooooool!
    I stopped what I was doing to laugh this comment. Funny, really funny but I hate schilling in political stand point. He looks bad given that he supported Bush in 2004. I believe he should only be seen in baseball but not be heard.....

December 6, 2007 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  12. Tom - Dedham, Mass

To you moronic liberals, two things here, they HAPPEN to be FRIENDS going back to Curt's days in Arizona and even though Curt pitches for Boston they have remained FRIENDS.

Secondly, I don't care who he supports like I don't care about Obama geting support from Oprah, I do however show some respect for them having an opinion.

December 6, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. ne,pa

Do you think Schilling would support war monger McCain if his sons were of draft age...

December 6, 2007 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  14. Joe Nardolillo Rhode Island

There is my oppinion only one electable Presidential candidate running for President, and that is Senator John McCain. This man stayed in a P.O.W. camp in Hanoi for six + years with the rest of P.O.Ws even though he was offered to,because his father was a high rank Navy Official, to be released because of that fact.But he chose to stay. This alone doesn't alone give him a free pass,but it says a lot for his character and patriotism. He deserves it.

December 6, 2007 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  15. David Allen Linkenheimer

I think Mr. McCain is banking on the public at large being "Dumbed Down" and preoccupied with sports and all of the other nonsence that passes for entertainment in America.
    It is a damm shame that the powers that be cant contain the epidemic of truth from spreading via the internet.
    Give us some ligitimate substance for a change... Many of us are throughly dissatisfied with the "status quo".

December 7, 2007 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  16. ne,pa.

Do you really think Schilling would support war monger McCain if his sons were of draft age....

December 7, 2007 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. Christian NY, NY

Does Curt have a life? Or does he need to be putting his 2 cents into everything and anything – other's peoples problems, issues, and now politics – he doesn't know when to shut up – "highly respected"? I think that comment deserves an asterisk

December 20, 2007 11:53 am at 11:53 am |