December 6th, 2007

McCain seeks support of Red Sox Nation

Curt Schilling campaigned for John McCain Wednesday in New Hampshire.

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire (CNN) - Sen. John McCain competed for top billing with superstar campaign trail partner Curt Schilling Wednesday as the two made an appearance at a Granite State private school.

The crowd, a mix of voters and baseball fans, threw questions at both the Arizona senator and the World Series winning Red Sox pitcher. The two became close friends when Schilling played for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

McCain playfully acknowledged that a lot of the young people on hand "came because of Curt, not because of me."

Schilling, who supported President Bush in 2004, dismissed former New York mayor – and lifelong Yankee fan - Rudy Giuliani’s recent late-season support for the Boston Red Sox.

"That's a status quo of the flip flopping thing that happens across a lot of party lines," Schilling said.

Schilling addressed the possible Red Sox recruitment of Minnesota Twins pitcher Johan Santana, calling it "potentially exciting," and diplomatically discussed his rivalry with New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

"He's going to retire the greatest player that ever played the game offensively, I don't question that for a second,” said Schilling, adding of the current state of the Red Sox, “We're made a little different, this team, this franchise now."

Schilling noted that General Manager Theo Epstein had "kicked the tires," exploring bringing Rodriguez on board, but ultimately, said Schilling, "one of the beauties of working for an organization that gets it now, is that they realize that there is no one player that will ever be more important than the sum of the parts."

McCain joked, "I believe Curt might have a future in politics the way he handled that question."

On the same campaign swing, Schilling cut an ad for McCain, according to the New Hampshire Union-Leader.
In it, Schilling calls the senator "a man of principle who sticks to his guns," who "has been tested like no other politician in America.

"I've seen some tough competitors in my time," Schilling says in the spot, which will air soon in New Hampshire. "But none tougher than John McCain."

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: John McCain • Rudy Giuliani
  1. Brad, from the great state of Texas

I agree with most of the people here that Schilling's opinion should not carry any more weight than the average Joe or Jane, but to say you hate him, like Jen and George said in their comments, is downright mean-spirited. Everyone is entitled to their opinions (even jerks like Jen and George), but don't huff and puff like a spoiled child because it's not the same as yours. Do any of you recall seeing hateful comments about Oprah for supporting Obama? I sure don't– maybe that's the difference between liberals and conservatives.

I hope all that hatred and resentment keeps you warm at night, Jen and George, because you are both cold-blooded snakes!

December 6, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  2. Marc, Lafayette CA

"Schilling, who supported President Bush in 2004..."

Why would anyone listen to this moron after he completely blew his credibility by supporting Bush/Cheney '04?

December 6, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  3. Stew Kreitzer, Gainesville, Fl

A lot of funny comments here. Last I checked, Schilling was an American citizen and as such can speak his mind all he wants. He can support any candidate he pleases, and if he helps draw a crowd, more power to him. I don't see how that should impede any of our pundits above from thinking for themselves.

December 6, 2007 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  4. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

While one can only admire Curt Schilling's lifelong tenacity and accomplishments in baseball, it is regrettable he has chosen to endorse men now and in 2004 who have advocated economic policies which benefit mainly the rich and basically rape the middle class, the overwhelming majority of whom contribute directly toward paying his exorbitant salary. We do not need his advice and we certainly shouldn't be paying pro athletes the criminally high salaries we do at a time where middle class wages are flat, foreclosures are at record highs, and 1 in 7 of us can't even afford health insurance. So sorry, rich, elite, Mr. Schilling-I, for one, will not be following your advice.

December 6, 2007 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  5. ej, ManchVegas, NH

Yup, Curt's no-value-add on this one. Shouldn't reflect bad on McCain, though. Heck, I'd rather see Schilling in the WH then let Bubba back in ;)

December 6, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  6. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

From looking universe of Candidates, it seems everyone each has their own issue to pound:

McCain: You can vote for me, I'm the best candidate. I'm cool.

Huckabee: I'm out of the loop, but it wasn't my fault that guy got paroled!

Romney: I may be a Mormon, but I'm Presidential in appearance, and gesture!

Richardson: Although I may be behind in topic and point of debate, elect me because I'm smarter than you are.

Clinton: I have it all; I am woman, I am experienced, I am shrewd, I am going to tell you how to live.

Obama: I'm not Hillary, I'm better than Hillary. I have a vision, I did not vote for this war, even though I haven't voted on anything. I make great speeches and Oprah likes me.

Thompson: I'm not just a good ole boy, I'm popular in words and intent. I am an American and I still believe we should defend America no matter what the NIE says.

Giuliani: I am careful, I am sure, I am good. I can learn from my mistakes, as well as yours.

Edwards: I am pandering to anyone that will believe in me, and I will say what it takes to make me more popular than Hillary and Barack.

Gravel: Hey! I'm here too!

December 6, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. John Maglinger, Owensboro, Kentucky

Shilling: A big, strong lad who wears a 101st Airborne hat, glories in his patriotism, yet won't give up his lucrative baseball contract and join the Army to go fight. Semper Pat Tillman. That's my comment.

December 6, 2007 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. chris - Redsox fan, NY

the sad thing is, people who don't pay attention to politics, or watching our country go down the tubes, pay attention to endorsements. It makes their life and choice easy. The American voter is lazy and sports personalities tend to be conservative and misinformed.

December 6, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. Jose Card

This is a free country. If you are posting online, you are involved with politics. How can you ask Curt Schilling to stay out of politics?

It seems nobody Senator McCain brings in is good enough for you. You criticized him having his 95 year old mother and accused him of not having his wife on his side.

I think you are feeling the heated momentum from Senator McCain...

Can you suggest anything positive for this country?

December 6, 2007 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  10. Chris, Washington, DC

I am a huge Red Sox fan and have been for some time. Curt Schilling is a disgusting human being. I beg the Yankees to buy......er.....trade for him.

December 6, 2007 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  11. Stephen, Indianapolis, IN

McCain: "Tell me, Curt, how are we going to beat the b--?"
    Schilling: "Well, Senator, I was thinking of throwing A-Rod a splitter high and inside."

Ba-dum chhhhh!

December 6, 2007 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. Joseph

Schilling is one of if not the most disliked player in baseball by both players and fans, I don't see how this is any sort of advantage for McCain.

December 6, 2007 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. John, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Its funny, when a celebrity supports a liberal, there is nothing wrong with it. but once they support a conservative.."omg, i hate this person"..."they should stay out of politics"...blah blah blah...its all the same.

December 6, 2007 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. Dick Schladen Aurora Indiana

What is this "Red Sox Nation" stuff.
    Down hear in the Cinncinati area, the media keeps saying that the "Tristate" says or thinks this or that. They talk a cohesiveness that doesn't exist. I guess that it serves their purposes but it is nonsense.

December 6, 2007 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  15. Damien,Belpre,OHIO

John McCain is our best chance man of courage and strength go McCain!

December 6, 2007 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  16. Mark C, Winchester, Virginia

CNN, how many times do you plan to recycle this story to give McCain more press?

December 6, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. Joe Merolla Johnston, RI

For the money he makes, he should spend the offseason going thru a tough conditioning program and leave Republican politics to the criminals in the Republican party..

December 6, 2007 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. The Professor, Newburyport MA

Stick with the sunscreen endorsements, Curt. Much more relevant to your line of work...

December 6, 2007 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. Carl Gillig

Sen McCain has Schilling, Gov Huck got Chuck, Sen Obama got Oprah, Hill has Babs and poor old Denny has aliens....lol

December 6, 2007 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  20. Joe G, Washington, DC

Hmmm, a winner who supports a loser. Interesting but stupid.

December 6, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  21. Sad Sox Fan, Philly, PA

Aw, Curt, how could you??!! You might as well endorse Joe Torre!!!

December 6, 2007 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. Bud, PA

Curt Schilling = Tool

December 6, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. jerry parker state college pa

Schilling should stick to what he knows- how to pitch. This is the same guy who was so adament that Bush be re-elected over Kerry because of the consequences of a Kerry presidency.. That alone demonstrates a lack of "gray matter" and judgment such that he shouldn't be attempting to transfer his "star quality" in baseball into a reason to vote for anybody, let alone the leader of ther free world.

December 6, 2007 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  24. Surrealist,Fort Myers, FL

The only thing McCain has in common with most Americans–he is the "unBush" candidate. All the others are supporting everything Bush has done–but coming across as "more glib, better, hair–they're all "business as unusual". He won't get the nomination–because he can't be bought. But you've got to admire his tenacity. Sure wish he had run as a Democrat or Independent!!!

December 6, 2007 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Nathan, Austin, TX

I respect Schilling as one of the few players to have the balls to call out Bonds for using steroids. If there is nothing else, that is a reason to respect Schilling's endorsement.

Thank you Schilling and McCain for sticking it to the people who think cheating their way to the top is an acceptable example for our nation.

December 6, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |