December 8th, 2007

Hillary Clinton brings out Bill to battle Oprah in S.C.

Bill Clinton will be campaigning for his wife in South Carolina just a day before Obama has Oprah Winfrey there for a large event.

(CNN) - It will be the battle of the rock star surrogates this weekend, with a last minute trip by former President Bill Clinton scheduled for South Carolina as Oprah Winfrey campaigns with Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Clinton's appearance for his wife Senator Hillary Clinton was a surprise, added amid saturation media coverage of Obama's three-state swing.

The former President told reporters at a stop in New York City Friday the trip was a "coincidence", though he'll be in South Carolina the day before Obama and Winfrey stop in Columbia.

During a day of appearances in Charleston, Clinton will speak on health care disparity, attend a forum on the subject, visit patients and families at a Children's Hospital and stop at a downtown Charleston market.

The dueling trips come as Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama compete for a bigger share of the critical African-American vote in South Carolina, where the former president remains a popular figure.

Hillary Clinton campaigns Saturday in Iowa, as Obama and Winfrey hold two rallies in Iowa.

–CNN Political Desk Managing Editor Steve Brusk

1. TYSPOCK , COLUMBIA, MD

This country will do well with Hillary and Hilary will do well for this country.
    I cannot believe the people who get their marching orders from "HATE" TV and "HATE" radio, it seems that most of them have loss the ability to think for themselves, as you can see from some of the comments which mirror the comments on hate TV and hate radio – check the newspaper comment sections. If they were really concern about where Hillary would take this country they would really be expressing their utter discuss about where the Bush administration has already taken it – which is down – way way down ! surplus long gone, thousands of lives loss for a completely unnecessary war, 1 trillion and counting taken from our national treasury – funds that our children and their children will need to pay for, 50 billion paid to insurgents to stop attacking our troops – al least for now or until we stop paying them again, 12 billion in 100 dollar bills they claim is just missing – the list of unbelievable stuff just goes on and on and with no lessons learned from the past ; the times when we gave weapons and billions to the Taliban who were fighting the Russians at that time as well as the northern alliance ( now the current leadership of Afghanistan ) not to mention all the weapons and billions more dollars we gave Sodom Hussein during the Iraq – Iran wars – this all after the horrific gassing this administration likes to point out and those plane load of weapons Ollie gave to the Iranians during the U.S. led embargo ? – Why and what for? Were any of those weapons sent to the insurgents in this Iraq war ?. Now days our economy is in shambles, we are on the verge of a recession, this administration has been wrong about so many things that our credibility and respect around the world has been badly soiled, as Scott McCulin said he lad to lend the bush administration some credibility, Tony Snow was kind with his “somewhat of an embarrassment” remark – so Do your homework folks – then decide – because one more Bush like neo-con like administration could well do us in! Our founding fathers prevail over the most powerful military on earth because bullets will never be a substitute for the will of the people – a well informed people ! Neo-cons should return to the toy soldiers of the youth and leave the real soldiers to leaders like Hillary who will make decisions as their commander and chief worthy of the service and their sacrifices !

December 9, 2007 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. jerry,grand blanc, mi.

Bill will lose to Oprah. LOL. jerrysrollin.blogspot.com

December 9, 2007 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Bruce Taylor,Berkeley,CA

There are a lot of very scared Hillary supporters out there? Why would the Democratic Party not select in Obama the spring of its party,rather than go with the autumn in Clinton? If Clinton is the winner in the primary run there will be a Republican vistor in the general election of 2008. I think the electorate will surmise this,however.

December 9, 2007 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  4. Bruce Taylor,Berkeley,CA

There are a lot of very scared Hillary supporters out there! Why would the Democratic Party not select in Obama the spring of its party,rather than go with the autumn in Clinton? If Clinton is the winner in the primary run there will be a Republican victor in the general election of 2008. I think the electorate will surmise this,however.

December 9, 2007 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  5. Fair,Washington DC

I don't get why the African-Americans are not supporting a man who is black, very intelligent, worked his way up in politics, knows the in and outs and very capable of being president. Is it that he is to white? Hillary is white! Would some African-American please tell me why?

Posted By PAUL PROVIDENCE RI : December 8, 2007 2:29 am

I am African American and I am not supporting Obama at this time because he is not the best candidate we have ..and surprise , surprise I am voting for Hillary, but if she somehow is out of the picture Obama is not even my second choice. Obama had a good path to the WH and I for one think he blew it by his impatience and arrogance.

December 9, 2007 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. AlwaysforHillary

I'd go to the ends of the earth to see Bill Clinton again (have seen/met him twice so far) but wouldn't walk two steps to see Oprah!!! I cannot even stand to look at her. She makes me sick to my stomach!!! She is so racist; it is obvious WHY she is endorsing Obama – one reason only!!

December 9, 2007 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. Karen, Bowie, MD

I'll tell you why African Americans are not supporting Obama, especially African American Females because we are intelligent enough to know that we cannot vote for someone just because he is black, if he is not speaking on the issues that are of importance to us then he will not get the support and even more logical, if you pay attention to the way that the republican party is hyping Obama, they know that he is their only chance to regain the white house they know that there is no way in hell when those curtains are drawn and those ballots sumbitted the reds state will put an African American in the White House, I don't care what they say on the outside it will not happen as far as I am concerned a vote for Obama is a vote for four more years of Republican politics, mark my words.Just think about this for two years in a row the democrats could not win the white house in the south because of dirty politics and illegal voting activities, picture what would happen in Florida, Mississippi, Georgia, etc. with Obama on the tickets if you think they cheated in the last two elections you haven't seen anything yet. Reality is not nice but it is what it is.

December 9, 2007 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  8. luis r diaz, rockville, maryland

WE NEED CHANGE, WE NEED OBAMA!

December 9, 2007 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  9. Anonymous

"Hillary Clinton brings out Bill to battle Oprah in S.C."

Hahahaha...hey Hillary...how did that workout for you?? I'm no rocket scientist, but I can imagine not too well!!

December 10, 2007 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. disaappointedemvoter

I was really hoping for Barack Obama to win the Democratic Party nomination for President. I think he would be great for America right now. I had felt this way, UNTIL Oprah Winfrey started her own personal P.R. campaign for who knows what. I have never been drawn to her because she seems to be somewhat of an egomaniac (in my opinion). I think she has began vigorously campaigning for Obama for a number of reasons, all of which can be traced to her ENORMOUS EGO. First off, her ego has a need to take credit if Barack Obama is elected President. Second, and most important, I think she has very big political aspirations for the future. She has done almost everything else. Why wouldn't President Winfrey be one of her future goals? Athough politicaly opposite, I liken her personality to George Bush's in many ways. I think Oprah is hurting Obama's campaign not helping it. Why would anyone take her advise on who to vote for? I think the voting public puts way too much credence in TV and film personalitie's political oppionions. THINK FOR YOURSELVES VOTERS. IT'S WHAT THAT THING SITTING ON YOUR SHOULDERS IS SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR!

December 10, 2007 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  11. Lee Larson

Who is the best candidate for the job? NOBODY!! This country hasn't had a real president for decades! We used to have statesmen, and now all we have is professional politicians.

February 5, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |