December 9th, 2007

Oprah vs. Chelsea

Oprah Winfrey campaigned with Barack Obama, and Chelsea Clinton hit the trail with her mother..

WILLIAMSBURG, Iowa (CNN) – On a day when Oprah Winfrey is taking her first leap into the world of presidential campaigning by stumping for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama in Iowa, Chelsea Clinton is also marking a first. It's the first time she's been out on the trail with her mother, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, during this election cycle. And guess what? They're also in the Hawkeye State.

An attempt to compete with the star power of Winfrey? Not so, said Hillary Clinton.

Answering reporters' questions, Clinton never mentioned the queen of daytime television by name. She did, however, say a trip with her daughter—and her mother, Dorothy Rodham, who also joined them Saturday—had been in the works but that the family kept running into "conflicting schedule needs," that is, until today, coincidentally.

Reporters weren't told about the addition of Chelsea Clinton until Saturday morning.

"It worked out that it was going to be [Saturday], and I'm thrilled to have them with me," Clinton said. "I've had a great time having my mother and my daughter with me. I hope I can persuade one or both of them to come back."

But the two sat quietly while the presidential hopeful spoke.

Asked if Chelsea would be making any comments at any point in the day, Clinton hesitated but stated simply, "I don’t think so."

Reporters were also curious whether Sen. Clinton was at all nervous that Winfrey would no doubt be hogging much of the spotlight Saturday.

At an unofficial campaign stop for breakfast—where reporters with cameras formed a quasi-fortress around the family's table—Clinton chose to answer by saying, "I'm having a good time. I'm just not sure I'm going to eat all of this in front of you. That’s the only thing I'm concerned about right now!"

-CNN Iowa Producer Chris Welch

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Bob, Brunswick, Georgia

Chelsea at the tender age of 23 became a consultant. People are paying her hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for her keen insights into political matters.

Yea, right.

They are paying her because she has Mom on speed-dial.

Apple didn't fall far from the tree!

It ain't bribery, neither. All perfectly legal to hire the daughter of a sitting U.S. Senator as a "consultant"

Why do people defend the Clintons?

December 10, 2007 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  2. Mo le Conquérant, Toronto Canada

Declared no contest as far as intellectual people are concerned, but still we urge Chelsea to encourage her mum in releasing the papers of her time in the white house, the failed health care, the NAFTA and other stuff... regarding Willie

December 10, 2007 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  3. Zach

Stopping covering Oprah. She's not running, yet.

December 10, 2007 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. From The North

"I am so ready for change. Obama everyday proves to be that hope that the US (and world at large) needs."
    Posted By kate, gb

I beg to differ. The US and the World has BEEN HOPING for change since 2001. What the US and the World needs now is an Experienced Leader who can actually implement change not just give it lip service. And Obama is not the Candidate who can put his mighty words into action. Talk is Cheap. And Presidents void of experience and logic are dangerous. The latter a proven fact!

December 10, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  5. Anonymous

When did Oprah become racist?? As a matter of fact...98% of her audience that recieves free cars and shi* are white!!!! Get a grip people!! Most black people don't have time to sit at home and watch Oprah...and I'm white!!! It's Suburban housewives! Get over yourselves and your ignorance pls...

December 10, 2007 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Skott J. Tampa, FL

The premise of the article "Oprah v Chelsea" is typical of the media. Dumb down the news to an American Idol or American Gladiator level so the masses can be stirred. This is NOT a sum zero game. Oprah does not diminish Chelsea or vice a verse. And look what your reap. Hateful people leaving messages that do not qualify for intelligent conversation or civil debate. (Poster, Anson Ang, being the most offensive and uninformative.) Ick! The posters make me feel like I've stepped in unsavory ooze.

Although I have not decided who will get my vote, I am less likely to vote for Obama based on Oprah's support. I do not believe that one person with fame and a ton of money should be influencing the outcome of an important election. She will get people who believe in her and have no clue about Obama to vote as she decides. There is something very wrong about using your celebrity to influence an election. While she is probably a good person with good intentions I wish she had stayed out of the spotlight on this. I think less of her now, than before.

December 10, 2007 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. greg opelika alabama

obama what a name. sounds like a terriost name . i believe he is a terriost . a sleeper cell for you .going to ram a plane in your mortgaged home .get it

December 10, 2007 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. Dawn, Cadillac, Michigan 49601

I think it is time to get rid of politics as usual and get REAL PEOPLE that REALLY CARE about our country and the AMERICAN CITIZENS. Someone who will actually listen to what we as AMERICAN CITIZENS want for OUR country.

December 10, 2007 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. Chris, Charlotte, NC

not much os an Oprah fan but seriously, Chelsea?! umm, would I listen to some privliged brat like this stumping for her brat mother?

December 10, 2007 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Steve in SC

Jack in NY,

According to your ingenius statement Barabra Streisand is both a racist and a sexist right?

Jack in St Louis,

His middle name is Hussein (I am almost sure as soon as he was born, he named himself). Your point is what? We know his middle name because IT HAS BEEN USED! Time to move on, please!

December 10, 2007 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Chad Conner, Dallas TX

Maybe CNN should spend more time addressing the candidates and their views and less time worrying about celebrities. Your web site regarding candidates positions hasn't been updated in months. There are scant details regarding healthcare proposals or plans for Iraq & Iran. How about voting recoreds? Yet yesterday 3 of your stories on the home page dealt with Oprah or celebrity endorsements.

By the way, do you get a free car or fridge when you go to an Obama rally?

December 10, 2007 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. NObama '08, TX

Don't be a Racist! Vote Obama 08!

Posted By Marion, Lagrange, GA : December 9, 2007 6:04 am

This is the most ludicrous statement yet. A vote for Obama merely because HALF the color of his skin is black is racist. Don't be a sheep and vote for Obama just because he's half black. That is the most ridiculous reason to vote for Obama. And furthermore, it is taking a WOMAN (color doesn't matter) for this MAN to look good as a presidential hopeful! Oprah sold out as a woman! I'm sure that Oprah is a great mother figure for Obama. I'll bet he was breastfed the whole trip.

December 10, 2007 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. DeDe Iowa

Maya Angelou calls Clinton 'my girl' in South Carolina ad
    By Seanna AdcoxAssociated PressAdvertisement
    Poet Maya Angelou says in a new radio ad airing in South Carolina that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is a strong woman who is committed to equal treatment for all children.

"Each generation of African-Americans stands on the shoulders of those who came before," Angelou says in the 60-second ad that began airing over the weekend in this early voting state. "Today, the challenges facing us threaten the dreams we have had for our children. We need a president with the experience and strength to meet those challenges."

Clinton's friendship with Angelou dates back to her days as first lady of Arkansas, where Angelou grew up, the New York senator's campaign said.

"Let me tell you about my girl," Angelou says in the ad. "I am inspired by Hillary Clinton – a daughter, a wife, a mother. My girl." Angelou, whose works include "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," was the inaugural poet for President Bill Clinton in 1993. She endorsed Hillary Clinton in June.

December 10, 2007 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Sara Chicago,Ill.

I think chelsea is very attractive, private citzen,i thought it was nice she would come out and help her mom,throw that support chelsea,I heard she has her mothers intelllect and abilities,I hope she does run one day for my childrens generation.She has bill and hillary in her all the way.

Hillary 08 the one I trust and believe will help us Democrats to the white house.

December 10, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  15. LORI WATTERSON MELVIN, IL

I WAS A FAN OF OPRAH FOR YEARS BUT LATELY SHE HAS BECOME HARD TO TAKE. I FOUND HER SOUND BITE IN AFRICA WHEN SHE OPENED HER SCHOOL TO BE THE END FOR ME- WHEN SHE SPOKE SHE TRIED TO SOUND LIKE SHE HAD A SOUTH AFRICAN ACCENT-WHAT'S WITH THAT??? NOW, THE SOUND BITE FROM THE OBAMA MEETING SHE SOUNDED VERY PREACHY AND I THOUGHT A LOT LIKE THE REV JESSE JACKSON-WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??? SHE TURNS ME OFF WHEN I HEAR HER TALK ANYMORE SHE IS A FAKE AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED-SHE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT HER TV SHOW AND ALLOW THE VOTERS TO DECIDE THIS ELECTION. MY ONLY COMMENT TO HER IS "GET REAL" AND BY THAT I MEAN STOP TRYING TO SOUND LIKE SOMEONE YOUR ARE NOT!!! SHE IS NOT MY VOICE IN THIS ELECTION AND I HOPE THAT THE MILLING HERD OF WOMEN WHO WATCH HER SHOW DECIDE TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES AND NOT TAKE THE WORD OF OPRAH AMEN BUT FIND THEIR OWN WORDS AND THOUGHTS AS THEY ENTER THE VOTING BOOTH.

December 11, 2007 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |