December 9th, 2007
06:39 AM ET
6 years ago

Richardson: I'll have celebrities, too

Richardson said he's fine with celebrities stumping for candidates and added that he'll soon have some of his own.

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (CNN) – As ‘Oprahbama’ fever sweeps Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, Gov. Bill Richardson told reporters in Nevada on Saturday, “Of course celebrities play a role in American culture, and I don’t see any problem in trotting out people that are outside of politics that support your candidacy.”

The announcement that Oprah Winfrey would stump for Sen. Barack Obama ignited a debate over the role of celebrity endorsements in presidential politics. A South Carolina legislator who supports Sen. John Edwards called the Oprah events “publicity stunts,” perhaps unaware that celebrities have hit the trail for her candidate as well.

In Iowa, Sen. Hillary Clinton danced around a direct Oprah question but argued, “At the end of the day it’s a choice among those of us who are running. And I think that most voters understand that.”

Richardson agreed with Clinton, saying, “I think the voters should make up their minds on the qualifications of the candidates,” but admitted to CNN, “I’m going to have a few [celebrities] of my own too.”

– CNN Nevada Producer Alexander Marquardt

soundoff (32 Responses)
  1. Jenny, paxton MA

    betty hooker, harry belafonte, danny glover, and you belong to the intelligent 5% of the population. the problem is, the rest, the dumb 95%, rules in the so-called democracy.

    December 10, 2007 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  2. Missy Dix, Hudson Ohio

    Interesting topic, well reported by CNN

    December 10, 2007 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  3. The MidniteRyder Everytown USA

    so much venom – such little substance sigh

    when did American politics go awry? oh wait I know the answer to this one – since our dear old founding fathers first begged Washington to be King George the First of America – but he wisely declined and after some more arm twisting finally agreed to take the oath of Prez on April 30, 1789 in New-York-City... and then basically the two party system was born and the rest is history (except now we're stuck with dubya the self-crowned king for another year – but that's a whole nother hot potato)

    maybe it's time to seriously consider scrapping the party system all together and just vote for the person – be they man, woman or other – just let it all hang out

    and may the best man woman whatever win

    ps and what's wrong with pudgy guys, some of y'all should take a full length look in the mirror LOL

    December 10, 2007 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  4. Steve in SC

    Is he feeling left out or what? Too funny!

    December 10, 2007 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  5. bongo

    I heard the Spice Girls and that guy from Kung Fu were endorsing Richardson.

    December 10, 2007 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  6. TheMidniteRyder Everytown USA

    Nah Chuck's endorsing Huck = "Better vote for my friend Huckabee cuz Walker Texas Ranger says so POW" or some such thing – forget – must be a senior moment

    Or were you referring to Kwai Chang Caine LOL "You are not ready grasshopper"

    "If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present; but if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future. The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past." - Master Po ;=)

    December 11, 2007 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  7. James, Houston,TX.

    Bill Richardson should seek out Tony Orlando as his Celebrity Rep.
    Maybe Tony can get Bill on the "Nutrisystem". Look what the System has done for Tony! Tony has lost 102lbs and that doesn't include divorces and He's Singing Again!

    December 31, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
1 2

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.