December 10th, 2007

Clinton camp answers Oprah with Angelou

Poet Maya Angelou is the star of a new radio ad for Hillary Clinton.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - On the heels of media mogul Oprah Winfrey's high profile Sunday visit to the crucial primary state of South Carolina for Democrat Barack Obama, rival Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign is launching a new radio ad there featuring noted African American poet ­ and Winfrey pal ­ Maya Angelou.

Angelou, who first announced she was backing the New York senator's presidential bid earlier this year, calls Clinton a "strong woman and a protector of families," in the 60-second spot running on stations across the Palmetto State.

"Each generation of African Americans stands on the shoulders of those who came before," Angelou also says in the ad. "Today, the challenges facing us threaten the dreams we have had for our children. We need a president with the experience and strength to meet those challenges."

The ad comes in the wake of Winfrey's wildly popular tour of early-voting states with Obama over the weekend. The pair drew the biggest turnout in South Carolina, where African Americans make up more than 50 percent of Democratic primary voters.

While Clinton once held a double digit lead in South Carolina, a Mason-Dixon poll released Sunday seems to show Clinton beating the Illinois senator by only 3 percentage points, 28 percent to 25 percent.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Robert, Vivian, LA

I didn't know Angelou was an expert on foriegn policy, economic policy, immigration, the Constitution, etc.

But then again, all the other celebrities who endorse candidates make this ticker, so maybe they all are!

December 10, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  2. MarkieBee, Sacramento, Calif.

Ike, once again and for all you Hillary supporters I issue this challenge: Please list for me why Hillary has more experience than Obama. Please list for me her substantive senate bills she's AUTHORED and passed. I'll be waiting right here for your response.

December 10, 2007 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  3. Columbus, Olivette, MO

I think Maya is within her constitutional right to support Hillary just as Oprah was in supporting Obama.

This leads me to question the way some bloggers were depicting Oprah as racist because she is supporting Obama. Oprah is not racist and Maya is not sexist. They both have their preferences based on what they see as the respective strengths of the candidates.

What I would like to know from those who tout Hillary's experience is this: What has been her signature legislation since being elected senator over six years ago? Does speaking, sounding, acting, and voting like Bush constitute foreign policy experience? If that is the case,why are condemning Bush/Cheney for taking us in the wrong direction? Why don't we wait and vote for Rudy because he would the true heir of Bush/Cheney and not Hillary who is a clone.

Obama has been in elective office for close to 15 years! His accomplishments far outweighs Hillary's with the exception that Hillary has been spending nights at the Governor's mansion and the White House. It is shocking that we are not being told the specifics of Hillary's experience.

This inexperience thing being tagged on Obama is a code word for racism -he is black and the country is predominantly white so Clinton being white and woman stands a better chance than Obama. But that is not politically correct, hence we use the code word of inexperience. Just tell us the basis of Hillary's experience. I will vote for Obama because he is the best candidate among the top three. I trust his judgement, resolve, and ability to work across the political divide. I don't care about his race or parentage. I know he is an American and I refuse to hide under the veil of racism to be using code words such as inexperience, untested etc as if Hillary's experience and wars of the 1990s brought on by her and husband's personal failings are things to be proud of.

December 10, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  4. CB, TX

All of you "Clinton Haters" on here need to stop bashing Maya Angelou. Do you SERIOUSLY think that a woman of her strength and knowledge could be bought for a price? If you do; you are among the ignorant masses.

It IS time for a woman to be President. Men have screwed this country into the ground with their egos and self-proclaimed superiority.

And as far as Oprah having a following...stupid people will always act like sheep. SHE is the paid political endorsement. And BOY did she pay!!!

December 10, 2007 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  5. theprofessional

How quickly we forget, CNN, that the Clintons invited Maya Angelou to give the commencement at Bill's inauguration in '92. This looks like a pretty simple case of Ms. Angelou– who I have great respect for– returning the favor.

December 10, 2007 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  6. Kimberly Clark, San Francisco, CA

Waiting in Sacramento. Obama was a State Senator who had half a term in Washington before deciding to run for president. Hillary has been in Politics for 30 years. What bills did Obama write and pass? For those of you who think Oprah appeals to the "young" voters not like that "crazy old lady" Angelou – Guess what – young people don't vote! They wear buttons and talk big but on election day they can't make it out of bed to get to the polls.

December 10, 2007 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. Brian, Richmond Virginia

I laugh at the poster that says Hillary is the protector of families and children, that is as long as you are one of the unborn

December 10, 2007 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. Mary, Cedar Rapids Iowa

While I have great regard for Ms Angelou, I worry that she hasn't checked with Children's Defense Fund founder Marian Wright Edelman about how she sees the Clintonian politics protecting children (and either his experience=hers or not, right?). Ms Edelman has said they are friends, but have distinct political differences on how to protect children. She talks about it at length.

December 10, 2007 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  9. John, Detroit, Michigan

You people have absolutely no culture if you don't know who Maya Angelou is. It's pitiful.

December 10, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Pacifica, CA

Thank you Maya! You are an admiral role model who I respect so much. I too, think Hillary is the best candidate running. I'm surprised more people have not come forward. My only thought is, they haven't been watching or listening.

December 10, 2007 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  11. Anonymous

lmao ,hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no really its funny hahahahahahahaahahahaha

December 10, 2007 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  12. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Thank you Ms. Angelou for supporting Hillary and for providing a voice of reason against the Oprah-Obama circus of this past weekend.

I respect more your opinion than anything Oprah may have to say. Thank you for remaining faithful to your friend and for stating that experience DOES count after all.

December 10, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. Alex, Arlington, VA

Obama get some experience. I believe deep down Obama doesn't even think he is ready to be President. This not a time to be voting on emotion. Hillary Clinton is by far the best Democratic Candidate out there. Of course the media, and the Republicans want her to lose, but I believe Democrats will use their minds and vote for the best candidate.

December 10, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. RuthieM

How sad. The great Maya Angelou could've been put to better use, in a 'natural' way; instead Clinton had to call her up in the wake of the Winfrey spectacular! How truly sad. Sorry, Ms. Angelou, you know and I know you'd rather be backing Obama, but that's okay, I still love ya!

December 10, 2007 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  15. Jose S. New York, NY

Umm a lot of people are just idiots on here..

Maya Angelou backed Hillary Clinton 5 MONTHS AGO!

This isnt a NEW endorsement that was PAID for.

FYI -

QUINCY JONES BACKED HILLARY CLINTON 4 MONTHS AGO.

When you get a Radio ad with him, dont say you werent told!

December 10, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. AJ, IL

Wow! I'm not sure who is running Hillary's campaign, but over the last month, Hillary and her campaign have made her look more idotic every day. First Oprah officially endorses Obama and joins his campaign team. It has long been reported (past 4 months or so) that Obama affectionately refers to Oprah as "my girl" in public sometimes. What does the Hillary Campaign do? Bill and Hillary ask the woman who was Bill's poet laureate (Maya Angelou) and addressed the audience at Bill Clinton's 1993 inauguration to do a radio ad in support of Hillary. They actually have Maya calling Hillary "my girl". WOW! Talk about non-original thinking!

Sorry Hillary, calling in your political "favors" does not resonate with American public.

December 10, 2007 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  17. EXCLUSIVE!

Now that some of the dust has settled, let's talk reality.

Hillary Rodham Clinton is very intelligent, well organized, articulate, hard working and cares a great deal about the well-being of this country and it's people. Another of Hillary's assets is her ability to compromise. An important tool for getting things accomplished.

I admire Maya Angelou's support of Hillary. It shows she's her own person. What appears important to Oprah, is if it's EXCLUSIVE!

December 10, 2007 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. Sky Pete Wash, DC

Ms Angelou was the poet in residence during Bill's administration. Therefore her support is academic, she knows Hillary more than she knows Obama. Maya and Oprah are really close friends too, so Oprah is obviously not telling her friends who to support.

December 10, 2007 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Sky Pete Wash, DC

- Hillary served as Arkansas's First Lady for 12 years

- Hillary served as America's First Lady for 8 years.

- Hillary served as US Senator for New York for 7 years

December 10, 2007 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Pete, Peoria, Illinois

Obama once called Hillary the Senator from D-Punjab. That should give one something to think of his character.
    Bush and Cheney have slipped while thinking the mic was on mute. But Obama did say it loud and clear. Obama is not perfect either.

December 10, 2007 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. Edward, Austin, TX

For those of you Clintonistas who keep harping on the ELECTORAL COLLEGE? Obama will win because he CAN and IS bringing in INDEPENDENT VOTERS. They don't like Hillary. And neither do the Republicans who are now supporting Obama, like ME. It is time for a real change, not more Bush Cheney lite.

December 10, 2007 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  22. Jackie, Chapel Hill, NC

Posted By MarkieBee, Sacramento, Calif. : December 10, 2007 3:24 pm

I have a better idea,why don't you do what all informed voters should do and do your own research. To get you started, here's link to HRC's official website with a list of some of her accomplishments. In case you are a one of those conspiracy theorists, everything on this site can be verified at independent sites such as thomas.gov Bottom line: HRC HAS done been extremely active in her years as a Senator from NY and should be proud of her record. If that isn't enough for you, she's done many, many good things outside the realm of politics that benefit others that can be independently verified such as her work for the Children's Defense Fund and a life-long commitment to issues of health and education. Hope that's not too positive for you.

December 10, 2007 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  23. Jackie, Chapel Hill, NC

Posted By MarkieBee, Sacramento, Calif. : December 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Posted By Jackie, Chapel Hill, NC : December 10, 2007 5:39 pm

December 10, 2007 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  24. Erik

Each generation of African Americans stands on the shoulders of those who came before. Today, the challenges facing us threaten the dreams we have had for our children?--As a black man I take great offense to this statement. Growing up I would watch PBS's Eyes On The Prize and learn about the African American struggle. The shows would interview Ms. Angelou and she would go on and on about the hard ships Black Americans faced. She would suggest or say we need to support each other in her poems and statements. Now I see she is suggesting that Hillary represents standing on the shoulders of African Americans who came before us? I FEEL AS THOUGH I"VE BEEN SPIT IN THE FACE BY OUR SO-CALLED BLACK LEADERS ESPECIALLY MS. ANGELOU. I as a black person should look up to Hillary Clinton as the continuation of the African American struggle. A woman who is the senator of my state who has only visited Brooklyn once where the AIDS rate for African American women is one of the highest in the country. Yet Mrs. Clinton clearly pandered to African Americans at the Tavis Smiley debate sayinging some crap about "If a white women had AIDS there would be a cure..." Black people especially black women need to wake up! Clinton DOES NOT HAVE OUR INTEREST IN MIND. SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE DECENCY TO ADRESS THE AIDS ISUE IN HER OWN STATE AMONG THE VERY PEOPLE SHE WANTS TO VOTE FOR HER...YOUNG BLACK WOMEN! Black women need to get off of this need to hate Obama because Hillary is a woman. News flash not all black men are bad and yes Oprah made it on her own but she knows to have a good quality of life we ALL MUST RESPECT EACH OTHER! Sisters I appeal to you give Obama and and the future of black families a chance! Him, his wife and his children are a shinning example of what we as a race can shoot for. Please don't let your anger at a few knuckle heads spoil a potential blessings our people! Sorry to rant and I mean no offense to anyone. Thanks

December 10, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. Fair,Washington DC

I think Barack has already done the damage with his arrogance. He didn't put the democratic party first, we had a chance to go in witha juggernaut candidate and instead of him supporting the candidate that the majority of the party was behind and waiting he decided he would disrupt a strong base(african americans) and go for his, thats whats telling about Barack to me. The backlash is the perception that if Obama "hijacks" this nomination from Hillary that the party is going to jump behind him and support him. Thats the ideal situation and the way it should work, but I'm gonna say that Hillary has a lot of supporters who are not gonna be to forgiving to Obama and I think in the general where he's going to need every vote he may not get it. Not saying they will vote Republican , but I could see people just not voting at all. The problem is the way Obama came in to this and I am who believes he can possibly win the primary, but will be over matched in the general. It kills me that people think that whoever the Dems put in is a lock to win the presidency, cleary people who didn't watch GW win re-election when he had nothing positive going for him, I hate giving Repubs props, but if there is one thing they are good at is campaigning, yes its through half truths, innuendos, attacks, but unfortunately that stuff works and if Obama wins the primary he's in for a long rough ride and we'll quickly see that facade of Obama magically pulling Dems and Repubs together and everybody just falling under his spell for what it is..a fairytale.

December 10, 2007 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |