Watch Bill Schneider's report about what voters think is the most important issue.
(CNN) - For the first time in more than four years, a majority of Americans believe the country is in a recession, according to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Tuesday. Twenty-nine percent of the poll's respondents also said the economy was the top issue for them in the 2008 election.
Watch Bill Schneider's report about the poll and the political implications of the economy in the 2008 presidential race.
BILL WILL YOU POST A POOL HOW OBAMA WOULD FAIR WITH THE REPUBLIC NOMINEE IN THE GENRAL ELECTIONS NO MATTER WHO it is. thank you, I THINK THE MEDIA IS GAVING OBAMA TOO MUCH COVEREAGE.
Hey here's an idea. Lets elect an ecoomics genius to be president. A guy who finished in the top 5% at Harvard while he was enrolled in a duel Business/Law program.
Mitt 2008-If anyone can get us out of this mess, he can!
If you want someone who really understands the economy and what we're up against, look into the one guy running for President that studied economic theory and monetary policy for thirty years and regularly takes on Bernanke face-to-face in Washington D.C.:
Nobody else has even an inkling the experience he does. McCain admitted in an early debate he has no clue about how to handle the economy (deferring instead to unnamed 'experts'). Huckabee talks "FairTax" but fails to understand that it actually increases taxes on the poor in even the most simple, everyday scenarios. Romney wants to run this country like Enron, and Giuliani just looks out for whatever benefits him most.
Want experience? Go to the source who's been there and does it every day: Ron Paul.
The economy? No way! I always thought that the media topped the list of major concerns. The media always know what is wrong and who is wrong and how voters should vote. I say that we make accommodation for the media to run for President, seeing they know everything. Geesh! There was a time when the terrorists tried to influence elections, but the American media have shamelesly outdone the terrorists.
What majority Cnn ? show us the numbers on the recession. are they the same 29 percent who think the economy is top on the poll ? excuse me but that leaves 71 percent of Americans feeling other things are more important or mabey just maybe you could read this poll as 71 percent of Americans dont believe we are in recession considering the usual tell tale signs are not acompanying recession at this point. I just read a report that employment is strong and in fact up. I filled up with gas last nite and it was under $3.00 a gallon for the first time in awhile. feds are cutting the rate again , home owners who bought out of there ability to afford are getting some help, lenders learned a big lesson about not selling so many sub intrest loans. people will out buy previous years records as they always do at christmas. What recession ?
Well...........wouldn't we have a stronger economy if we hadn't spent a cudzillion dollars on Bush's stupid war.
It is little wonder that Iraq has been replaced by the economy as the publics main concern. The media has all but quit covering the war buying into the myth of the "surge" success. The economy and Iraq are one and the same , the billions wasted on tis immoral and illegal war of choice is leading to the economic problems. The military families in this country have had to bear the weight of this political miscalculation and these same families must now suffer the additonal burdens of an economic downturn. Let your representatives know to end this war now and the resources being expended will begin to revitalize our nations fiscal and moral health.
When the going got tough with the War in Iraq, the Democrats were ready to sell our nation (and our brave troops) down the river via demanding an immediate troop withdrawal.
The negative consequences to our nation and Western Civilization of such action would have been horrific; to surrender to bloodthirsty, intolerant murderers would have haunted America and it's allies for generations.
Nevertheless, President Bush listened to our military leaders and proceeded with the troop surge, although the Democrats fought tooth and nail to PREVENT it.
Thank God, the surge is working; violence in Iraq is down, and Iraq is on it's way to becoming a peaceful member of the world community.
However, now Democrats and the liberal media want to "turn the page" if you will, and ignore Iraq now that events are going in America's favor.
The hypocrisy of Democrats and the liberal media is staggering and maddening.
With a 3.9% GDP growth last quarter and no Americans soldiers being blown up on TV daily, the dems are in trouble..
hey don,t worry about the economy just vote republican just look at the republicans record another republican would bring a strong economy for rich Billionairs you were talking about rich billionairs wasn't you?
With upwards of 80% of the public believing that we are either in a recession or heading into one, with Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers predicting a 2008 recession, with consumer confidence plunging, with retail sales staggering through the vital 2007 holiday season, with analysts believeing that the mortgage/credit crisis will only deepen...its naive to think that the latest GDP figures inspire a great deal of confidence in the status quo.
The Dems won in '92 (thanks to James Carville and his "Its the economy, stupid" mantra). They'll do it again.
The majority of Americans believe we are in a recession and yet only 29% put the economy as the number 1 issue?
Hmmmmm, where does Opinion Research/InfoUSA get these names?? Oh wait...
A recession is a decline in the gross domestic product for two or more successive quarters of a year.
So thankfully.., 57% of America doesn't vote and CNN's polls that include them are worthless..
"The Federal Reserve announced Wednesday it is coordinating with other central banks to deal with the global credit crunch.
The central bank said it had reached an agreement with the European Central Bank as well as the Bank of England, the Bank of Canada and the Swiss National Bank to address what it termed "elevated pressures" in credit markets."
D'oh!!, those pesky businessmen just won't leave a good thing alone..
The "Freedom of Speech" Police at CNN deleted my comment, but here it is again:
We can thank this awesome administration for the mess we all face. (excluding the billionaires of course). People feel the pressure, stress and negativity daily and no polls or predictions are going to sway voters. Our next president will be a Democrat to fix the problems and once we're back on track, people will forget and start voting for a candidate who is against gays or abortion or some other reasons that does not affect general population as a whole. With that being said, another republican will take office and screw things up again and the cycle will continue. Can you see the pattern here?
For all of you reading CNN for your business news, please see below..
"A burst in exports was a key contributor to the biggest increase in economic activity in 1½ years in the third quarter of 2007 as a declining dollar made U.S. goods cheaper in the world marketplace and U.S. firms cashed in on a strong global economy.
Exports rose 16.2% in the third quarter, more than double the rate of increase in the second quarter and the biggest gain in nearly four years.
Exports of goods rose at the fastest pace in more than a decade with sales of services abroad also showing gains."
Thank god we are finally getting our heads together. The economy has been tanking for years now. Dems need to go back to the issues they own.
"With a 3.9% GDP growth last quarter"
Posted By RightyTighty :
Yeh, and who does this help???? Only
the 1% at the top....for the other 99%
it doesn't mean squat...either you're in the top 1%...or you have no idea what your're talking about....
Where's global warming? Wake up America!
It's the economy!
S & P 500
THANK YOU BOOKWORM for pointing out the increase in exports (due to a weak US dollar).
I can't believe we haven't heard from the liberal econ geniuses that want to cry how TERRIBLE a weak US dollar is for our economy!!
No, let's not use facts... let's just all sit around and express how we FEEL about the economy (positive growth) ... how horrible the war in Iraq is going (surge has been working)... or how awful global warming is (scientist have discovered Mars temperatures rising the same levels as Earth... martian emmissions?)
Take it for what it's worth, but I believe that Americans are more concerned with the economy problem due to the fact that no one, including our own Congress, can do anything about the Bush regime and the goals they will reach no matter what. This poll makes perfect sense to me. The Bush administration has clouded capitol hill with precision yet again, and at just the right time. At least they are consistent...............
I do not know there is a question implying that Iraq is separate from the economy. Think how the money being spent in Iraq is impacting the economy in this country. The money spent in Iraq could provide health care, improved infrastructure, etc. When I think how much money has been given to independent contractors I get really angry. Does anyone think that money will not wind up in off shore accounts?
This would be a great discussion for Lou Dobbs.
IRAQ IS THE ECONOMY