December 12th, 2007

CNN N.H. Poll: Obama, Clinton tied; Romney remains strong

Sen. Obama has made up ground against Sen. Clinton in New Hampshire, according to a CNN/WMUR poll released Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama has chipped away at Hillary Clinton’s lead in New Hampshire, and the two Democratic presidential hopefuls are now locked in a statistical tie less than one month before the first-in-the-nation primary, a CNN/WMUR Poll released Wednesday shows.

Clinton has dropped 5 percentage points since the CNN/WMUR November survey, while Obama has gained 8 percentage points, according to the poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center. Clinton is now at 31 percent to Obama’s 30 percent.

In the Republican contest, the new poll also reveals that despite Mike Huckabee’s meteoric rise in some Iowa and national surveys, he has yet to catch fire in New Hampshire. Huckabee remains in single digits at 9 percent, up 4 percentage points from November. But he still trails Mitt Romney by 23 percentage points.

Romney remains in the lead with 32 percent of the vote, followed by Rudy Giuliani and John McCain who are tied with 19 percent.

Despite Romney’s double-digit edge over his nearest competitors, and the seemingly two-way battle between Clinton and Obama on the Democratic side, the Granite State contests are far from over.

“This race is not over by a long shot,” said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “Forty-three percent of Democratic primary voters, and a whopping 55 percent of GOP voters, say they are still trying to make up their minds.”

Full story

–CNN Political Editor Mark Preston

1. Christian, Tampa FL

Whoever becomes the Democratic nominee, let all of us who are against the war, against Bush's UNcompassionate conservatism, against torture, against destroying the environment, against domestic spying, and against executive corruption unite behind the candidate and force their victory in November. Once the nominations are done, let's stop squabbling and stop the GOP from keeping the White House. They've had enough for one decade (or two or three).

December 12, 2007 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  2. JB Boston MA

Hey Tom from NM-

You continually use a latin phrase to convey an inevitability of Hillary Clinton winning. Now I am not a linguist and don't speak latin fluently, so I forgot. But I do recall you using it ad naseum (oh, look at me). Very curious to learn your opinions on the fall from grace your candidate is experiencing.

I do know one phrase in latin:

In vino veritas

My wine is telling me it's time for you to find a new candidate!

: )

December 12, 2007 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. trent porter, tx

Dear God:

Please protect us from hilary clinton the corporate elitist. Please don't let our nation be ran by Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton. Please save us.

December 12, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  4. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

So many love to suggest that Obama is unelectable in the general election because America is "not ready" for a black president. Read: that America is "still too racist". I realize that racism is still a LARGE problem and I may be naive, but I have more faith in America than that.

Obama is a refreshing, inspiring candidate. and Hillary is...well...the same old, same old. We've seen where "experienced" politicians have gotten us (Bush and Cheney). We need change and we need it now. An intelligent, charismatic leader to restore our foundation domestically and bring back the worldwide respect that the Bush administration has absolutely obliterated.

I have never been into politics, but I truly believe in this man, and in the ability of Americans to elect such an exceptional individual to lead our country. GO OBAMA

December 12, 2007 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. Pete, Knoxville, TN

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Hillary.

December 12, 2007 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. AJ, IL

As much as I like to see Obama ahead in the polls, polls are quick and very small snapshots into the political landscape.

I've seen the obamatruth website and quite frankly, is that it? That's all unknown crap that someone could muster to publish? You will find equally if not more damaging stuff on Edwards. Least not forget Hillary and the Clinton name, it comes with pros and cons. If I put out a Hillarythetruth website, it would be 10 times as large with a whole slew of negative crap about Hillary and Bill.

December 12, 2007 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Bea, Hoboken, NJ

Yes, let's all jump in the Oprabama bandwagon and nominate the guy with the least national experience of all 15 people running for president!!!

Talk about the "audacity of hope".....

Disgusting!!!!

December 12, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  8. Alex, Winter Springs FL

I see the Clinton/Obama race shaping up somewhat like Bush vs. McCain in 2000. Obama will win a crucial early primary or two, then the Clinton camp will pull out all the stops to utterly smear him.

Expect anonymous calls in South Carolina saying he is a closet Muslim, just as Bush's people said in 2000 that McCain fathered a Black child out of wedlock (when in reality he adopted a Bangledeshi orphan, Bridget)

As for the Republican side, Huckabee is going to win Iowa, and I believe that McCain will surprise everyone and win New Hampshire, though certainly not by his 2000 margin.

December 12, 2007 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

Hillary Rodham Clinton is destined to become our next President of the United States, certainly an improvement over WHAT we have "in office" now! God Speed 2008!

December 12, 2007 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. AJ, IL

Posted By Bea, Hoboken, NJ :

Bea for reference below are the years of elected public office held by the 2008 Democratic presidential candidates:

Biden 34
    Dodd 33
    Richardson 25
    Kucinich 15
    Obama 11
    Clinton 7
    Edwards 6

Sorry I don't count years as First Lady as public office experience.

December 12, 2007 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. RD

Has anyone even noticed that Hillary and Obama are the least qualified canidates of both party's. Hillary has only been a senator elected in 2000. Not much accomplished. Worst senate on record 22% approval rating. Would not have been elected if she had not been known as First Lady had to move to NY to be elected Arkansas would not give her a chance. Obama needs to run for Governor of Illinois if he can win there. Go Biden and Richardson.

December 12, 2007 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. Linda Pacifica CA

I like Obama as a running mate, but he's not strong enough to lead America (yet)...he has potential, but not the experience necessary. The next President is going to have a mess to clean up that will take decades. Hillary is the best hope America has in leading us to recovery.

December 12, 2007 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. Makeba, Houston TX

What about the "firewall"?
    Hahahaha!

December 12, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. David, Dallas Tx

Various people have used “Oprabama”, “Billary” and other "Ooh, look, I can make fun of this candidate's name, won't THAT be clever?" tactics.

Maybe you think we should elect the candidate with the name most difficult to make fun of, but most of us can think of better criteria.

It doesn’t really matter if you’re poking fun at the guy I support or not; such asinine word-plays mark you as someone too dumb to author a meaningful post. You’re very dismissible.

By all means don't stop on my account. I just thought you should know. ;)

December 12, 2007 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. Scott, Royal Oak, MI

hmm David from Dallas, TX, I don't think a nickname like "Billary" is designed to "make fun of the candidate's name". It's not really insulting the name Hillary in itself, but more geared toward mocking/illustrating the fact that Hillary is seeking the Democratic nomination based almost exclusively on her "work" done as first lady next to her husband Bill.

I could see if you were poking fun at the idiots who say things like Osama Obama or whatever, which is completely insulting and meaningless. However, your examples do not support your argument, and your post, is therefore "very dismissible".

December 12, 2007 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. Jessica M., El Paso, TX

I am sick of the MSM only reporting the bad news for Clinton and NEVER the good news!!!!

A Suffolk/WHDH poll just came out and it shows Clinton ahead by 7 points in NH

December 12, 2007 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  17. Tevin, Raleigh NC

Since Hill is running behind her Washington "experience" or Bill's, I wish someoned would lay out for me what she's accomplished! And since when is Washington experience the best experience? Washington experience doesn't get anything done! I'm more interested in life experience. That's what shapes your ideas and views. Hill is divisive and represents the status quo. Obama is change. His background helping common Americans has better prepared him for now. He's shown his judgement to be unmatched and that's what we need! We don't need division or another President who's sold him/herself to corporate America. How can you change something that you enhance? We don't need to go back to the '90's. The circumstances are much different now. We need a unifier and I know that's not Hillary!

December 12, 2007 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. Kathy, Andover, KS

I thought I read, not that long ago, that Oprah was going to have a negative effect on Obama's campaign . . . does this mean New Hampshire likes Oprah?

December 12, 2007 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Hannah, Lexington, KY

Sounds to me like someone is scared!!! I seriously don't know why the candidates are throwing away their money! 4 million dollars on ads?! How about donating that money to cancer research, homeless shelters, or heck even animal shelters!! How about Katrina victims or California fire victims? If I heard about a candidate actually donating their money to help someone OTHER than themselves, why that would definitely buy my vote!! But then I wouldn't get to see your face on the TV for that split second right before I switch the channel to find out what else is on....

December 12, 2007 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. slinkymalinky

Hillary's campaign is struggling with perceptions that she is devious, calculating and a divisive figure according to recent democrat focus groups in Philadelphia — almost all of whom said they would vote for her in a general election. Group members said things of Hillary like — "I don't feel like I look at her and see someone who's telling me the whole truth." and "She is walking a fine tightrope now, because she is such a divisive personality."

Meanwhile, Barack Obama was perceived as inspirational, motivating, charismatic and compassionate.

December 12, 2007 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  21. Fred, Walnut Creek, CA

The more people learn about (and see) Hilllary, the MORE THEY DISLIKE HER (and Bill is making it even worse).

SHE IS NOT CAPABLE OF BEING PRESIDENT AND BEING MARRIED TO A FORMER PRESIDENT (if you call what they have a marriage) makes her NO MORE QUALIFIED.

She can go as negative in the ads as she wants but it will only enforce what a real "witch" she is.

December 12, 2007 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  22. vking Phoenix, AZ

Just visited the link someone posted regarding truth-out Obama. REALLLY reaching on that one... Flawed logic and huge 'assumed' quantum leaps take you from "Obama speaks out against insurance and healthcare" to "He hasn't done anything about "his" hospital.(meaning: the hospital which employs his wife). The whole thing reeks of desperation.

December 12, 2007 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. MJL Redondo Beach, CA

Its funny how all the polls show Oprahbama and Clinton in a "dead heat". JOHN EDWARDS IS TIED in this dead heat but the media refuses to acknowledge it. Why??, because the media wants to shove Obama and Hillary down our throat. I am sick of it.
    By the way, this isn't(and shouldn't be) a Hollywood production. Any American with brains in their head, (and uses them).. knows that John Edwards is the only one who is running for president the way it SHOULD BE DONE. On Jan 3, both of these jack***es won't know what hit them.

December 12, 2007 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. Josh Gizzarelli, South Orange, New Jersey

How about the people of New Hampshire live up to their motto of "Life free or die" and vote for the champion of the Constitution "RON PAUL" Visit and learn more about Ron Paul at ronpaul2008.com

December 12, 2007 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |