December 17th, 2007

Romney: 'I have emotions just like anyone else'

Romney got emotional at a campaign stop Monday.

LONDONDERRY, New Hampshire (CNN) - Republican Mitt Romney got emotional at a New Hampshire campaign stop Monday, a day after the former Massachusetts governor choked up on NBC's Meet the Press.

Romney was relaying a story - one he tells often on the stump - about watching a soldier return home in a casket at Boston's Logan airport while he was governor.

"The soldiers that I was with stood at attention and saluted," Romney told the crowd. "And I put my hand on my heart, and tears begin to well in your eyes, as you can imagine in a circumstance like that. I have five boys of my own. I imagined what it would be like to lose a son in a situation like that," said the former Massachusetts governor, whose voice quivered noticeably.

"As I looked up there, every single hand was on every heart, and I recognized this is a nation that comes together and respects and reveres those who serve this great nation, and who joins in mourning when one of them is lost," Romney continued.

Romney's emotional display comes just one day after an appearance on "Meet the Press," during which the presidential hopeful was again visibly misty while discussing the 1978 decision of the Mormon Church to extend blacks full rights.

In the interview, Romney said, "I pulled over and literally wept, even to this day it's emotional. And so it's very deep and fundamental in my life and my most core beliefs that all people are children of God."

When asked about his recent emotional displays, Romney told reporters, "I'm a normal person. I have emotions just like anyone else and I'm not ashamed of that at all."

– CNN New Hampshire Producer Sareena Dalla

Filed under: Mitt Romney • New Hampshire
  1. ken, worcester, ma

Romney choking up on MTP, he should be in Hollywood, what an act. When he was Gov. of Mass he could care less for the poor. He passed health care for all. Ya all that could afford it. It's been a disaster and will eventually be abolished. He made the rich richer and the poor poorer in his stop over in Ma on his way to his goal of being Presiden. The biggest flip flopper I've ever seen.

Who is this man running for President they call Romney? He sure isn't the same man that was Governor of Ma. The only thing that hasn't changed since then is the hair on his head, every other thing about him has totally changed since he was elected.

Do what ever yopu have to and say what ever is needed as long as you get elected, that's Mitt's platform.

December 18, 2007 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  2. Jud Carroll, Adrian, MI

Funny isn't it, some with 1 or 2 sons have 1 or 2 in one of the armed forces, he has 5 and I understand, not 1 has seen fit to defend this country. Amzing isn't it. I'm from Michigan and I REMEMBER his father and if he is anything like his father, I wouldn't vote for him for dog catcher.

December 18, 2007 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  3. Steve, NY

Smokey Robinson said it best..........."Tears of a Clown"

December 18, 2007 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  4. Joseph, Grand Rapids, MI

Romney is the real deal here. I think it is normal to get emotional when discussing our troops, and all they give to allow us to remain free. As a way of reminder, Mitt Romney watched his father march with Martin Luther King, and why wouldn't it be something that would get him emotional? The comments on this blog are so typical of the type of American that things there are no sincere people anymore. Mitt Romney is a man of character and strength, and when he wins IA, NH, MI perhaps than the rest of you nut jobs will truly have something to cry about. News flash, just because someone cries does not equal a new political move. Some people are sincere, and Mitt Romney is one of those people.

December 18, 2007 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. AJ, IL

To usually cry on demand requires tapping into a sad place mentally. Mitt, reminds himself of how his polls number went south after Huckabee's surge, and this brings him to tears.

Sorry Mitt you didn't cry early on when the death toll was at its highest. Now two weeks before the Iowa caucauses you and Hillary start the "boo-hoo" campaign? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

December 18, 2007 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. Z, St. Louis, MO.

He's as cheesy and phoney as a used car salesman.All he needs is a lot full of used Hyundai's and plaid polyester suit..Not that Hillary's boo-hooing in Iowa was any better yesterday! And she has pleanty of polyester pantsuits! So help me if i see John McCain or John Edwards start balling at a rally i'll start packing for Costa Rica immediately!My vote is
    for NONE OF THE ABOVE!

December 18, 2007 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  7. Tom - Dedham, Mass

"Tear" Huckleberry a new one Mitt.

That phony Conservative will be discovered for the charlatan that he is once people look at his number of pardons for MURDERERS and tax after tax after tax.

The difference here between he and Clinton is that her staff admits they are doing stops and websites with these "softer" themes to MAKE her look human.

After meeting the "Mittster" while he was running for Governor and campaigning for him, he does come off as way too clean cut and polished, but in a smaller setting he is just a decent guy who should be judged on his words and actions and not his buttoned down appearance.

Since when did it become bad to love your wife and not cheat on her, raise good children and become successful and not drink, smoke or do drugs?

December 18, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  8. Cindy, Austin TX

Perhaps he should be crying about the fact that he's a devoted follower of a religion that took until 1978 to disavow the mark of Cain doctrine.

December 18, 2007 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  9. ME / USA

The thought of Romney being President makes me want to cry. He panders to the worse America has to offer instead of inspiring the best.

December 18, 2007 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. PW Va

Now this is a new tactic for the candidates: sobbing your way into the Oval Office. How trite!!!

December 18, 2007 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. Tom - Dedham, Mass

Posted By RB, from the bay state :

Posted By penguinn, Edmonds WA :

Posted By Justin, New York : December

Posted By Anom cal : December 18, 2007

Since NONE of you stated it, I imagine the closest any of you got to putting on a uniform was McDonalds.

I proudly VOLUNTEERED and HONORABLY SERVED, unlike Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton, does that mean I can become President?

What's your point?

December 18, 2007 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. JD, Syracuse, NY

The way romney attacked his rivals, I dont think that he has emotions.

December 18, 2007 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. Savea, Houston, Texas

It's funny how many people have different opinions of why Mitt cried. Let's not make stupid judgements because none of us know for sure. All we know is that he cried because a soldier is dead. And why are we judging him because his sons didn't serve in the military? So you're not a good person because you don't serve?

Huckabee is on a roll because of the evangelists, their ignorance and bigotry. Learn what he did as a governor of Arkansas. That ride will slow down somewhere because we want a leader with experience not a guy who's using Christ for his own political end.

December 19, 2007 03:54 am at 3:54 am |