December 18th, 2007

Bill Clinton: George H.W. Bush will help President Hillary

Bill Clinton said former president George H.W. Bush will help fix damage done to America's reputation by his son, George W. Bush.

ORANGEBURG, South Carolina (CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton said Monday that the first thing his wife Hillary will do when she reaches the White House is dispatch him and his predecessor, President George H.W. Bush, on an around-the-world mission to repair the damage done to America's reputation by the current president - Bush's son, George W. Bush.

"Well, the first thing she intends to do, because you can do this without passing a bill, the first thing she intends to do is to send me and former President Bush and a number of other people around the world to tell them that America is open for business and cooperation again," Clinton said in response to a question from a supporter about what his wife's "number one priority" would be as president.

A spokesman for the George H. W. Bush said Tuesday afternoon the former president supports his son's foreign policy and has "never discussed an ‘around-the-world-mission’ with either former President Bill Clinton or Sen. Clinton." (Click here for the full statement)

Clinton and the elder Bush, rivals in the 1992 presidential election, have grown chummy in recent years, often traveling and appearing at public events together. In 2005, they started a charity to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

UPDATE: The Republican National Committee issued this statement in response to Clinton's comments:

"In 2009, a Republican president will be working with our friends and allies abroad to continue to keep our nation safe," said RNC spokesman Danny Diaz. "The American people expect our leaders - both current and former - to present serious solutions to the very real challenges confronting our nation."

– CNN South Carolina Producer Peter Hamby

1. Bubba Stepsinit

There he goes again. The compulsive liar just makes it up as he goes along. It is absurd that 41 would agree with 42 to the detriment of 43 but nothing has ever prevented 42 from making up any whopper at any time.

December 18, 2007 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. SMurphy, Shark River Hills, NJ

Hmmmmm. Bill telling another boldface lie. I could tell because his lips were moving. That's all I have to say about that.

December 18, 2007 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  3. Chad, Fairhope, AL

At this rate I guess Jeb Bush will be Hillary's VP pick...geez.

America has had enough of the Bushes and they've certainly had enough of the Clintons.

Huckabee '08 Baby!!!

December 18, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Kevin, Dallas, TX

Wait.....you mean Bill Clinton lied about something that someone else said? I don't get it. He and his wife are so honest and forthwright (dripping with sarcasm).

December 18, 2007 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Rick, Philadelphia, PA

Jack from Chicago,
    I think you watch a little too much Glen Beck. If you want to stop radical Islamicfascism, then we need to repair our country's reputation with the rest of the world. I think it would have been a great idea for them to travel abroad. It would have shown unity. Something this country has been missing for about 8 years now!

December 18, 2007 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  6. Sarah West - Kansas City, MO

C'mon America, vote for Hillary in '08 and then Jeb in '16!

December 18, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. yoli, New Jersey

This is unreal, now I say Go, Go Obama, we realy need a change, tired of the Bush's and Clinton's, enough is enough.

December 18, 2007 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  8. Elaine, San Ramon, CA

What friends and allies?

December 18, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Woodie

I doubt if Bush Sr will clean up Bush Jr's messes. The conservative's have been out of control for quite a long time. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was refusing to support congress's effort to set a timeline to pull out of Iraq and refusing to fund children's health care. GOP is not even American anymore. They seem to have a foreign agenda.

December 18, 2007 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. deborah, trenton, NJ

This made me throw up in my mouth a lil bit. I mean, serioulsy, what the hell-o is Bubba thinking?

A) Elder Bush would agree to no such thing.

B) In the Bizarro universe where Elder Bush WOULD agree to such a thing, why exactly would anyone in the Clinton campaign THINK that Elder Bush has the credibility to wander around the middle east or elsewhere "fixing" anything? Here's an idea, team up with Jimmy Carter too and you will have the three former presidents most responsible for the mess in the middle east due to their own foreign policy impotence "correcting" the "problem created by the current President."

Bubbleheads, ALL of them.

December 18, 2007 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  11. Darwin York Pa

Just another lie for the Clinton News Network to broadcast to the millions of followers who refuse to think on their own. Bush senior never said this he put out a statement this afternoon. Just another lie from Clinton Inc.

December 18, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  12. flo jones, san diego, ca usa

I heard on the news that GW Bush did NOT say he would work with bill clinton to restore America's image, in fact, he's very proud of the work President Bush has done! Bill clinton lied again. That guy is crazy. He knows not everyone will hear that Bush senior is not going along with his plan. What a liar clinton is!

December 18, 2007 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  13. Robyn, Denver, CO

The Bush supporters hate the Clinton supporters, but have you noticed that Bush and Clinton don't hate each other ? They just use the media to divide the populace, then rule as an oligarchy. They all need to go !

December 18, 2007 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  14. Matt Sager PA

Clinton is not half the man that GH Bush is. This president initiated his life as a fighter pilot champion in World War II.

His honor be will be evident on the world stage when he responds by defending his son. Whereas, it will reveal Bill Clinton's true self: white trash.

December 18, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  15. IcemanSC Columbia, SC

Here is the solution in 2 words.

Ron Paul

Blessings

December 18, 2007 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. RIch, Merrimack, NH

Knowing that this article and my response to it is hosted by CNN, my comments are likely not to be posted, however, here goes.....

The Clintons are the most politically, morally, and ethically corrupt duo in American history. Bozo Bill has lost his mind! He makes these "sound bites" in the hope that they will be misconstrued as truths. The man is incapable of telling the truth.

I have no like for any of the Democratic candidates whatsoever – and not because they're Democrats. They're all representative of what's wrong – and would become dangerous in their hands – with American politics.

FDor the record, if a Democrat DID have to become President, I would prefer any single one of them over Hillary Clinton. In my opinion, she is a socialist (at the very least) and a Communist, in the most likely case.

She represents the worst disaster that could ever hit America during these times. Anyone would be a better alternative to her. Yes.... even the Huckster.

December 18, 2007 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Dave, Morgantown, WV

Let me get this straight...Bring in a Clinton to restore America's reputation and bring in a Republican to restore the Clinton's reputation.

December 18, 2007 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Nick, New York, NY

I voted for Bush Jr., and honestly, I don't think Hillary would even make a bad president, other than the fact that it is becoming a dynasty. We desperately need new blood in the white house, this isn't what our system is supposed to be.

December 18, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. Ricardo Gonzalez, Madison, Wisconsin

What did Bill Clinton inhale to say that former President G.H.W. Bush would go along with a "mission" requested by a future President Hillary? He should have known #41 would deny such a proposal, making #42 look silly, while scoring one for #43!

December 18, 2007 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Jerry Bolduc Lake Luzerne, NY

The guy who barfed all over the Japanese Prime Minister and the guy who made the whole world belly laugh with his cigar tricks, are gonna clean up the crimes of the current "commander"-in-chief (the one who went AWOL) and his war-mongering buddy (the guy who got FIVE DEFERMENTS to avoid military service)? Stand back...I always barf when I get belly laughing this hard!

December 18, 2007 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. JCervantez, San Francisco, CA

I cannot believe this... So the "old man" is going to admit to the world that his son is a screw up. Is supposed to magically make things all better? Why isn't our Secretary of State already working on our credibility rather than getting in her world traveling on the taxpayers expense? Why on earth would the Clinton's want to be a part of this? Oh my head hurts... I have to lay down now...

December 18, 2007 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. TG

A respected Priest was on his dying bed and ask for Bill and Hillary to be on either of his bed when he died. They came and Bill says, Father, we are honored to do this by tell us the reason why... Father says; I want to die just like Jesus with two thieves on either side.

December 18, 2007 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. Tim, Seattle

I can't wait to move to New Zealand
    Posted By Mack M, Anaheim, CA : December 18, 2007 11:00 am

We cant wait either...see ya!

December 18, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  24. Nick Waco, TX

So many "nut jobs" are right: Republicans and Democrats are the EXACT same thing.

I sure hope we don't get a woman, regardless of elephant or donkey.

December 18, 2007 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. Todd

I am so sick and tired of BOTH the Bush and Clinton families! I am reminded of how both bush and kerry were both skull and bones members. Bill joined the masons when he was 15. America needs someone LOYAL to AMERICA, NOT secret societies.

December 18, 2007 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |