December 18th, 2007

Huckabee's gamble

Bill Schneider takes a look at Huckabee's gamble.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican Mike Huckabee caused a stir last week when he publicly criticized the Bush administration's approach to foreign policy. Bill Schneider takes a look at how that might play with the party's base.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. C., K. Justus

The truth is what counts and Huckabee had the guts to tell the truth. The rest are ignoring the fact they have a failed foreign policy and they do not realize you cannot dictate to the other nations of the world.
    Huckabee's rating with me went up several points. He can admit when things are not right and that takes a man to adnit mistakes and will expound on them and try to correct them.

December 18, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. Angel, Los Angeles of Anaheim

To Bryan Cox:
    Just a reminder, we tried electing one former Arkansas governor and look what happeneed. We are still trying to get rid of them. How do you expect us to trust your opinion of another one?

Obama '08

December 18, 2007 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. JB Oakland

The Bible tells us not to "speak evil of the leader of our country". I am sure Mike must have read that during seminary.(Acts 23:5)

Posted By M.E.Adams Wasilla, Alaska : December 18, 2007 11:24 am

You are aware that the Bible has been translated many times with the translated editions having to have the King's approval. Hmmm, wonder why there is a verse to obey the leader???

December 18, 2007 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Angel, Los Angeles of Anaheim

to Bryan Cox:
    We trusted one former Arkansas governor and look where it got us. We still are trying to fight that one off. How can you expect the nation to trust your opinion again so soon afterwards???

December 18, 2007 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. JD, Syracuse, NY

A kettle calling a pot black. Both are ignorant in foreign policies.

December 18, 2007 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Garry Lemons, Benton, Arkansas

Some of you folks are just plain stupid! "We trusted one Arkansas Governor and look where it got us" is one STUPID comment. get over the darn cigar missy! At least Clinton did more for this country than this fool we have in office now! And you wanna talk about trust and lies, look to our current Bozo in the White House, talk about a "trust issue"!
    And you folks haven't lived in a state where the Huckster had his reign.
    You folks better wise up to the Hucks plans..he will take this country down the same path with his devout religious fanatisism. He is against everything EXCEPT what he says.

December 18, 2007 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. Quinn Smith, Louisville, KY

My thoughts on the whole campaign: I believe Hilary will be the democratic nominee and it is my feeling the only way to beat her in the general election is to nominate one of two people: Mitt Romney or Giuliani.

This is my logic: People want great change in America and a clean break from Bush; democrats and republicans alike. If Huckabee is the nominee, Hilary will convince voters that if you think Bush brought too much religion into the white house, then watch out...Huckabee will be worse. He is having success in the "Bible Belt” states but I feel that some of his poor decisions as Gov. will ultimately be his downfall.

Fred Thompson I feel would make a decent VP but he lacks the support and to be frank, the knowledge of crucial issues. He is also too much like Bush.

Ron Paul: Ron Paul who? No, I'm just joking. Paul can sure raise a lot of money in one day...what was it, $6 million? Wow! But his views and some of the policies he wants to introduce are neither pro-democrat nor pro-republican. He is by far the worst debater in the republican race. Hilary would be a shoe-in if Ron Paul was the rep nominee.

John McCain has a lot of experience and has a good consistent record to back it up. His downfall is his lack of organization. He spent something like $36 million during this campaign and not much to show for it. Also, the man tends to be a hot-head. I feel that if nominated, the Hilary team will find a way to hit a nerve and make him explode. He will say something very un-presidential and look stupid.

Giuliani and Romney have the money, support, and organization. Out of Giuliani and Romney, I feel that Romney has the better shot at beating Hilary. The logic behind my theory:

Giuliani has many personal skeletons in his closet. Hilary will find them, exploit them, and make him look unfit and unworthy to run the country. He is tough on crime and terror and I personally think he is running his campaign very savvy by not attacking anyone and playing the "American's Mayor" card. But I feel that his stance on abortion, gay rights, and his scandalous personal life will play a big role with conservatives. Hilary vs. Giuliani would be a very close race and it would be anyone's ballgame. I only hope and pray that Giuliani wins if these two meet.

Romney vs. Hilary on the other hand would make for a very interesting presidential race. The first woman nominee and the first Mormon nominee. Their views differ drastically on almost every issue. All the democrats will vote for Hilary and the same with the republicans voting for Romney. I feel that the presidential debates will be important and will sway enough independents towards Romney because he is the best debater and orator. Hilary is a politician. Romney is a business man/politician/leader. He is charming and likable, presidential and has a history of success. Hilary will probably play the "Mormon" card against Romney, kind of like the "Kindergarten" card she played against Obama. It will only hurt her in the end. In general, I believe that the voters will not judge the nominee on religion but on experience, views on critical matters, and their integrity. The only hope for Hilary is to make Romney out to be a "flip-flopper," and I must admit, he seemed to have changed his views on certain issues. But I'm confident that if given the opportunity to explain himself, the American voting population will understand and sympathize. I see this race being close but not as close as a Hilary vs. Giuliani race. Romney wins by almost double digits.

December 18, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |