December 18th, 2007

Race to '08 audio podcast: Clinton unveils new strategy

Listen to the latest Race to '08 audio podcast.

(CNN) - Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, recently rolled out a new strategy intended to soften her image with voters.

In today's Race to '08 audio podcast, CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley talks with CNN Radio's Dick Uliano about Clinton's new approach and about a new holiday-themed ad GOP presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee is airing in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Listen to Crowley discuss the strategy of going positive in the last couple weeks before votes are cast in the Iowa caucuses.

– CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa • Mike Huckabee • New Hampshire • Race to '08 podcast
  1. David Portland OR

Miss Clinton... are you worried that people might see you for who you are...

Well the sob story you are trying to sell is very transparent. Good luck to you in the coming week's... you are going to need it!!!!

We want real change (not just another puppet who will do anything to win, and do nothing to actually help)

Question???
    Why does it take to full time job's to survive on, when just 3 decades ago you only need one?? (maybe a war on the middle class)
    Ohh and another thing, you claim that you have the most experience but the only thing you tried to accomplish while you husband was Pres. (health care reform) fail miserably?

December 18, 2007 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. J Houston, TX

Anyone else think Candy sounds a little...well...weird.

December 18, 2007 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. Tasha, FL

Posted By David Portland OR : December 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Dave I couldn't agree with you more! Excellent post!!

December 18, 2007 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Quinn Smith, Louisville, KY

My thoughts on the whole campaign: I believe Hilary will be the democratic nominee and it is my feeling the only way to beat her in the general election is to nominate one of two people: Mitt Romney or Giuliani.

This is my logic: People want great change in America and a clean break from Bush; democrats and republicans alike. If Huckabee is the nominee, Hilary will convince voters that if you think Bush brought too much religion into the white house, then watch out...Huckabee will be worse. He is having success in the "Bible Belt” states but I feel that some of his poor decisions as Gov. will ultimately be his downfall.

Fred Thompson I feel would make a decent VP but he lacks the support and to be frank, the knowledge of crucial issues. He is also too much like Bush.

Ron Paul: Ron Paul who? No, I'm just joking. Paul can sure raise a lot of money in one day...what was it, $6 million? Wow! But his views and some of the policies he wants to introduce are neither pro-democrat nor pro-republican. He is by far the worst debater in the republican race. Hilary would be a shoe-in if Ron Paul was the rep nominee.

John McCain has a lot of experience and has a good consistent record to back it up. His downfall is his lack of organization. He spent something like $36 million during this campaign and not much to show for it. Also, the man tends to be a hot-head. I feel that if nominated, the Hilary team will find a way to hit a nerve and make him explode. He will say something very un-presidential and look stupid.

Giuliani and Romney have the money, support, and organization. Out of Giuliani and Romney, I feel that Romney has the better shot at beating Hilary. The logic behind my theory:

Giuliani has many personal skeletons in his closet. Hilary will find them, exploit them, and make him look unfit and unworthy to run the country. He is tough on crime and terror and I personally think he is running his campaign very savvy by not attacking anyone and playing the "American's Mayor" card. But I feel that his stance on abortion, gay rights, and his scandalous personal life will play a big role with conservatives. Hilary vs. Giuliani would be a very close race and it would be anyone's ballgame. I only hope and pray that Giuliani wins if these two meet.

Romney vs. Hilary on the other hand would make for a very interesting presidential race. The first woman nominee and the first Mormon nominee. Their views differ drastically on almost every issue. All the democrats will vote for Hilary and the same with the republicans voting for Romney. I feel that the presidential debates will be important and will sway enough independents towards Romney because he is the best debater and orator. Hilary is a politician. Romney is a business man/politician/leader. He is charming and likable, presidential and has a history of success. Hilary will probably play the "Mormon" card against Romney, kind of like the "Kindergarten" card she played against Obama. It will only hurt her in the end. In general, I believe that the voters will not judge the nominee on religion but on experience, views on critical matters, and their integrity. The only hope for Hilary is to make Romney out to be a "flip-flopper," and I must admit, he seemed to have changed his views on certain issues. But I'm confident that if given the opportunity to explain himself, the American voting population will understand and sympathize. I see this race being close but not as close as a Hilary vs. Giuliani race. Romney wins by almost double digits.

December 18, 2007 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. JimmyC

As the race tightens, Oprah begins to pull women from Hillary's camp she will become more strident and more likely to make a BIG mistake. Her temper is notorious and her willingness to blame "them" for her failures is well documented.

I think somewhere in the not too distant future Hillary will make a major Freudian faux pax and end her campaing and I suspect her one and only chance at the White house.

PS – If you want to trigger that just keep asking her oppennets who they are running agains – Bill or Hillary. Because frankly – many of Hillary's voters are Bill's supports – and we don't want another term of Bill in the White House.

December 18, 2007 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. sally,newton,ma

Anyone else think Candy sounds a little…well…weird.
    Posted By J Houston, TX : December 18, 2007 2:15 pm

I second you. Since I have been watching elections, Candy unshamefully reports to the side that she leans on. I am always skeptical with her reporting....

December 18, 2007 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Mary,NY

The Face Of Things To Come !!! How Can Anyone Think That Hillary Will Be Good For Them When She Does Not Need Them Any More? Core Character Counts !!! How You Treat People Who Have No Influence Should Be Taken Into Account. Ron Paul Is A Better Choice For America. Obama Seems To Be The Only Candidate With Any Skill At Root Cause And Corrective Action Analysis. Research Him Yourself; Don't Take Hear Say As Gospel.

December 18, 2007 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. George,Md

Seems that Frau Clinton learned much after going after Nixon. He'd be proud of her. Someone tell her it is non-traditional race this time!

I am a white male voting for Obama!

December 18, 2007 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. Rob,kansas,mo

I've been a political reporter for more than 40 years, and I'm amazed at the whining by the current generation of scribes re campaign blowback. Piss 'em off and they'll lie in wait. Hey, it's always been this way. You sign on to be a political reporter, so do your job and quit whining. You think readers care?

December 18, 2007 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. david,newton,iowa

Excellent reporting Miss Crowley. But the question I have is Hillary just another political bully like LBJ or Nixon or is there something more threatening and even sinister about this woman? Journalists such as yourself are on the inside and know what's really going on, while regular folks like myself have to scour the web for hints and clues. She used raw FBI files to neuter many of her Republican opponents. Does she use the same sorts of tactics against members of the press? Her comments about drowning journalists and the violent mobster-type language used by her advisors makes me wonder. Bill and Hillary are not at all nice people. Seems to me they both will do whatever it takes to get power. I used to regard Hillary as maybe another Evita, but now I'm beginning to see a bit of Hugo Chavez in her personality, without Hugo's native charm of course.
    peace!

December 18, 2007 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. blake,boston,ma

Maybe the press should allow their access to be cut. Let's see how far her campaign will go without any coverage.

December 18, 2007 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Peter,NH

Geez, Crowley a Democrat hack or what? So she's out there blocking and tackling for the Hill with this puff-piece about how the media might respond to her "dirtball" politics. The jig is up, and everybody (at least with a brain) in the country knows that the Clintons own the media. Anything they want you to do, you will. So how does it feel to be the pawns, someone tell me!

December 18, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  13. Dan FL

Obama is a sicking lying individual? is that the only kind of post you approve CNN? Is any adults reviewing these posts

December 18, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  14. Tom Dedham, Mass

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, recently rolled out a new "strategy" intended to soften her image with voters.

What this is saying is that we are dumb and can be tricked into voting for her based on a "strategy" to get you to think she is something that she really is not.

Wow, this campaign really is imploding.

I wouldn't vote for her for dog catcher, but then she would "just be chasing her own tail".

December 18, 2007 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Anonymous Obama is the One - But he preaches forgiveness2

I see the AnyoneButHillary and the StopHillaryNow dummy drones are working overtime. They are so transparent. They can only spew hatred of Hillary, but don't really have anything thoughtful to say about they're own candidate – Actually I think they've become so absorbed in their hatred that they don't even have time for a candidate of their very own. Theirs is "the mindset that the Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend = What a really bright way to pick someone to vote for President huh? NOT :(

AND what an awful waste of time and energy to allow hatred to drive your life so completely. NOT what Senator Obama is saying. Please go find your own candidate to support – Maybe Ron Paul or some else BUT we're tired of you using Senator Obama for your own vindictive purposes. And attempting to stir the pot between Senator Obama and Hillary. Take your well worn carpet bags and move on. We're on to you.

December 18, 2007 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Queen Smith, Louisville, I respect your humble comment, thank you for your positive thought about Hillary's nomination. Giuliani's political view is limited to 9/11, it is too weak to fight Hillary's experiences and strength. Mormon and Giuliani's family value have the connection, it is a big deal for normal American family. Romney's job description is not fit to Commander-in-chief, Hillary lived in leader's position of Politics for 35 years, she will be under easy sail either Giuliani or Romney at General Election.

December 20, 2007 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  17. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

David, Newton Iowa, have you read Hillary's book, LIVING HISTORY? Answer is no, you should know the person first and judge, if yes, your English must be your third language. I read her four books, 4 times Living History and 8 books about her. I think you have an evil spirit just like Chavez's, I am sorry, it is helpless mental problem.

December 20, 2007 06:51 am at 6:51 am |