December 19th, 2007

Clinton recaptures lead in New Hampshire

Clinton is on top in New Hampshire in a new poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It appears Hillary Clinton has recaptured the lead in New Hampshire, according to a new CNN/WMUR New Hampshire presidential primary poll out Wednesday morning.

After slipping into a virtual tie with Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in last week’s New Hampshire poll, along with several other recent surveys, the New York senator now has a twelve-point lead over Obama in our new poll, 38 percent to 26 percent. Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina is in third place at 14 percent. The remaining Democratic White House hopefuls are all in single digits in our new survey, which was conducted by the University of New Hampshire.

Voters in New Hampshire, home of the nation’s first primary, head to the polls on January 8.

“Nearly all of Clinton's gains come among older voters. She also is ranked higher than Obama on every issue tested, with health care and the economy her strongest suits,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

While Clinton retains a comfortable lead in most national surveys, polls so far show a much closer race between Clinton, Obama and Edwards in Iowa, the first state to vote in the presidential primary process. The Iowa caucuses will be held on January 3.

Full story

1. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

I figured this would happen–they finally scoured around enough to find a poll where Hillary was actually in the lead–BREAKING NEWS–Clinton-style. ALL OF THESE CANDIDATES–DEM/GOP SEEM VAPID AND TIRED–WITH ZERO PASSION AND ZEAL–As for me, I'm voting with my feet and running to the John Edwards booth!!! His actions and my instincts tell me he's the genuine article. I've been waiting for over 30 years for someone to run for President I could count on to truly represent my desires and concerns in Washington. He may not be perfect, none of them are–but he will hit the ground running and perhaps redirect a small working class rebellion to get the attention of our other elected officials–we've had enough!!!

December 19, 2007 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  2. Danielle, New York , NY

Oh Thank God! I was worried there for a while.

HILLARY '08

December 19, 2007 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  3. Seam, Philly PA

These polls are retarded, stupid, pointless, meaningless, and ever changing. You have to be a moron to believe polls.

December 19, 2007 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. PW Va

By hook or by crook, eh, Hillary?

December 19, 2007 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  5. jack, ny, ny

Yes She is back. As sson as she started answering back to Obama he started to tumble.

December 19, 2007 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  6. Kevin Cincinnati Ohio

Hill-a copter? Should be The Hell-a-copter

December 19, 2007 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  7. Max

This has B*** S*** written all over it.

December 19, 2007 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  8. Mary, Beaver, PA

This news probably tickles CNN (Clinton News Network) to death.

December 19, 2007 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  9. Concerned Voter, Chicago

CNN's coverage of the Clinton's is for all practical purposes a campaign contribution. Of the ten stories on their 'Ticker' yesterday six of the stories dealt with the Clintons and in most regards in positive terms. While I don't hold a visceral hatred for Hillary, as some do... I do find her methods to be deplorable and inauthentic at best. Her record is fairly terrible... and she manages to exploit people quite exceptionally. If Edwards and Obama recieved fair coverage from... let alone the sort of bias coverage being afforded to Hillary, they would be miles ahead of her and well on their way to nominations.

December 19, 2007 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  10. Richard, New York NY

Hillary Clinton's campaign is borderline racist. Her decision to bring out Maya Angelou on the same date as Oprah pledged her support to Obama, followed closely by her tagging along Magic Johnson displays a dispicable approach to blackface.
    Then for her to send Bob Kerry out to repeatedly mention 'positives' about Obama's paternal leiniage shows an eagerness for her to attack him on not only his own race but rather his grandmothers beliefs.
    This desperation for power is sickening.
    Anyone who supports Clinton is doing so because they believe in name recognition and inch deep candidates.
    Obama's worj as a community organizer in Chicago speaks volumes about his incredibly abilities.
    He has much more experience than Hillary.
    We need a leader not a power hungry, plotting and corrupt person.
    Obama,Edwards, Biden or Richardson in '08

December 19, 2007 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  11. Randy S. Lawton, OK

I wonder if Hillary is paying attention to polls now. Actually, the most telling stat in that article is that 65% haven't even made up their mind yet.
    Can't wait for the silly little Hillary-lovers to start crowing about this.
    Like it means anything.

December 19, 2007 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  12. teddy orlando fl

Obama 08

Senator Clinton – amaerica does not need someone like you

December 19, 2007 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  13. Jimenez - Texas

We knew it was just a matter of time. No one can honestly take Obama seriously. Clinton 08

December 19, 2007 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  14. Beth & Jeff Chicago, IL - HILLARY IN 2008

WE SUPPORT HILLARY '08 :)

She's the only one who can "roll up her sleeves and clean up the mess" left by the GOP - NOT dreamer boy!!

Or vote Biden or Richardson b/c God save our country if the newbie gets elected – who isn't even wise enough to realize what he DOESN'T KNOW yet; let alone play pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey in the Oval Office –> He clearly could have waited until 2012 or 2016. He's only 47, but he's such a baby that he's demanding to be King now :( Sadly the great Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Senator Obama is certainly NOT!!!! AND Oprah should stick with her own life and hawking her Book Club (which she can't even get right all the time either).

NO MORE having to explain to our children – why it's (NOT) OKAY for the President Of Our Nation to do drugs!!! It's time to take back our country and make America proud again.

JUST SAY NO – TO OBAMA IN 2008 :(

December 19, 2007 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  15. Pitiful State, NH

After all the negative, whining, crying, fake tears and calculating tricks ran by Hillary and Bill??

If New Hampshire is stupid enough to want them in the whitehouse then Americans will get what they deserve.

Then again, they are the ones that sent us John Kerry, another loser that the republicans whipped up on.

The republicans are going to have a field day Hillary.

December 19, 2007 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. quetzalcotal2012 greenwood nebraska

I think its a testiment to the humanity and intellegence of the american people to finally come to their sense over there in new hampshire and put Hillary back on top where she deserves to be...Or it could be something like everyone in new hampshire is drunk at night and when polled since all that anyone hears is clinton clinton clinton the sublimal term of the year clinton maybe thats all they could remember?...Speaking form a place close to my heart, being from the midwest and knowing full well that all anyone does in the winter here is drink all night and make summer babies...I can understand what the people in new hampshire are going through...Also on top of my drinking i watch tv and i know as well how boring it is since the writers strike you cant help but move on past CNN and get sucked in by the Clinton Sub power...So if there as drunk as i am or really i shouldnt say am dont want to admit that im almost ready to go to work..Thats probably what happen, double digits is tough but if you've been boozing all night long i can see it

December 19, 2007 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  17. Bell,NH

Ok CNN, thanx for this trash non news!!

December 19, 2007 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  18. Tom - Dedham, Mass

This "story" was so good we at CNN will post it in the ticker blog and AS OUR MAIN STORY on the home page.

This is the news event of the week, STOP the presses, IGNORE all other polls that say otherwise, the B**** is back.

Pathetic.

December 19, 2007 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  19. BlackAmericanEvangelical

I don't even care anymore. After all the racist and xenophobic attacks against Barack Obama by rival "DEMOCRATS" or shall I say "Dixiecrats", if Hillary is the nominee, I'm voting for Huckabee.

December 19, 2007 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  20. paul,mn

Hillary sticks up for herself but lies.. what amazes me is her supporters can't see what she is actually like and boo the other candidate for confronting her..! blind ****** zombies..

December 19, 2007 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  21. chris,Iowa

just don't understand what people see in Hillary? She is a dividing force. Not what we need. Realistically Edwards or Obama have the best chance. Biden too.....

December 19, 2007 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  22. Grant, Virginia Beach, Virginia

It is quite pathetic that CNN who pride itself on being the most respected news media has given itself in to political propanganda and subtle gangsterism. Each time some bad polling befalls Clinton, CNN is always out there looking for some trumped up polls to show she's back in contention.

How intriguing. But one thing I would like you to know is this when the bubble bust and things go kaput! due to your nefarious actions, then you will learn to let people decide who they want in office.

This is one thing I would like to factor in as you go about your charade. HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON WILL NOT BE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IN 2008! or anytime in the life of this country.

Not that I have anything against the woman but she lost that chance as a result of your attempt to impose her on the electorate. Just like the disaster we are up against now in George Bush.

Mark my words.

December 19, 2007 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  23. Bill W, Coatesville, PA

I'm sick to death of polls and hearing about them. I wish the election would just get here already, this thing has been dragging on way too long. These people have been campaigning since before Bush's second election.

I also wish that either Obama or Edwards would concede and drop out of the race, because all they're going to do is end up splitting the anti-Hillary vote and letting her win. If the Anti-Hillary people could get behind one candidate, I think she's guaranteed to lose. But if they remain divided, we're going to have Hillary – and more of this same garbage we've been dealing with for over 8 years now. I sincerely hope the majority of Americans really aren't "Dumber than a 5th Grader", and are smart enough to see the Clintons for what they really are.

December 19, 2007 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  24. Bob,Derry,H

Well if you really want to get into reality why not discuss the disfunctional nature of our elections in general. The antiquated electoral college and questionable elections of the last few years ala Bush and Dibold. All candidates should have equal funds and media time. From friday Hillary has come back with calculation on the media. This really turned me off. I think I like when I hear every candidate so that I can have a sound judgement what they are talking about. I just don't get it!!

December 19, 2007 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  25. James Charlotte, NC

Yea, I agree with the surrealist.... 1 out of 10 or more polls suggest that probably because Hillary got this HUGE endorsement from a newspaper, she's now unstoppable again. Uh, what about the other nine or so polls that have Obama in the lead still??

December 19, 2007 09:25 am at 9:25 am |