December 19th, 2007

Clinton recaptures lead in New Hampshire

Clinton is on top in New Hampshire in a new poll.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It appears Hillary Clinton has recaptured the lead in New Hampshire, according to a new CNN/WMUR New Hampshire presidential primary poll out Wednesday morning.

After slipping into a virtual tie with Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in last week’s New Hampshire poll, along with several other recent surveys, the New York senator now has a twelve-point lead over Obama in our new poll, 38 percent to 26 percent. Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina is in third place at 14 percent. The remaining Democratic White House hopefuls are all in single digits in our new survey, which was conducted by the University of New Hampshire.

Voters in New Hampshire, home of the nation’s first primary, head to the polls on January 8.

“Nearly all of Clinton's gains come among older voters. She also is ranked higher than Obama on every issue tested, with health care and the economy her strongest suits,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

While Clinton retains a comfortable lead in most national surveys, polls so far show a much closer race between Clinton, Obama and Edwards in Iowa, the first state to vote in the presidential primary process. The Iowa caucuses will be held on January 3.

Full story

1. Ray, Collingswood NJ

The Obama effect if wearing thin. He dosent have what it takes and people are taking notice. He's all smoke and mirrors. Hillary will come out on top.

Hillary 08!

December 19, 2007 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  2. Julius,Newton,Iowa

Any specific instances to point to? Yes, I don't trust democrats or republicans though the last Bush elections seemed especially sketchy...(florida and Ohio) As one of my guts tells me,if there is only one candidate the media is giving more air time than the other,then something is wrong.

December 19, 2007 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  3. Ben,NYC,NY

Surely, Is this all what Americans can get? I am really tired of being told who to vote for. I think this is getting me now.
    Can we just say we are not democratic and dafur is much better!

December 19, 2007 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  4. Liberal Chic

Thank god! Go, Hillary. We just need you to pull through (by hairs, only) in Iowa and you're done!

December 19, 2007 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. thevoter

Media run politics is disgusting..

December 19, 2007 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  6. Cathy,boston,ma

If any of you have every seen government do anything, you know that they are waseful, inefficient, and not good at it. Why would you want healthcare in their hands? You Dem's should go to work at any branch of gov't...be it county, state, federal, you will see how piss poor government runs anything ! Dont vote Hillary. If she gets the nod I am voting huckabee even though I am sure this election is bound to be rigged. There is so much unprofessionism that is telling me this is not how we elect our presidents!

December 19, 2007 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  7. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Again, POLLS are being portrayed as being accurate enough to ascertain any future result. Only the results of the vote can be close enough to tell us who will win. But I'm glad to see the 'popular trend' is now swinging away from the Dreamer and back to the Deceiver! Maybe the Republicans can actually pull this one off?

December 19, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. marquis

It's only because people are realizing that Obama can't win the electoral college in the general election and is thus a wasted vote.

December 19, 2007 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  9. Noedwards, Atlanta, GA

John Edwards and Genuine, surrealist you must be kidding. He is the least progressive of the three. Look at his voting records. I wouldn't vote for that guy. Seems to me Rudy is more progressive than Edwards is.
    Say No to Edwards

December 19, 2007 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. jack, ny, ny

All of sudden Obama supports get a shock.

December 19, 2007 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  11. faith

Hillary, edwards, Giuliany, McCane, etc, etc, are just the same SH... in a different pile!!
    the only hope is Obama!!!
    peace!

December 19, 2007 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Gail,newjersey

Double Talker Hillary Clinton orchestrated Polls again!

December 19, 2007 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  13. Ron, TX

This really isn't near as big a deal as CNN/Clinton is trying to make it out to be... Lots of other polls in New Hampshire recently show it a lot closer. The fact that only 35% of voters have decided who to vote for is indicative of the sillyness of proclaiming "Clinton bounces back"... 7% of New Hampshire didn't randomly decide that they were going to support Clinton...

There's only one poll that's going to matter before New Hampshire, and it's the Iowa caucus.

December 19, 2007 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  14. TB FL

I wonder if she "pays attention" to the polls now?? I hate this lady!!!

December 19, 2007 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  15. Ken,des moines,iowa

Great reporting. Clinton is my second choice. I am hoping Obama passes her up in the polls. I think either would make a good leader, however, I think Obama will bring the type of change America needs right now.

December 19, 2007 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  16. Rita,manchester,newhempshire

Good coverage! I'm glad you mention NH's polls are rising again for hillary but over here we are voting for Obama!!

December 19, 2007 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  17. Tewde, FL

Its OK, Obama is one his way to NH today, after he wins Iowa, he has 5 days starting january 3rd-7th to convince NH that he is a serious candidate then he will win NH, we will pour in alot of money so he can go ahead and win Nevada and then South Carolina is a sure thing after that. Then he has 10 days to work on winning the super-Tuesday states and then he is the democratic nominees. Notice Clintons's gains are among those over 65 years old, those who think they owe Bill Clinton something, watch as Obama steals them away from Clinton in coming days.
    Obama 08

December 19, 2007 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  18. Jon G. Paris, TX

"Voters in New Hampshire, home of the nation’s first primary, head to the polls on January 8"

Isn't Iowa technically first? I don't mean to split hairs, but a primary and a caucus are virtually the same thing. Or do you want it to be first for obvious reasons?

December 19, 2007 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. Brain,boston,ma

With Obama Turning Passive Supporters into True Believers, Hillary has no chance down here in Newhempshire and massachusetts...I commute to both states every week and pals here are in love with Obama...

December 19, 2007 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. Joe, Boston

I get a kick out of you Obama fans who feel he has been hurt by negative campaiging. Look at how Clinton is viewed by the national media; cold, calculating, polarizing, etc., etc.

You thnik Obama had it bad with two weeks of negative comments about him? How about Clinton having to put up with those negative comments throughout this campaign?

Get over yourselves. If he can't take the criticism then he shouldn't be running for the most powerful office in the free world.

Clinton has long endured those criticisms whether rightly so or not and yet she does not blame the media or her Clinton haters, she just goes on with the campaign.

She's a strong woman and I think stronger than Obama would be in the White House.

December 19, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  21. Pete,Nevada

If anything I think this will make people less likely to vote for her. With all this Media unfair coverage, I feel too much like attempted mind control and People can see right through it.

December 19, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  22. Chris, Middletown, CT

I just lost respect for New Hampshire – omg...people this is Hillary – the one who can't answer one question...if you have a computer – go to YouTube and lookup Hillarys flip flops – and question avasion – she polarizes the country....I'm a Republican – I would consider Obama – but NEVER Hillary (along with the majority of Democrats....) HRC supporters...you really have to ask yourselves...do you just pretend she answers questions....?? She voted for the war..voted to fund it....supported the NY governor's licensing of illegal aliens (or maybe she didn't...who knows for sure) – she has also proposed 800 billion in entitlement spending...ala Saul Alinsky....her mentor....btw..also a grassroots Marxist

December 19, 2007 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  23. Dave Diamond, Mont Vernon, NH

I still don't know a single Clinton supporter here in New Hampshire - not a one.

December 19, 2007 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. david,florida

Everyone's allowed to have an opinion. Just because Cnn has been pushing Hillary down our throats doesn't make her appeal a good one. Not that I would would mind having a woman president in the slightest but Hillary Clinton? It should be a new law that all new presidents must have a different last name than all previous ones (or at least be unaffiliated). That sounds pretty ignorant of me to say but after seeing how unhappy people are with having Bush 2.0 in the office I don't think it's too far of a stretch.

December 19, 2007 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. washington, dc

CNN is too stupid for its own good. Exactly a week ago, the polls were apparently tied. You mean to tell me there was a 12 point switch over 7 days? Methinks they are trying to create a story. Anyone with a brain knows that just about every one of the primaries are a dead heat. This thing is going to be decided on Jan 3rd, not today or next week.

December 19, 2007 09:53 am at 9:53 am |