December 24th, 2007
7 months ago

One lonely candidate on the campaign trail

Sen. Dodd has moved his entire family to Iowa as he campaigns in the key early state.

(CNN) - The 2008 presidential candidates have taken a day or two off from campaigning in Iowa in recognition of the Christmas holiday. But, not Sen. Christopher Dodd, D-Connecticut. Dodd doesn't have to leave Iowa for the holiday because he relocated his wife and two daughters to the Hawkeye State earlier this year.

Dodd is the only White House hopeful to have a campaign event scheduled for Monday.  The senator plans to assemble care packages for Iowa National Guardsmen deployed overseas at an event in Carroll, Iowa.

Watch Jessica Yellin's report about the Dodd family's planned Christmas holiday in the Iowa.

Related video: Dodd: I won't say no to VP

Filed under: Chris Dodd • Iowa
  1. KEITH JAMES LOUTTIT

Hey Chris, my friends in Connecticut are wondering when you are going to do what you were elected to do: Take care of Connecticut's business?

December 24, 2007 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. AJ, IL

Dodd seems like a nice guy publicly. However, why are there so many presidential candidates on their second marriages to women nearly half their age? Dodd's wife is much younger and at Dodd's age of 63 he has a 5 year old?!?!? Fred Thompson is another candidate in a similiar situation. McCain is another one on his second marriage to a much younger woman. Kucinich has a mail order bride that is nearly half his age as well.

Marital stability is one of the criteria that I judge presidential candidates. At this stage Obama, Huckabee, Romney, and Edwards meet my initial presidential criteria. Although is the tabloid stories about Edwards having a pregnant mistress turn out to be true. He will drop off my radar as well.

December 24, 2007 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Chris Dodd's wife didn't learn anything from John Edwards wife. She also doesn't know how to keep her mouth shut. In their interview on CNN she just over-talked him like she's running for president. She may be younger but she ain't easy on the eye.

December 24, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  4. J, Ca

This guy is a political clown. wasting time and money to have a nice vacation in Iowa, and get publicity to his family memebers. Election laws should be ammended to prevent these kind of loosers wasting resources and everyones fricking time .
    You are ready to be a VP Dodd? Guess what, nonone's going to ask you.

December 24, 2007 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. MS Johnson City, TN

Hello AJ in IL,

If marital stability is your criterion, then you should consider Ron Paul also.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZPCWGtIupE&w=640&h=390]

December 24, 2007 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Not really worthy of comment. Iowa has had three more Senators than allowed by law for some time now. How do the folks feel that they are supposed to be representing??? Dodd is a nice person but like the proverbial Christmas goose he is done.

December 24, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. JOHN SMITH,GA

Hey, AJ from IL,ARE BIAS OR WHAT ? WHY HRC IS NOT YOUR FIRST CRITERIAS LIST.SHE AND BILL HAVE BEEN MARIIED FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS.HRC IS THE REAL DEAL.

December 24, 2007 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  8. Lucinda, Bangor, ME

Dodd, Gravel, Biden and Kucinich all need to get out of the race as soon as possible. None of them will even come close to winning. None of them will make a good VP either.

December 24, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. Lloyd DeMoss, Arcadia, Iowa

Really hardly worth comment. Iowa has had three more Senators than allowed for some time. How do the people feel that they are paid to represent?? Dodd is a nice guy and a little bit like the proverbial christmas goose, done.

December 24, 2007 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Ramona, Boise, ID

Hello AJ in Illinois:

FDR, Kennedy and Clinton were excellent presidents but all had extra-marital affairs. Do you honestly think that marital fidelity has anything to do with good leadership? I think you need to adjust your criteria for picking presidents.

December 24, 2007 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  11. PS, KC, MO

I have to give the guy a lot of credit for relocating to Iowa. That shows commitment. Of course, I can understand how his constituents in Conn might not take it so well.
    The side story indicating that he might accept VP also piqued my interest. I like his politics, but I don't think he has much of a chance. The problem is that he, Biden and Edwards are all competing for the same voters. So I think he would make an excellent VP. I would hate to lose his voice in the Senate, though.
    As for his personal life – it's just that – personal. If he wants to marry a much younger woman, that's his choice. It doesn't impact my decision making one whit.
    It's time we did away with this notion that the electorate somehow has the right to know all about a candidate, including his personal and private matters. They don't. You have a right to know where he stands on the issues, what he will support, what he will oppose and how he will govern. That's it.
    If FDR had had to disclose everything a modern candidate does, he'd have never been elected – let alone re-elected.

December 24, 2007 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. Graham, Vancouver

AJ in IL,
    Kucinich has a mail order bride? Stay home on Nov. 4 if you are that closed minded.

December 24, 2007 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Todd C. Wilmington, DE

"Dodd is the only White House hopeful to have a campaign event scheduled for Monday."

The guy has 1%, what does he have to lose?

December 24, 2007 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  14. Brad, Stockton, CA

How does he represent the people of Connecticut when he moves to Iowa? Or with any of the others... why are they getting paid by the same employer while they are out looking for another job?

December 24, 2007 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  15. Chad, Durham, NC

Lucinda from ME:
    The "lesser" candidates should not drop out. Although they seem to have a lesser chance of winning, they do much to bring issues to the campaign that the front runners do not acknowledge. For example, does anyone besides Biden EVER talk about Darfur? Nope. Watch the debates. As usual, the second tier candidates are way smarter and more articulate than the others. Maybe that's why they don't succeed...

December 24, 2007 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. glider187

Let's Make a New Year's Resolution for America!

December 24, 2007 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Randy Hurst San Francisco, California 94121

I have to give credit to Senator Dodd which is long overdue. He is the real deal and should be given strong consideration for the nomination.

December 24, 2007 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. TC,Illinois

Now the missus can caucus for him. I understand anyone can sign up to caucus and you dont need a permanent address. We could all go to Iowa and corrupt the voting system of America. Dont mock me this is Karls plan afterall.

December 24, 2007 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  19. Glen, Boston, MA

AJ:

I don't understand who you are to judge these individuals' personal lives, or assess their ability to be president based upon their marriage status.

You do not know why marriages fell apart. Anyway, we are not necessarily supposed to stay with the same person throughout our lives. Imagine meeting someone at 20 and expecting to still feel a deep, profound connection with them at 40. It certainly happens, but biologically and spiritually speaking we are not pre-programmed to remain with the same person. That is just social conditioning.

December 24, 2007 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. lilarose

Oh no! Don't say it!

Yet another politician married to his daughter's friend, or nearly so! This is disgusting to me!

December 24, 2007 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  21. Charles in Salt Lake City, Ut

Who?

No, seriously. Who?

December 24, 2007 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. randy, reston va

Conservatives need to go with John McCain. I like Mitt Romney, but he could not win an election against Clinton or Obama. He could compete against Clinton because of her high unfavorables, but I think Obama would beat him. Oh, it has been fun seeing the Clinton campaign implode, and I think Obama will beat Clinton. I know, I know, in a colorblind society where merit should hold ultimate sway, OBAMA isn't even qualified to be assistant majority whip. He's missed a 1/3 of his votes during the 2005-2006 session, and he hasn't held a hearing as member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Sadly, America is not a colorblind society where merit holds ultimate sway. It is very sad that American's don't see the racism in voting for an unqualified candidate just because he is Black as a way to prove that America is sorry for its past. Sadly, the media will blast us when we attack him for the following policy positions:

1) Raising taxes on the middle class to fund social security (he wants to lift the cap to 115k)
    2) Attempt to make it easier for employers who hire illegal aliens.

3) Indicating in 1996 that he supported a ban on manufacturing handguns.
    4) Said the troops who died in Iraq were wasted lives.
    5) While pretending he is moderate or independent, votes with the Democratic majority 95% of the time.
    6) Does not think we should label the Iranian Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization despite the fact they kill our troops.
    7) voted present (the only present vote) on a bill banning adult shops near schools

Despite these positions, Romney would not beat him because Romney has already been presented to the public as a world class flip flop. Whether you think thats fair or not, the polls indicate its the truth. In any case, McCain is the only person with a legitimate chance to beat Clinton or Obama. I know we may not agree with him on everything, but when it comes to foreign policy, judges (I'll weigh his votes for Alito and Roberts over his gang of 14 compromise), and entitlements, I'll take him over a Democrat any day. McCain will play well amongst independents in the midwest, and he is popular throughout the Northeast.

Have you seen Survey USA's latest polls? Even in liberal bastions like Massachusetts and New York, McCain does extremely well against Obama. (Deval Patrick is a liability for Obama in Massachussetts)

I can't wait for Obama to be branded as the Affirmative Action president when civil rights initiatives that are similar to theo ne passed in michigan will be on the ballot all across America

December 24, 2007 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  23. Allison, NH

Chad, Durham, NC – You are so right on! I am sick of people saying they are voting for the most "popular". Sorry, being president is not a popularity contest – its a job...one of the most important in our country.

Sorry, I do not live in CT so I'm not so familiar with how un-served you feel about your senator, but as a NH resident I find his views refreshing. Not only is he protecting our freedoms (hello – he is ALL over the FISA Amendment protecting our freedom of privacy), but he is also a advocate for education. Have you ever heard of the program called Head Start? If you have, then his name is ALL over this important legislation.

I'd like to remind people that you should try using your minds when voting in the Primary's. Vote for the person whom you like the best – not the most popular, or who currently has the best ratings. If not, we're just falling into the same trap we did with Bush...and look how well he has served us!

Oh, and as for him having a younger wife – get over it! His family is staying in Iowa while he campaigns – they did not uproot their home from CT!! Sounds like he's a pretty good family man if he's trying to be a part of his kids lives by having them close to where he has to be. And who cares if his wife is younger – that mentality is just plain old fashioned these days. I'd rather see two people in love but with an age difference than two people in a dead-end relationship for 30 years of their lives. Life is TOO short to end up in dead end relationships.

December 24, 2007 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  24. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

To: Keith James Louttit.

Don't worry, you still have that old fart, Leiberman, to do Connecticut's work, right?

How could you guys hang on to that guy? Talk about interest on himself!

December 25, 2007 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  25. Roger Aurora, Illinois

I never knew he had such a young daughter. Honestly, it worries me. I'm not against family or anything, I'd just hate to think of how being president can get in the way of being a good father during very young childhood. I love Dodd's politics with a capital L, but I think his place is in the senate, working for CT, not moving the family to Iowa, looking for a VP spot. Used to consider him my hopeful for VP choice, but no longer. Now I'm hoping for Biden as the backup to my choice of Richardson.

December 26, 2007 01:13 am at 1:13 am |