December 28th, 2007

TICKER MORNING EDITION: Friday, Dec. 28, 2007

ALT TEXT

Making news today...

Pakistan and politics on the trail

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Much of Thursday’s campaign coverage gave way to non-stop reporting on the assassination of Benazir Bhutto — but that didn’t seem to take much of the edge off the rough-and-tumble of the race.

One of Barack Obama’s senior strategists, David Axelrod, made remarks – which he later seemed to back away from - that appeared to link the former Pakistani prime minister’s death with Hillary Clinton’s vote on the Iraq war. Joe Biden took a swipe at fellow Democrat Bill Richardson for calling on Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf to step down. (Richardson is planning a “major speech” on the crisis today in Des Moines). John McCain said he didn’t see how Rudy Giuliani’s post-9/11 experience as mayor of New York “provides one the credentials to address national security issues.” Mitt Romney downplayed the value of McCain’s own national security expertise.

And Mike Huckabee revived the ghost of his almost-forgotten NIE misstep when he seemed to imply Pakistan was still under martial law – which hasn’t been the case for two weeks. (He later said he had known of the change.)

With the huge international news yesterday, a few recent campaign developments fell a bit under the radar. Take the ad wars: After cutting back his spending in the Boston media market that serves a slice of southern New Hampshire, Giuliani has now apparently abandoned the pricey media market entirely. It’s now looking almost certain that he and McCain – who was just crowned the new Republican favorite by Robert Novak – won’t be airing any spots in Iowa before caucus night. And they’ve now been joined on the sidelines by Fred Thompson, who is – at least for the moment – off the air in the Hawkeye State.

Meanwhile, Giuliani’s new 9/11-themed spot – which liberally uses images of New York firefighters, some of whom are actively opposing his presidential bid – would have been a sure headline-grabber any other day.

In the Democratic contest, Obama gave his big close in Iowa. Today, it’s John Edwards’ turn, in a speech that takes direct aim at some of the Illinois senator’s main campaign themes.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Ticker Morning Edition
  1. Nando,Florida

No Mrs Sinderbrand,

Like Mr. Obama told your Wolfe in Sheeps clothing Blitzer last night on Larry King .

You guys know exactly what Mr Axelrod said and it is not what you are reporting.

You should stop this swiftboating still Spin, using this womans death as a way to forward you Networks MASTERS BILL and HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!

December 28, 2007 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  2. Nice, Houston, Texas

Obama was right on Pakistan, on Iran, he was right on Iraq.

EVEN BHUTTO AGREED WITH OBAMA;

Bhutto's reaction to Obama's Pakistan policy: "But the issue that I would like to stress is that Barack Obama also said, if Pakistan won't act. And that's the critical issue, that the government has to act. And the government has to act to protect Pakistan's own serenity and integrity, its own respect, and to understand that if it creates a vacuum, then others aren't going to just twiddle their thumbs while militants freely move across the border." - Benazir Bhutto, August, 2007 ....

Hillary is confused and lacks judgement: SHE VOTED FOR THE DISTRACTION AND BILL OPPOSSED IT FROM THE BEGINING

December 28, 2007 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  3. Nice, Houston, Texas

Obama was right on Pakistan, on Iran, he was right on Iraq.

EVEN BHUTTO AGREED WITH OBAMA;

Hillary is confused and lacks judgement: SHE VOTED FOR THE DISTRACTION ( IRAQ) AND BILL OPPOSSED IT FROM THE BEGINING

December 28, 2007 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  4. randy

I think that people are looking for some thing just a litle something to bring obama down and some media company is behind it.

December 28, 2007 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  5. randy

As of yesterday cnn was brodcasting the news about bhutto the same talking allbout clintons.for one time in my live I hate CNN I try not to I did all I can.clinton will not win the election in 08 the whole america knows we have every thing we need to see about the clintons keep trying cnn.

December 28, 2007 07:41 am at 7:41 am |
  6. garbel

well let's be honest I bet my life clinton will not win the genaral elction.

December 28, 2007 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  7. Let the Leaders Lead, Arcadia, Iowa

Hillary, who knows Iowa so well, pledged a visit in the Hilly copter to each of Iowas' 99 counties. She is traveling by bus to a few. Just another broken promise, can't wait to see what she will do if elected. I knew this was a joke from the git go, but isn't this like another of her(silly) Hilly slogans. Save America from Hillary, vote for anyone else at the January 3 caucus.

December 28, 2007 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  8. garbel

The only way she can win is if she pick obama as vice president.

December 28, 2007 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  9. garbel

The only way she can win the genaral election if she obama as vice presidentm

December 28, 2007 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  10. garbel

Obama is our president and if he don't have the normination I will vote for democrate you know as a black man to vote for a republican you will know that things have gone bad.

December 28, 2007 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  11. Julie Thompson

Fred Thompson gave a true American speech on this issue yet you continue to ignore our next president?

Boy your sure trying to keep Americans in the dark aren't you?– well it's not working.
    And these morning reports from you are proving this to many more people today–to ignore you and your ignorant reporting measures.

We can see through your antics, and your network will have its own spin, a downward spiral.

December 28, 2007 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  12. MJ, Westport CT

Here! Here! Nando, I also believe CNN is out to get Obama. I no longer watch Wolf Blitzer because of his partisanship.
    Unfortunately, sometimes I forget to watch Lou Dobbs because I have my channel tuned to MSNBC now.

I will not vote for Billary Clinton under any circumstance. I would consider Biden, Obama, and Richardson.

If Giuliani is the candidate on the Republican side, I would not vote Republican. America does not need a womanizing adulterer with six marriages between him and his wife. I would vote for Huckabee or McCain.

December 28, 2007 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. Jay

I wonder if the press actually creates the "top runners." Job Biden, in my opinion, clearly has the international experience which a true leader should have. Yet, the press rarely gives him coverage. Yet, a woman and black person get an amazing amount of coverage.

Dare I suggest that the press is more intrigued by a woman and a black person than they are by substance?

December 28, 2007 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. michele

bhutto was killed by the government of pakistan. If bhutto had been elected which she would have been musharaff would have stopped getting money from the bush administration. bush is funding pakistans internal conflict. We need a change we need barack obama as president, its time for a change, dont be fooled by the clintons.

michele
    clearlake

December 28, 2007 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. michele

barack obama is the clear front runner in my book I wish I was in Iowa right now.Hilary has nothing new to say as far as running this country. If she got in office it would be Bill Clinton running things again and he already had his two terms. Its time for a change and as crazy as this world is right now we need a man in office not a woman right now. And I'm a woman. I'd like to see a woman as president like Nancy Pelosi, but not Hilary Clinton.

Michele

December 28, 2007 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. Kevin Topeka, KS

Garbel-

Should be garble. I have three words for you. Education, education, education.
    G e n e r a l. Read it closely, you may want to spell it again, someday. If Barack is not nominated you will vote Democrat? Wow, that is making a stand.

Michele-

There are flights to Iowa all the time. Jump on one. You can be there in a few hours at most. But why? Caucuses a lot of fun to watch? I do believe you have to be a resident of the state to participate.

Typical Obama fans. "Him has really good ideas....uh....ideals....er....he talks good. If I knew how, I would vote for him. But I'm ascared, do those 'hanging chad' things hurt of they fall on you."

December 28, 2007 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |