December 29th, 2007

Clinton, Obama hit each other on electablilty

Obama took shots at his chief rivals in Iowa Saturday.

Obama took shots at his chief rivals in Iowa Saturday.

(CNN) - In the final weekend before Iowa voters kick off the presidential primary season, Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton each raised questions about the other's ability to beat the Republican Party's nominee next November.

"We are less likely to win an election that starts off with half the country not wanting to vote for that candidate," Obama said Saturday at an event in Madison.

"We are less likely also to win an election with somebody who had one set of positions four years ago and has almost entirely different positions four years later. We've been through that," he also said in comments that seemed to be directed at John Edwards. At a later event he said the same thing and named Edwards.

Clinton quickly responded in a media availability in Eldredge, sounding her familiar campaign theme that she has already proven her ability to withstand the "Republican attack machine," and suggesting Obama has yet to be tested.

"I have been around a while," the New York Democrat said. "I have seen a lot of elections come and go, and who ever our Democratic nominee is will be subjected to the full force and effect of the Republican attack machine."

"Unfortunately that is the barrier that you have to overcome," she added. "What you know with me, I have already overcome it. I have withstood it, and not only survived it but thrived over the last 16 years. So there is very little guess work."

– CNN's Chris Welch and Mike Roselli contributed to this report

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. JBH

I get the impression that Barack Hussein Obama thinks he's Zorro. Personally, I'm embarassed for him; he's too uncertain about himself, weak, immature, and lives in fantasyland.
    I might consider voting for him if and when HE WALKS ON WATER--which isn't going to happen.

Hillary gets my vote.

December 30, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

I am tired of people saying "life was good" under the Clintons. The bubbles in the stock market and with jobs goign oversees STARTED with the Clinton's policies.

Its typical politics, someone votes things that SOUND good. By the time the true impact is felt, its up to the next president to deal with them.

That is the problem with the 4-year 2-term short sighted election system. No president is thinking of what is best for the country in 10-20-30 years. They want what makes polls go up TODAY and wins them votes in the next election.

Social Security, Medicare, Trade Deficits, National Debt and more are issues that require LONG TERM planning and sacrifice. No one will take these on because Americans do not want to sacrifice today for a better tomorrow - how many have been living the "good life" off home equity and credit card debt?

Hillary knows this, she flip flops and votes for what is popular just like Bill did (must be that "experience" she saw as First Lady) instead of what is necessary.

December 30, 2007 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Realist08

ITS SO FUNNY WHEN I READ SLIME MUDSLINGS FROM OBAMA. HOW AND WHEN HAS HRC CHANGED HER VIEWS.

THE ONE THING THAT BAFFLES ME IS THAT OBAMA IS NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE TO VOTE ON SENSITIVE ISSUES YET HE USES THE VOTES OF OTHERS TO CASTIGATE THEM.

TRUTH – ALL REPUBLICANS WANT OBAMA TO WIN THE NOMINATION SO THEY CAN UTTERLY TRASH THE DEMOCRATS IN THE POLLS.

O YE DEMOCRATS DO NOT BE FOOLED, THE DAY OBAMA PICKS THE DEMOCRATIC NOMNATION IS THE OBITUARY DATE OF THE DEMOCRATS.

HATE IT OR LOVE IT, HRC REMAINS THE BEST CANDIDATE THE DEMOCRATS CAN OFFER TO BEAT THE REPUBLICANS FOLLOWED BY EDWARDS.

ALL DEMOCRATS NEED TO LOOK BEYOND NAMES. PLEASE SCROLL UP AND READ WHAT JUSTIN FROM HOUSTON TX AND MG HAD WRITTEN.

I ALSO BELIEVE THAT THOSE CLAIMING TO BE DEMOCRATS BU.T WOULD VOTE FOR REPUBLICANS IF HRC IS ELECTED ARE NOT TRUE BLOODED DEMOCRATS. THEY ARE SPOIL SPORTS TRYING TO PULL DOWN THE DEMOCRATS

VOTE HRC OR EDWARDS, AS WE NEED TO MAKE GAINS ON WHAT WE HAVE NOW.

December 30, 2007 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Helen

obama will get my vote....WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER

December 30, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. Mario

To al in Sf, are you kidding...trust Hitlery? are you out of your mind! To MArgarita, who is Bubba? To Dan in Columbia MD, Amen!! To Sledge, your hero did vote for the war in Iraq, your just anoher Hiteryite lying and trying to get away with it. Listen to the screaming witch, she even admits she voted for the war!

December 30, 2007 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. E, Layton UT, Freiburg Germany

My original post didn't come through, so here's a second try :)

Mrs. Clinton: "What you know with me, I have already overcome it. I have withstood it, and not only survived it but thrived over the last 16 years. So there is very little guess work."

Sorry, but to me that's a pile of bull... Every single Republican that I've talked to about the race can't stand Hillary. To be honest, I don't personally know anybody that actually really supports and believes in her. It's almost always been the, "Anybody but Hillary, please!" line that I hear from Republicans. From Dems I usually hear, "But she's so smart..." So are millions of other good people in our country. Hillary never "beat" the "Republican Attack Dog" – she just survived, and they still despise her and have tons of ammo to throw.

When Mr. Obama talks about reaching across the table and being able to work with people from all walks of life: Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Blacks, Whites, Latino Americans, Asians, etc., etc., I firmly believe it. I'm a "conservative religous white man" from the "Red State" of Utah, and am supporting Barack (and yes, I'm active in the LDS Church and not supporting Mr. Romney, as much as I do respect him). I've noticed that when people read Obama's take on the issues, his goals and plans, and then really listen objectively to his speeches, they lean towards him. Plus, he truly inspires people, and reminds us what it means to be a "citizen" of the United States and to serve others, to actually do our part in society... an attribute of a true leader that we haven't seen in Washington for a long time. Check out the Issues menu on the barackobama . com homepage. If you've read through the information, and not just the spun news headlines, and still disagree, by all means, vote for your candidate, and then support them.

I believe Obama will get the Independent vote, as well as a large chunk of Repubs' vote who are tired of the "same old Washington politics". I was one of them. Take it for what it's worth.

December 30, 2007 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Ray Kizzn

AND Obama pulls ahead in the stretch...He he comes....WINNING going away
    No to old lady Hil....A LIAR
    raykizzn@aol.com

December 30, 2007 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  8. Jimenez

You know let's all try to stay focused on backing a winner. This of course is Clinton. We are amazed how some people are so blinded by Obama. The hunger for change has made you lose sight of what is really important. We need a person of strength – Clinton. Obama lacks strength. He is just a puppet – to Michelle and Oprah. Who told this man he even had a remote of chance? Michelle. Who is now saying that if he doesn't win in 08 he will NEVER run again? Michelle. Need I say more. These two are so not ready to be a president of a first lady. Not that it would really happen. But so not ready.......... Clinton 08

December 30, 2007 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. BR-New York City

Kim, Los Angeles, CA December 29, 2007 6:38 pm ET

DUH..REPUBLICANS SAY THEY WOULD VOTE FOR OBAMA AND NOT CLINTON BECAUSE THEY ARE PRAYING FOR OBAMA TO GET THE DEMOCRAT NOMINATION. THEY KNOW THAT ANY OF THE REPUBLICANS CAN BEAT OBAMA AND ARE HOPING HE GETS THE NOMINATION. IT IS HILLARY THAT THEY ARE SCARED OF. SENATOR CLINTON IS THE ONLY DEMOCRAT THAT WILL DEFEAT ANY OF THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES. THE REPUBLICANS KNOW THIS. THANKFULLY, SO DO MOST DEMOCRATS. THAT IS WHY HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT

To Kim.

What are smoking? The polls suggest that Hillary can't beat any of the candidates. Maybe you should pass that over to Bill so maybe this time he will inhale...

December 30, 2007 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Jean augustin

We need a change for the political in US. Whoever the candidate who is going to make the change I will go for . I think Obama will be the best candidate for the post of presidency in the Us for the next four years.

December 30, 2007 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  11. Ajay Jain

Obama on Electability:

What Obama so innocently is forgetting is that he is dealing with America where in spite of what happened in IOWA, all is said and done RACISM is alive. Ask the Republican voters who will be part of the general election Republican character destruction machine that Hillary has fought and won twice in 1992 and 1996!

The so called polling that is done among the majority Whites in today's US of America give a very false impression maybe except for the under 30 youth vote who are not aware of the dire condition the country is in with the Iraq & Afganistan wars and terrorism. Their idealism will divide the democratic vote.

For fear of being labeled a "racist' Whites in today's US of America say they will vote for a Black man in Obama but in the voting booth they will pull the lever for the White person be it a REPUBLICAN alternative. Ask the Republican voters for a general election vote and they will happily give you their view.

Hence Obama should not jump to ELECTABILITY conclusions based just on polls conducted in New Hampshire! Ask the Republican voters for a general election vote.

Go Hillary44 08! http://hillaryis44.org/ http://facts.hillaryhub.com/ http://www.hillaryhub.com/
    For a little election Pre-IOWA snapshot: http://uselectionatlas.org/2008.php

January 5, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. Michael Oliva

Please enjoy an article I wrote titled "Experience Matters!"

Thanks,