December 29th, 2007

Clinton to launch second Nevada ad

(CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign announced Friday it would launch a second ad in Nevada next week titled "Stand by Us." The 30-second spot highlights how Clinton 'stood up' on health care for children, the National Guard and reservists and on raising the minimum wage.

Then the ad takes a local turn: "Now Hillary's standing up to stop the nuclear waste dump at Yucca Mountain."

Yucca Mountain is a key issue for Nevadans who don't want nuclear waste in their backyard. Presidential candidates tend to flaunt their opposition to the repository for potential caucus-goers.

A similar Clinton Campaign ad with the same title began airing in South Carolina on Thursday. The differences? There is no mention of Yucca Mountain and Clinton is 'standing up' against privatizing Social Security instead – a position not mentioned in the Nevada ad.

Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama are the only candidates running ads in the Silver State. By next week, they will have aired two apiece.

– CNN Nevada Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: Extra • Nevada
  1. MDM

Good stories from Nevada; even handed and interesting, keep it up.

December 30, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. Cody

Guess who the only candidate is that wants to end ALL nuclear power in addition to coal. Yep, the one and only Kucinich. If they leave Yucca Mountain, it'll just be in another location. NO MORE NUCLEAR!

KUCINICH: The only one who will make a difference. The only one with no strings attached.

Polls mean nothing– and if they do, there's plenty in Dennis Kucinich's favor! Visit http://www.kucinichcantwin.com and see for yourself.

December 31, 2007 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  3. lluvia

All Nevada should watch "Sicko" and see how much she really backs up Health care. She got bought out with big money.

January 4, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  4. brenda.ohio

hillary 08.

January 7, 2008 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  5. Gane

Senator Edwards, I would NOT vote for you because you are making your case only on of the expense of Hilary Clinton.

Gentleman?! What is it? On the debate you ware like a Hyena over her, before her suit... Is that a simple jealousy lire most of American women (surprise for me, even Pakistanis are more advance in this meter and Bhutto was killed from her enemies).

Second, do you deny that "Clinton's machine" work peaty well for americans for 8 years ?

It is partly your fault. Why didn't you win the Election in 2000? Now you are blaming Hilary that America is really in a big ...

You still play your ego agenda, Sur! Obama will be chewed and spit from Republicans, because he has not very much to offer then word "Change" (He sounds to me like those communist leaders who had been feeding the people only with nice word and hopes of future almost heavenly life; UTOPIA, eh , worked for some period).

Americans , please, just do not compare him with JFK.

If you really are talking from your heard, it is not late you to make some REAL CHANGE- make sure Democrat to be in the Oval office this time even that is not you.

As I rite on a CNN goes a Braking New about Iranians? I imagine Senator Obama in the Oval office with pence full of..

Wake up Americans, it is very serious , do not blow it again!

January 7, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  6. Mike

John Smith of "IOWA" whether you like Obama or not....your state has already spoken sir...enjoy the Obama Mo' !!!

January 7, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. Cove

Unlike Clinton, Governor Bill Richardson is on the record condemning torture. 60 photos, pictures and images of Richardson at

January 7, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Frances Cantey

For the undecided independent voters, “America needs this movement” of change in order for it to survive.

The question is, am I willing to accept change, or will I compromise the very thing I have wanted to see take place in a very long time? Change. No one knows that better than our military men and women who fight every day to bring change to a nation, that is in bondage to a system that no longer works for the good of us all.

For 10-40+ years the “experienced,” allowed the unthinkable to take place in our country (i.e. lack of secure borders; illegal immigration; 9/11; no health care; education failure; the exportation of our jobs; dependency on foreign oil/ financial aid; global warming (Al Gore was right there, they ignored him); sex scandal, sub-prime mortgage debacle, etc.). They did not do any of what they are promising us again.

With their global initiatives, foreign nations invest in our economy. WHO WILL EVENTUALLY OWN AMERICA? America is at stake of being taken over.

Remember "Humpty Dumpty.” Look at everything that has happened with the “experienced.” Others will control America. We need a change from all the “experienced” who has gotten America in this shape for lack of judgment to say, “No to corporate greed and power.” If you can, get a copy of The Wall Street Journal, September 26, 2007 issue or visit http://www.augustreview.com. Then you will know the truth about why they are fighting so hard to get back in.

Remember Lot’s wife. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOK BACK. America will not survive. We need someone who is really going to bring us together as a nation. This is a once in a life time movement for us; to have “an audacity to hope,” and regain our respect and integrity as a beacon of light and hope to the world.

Iowa showed us the way. Will we follow?

January 7, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. E.C.

I AM A LONG TIME NEVADAN SINCE 1964. I DO NOT WANT A NUCLEAR WASTE DUMP OUTSIDE OF MY CITY OF LAS VEGAS, ONLY EIGHTY MILES AWAY. ANY ONE WHO IS ABLE TO STOP THE GOVERNMENT FROM DOING AS IT WANTS IN THIS STATE WOULD BE A MIRCLE WORKER. HISTORICALLY, THIS STATE HAS BEEN CRAPPED ON BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OVER AND OVER. IT IS UNLIKELY THAT ANY CANDIDATE WOULD BE ABLE TO STOP THE PROGRESS OF THE YUCCA MOUNTAIN REPOSITORY, AND TO PROMISE SUCH WOULD ONLY BE A DELAYING TACTIC OR A COMPLETE LIE.
    SECONDLY I AM PERSONALLY APPALLED AT ALL OF THE NEGATIVE ADS FROM ALL OF THE PARTIES INVOLVED IN THIS ELECTION PROCESS. DOES ANYONE RECALL THE VICIOUS ATTACKS PERPETRATED BY THE BUSH PEOPLE IN 2000 AND 2004? AS A LIFE LONG DEMOCRAT, I WILL SUPPORT THE BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATE I KNOW WHO CAN WIN. I AM NOT GOING FOR THE RHETORIC OR THE CATCHY PHRASES SO POPULAR WITH SOME OF THE INDIVIDUALS RUNNING. I AM ALSO NOT IMPRESSED WITH ANY OF THE CELEBRITYS WHO ARE STUMPING FOR THE CANDIDATES. I DO MY DECIDING THE OLD FASHION WAY. I CHECK RECORDS, WEIGH THE EVIDENCE AND PAST ACHIEVEMENTS, AND THEN GO TO THE POLL ON ELECTION DAY. SENATOR OBAMA, SENATOR CLINTON AND JOHN EDWARDS BE ON YOUR BEST BEHAVIOR, BECAUSE MOST VOTERS ARE NOT SO EASILY FOOLED OR IMPRESSED WITH SPEECHES THAT ARE THE SAME WARMED OVER IDEAS. THANK YOU

January 7, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  10. andy

Hi Im In california and love to spend my money in nevada :) but I do think just like I see in the card rooms and on the streets here in California a hussle when i see it ! its to bad Obama wont say what he will do with Illegal immigration in public or what he will do with the Meth labs all over are states ? and yes Im a Mrs Clinton supporter and latino and I come from the bad parts and worked my way to a better place but I have also been talked to and given promises from guys like Obama all my life its a hussle

January 7, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  11. David Corse

I for one would never accuse Hillary of being a Republican. I would much more accuse Obama of being that since he is constantly asking for Republican votes. I don't trust him and have no faith in him at all. All I hear is rhetoric with no specifics. That is easy to put forward. I also feel that Republicans will chew him to pieces on his defense policies. Watch what will happen if McCain is the nominee.

I am a Democrat and have have always voted that way even when I wasn't in total agreement with the nominee, but I will not vote for Obama. If it is between Obama and McCain, I will vote for McCain. I am a Democrat, but I am more concerned about my country. I think many Obama supporters will find that is true of many moderates. It's not too late to change the equation, but Democrats seem to only vote with feelings and not their minds.

January 7, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  12. Joseph

Nevadans, please be sure to get people to root for Hillary on Jan. 15th in Michigan and Jan 19th n Nevada, she depends on you!!!!!!!!!!!!! If one of you turn Hillary for President – then I'm sure South Carolina or Florida will go to Hillary!

J

January 7, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  13. kelci

Can someone help me with this question? Hillary says she has all this experience but the only thing that I know she was a senator. Is she counting the year that her husband was in a office?

January 8, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  14. Jameson S.

David Corse, you took words out of my mouth.... This election will be my first vote and as I followed this whole election since last May`07 examining the debates over speeches, there are only two consistent things about OBAMA and that is on his speech he will always quote and bring up some great moments in history from the past presidents who embodied change and gave hopes to the americans. Those people has done a lot of things, OBAMA has not done significant change in this country as a whole. HE CAN NOT KEEP EXPLOITING THE GREATNESS OF JFK, ROOSEVELT, KING etc. IF HE CLAIMS HE IS THE AGENT OF CHANGE THEN HE SHOULD SHOW WHAT OBAMA CAN DO DIFFERENTLY. Please Mr. OBAMA don`t give americans FALSE HOPE, YOU CAN NOT CHANGE WASHINGTON AS IDEAL AS IT MAY SOUND. IT WILL TAKE FOR YOU TO CHANGE EVERY SINGLE ONE IN THE SENATE AND CONGRESS AND EVERY ASPECT OF GOVERNMENT IN THIS COUNTRY FOR YOU TO SAY THAT IT WILL.

And to those people who HATE HILARY passionately, ASK YOURSELVES exactly and honestly, what HILARY has done to you or has done damage this country during her public service time and do you even know or at least listen to what this woman has done for you as a citizen? Be real, I know Americans are way smarter than to believe that someone who is endorsed by OPRAH will solve what this country is in, and that is a CRISIS.

WAKE UP! OBAMA is all about he`s speeches and promises on how to do things differently in Washington.....THEN TELL US NOW MR. OBAMA, exactly what are those things...?????? Be clear and don`t just cheer!

January 8, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  15. Jameson S.

KELCI Do you read books or newspapers? probably you should research it rather done loudly asking a not so smart question.. FOR STARTER google her name and it will lead you her site, links about her...then you ought to ask question

January 8, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. Matt L.

Good email, Ellie in CA. It's refreshing to hear somebody clearly and intelligently articulate the emptiness of Obama's words, and the supremacy of Hillary as a presidential candidate. In watching the most recent debate, I was struck by how only one person on the stage could even SPEAK effectively, and that was Hillary. Compare the manner in which Obama speaks when he's giving a written speech to when he's attempting to answer a question during a debate. It's like night and day. During debates, he looks wooden, and gives the impression of somebody plucking words out of the air as he goes along, conveying no sense whatsoever that he even possesses a basic comprehension of the complexities of foreign policy, and the issues facing our next president.
    I think that too many people are not filtering the messages being force-fed to us by the media, who will do everything in their power to make us tune into their election coverage, trying to get us further addicted to their "media crack" as I like to call it. Filter, people! Scrutinize more carefully what you are being told, and you will discover that many things that are "reported" don't stand up to even basic logic. The media acted as if the Iowa caucus was the most important event of the century, and before the blood had even cooled, New Hampshire became of paramount importance, and the same exact thing will happen before the end of today on the way to South Carolina. The language chosen by the media is also very telling- statements like "...losing in Iowa had a devastating effect on her campaign..." or "...New Hampshire has become a must-win for Edwards and Clinton..." This inflamed language is highly manipulative, and doesn't reflect the simple truth, and I fear that too many people are easily swayed by this sort of irresponsible media coverage.
    Hillary is hands down the most capable, experienced, intelligent candidate with the firmest grip on the complex issues facing our country, and I trust her far more than any other candidate to take the reigns, and guide us towards rebuilding bridges around the world, and tackling the problems facing us at home.
    I also like the sentiments of Jameson S. So let's hope for another solid result for Hillary in NH, adding to her lead in the overall delegates, and look forward to some of the victories in other states that will be coming her way. Patience and careful analysis of what is being said will serve voters well in the Primary Election.

January 8, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. Del LaBelle Boise Idaho

In the debates clinton is the one on script, if a questions is asked that she hasn't been given the cahnce to reherse someone elses answers she really loses it. Nothing involving a clinotn is candid. Never believe that hilly & billy aren't the ones in charge, nothing happens without their knowledge it is pre-planned , organized by them . When will all you libs understand that?

January 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. Joseph

A US PRESIDENT NAME HUSSEIN BARACK OBAMA. THAT'S FOOLISH AND NONSENSE!!!!!!

Mrs Clinton is obviously the most qualified candidate in both parties.I'm an American I stay up late to watch the debates.So far she is the only candidate that demonstrated the qualites and experience that US needs during these turbulent times.

Obama may be brilliant , could make good C and C for the Future but ceratinly not ready for the 2008 White House.U S politics isn't about looking nice and talking sweet; it's about tough choices and decisions.Americans have to separate enthusiasm founded on wishes and dreams from pedigree, know-how, and a demonstrated capacity to deliver.

I agree profoundly with Harry and John Smith

January 8, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Susan P

Go ahead America If you want OprahBama Bla bla bla...Talk show!
    I want a change! a real change with a real experienced candidate like Mrs Hillary Clinton.

January 8, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. Carmen Rosalez

I sit here thinking after hearing the comment ( IT IS NOT TIME FOR A WOMAN TO BE PRESIDENT) I am irate, to think how hard my great grandmother, grandmother, mother have fought to get to this point in history. Have this women forgotten history. Look all over the world, of great woman in office, Queens, Prime Ministers, etc... THIS is the time, NO BETTER time, THAN NOW to have a WOMAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE, that we all know is strong, experienced, who has brought change and will continue to BRING CHANGE!
    I have sat here numberous hours lisening to the debates, I have made up my mind and have decided to stir away and vote for the Woman, who will bring Change, to my country AS PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

A WOMAN WHO WANTS CHANGE!

January 8, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. Marcus, SF CA

GOOOO H I L L A R Y!

January 8, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  22. Andrea Las Vegas

VOTE HILLARY! The only "Responsible" Canidate with an actual plan for change.

January 8, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  23. Aggie

This Obama guy hasn't been put under the microscope in any way and by the time we get around to it, it may be too late. Do we want to roll the dice again based on charisma and speeches that ring like the stirring orators of old and have the cadence of rousing Baptist ministers? No offense, but we need substance here. When I was a lot younger, I was influenced by that too, but today, much older and I hope wiser, I go for proven records of action. I may not agree with all she has done, but Hillary hasn't represented me. She represented the people of New York. As first lady, I was always proud of what she did. As an activist, she never cowered in the face of spit thrown at her by the media and the right. And I have yet to hear a plan of any substance from Mr. Obama. I have done my pluses and minuses scrutiny. If the media weren't so intent on trashing Hillary and ignoring Edwards, we might find that they are all trying to turn our country around. Think about it. Other than the "rock star" thing, can he really win? We can't afford another republican nightmare.

January 8, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  24. Ming Sun

Hillary, you are great, you are brilliant and your people will be victorious shout for you. .......Congratulations!!!......It's thankful that God bless America! You got it!!! This is the future.

January 8, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  25. lisa harris

Everyone one keep in mind, Look ahead further than 2012. We need reform.. Major reform and restrictions need to take place on legal and illegal immigration. National Security is the issue. No America, no future.
    Go Duncan, Thompson, Romney.

January 8, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |