December 29th, 2007

Thompson: 'Not particularly interested in running for president'

(CNN) – Republican Fred Thompson has long faced criticism he lacks motivation to be President of the United States, and the former Tennessee senator's latest comments Saturday may spark new criticism on that front.

"I'm not particularly interested in running for president," the former senator told voters at a campaign event in Burlington, Iowa when challenged by a an audience member over his desire to be commander-in-chief.

"But I think I'd make a good president," Thompson continued. "I have the background, capability, and concern to do this and I'm doing it for the right reasons."

Thompson took heat for not jumping into the White House race until September - significantly later than every other candidate - and has since been criticized for his laid-back campaign style and often-times light schedule.

But the former actor has criticized his rivals for launching their presidential bids months ahead of his, and continually touts the fact he hasn't harbored presidential ambitions his whole career.

"I am not consumed by personal ambition," Thompson also said Saturday. "I'm offering myself up."

"I'm only consumed by a few things and politics is not one of them."

But Thompson added the sacrifices he has made to run for president proves he wants the top job.

To be clean, I had to cut everything off," he said. "I was doing speaking engagements and I had a contract to do a TV show, I had a contract with ABC Radio, like I was talking about earlier, and so forth. I guess a man would have to be a total fool to do all those things and to be leaving his family which is not a joyful thing at all if he didn't want to do it."

–CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Fred Thompson • Iowa
  1. Mel Whirley

Does the C in CNN stand for CARELESS, CONTEMPTIBLE, OR CORRUPT? The report given regarding Thompson's comments is at best a bastardized, hacked, and slanted account, making no mention of the context in which the comments were made.

December 31, 2007 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Chuckabee

"Right Said Fred" Thompson:

"I'm too sexy to campaign, Too sexy to campaign, I'm insane!"

December 31, 2007 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. Bill Lorch

An ohter general comment, Mr Edwards and Sen. Biden are about the olny leel heads we have in this whole mess. and that is what it is. Where are the Kennedy's,Eishenhaur's,Truman's,Rosevelt's Wen the country badly needs them.. Again we get to chose between who will do least dammage to th epeople and the nation in general......

December 31, 2007 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. anon

You see: this is what's wrong with the world. Fox News includes Fred Thompson, a man who openly states he's "Not particularly interested in running for President", but does not include Ron Paul, the highest fundraiser in American political history.

How people cannot put together facts like this is worrying. But actually: it's not, because this kind of news of course never gets reported on TV, only in the deepest, darkest regions of the internet. The sheeple are just zombies, who can't even point out their own country on a map, yet think they deserve to vote in an election, let alone even breathe oxygen.

Sickening.

January 2, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  5. sabyen91

Fred Thompson: "I am not particularly interested in expending my energy by lifting this fork to my mouth but durn it, I love my food".

January 2, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |