December 30th, 2007

Mysterious holiday card spotlights Romney's religion

A bogus holiday card was sent to some South Carolina Republicans.

A bogus holiday card was sent to some South Carolina Republicans.

(CNN) – A holiday card that falsely claims to be from "the Romney family" and highlights Mitt Romney's Mormon faith was anonymously sent to Republican mailboxes across South Carolina earlier this week.

The source of the card is unknown.

View entire card [PDF]

The mailer, which says it is "Paid for by the Boston Massachusetts Temple," displays a quote from Mormon apostle Orson Pratt saying that God had multiple wives:

"We have now clearly shown that God the father had a plurality of wives, one or more being eternity by whom he begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus, his first born, and another being upon the earth by whom he begat the tabernacle of Jesus, as his only begotten in this world," the quote reads.

A copy of the glossy brochure obtained by CNN offers holiday wishes from "the Romney family": "We wish you and your family a happy holiday season and a joyful New Year," it says.

The card focuses on the Republican presidential candidate's home state of Massachusetts, displaying a photo of the Mormon Temple in Boston as well as a snowy photo of the Public Garden in Boston.

The mailing also quotes from the first Book of Nephi, part of the book of Mormon, in which the Virgin Mary is described as "exceedingly fair and white."

Romney spokesman Will Holley condemned the card.

"It is sad and unfortunate that this kind of deception and trickery has been employed," Holley said. "There is absolutely no place for it in American politics."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Mitt Romney • South Carolina
  1. James

Wow! If this is how people do politics in America, then it is pretty sad to say but, America is falling to the level of every other country in the world. Whoever threw out that ridiculous smear should come forward and apologize. I mean seriously, is that what you have to do to win a political race? Who would want someone that does that for a president?

January 1, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  2. Jay Bee, USA

Dear AmericanVoter,

You mention: "Since Mitt is a faithful Mormon, he would be obligated to follow the supposed pronouncements of God through their prophet in all aspects of his life."

Because you believe the "obligated" idea, you have no need to fear should Romney become President. Mormons are free to vote for any platform they think best represents their personal views. His prophet has authorized the following statements:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does not:
    -Direct its members as to which candidate or party for which they should vote
    -Allow its church buildings, membership lists or other resources to be used for partisan political purposes (a strict rule)
    -Endorse, promote or oppose political parties, candidates or platforms
    -Attempt to direct or dictate to a government leader

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does:
    -Encourage members to be responsible citizens, acquainted with issues and participating in voting
    -Expect members to be civil and informed about partisan political matters
    -Request that candidates do not imply their candidacy or platform is endorsed by the Church
    -Reserve the right to speak in a nonpartisan way about issues of moral consequence

Finally, Mormon public officials fervently represent their constituency, not the Church:

"Elected officials who are Latter-day Saints make their own decisions and
    may not necessarily be in agreement with one another or even with a publicly
    stated Church position. While the Church may communicate its views to them, as
    it may to any other elected official, it recognizes that these officials still
    must make their own choices based on their best judgment and with consideration of the constituencies whom they were elected to represent."

Because Romney is a "faithful Mormon" he will make his own decisions and represent his constituency, the People of the United States of America, if he were elected President.

January 1, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  3. kathy from Sarasota

Cephas,

Thank you for your response and I do appreciate your friendly tone... I would first like to address the implications from another blogger that my post is full of hate... my post states the differences in our Christian beliefs, I don't think it is justified to accuse someone of hate, bigotry and ignorance just because they are stating their opposing thoughts. To be honest, I think resorting to those accusations is a convienient, and deceptive ' tactic' that many Mormons use. As to your accusations of my being demeaning and insulting.... I admit that I did get carried away in the beginning accusing Mormon men of being highly egotistical but... I'm sorry, I just can't get around the Mormon beliefs that include keeping women continuously pregnant in the afterlife to populate these new planets that the men will be rulers of and that women get their salvation thru their Mormon husbands and not thru Christ??? And that they will become a god themselves someday EQUAL with God!!!???? These beliefs are beyond comprehension to me, they are ANTI-Christian and it is egotism to the HIGHEST degree. And these beliefs are based on the claims of a man that lived some 200 years ago... claims of visions, revelations and the 'discovery' of ancient engraved 'Golden plates' buried in Manchester, New York??
    One of the most important teachings of Christianity is humility and service to others... Jesus washing his diciple's feet is one example... how does men becoming equal with God and rulers of their own planets coincide with this???? It seems to me that if you want to start a new religion all you have to do is proclaim ideas / beliefs that the sinful side of man wants to hear. The New Testament shows that the heresy of Christianity started almost immediately, Gnosticism being a perfect example, where believers ( who also considered themselves Christians ) didn't have to live by moral restraints, that salvation was not by faith in Christ but by having 'special knowledge'.

I agree with you that everyone deserves the right to worship how they see fit. This is a God given right... it is the free will that he has given us. And we are also free to disagree with others beliefs and state our opinions accordingly. The motivation of the anti-Mormon (Christian) crowd should be trying to save souls who are following destructive beliefs (and I think that is true with the majority)..and I will state again... the most DESTRUCTIVE belief is that Jesus' sacrifice; his death on the cross, and faith in him is NOT the COMPLETE way to salvation. To change the very belief that the true Christian religion of the New Testament is based on and the ONLY way to the saving of our souls is without a doubt the work of Satan and a man namedJoseph Smith.

In response to your statement that Mormons believe that their view of Christ ( that he is separate from God ) is more consistent with that of the Bible and 1st century Christians... I will quote two of several passages in the New Testament where it states that Jesus is God...
    Romans 9:5 "Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen". Romans is believed to be written by the apostle Paul in the spring of A.D. 57.
    The other is John 1:1 " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." The book of John is believed to have been written around the year A.D. 85. I would like to add at this point that both of these men died a true martyr's death for their faith. Mormons view Joseph Smith's death as martyrdom but many find that questionable.

You are also right that there is more to discuss than there is time and space.
    And at this point I'll say that if my tone seems demeaning and insulting I apologize but my intentions are good and if there is hatred in my words they are not directed at Mormon believers but at the lies and deception of those opposed to our Lord.
    I would also like to include this from my previous post:

TRAGICALLY, MANY MORMONS MAY NOT EVEN BE FULLY AWARE OF THE DOCTRINES AND HISTORY OF THEIR OWN CHURCH.

The website http://www.macgregorministries.org/mormons/facts.html
    has much more information on what Mormons believe but won't tell you ( and will often lie about ). This site ENCOURAGES you to do your own research and for Mormons to refer to their own publications to verify the information on this site.

January 1, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  4. AmericanVoter

Dear Jay Bee:

Thank you for your response and sharing releases of the church’s policy as released to the general public.

The Mormons I know adhere strictly to whatever the prophet says, not because they are necessarily ordered to do so but because they willingly submit to what they believe has gone from God’s mouth to the prophet’s ear. I wouldn’t expect differently from them since they truly believe the same - to not would in essence be an act of disobedience to God.

Obviously, the conflict here is that since I’m not a Mormon I personally don’t believe God is speaking with the prophet. Therefore, I wouldn’t want my president to be listening to that input and being influenced in any capacity whatsoever by it. This is not to say that I don’t recognize it’s your right to believe. The difference is that your believing it will not impact how my country is run.

As I also mentioned, one of my main issues with Mr. Romney is flip-flopping on the issues (which I don’t like in any candidate) and a perception that he is willing to be less than 100% honest in all matters in order to receive votes. Just look at his two most recent television advertisements: Among others, CNN’s Keeping Them Honest has shown that the ad against John McCain bent the facts into what was not an accurate portrayal of them; the advertisement against Mike Huckabee also contained erroneous information – Condaleeza Rice did not say his foreign policy as a whole was “ludicrous”, she merely said Mr. Huckabee’s characterization of President Bush’s current policy was “ludicrous”.

I don't support either of those two candidates. The problem is I don’t like negative campaign ads, and I don’t want to give someone my vote for president when they are already being less than honest to simply gain my vote.

If it’s discovered that the Christmas cards were sent with the knowledge of one of the candidates, that would also be completely unethical and I would never vote for that candidate either. However, I do think it’s fair to discuss what impact ANY of the candidates religious practices might have upon how our country is governed.

Let us all be glad that we live in the USA where we are free to discuss these issues and make our own free choices in whom shall receive our vote!

January 2, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  5. Paul

Tim in Utah,

Your willingness to continue to attend when you are un-believeing is not so odd as you assume other would think. This is standard in all churches. I was in similar shoes in the LDS Church twice, once as a teenager in Utah (before my mission) and again when I was about 28 in Arizona. I had patience and continued to seek truth everywhere I could find it. Now I am firm and fully believing and comitted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints again. Questions are great, doubts can strengthen us as long as we are honest about them. Hang in there and you, your wife and children will be just fine because of the covenant the Savior Jesus Christ has made with you. He will take away your sins to the degree you will give them up.

January 2, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  6. supernovia

Hey Douglas – Tucson

How can the card be "completely accurate" if it states it's from the romneys, paid for by the boston temple?

And to answer your question, yes, Romney does believe in that verse you quoted, no, I don't think it would be bigotry to send out a card saying any christian candidate believed in it. If you look hard like they did though, I'm sure you could find verses that, if taken out of context like this one was, would make you irritated at their abusers.

January 2, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  7. Paul

Kathy,

The concept that men (and absolutely women too, of course) can become gods is not a Mormon invention as this post will clearly demonstrate. It is in your own Bible. Jesus quoted Psalms 82:6 when he taught:

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? John 10:34

Read both of these passages in context and you will find He is not referring to Himself but to mankind. We are Gods children and will mature to be like Him if we accept our Saviors word. "gods" is plural, not possessive in every English translation (except one) that I have checked out of about 28. We are His possessions, that is true, but that is not what Jesus was teaching here of what David was teaching in Psalms.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church also teaches this in these examples:

p. 127 contextual question " Why Did The Word Become flesh?"

p. 129 (paragraph 460) "For the Son of God became man that we might become God." (St. Athansius. De inc., 54, 3: PG 25, 192B)

p. 129 (paragraph 460) "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods." (St. Thomas Aquinas, Opusc. 57: 1-4)

See also Genesis 3:22

I have about 3 or 4 more from the Catholic Catechism if anyone is interested, but these are the best ones.

A woman does not get her salvation through her husband in LDs teachings. She gets it through Jesus Christ and there is no other name. Not Joseph Smith, not Brigham Young, only Jesus Christ.

Mosiah 3:17 (that is from the Book of Mormon)
    "And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent."

Mosiah 5:8-10 (again from the Book of Mormon)
    And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives. And it shall come to pass that whosoever doeth this shall be found at the right hand of God, for he shall know the name by which he is called; for he shall be called by the name of Christ. And now it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall not take upon him the name of Christ must be called by some other name; therefore, he findeth himself on the left hand of God.

The Book of Mormon teaches the exact same Gospel that is taught in the Bible. Read it and discover that it does not have the wicked concepts that you have heard Mormons believe in. I would reject the filthy concept that you think Mormons have, but I have discovered that Mormons do not believe such rot.

January 2, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  8. Kelly to Kathy and Non-LDS

Kathy,
    You, like many others, set yourself up as an authority on what members of the Church of Jesus Christ believe, even more than we members. This is absolutely not true for you say we do not believe some things which we do, showing that you do not know our doctrine well.
    (Let me assure you I know our doctrines and history.)

We (Mormons or Latter Day Saints) believe the following:

1. Jesus Christ is God, -Jehovah, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Word which was in the beginning, the Word which was with God and was God, and which was made flesh. He is the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophesy, a child that was born (of the Virgin Mary), a son that was given, even Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

2. Jesus Christ is the Son of God as well, the Onlybegotton Son of the Father, full of Grace and truth. As such he could be the Savoir or the World and our personal Savior. We accept Him into our lives, take upon us His sacred name and follow and worship Him in all things. The Father and Son are one in purpose, in power, in authority, in righteousness, virtue, and godhood, but are separate and distinct individuals.

4. Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life and no one comes to the Father, except through Christ, through his Atonement and by His grace.

5. We rely "Wholly upon the merits of Christ for our Salvation" – quoted several times in the Book of Mormon: Without Christ and what He did for us there is no Salvation for us. In spite of all we do, we are unprofitable servants.

6. Christ died upon the cross. His body was in the tomb for three days and He was resurrected bodily and continues to live bodily and reigns on the Right hand of God, as witnessed by Stephan at his stoning. That Christ was resurrected is witnessed by many, other women, the early apostle, Paul on road to Damascus, John on the Isle of Patmos, some of the ancient American people (Book of Mormon) and in these latter days to Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery and Sidney Rigdon. He lives and we bear witness that He lives and is our Savior.

7. All people who ever have lived or will live will get a chance to learn of Christ and accept Him and thus be saved, at some time before their own resurrection and judgment. For some this chance comes while on the earth for others it will come later (See Peter 3 and 4). This is true regardless of race, color, or creed while on this earth, else God is not a just and impartial God. God loves ALL people as do we, those who believe in His son and choose to follow Him.

8. We should strive to become like God as far as being kinder, more loving, forgiving, just, merciful, and full of charity. We are sanctivied as we do, and are changed by the mercy of Christ.

9. We believe and follow the Bible as the Word of God, and all that it teaches about Jesus Christ and about God our Father.

10. We allow all to worship as they wish, and don't tell them what they believe, even when they do not agree.

January 2, 2008 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  9. jessie, West Virginia

To Kathy from Sarasota:

There is nothing "tragic" about it. It's only tragic to you and your fellow associates who publicized a "Mass Mormon Extinction." What message do you bring to the world? Hate? I respect your right to express your belief in your religion. I can see you are very "Passionate" about it. That reminds me of "Saul" who latter "named "Paul" of the New Testament. My sister–Why don't you pray about your own action? Truly pour your heart and soul for the benefit and welfate of your own "soul"-not worrying to much about the "Mormons." Because we are here "not" to "judge," but let our heart be "purified" in Christ. (Luke 6:35-38) Let me share with you what Paul's admonition when he said: For Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; Charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up," Look it up in l Cor 13:4-13. He also said that without charity it "profiteth us nothing." If you are passionate about "Jesus Christ" your "Master," then, love your "Mormon enemy" because He also said to "Love" your enemy. On my part, I will never have a problem to say; I Love You My Sister," But also to say with boldness that you are "Not" my enemy. My enemy is "Satan the Devil."

January 2, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  10. jessie, West Virginia

To Kathy from Sarasota:

I come to you impart with humbleness, but also mingled with boldness of spirit that I have a "testimony" of Christ that "He" is the only begoten Son of our loving and merciful Heavenly Father. He is my Saviour and Redeemer. He is the Truth, the Way, the Light, and the Life of the World. He is my "Judge." He is the "Creator" of the world (John 1:1-3). What more can I say? But let us have peace and love of Christ –for you and I and the Mormons both believe on the same Christ. Let charity garnish our thoughts, for without "Chairty," according to Paul, we become as "sounding brass, or a tinckling cymbal," for "Charity never faileth, and is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil." Again Paul said, "And now abideth faith, hope,charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." I Love You my sister in Christ "Kathy of Sarasota," I don't know you in person, but through the spirit in Christ–I Know you. Peace I live with you. :)

Jessie of West Virginia

January 2, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Bud

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Republicans eat their own!

January 2, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  12. Joe Johnson, St. Paul MN

Someone goes after Mitt because of his religion? Too bad. It will be fun watching the Republicans try to 'out Holy' each other to get the 'Christian' vote....

January 2, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. Mike T

It no differant than the republican from GW Bush on have done to the democrats for years I see no reson to get upset let them eat there own . Wait until the election
    and watch the 'repuiblican slime machine got to work on Obama or whoever the democrats select .

January 2, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  14. Cephas

Kathy,

My replies to your comment keep getting rejected by the moderator so I'll be brief:

I hope you're still monitoring this blog. I'm sure CNN won't let this discussion go on too much longer. But I had to get back with you on this. I worried about it and lay awake for some time concerned for you.

First let me say that I very much appreciated the tone of your post. But I must take you to task on one point. You said that the link you provided would take me to information that “Moromons…won't tell you (and will often lie about)”. I’ve been a member of this Church for 25 years and have never any occasion witnessed members or leaders who have lied about the Gospel. To suggest such a thing to a Mormon is one of the highest insults of which I am aware. Of course there are some who do err on occasion but never intentionally. So I respectfully must ask you to recant that statement. But I don’t blame you, I blame those who have led you to this train of thought.

Now to what worries me most. The web link you provided contains some of the most disgusting tripe I have seen for some time. The fact that there are still folks out there regurgitating these old and worn out arguments amazes me. But rather than me telling you this, let me let them expose there own dubious nature for you.

As you know on the link you provided presents a lengthy list of items Mormons supposedly won’t tell you. The first one on the list says this: “MORMONS WON'T TELL YOU that they believe your Church is wrong, your Christian creeds are abomination to God, and you pastor or Priest is a hireling of Satan.”

The website is owned and operated by: mmoutreachinc.com. On their home website under their “Who are we Statements of Belief” link you’ll find the following quote; “We believe if you have the right Jesus Christ, you are right for all eternity. But if you have the wrong Jesus Christ then you are wrong for all eternity”.

These two statements are identical in nature and purpose. On the one hand they claim that Mormon’s believe that they hold a monopoly on the way to heaven because every other Church is wrong. Then they themselves claim to know the only true way to heaven because all other perspectives are wrong. Do you see how dubious this is? It is a clear double standard, one of a great many which are hurled at the LDS Church everyday by such people. They can’t have it both ways. This strikes to the heart of the motives behind the website.

Kathy this site and a large percentage of the other anti-mormon websites utilize a technique called “yellow journalism” in order to incite you to fear and anger toward Mormons. Then, like this site, they politely encourage you to donate and help shield the world from the “Mormon scourge”. It would be laughable if intelligent people such as you didn’t fall for it so often.

But just simply looking at the horrid “Things Mormons Won’t Tell You” list is enough to turn ones stomach. The entire list is a travesty. I’ll try to capture it in percentages: 90% of the list is out right lies, 5% of the list is dishonest misrepresentation of doctrine and 5% of the list misrepresentation of quotes from previous Mormon leaders that isn’t doctrine.

Lastly, I wish we had more time to do justice to your great scripture references. But look at: Romans 8:17. Mathew 3:17 and Mark 14:34-35. How can we be Joint Heirs with Christ if Christ and God (Heavenly Father as we call him) are one and the same personage? In Matthew, those present witnessed evidence of all three personages (God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit), In the Garden, Christ wasn’t praying to himself and it wasn’t "setting an example” since no one was present or even a wake to here the prayer. It was a private moment between him and his Father. In fact, considering the subsequent events, it is highly probable that he didn’t even tell the Apostles what he actually prayed until after his resurrection.

Kathy, it is fine to have scriptural and doctrinal differences with Mormons, but don’t fall into the trap of believing any of the “anti-mormon” ministry websites. Form your own opinions based on what you learn yourself. Set down with actual missionaries and you’ll see, you may not agree with them, but they will NEVER LIE to you, Nothing could be further from the truth.

January 2, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. OJA

Has Huckabee hired Rove?

January 2, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. citizen_pain

It's perfectly OK for a draft dodging coward to swift boat a person who volunteered to fight for his country, but now the rethuglicans are whining and crying about this? Please!
    HYPOCRITES!

January 2, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  17. Jacques

As far as I can tell, this is absolutely part of american politics in the Karl Rove era. You guys really need to have a look from the outside, take a trip to France or something.

January 2, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Missmarple

Any American who is capable of voting should also be able to investigate both the candidates and the Church (if they so desire) for themselves

The problem is they don't!

January 2, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. John Doe

I wouldn't put it past Romney to have put this out himself, so he can claim he didn't.

January 2, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. Robert

I can't believe thjere are conservatives out there blaming the Clintons for this. Get over it, already! The only thing worse than unreasonable paranoia is outdated, unreasonable paranoia.
    This has Huckabee all over it. He's a bigger phony than Romney. Now that's saying a lot! Witness his antic this week in pulling a mean spirited attack ad on Romney but then showing it to the press just to show what a decent guy he really is. What a phony!!!

January 2, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. yanqui

Un-Freaking-believable! Not just the card, but some of the comments it has inspired. Okay, I'm LDS–a Mormon, if you please. So if you don't believe any of what I say here, you wouldn't believe me or any other Mormon anyway on any topic, including that which I use as my trade, which is technology. It's interesting that if you're a Mormon-basher, you wouldn't hire me to set up your home network if you knew I was a Mormon. Now would you? So let's address a few things. The offensiveness of the card was in the insinuation that the leadership of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is propagating racism, as evidenced by the boldness of the font used in the words "fair and white." Throughout the Old Testament, White always meant pure. REad it, it's pretty interesting. Mitt would use a Bible–because, guess what–WE READ THE BIBLE!!!! Many of your Mormon acquaintances are at least as familiar with both halves of it as you are; we devote a year to the study of the Old Testament in our Sunday services; the following year, we devote a year to the study of the New Testament. Interesting, isn't it? It's one of our Articles of Faith. (hmmmm....intersting phrase–google THAT!) Joseph Smith was shot in the back. What a brave act! Jumping from jail? No, as a matter of fact, the velocity of the shots propelled him out of the window. Weird underwear? I think thongs and waterbras are weird. Some people carry Rosary beads to help them remember covenants, we wear clothing items that do the same thing. If it works, what's the big deal? As for the "racist till 1978" issue, I didn't like that part when I was learning about the Church. And there's no way to explain it unless and until you're ready to really listen. So I won't bother and you'll attack that stand as well.

It's also important to note that Mormons don't believe that every Mormon will get to the highest level of favor with God. Mormons who don't live as they know they should just won't. And Baptists (and Methodists, and Pentecostals, etc.) who DO live as they know they should will stand in much better favor than a disobedient Mormon–and by disobedient, I mean disobedient to the word of God.

Mine is the only Church that invites its members to put the leadership to the test of truth–let God tell you what's true, don't take our word for it. Every other church I visited would not let that happen; it was a case of, "If the preacher says it, it must be true." There is room in the truth for scrutiny. We're open to yours.

January 2, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  22. yanqui

By the way, (Democratic) Senator Harry Reid is a Mormon. He and I disagree on a lot of things. But he is an American with the right to run for office and he was elected by people with the right to elect him. The LDS Church is not telling him what to do. If the LDS Church is telling Reid what to do, then it would also have to be telling (Republican) Senator Orrin Hatch what to do. How could that even be possible?

January 2, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Andrew

These Republicans would sell out their own Mothers! I am completely without shock.

January 2, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. m

This issue perfectly illustrates why church should be an individual issue of personal faith and belief and the state should be independent of religion and tolerant of all. By dragging god into politics we open a political debate over which beliefs are correct, worthy or acceptable. We get political candidates trying to to boast about their faith versus anothers or making elections a referendum on god. There is a good reason that religious tolerance and a separation of church and state were hallowed principles of the founders of the United States. They didn't say GOD should be separate from the state (its a nation under God, of course) they just said the CHURCH or brand of faith should be separated from the state.

If we don't follow this, we digress to comments like that from "Steve Blaine" abover saying that "Mormonism is not Christian, no mater what kind of spin any of you put on it" (if they believe and follow the teachings of Christ, they ARE by DEFINITION christian Mr. Blaine, that's a fact and not an opinion. And "SPIN" is a political term, not a fair way to describe a spiritual belief - even one you are intolerant and ignorant about. Mr Blaine refers to "My Bible" which he seems to think means it is THE bible and the only religious text of value. And then he goes for the most empty "conclusion" that "because these doctrines are contrary to traditional Christian belief (again, traditional = what he thinks = only correct and worthy view) and says "people who identify themselves as Christian will not vote for a Mormon". Mr Blaine does that mean that unless someone's faith makes them as intolerant and self-righteous as you are they are not "real Christians". Do me a favor and reconcile the words of Jesus with this kind of intolerance and feel free to use YOUR BIBLE to do so.

And "for the record" you are completely wrong that "people are sworn into office by "the Bible because that Book is the religious standard in America". People are sworn into office by their solemn personal OATH and AFFIRMATION and a bible or any other religious text is the personal choice of the one making the oath. If you missed it, this issue was freshly visited last year when Rep. Keith Ellison, a practicing Muslim, elected to take his oath of office for Congress last year on a Koran once owned by Thomas Jefferson. It is unbeliveably poignant that the author of our constitution who enshrined a reverence for the one true God as separate from the petty fights between various churches and beliefs was himself tolerant enough to own and learn from a religious text of another culture. How powerful this made Ellison's choice to swear his allegiance to the CONSTITUTION of the US (not ANY religious belief) and to also asked for divine help by saying "so help me God" in accordance with his PERSONAL private faith. And how clearly it also showed the intolerance those who attacked him for his faith not being the "right one" or thinking he didn't use the "right book".

January 2, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  25. Alec Timmerman

The hypocracy and irony of it all is that Mitt explicitly made his faith part of the campaign. Rightfully, his religion should have nothing to do with this campaign, but he wants it both ways. He makes statements like no freedom without religion, and no religion without freedom, asserting religion into a discussing where it does not belong. Romney and the religious right degenerated this campaign into this stuff. Maybe if he had the courage of Kennedy, he could complain with some sort of authority, but Mitt got exactly what Mitt wanted.

January 2, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |