December 31st, 2007

Superman swoops in to defend Obama

Iowa-born actor Brandon Routh (aka Superman) stumped for Obama Sunday.

Iowa-born actor Brandon Routh (aka Superman) stumped for Obama Sunday.

INDIANOLA, Iowa (CNN) - He may be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but Superman can’t caucus.

Actor and Iowa native Brandon Routh is better-known for his role as Superman, but Sunday night he made a cameo appearance on the campaign trail, speaking on behalf of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama at a rally in Indianola, Iowa.

Routh says he is "sad" that he can't caucus any more because he no longer lives in the Hawkeye State, but he says he's "excited" by Obama's ability to unite the country. He also says he likes that Obama is not taking money from lobbyists or special interests.

Routh says he hopes his visit will empower people to caucus for Obama.

Routh is a former fashion model turned actor. He appeared on several television series before being cast as the title hero in the 2006 film Superman Returns.

–CNN Political Producer Matt Hoye

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa
  1. in iraq

some of you are such sheep. "hes not experienced enough". thats where all of the problems start. its the seasoned politicians that are the most corrupt and subversive. hes not experienced enough is just propaganda. look at bush. that guy is a moron and a criminal and he managed to get whatever he wanted done for 8 years. you dont think obama cant get things done? dont be such a sheep.

December 31, 2007 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  2. Jeff Burke

Who is going to save Obama when he stands before God and faces responsibility for supporting a policy of legalized abortion that has murdered over 40 million innocent babies? And you are just as guilty if you vote for him.

December 31, 2007 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  3. Reed

Obama is the only candidate who beat Alan Keyes in a head to head election.

December 31, 2007 07:07 am at 7:07 am |
  4. Gracey Knowle, Dallas

Faster than a speeding bullet? Well that counts out Vince Foster.

Saves ladies in distress? Well there goes Ted Kennedy too.

December 31, 2007 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  5. lw

go obama

December 31, 2007 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  6. Jeremy, Jacksonville Fl

Hurray for Superman. I wish he could caucus for Obama ; that would be awesome.

Obama 08

December 31, 2007 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  7. Derek Young

I am bemused by the political naivety some of the posts here. There is no credible scenario – none – in which Hillary Clinton can beat Giuliani or McCain in the general. She's too extremist on policy, too scarred with the problems and baggage of the Bill Clinton administration, and people just don't like or trust her. Since some posters have criticised Barack Obama's lack of executive experience, it's a fair question to ask, where's Hillary's executive experience? Being First Lady, of the US or of Arkansas, surely does not count. In her seven years in the Senate she has achieved less than Obama has in three. Her greatest claims to fame are standing by her man on 60 Minutes, and messing up healthcare reform so badly it brought Newt Gingrich to the world. For the Democrats to choose Hillary over Obama would be the worst kind of cynical, pessimistic, old-style, self-harm that has cost them seven of the last ten presidential races. As Democratic caucusers in Iowa and voters in New Hampshire contemplate their choices, they should bear in mind that one candidate, Obama, represents hope and progress, and the other, Hillary, represents the same old story of doing the wrong things badly.

December 31, 2007 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  8. Joann, Cranston RI

Never heard of Brandon Routh – Christopher Reeves is and will be the only good superman we had. I don't care what celebrities want to vote for Obama – I'm not!!

December 31, 2007 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  9. No oprhabama

If I were a Muslim, I would let you know, " Obama said in Dubuque, Iowa, recently, according to CNN.com. "But I'm a member of Trinity United Church of Christ What Obama's Church Preaches, Erik Rush researches Hussein Obama's church, Trinity United Church of Christ. One could argue that this organization worships things African to a far greater degree than they do Christ,gives the impression of being separatist "church" in the same vein as do certain supremacist "white brethren" churches – or even Louis Farrakhan's Nation of Islam. Shocking? An overstatement? One can see for oneself on the Trinity United Church website, which is replete with confirmation of what I present here. An excerpt from their Mission Statement: "We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community. Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:
    1. Commitment to God 2. Commitment to the Black Community 3. Commitment to the Black Family 4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education 5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence 6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic 7. Commitment to self-Discipline and Self-Respect 8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness" 9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community 10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions 11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System 12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System." Sound familiar? Of course it is, since it's identical to the 12-point list from theoretical white supremacist candidate's church;

December 31, 2007 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  10. golfrnsavh

Barrack Hussein Obama can't even unite his own party, much less the country. He is an empty suit.

December 31, 2007 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  11. rdierker

Superman is only supporting Obama because they are both superheroes. Maybe he wants him to join Super Friends. Everybody wants to save the world!

Obama 08!

December 31, 2007 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  12. pace en terra

I should think that "Underdog" would be the most suitable "super hero "for this or any of the Democratic candidates. Ron Paul lives and may his constitutional movement live on forever!

December 31, 2007 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  13. JoCr

Superman takes out the opponents. He doesn't negotiate with them. Perhaps Obama could learn something from the super idol.

Or he could join John Edwards's ticket as VP, learn about the presidency from the inside, and be a super idol president in 2016. If he did that, he could very well be the best president we've ever had.

December 31, 2007 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. Clinton is an opportunist

Hillary Clinton won't win the Democratic nomination and if she does this Democrat won't be voting for President because I will NEVER vote for her and cannot vote for Republicans. It will be a sad day for the Democratic Party if Hillary Clinton gets the nomination and it will weaken our party. There isn't a chance she will win the general election because the Republicans won't be voting for her, many Democrats won't be voting for her and the Independents are still out.

On the other hand, Obama will be able to get the support of every Democrat, will be able to persuade many Republicans to vote for him and will get a lot of the independent vote. We can talk about how Hillary Clinton doesn't have any real experience compared to Obama, we can talk about how she has failed to take a real stand on the issue and we can talk about how she is using her husband's Presidency as a way of saying, "even though I have no real experience myself my husband was President therefore you should vote for me."

How many times must we hear this. What's next? Chelsea Clinton or one of the Bush twins telling us "my father was President so you should vote for me because I spent 8 years as the daughter of a President?" My bad, Chelsea could say that her family controlled the White House for 16 years if Clinton wins and gets re-elected. We can then talk about the Bush/Clinton dynasties for decades.

December 31, 2007 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  15. Vince, Phoenix AZ

It is truly a sad day when the level of "debate" and discourse in our great country reaches this new low. Super-oversimplifications that give cover to super-petty (even below the belt and snotty) jabs. Some of the "logic" in posts here can't be followed with a map and a compass. Others display a level of ignorance that exposes such closed minds, that if JESUS endorsed Obama, people woud say STICK TO SAVIORIN' and stay out of politics. Two things can be gleaned from all this hate: 1) You've never listened to a word the man has said
    2) You don't care to, as long as your guy/gal wins.

DEMOCRACY.... AIN'T IT JUST GRAND!!!

December 31, 2007 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  16. mitch

You mean Oprah isn't a special interest?

December 31, 2007 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  17. Marc

Just like in the movie, citizens of the USA are asking where Superman has been for the past 8 years, letting Bush win two elections and putting our great country in peril. Now he's back to save the day!

December 31, 2007 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. Cyndi

Wow Scott form Des Moines. You couldn't be more wrong. Obama cares a great deal.

I'm from Chicago and have known this kind and noble man since 2002. He has served our state well.

I can't believe how cyncial everyone has become with name calling. Such bitterness and rancor - I feel sad for our country. When a true and good liberal Christian comes along - it is hard to accept I know. (Yes, his church is a black church expousing black issues - the congregration is black that's why.)

A new day is dawning. Be kind to yourselves America. God bless.

December 31, 2007 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  19. JohnC

This is just another example of Obama getting a free ride off the press.

Why use the superman image, and that he "swoops in"?

I don't know anything about Obama except his preferential treatment from the press.

December 31, 2007 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  20. Average Joe in America

politico December 31, 2007 12:47 am ET

"I love so much about Obama, but I hated the divisive figurative rhetoric used on "Meet the Press" this morning:

1.) Clinton is the "master in charge of a broken system;"

2.) Voters are "lifting the hoods" of the other candidates — "checking the tires" was lost.

Whether intentional or not, these expressions are racially charged, and no candidate who expresses such has ever, or will ever, get my vote."

Hey politico I didn't watch the show. So what you are saying is that there may have been a subtle message of slavery and triplek – that went right over the heads of most white bread Americans – which may have been aimed at the brothers & sisters? Many African American leaders don't feel that Obama connects with the average black voter b/c he was essentially raised white = in a middle class white neighborhood, went to an exclusive 97% white school, white Ivy League colleges... then finally found his roots in adulthood. AND now lives in one of the most liberal neighborhoods in Chicago – Hyde Park by the University of Chicago. (and I guess you know that his grandmother in Kenya does NOT live in a tiny mud hut either)

On the other hand, to a lot of older whites the black solidarity gesture still reminds them of the radical Black Panthers!! When Oprah, Michelle, and Obama stood on stage in SC and raised their fists in black unity, many felt it kind of smacked of reverse racism - especially when Oprah invoked Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech...

All politicians use sound bytes and spin, Obama included – he just manages to get away with more of it b/c so far he has been the darling of the media. Would be a much harsher glare if he gets the nomination. The difference is between having experience and not having ENOUGH experience. On-the-job training is for starting at the bottom in the mail room and working your way up. Top CEOs aren't hired fresh out of grad-school!!

What I'm actually hearing is the "SAME OLD MANTRA of the 60's' = "don't trust anyone over 30" – "never trust the establishment" and "all we are saying, is give peace a chance".... LOL guess life has come full circle and now all the little chillin' THINK they are the ones who came up with these really ~ancient~ cliques" hahaha
    ;) Another dawning of the age of Aquarius looming on the horizon?? PEACE bro

December 31, 2007 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Kathy Farmer Newnan, Georgia

Wow. Sounds like there are a lot of angry, uninformed, and really stupid people who are reading this article. I agree...Who is this guy Routh? I've never heard of him, but I am not a fan of Superman. I have heard of Obama...and I am not a fan of him either! I, too, suggest that his confused supporters stop looking only skin deep at his race and dig deeper into his beliefs and find out the real truth about this man whom they want to elect as President of this country. The United States of Amercia was founded on Christian principles and over the last 200 years, these Christian principles have been thrown out the window. Obama was photographed refusing to even say the Pledge of Allegiance to our flag! That speaks volumes to me. George W. Bush may not be the favorite of the world now, but I do believe that he is a God-fearing man who has the beliefs in his heart that support the foundations of this country. I will not support any of the Democratic candidates...to me they are all pitiful! I feel that it is time for God to take control of this country and show us all who is really in control. For those of you who believe in Superman and Oprah...you probably believe in Santa Claus too! Well, let me tell you...if you think Santa makes a list and checks it twice...you'd better be concerned with the list that God is taking of your actions and attitudes towards this world that HE created. No one can lead this country the way HE can and I feel that whomever is elected President should be man enough to recognize this and man enough to proclaim his beliefs without worrying about all of the people who will be offended. Hell is going to be full of people who will not accept Jesus Christ one day...and Obama, Superman, and Oprah can lead them!

December 31, 2007 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. Cyndi

America, be kind to yourelf in this glorious new year.

Yes there is cynism and fear, but I have known Obama since 2002, he is good and kind man.

I realize that it hard to acccept a liberal Christian from an all black church, but nobiliity emerges in beautiful ways.

We are at risk to overlook the good in each other and to be trampled by the distrust.

I know I sound naive, but I know this man to be good.

December 31, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  23. zachterry

Yeah, but he's no Chuck Norris.

December 31, 2007 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. Vince Foster

Osama and Ruth - what a dynamic duo!!!

December 31, 2007 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  25. VIDAL, MEMPHIS, TN

Thanks Don, from Houston Texas... I couldn't have said it better!

PEACE/LOVE '08