January 1st, 2008

CNN's Ballot Bowl: Unfiltered views of the candidates

Catch Ballot Bowl all day on CNN.

Catch Ballot Bowl all day on CNN.

(CNN) - With just days for Thursday's Iowa caucuses, CNN takes an unfiltered look at each of the presidential candidates in the first New Year's Day Ballot Bowl.

Starting this week, the candidates are entering a five-week spring that will likely decide the Democratic and Republican presidential nominees.

After the Iowa caucuses, New Hampshire will hold the the nation's first primary just five days later on January 8. Michigan will hold it's primaries on January 15.

Full story

Filed under: Ballot Bowl
  1. susie

It never fails , cnn always cuts off when obama speaks, why is that ? MSNBC is now what are family will be watching!!!!!

January 1, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. Linda

I was watching your coverage and listening to the candidates (at the time John Edwards) when suddenly you cut off his coverage and put on the "very important" coverage of Hucklebee playing the guitar. Come on - get real–this is not a deciding factor for being President!!

January 1, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Patricia Steele

I just caught Ron Paul finally getting due coverage on CNN Ballot Bowl . It's about time that the main media allowed TV listeners to hear his points instead of always having to rely on internet to get info about his platform.

January 1, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Duncan, Richmond, VA

"CNN takes an unfiltered look "

What exactly does that mean? Unfiltered? Does it mean you might actually report on Ron Paul or that you will put some effort into reporting on him correctly.

I used to respect CNN as a serious news outlet, but I have seen in your reporting of Ron Paul that you not that far from Fox News.. ie, bad.

January 1, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. Darleen Haynes

Your unfiltered views from candidates is a terrific public service. But When do we get to hear Hillary? For the last hour I have heard Huckabee, Romney and Edwards. I have not h eard Hillary's name even mentioned. Want to hear them all, and certainly Senator Clinton.
    Darleen Haynes

January 1, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Larry Buchas, New Britain, CT

CNN's "unfiltered coverage" has been on for about 5 hours. They had Obama on ONCE, introducing staffers.

Nothing like a balanced format, as usual!

Hey CNN, whatever happened to Dennis Kucinich? All I remember is he believes in UFO's?

January 1, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. pic

did m. rommey back & quote a leader by saying ' America is unique in never taking land after war '??? How about the Indian territory, Spanish/American War, etc.

January 1, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Wood, Chesapeake VA

Susie, quit whining get a life.

January 1, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. EJ, Yorktown, NY

I keep watching your coverage of the candidates and find that nothing much is happening. This appears to be a great idea , BALLOT BOWL, ROSE BOWL, BALLOT BOWL, ROSE BOWL...BUT Sorry to say.....Michigan and Florida are battling...sure wish the candidates could give us that kind of show...
    I need to be there to throw out my questions and concerns...so maybe it is not fair to comment or be so critica, BUT.... The audience seems tongue tied....who cares how the family reacted to Hucabee's weight lost. DAAAAAAA

January 1, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. Heather, Murrieta Ca

Thank you for this wonderful special!

January 1, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  11. Scott Chandler

Please , don't put Hillary in the white house. It will be the biggest mistake the american voter can make since Jimmy carter .

January 1, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. Ed,Ellenville,New York

It's nice to hear the candidates speak freely. Didn't anyone tell them they're being broadcast?

January 1, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. revolutioncalling

I watch the political coverage of CNN, but the coverage I see is difficult to believe. CNN is covering these politicians like they cover celebrities. It's easy to forget these people are running for political office. They cover how the candidates feel about each other and how they feel about the voters. Political issues are only referred to in the abstract. Candidates talk about how they want "change" and why the voters should trust them to bring "change". They say "I can change things in Washington" and that is about the extent of the coverage of politics. Every petty, snide remark made by the candidates towards each other is considered a scandal and harped on extensively by the media. I noticed the media's unwillingness to discuss or report on any of the important political issues like the falling dollar or the war in Iraq. Then, a reporter would announce that the public is not interested in political issues and they only base their votes on the candidates personalities and how they feel about their leadership abilities in general.

This is the type of coverage you would expect from a 5th grade class. The reporters don't understand political issues and don't know the difference between unemployment and inflation. They don't understand the war in Iraq and why we are there or what we are trying to accomplish. So they report on anything else they observe in the campaigns and stay far away from anything related to those confusing political issues.

VL

January 1, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. Jen, Gainesville, FL

Interestingly, CNN did not report the last Des Moines Register poll released last night. Obama is 32%, Clintion is 25%, and Edwards is 24%. For the second choice, Obama is 28%, Clinton is 20%, and Edwards is 19%.

January 1, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. james h

Hey, give us more of Huck. I like to see him and especially hear him. America needs him. Thanks

January 1, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  16. Edna

Here we go again, Huckabee throwing the rock and hiding his hand. He wonders if Mormans believe Jesus and the devil are brothers (even the most ignorant child would not believe that story and he Huckabuck is a minister); He pardons numerous criminals, but it wasn't his fault; He highlighted a bookcase in the form of a cross for Christmas, but it was just a bookcase; He was going to show a negative campaign message but changed his mind. Even though I am not going to vote for McCann, I have much more respect for him, as he had the courage to actually draw a cross in plain site and acknowledge that he did it. Much like the Billary campaign, Huckabee presents himself as one of those children on the playground who stands behind someone and hits you in the head while your back is turned and then acts as though he didn't do it. I thought we were trying to get away from the sneaky, deceitful politics and enter into real change. After all that's what every candidate is talking about isn't it?

January 1, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Alan

Does anyone else thing Huckabee reminds them of Gomer Pyle? The only difference I see is Gomer Pyle was smarter.

January 1, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  18. DeVon

I have lived in Arkansas for the past 33 years. I saw what Hilary was like while Bill was Governor, no way will I vote for her, she abandoned Arkansas (and so did Bill) when his last term as president was over and somehow convinced New York that she was a Resident of that state. How? IF she is elected (God forbid) what will she do next, Convince Canada that she is a citizen and run for office there?

I just saw Mike Huckabee on CNN saying that WE THE PEOPLE are the ruling class and that elected officials are our servants, that we don't want Uncle Sam telling us how to raise our children that parents can do a better job of raising our children that the government could. He should have thought that way when he was governor here. He pushed for and instituted weight monitoring for our kids in school, this I consider an invasion of privacy and parental rights. He lost 100 lbs while in office, he says by diet and exercise, and got onto a big health kick.

I don't consider Hillary to be a viable candidate, she was first lady of Arkansas then first lady of America then she was a senator for New York for 4 years. I don't see how this qualifies her to be President.

During Mike Huckabee's time as governor he was doing the opposite of what he now says he stands for.

January 1, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Rick McCarthy

I'm looking for more Ron Paul coverage! I see someone posted about seeing him on CNN, but I've been watching and I still haven't seen him yet. I want more Ron Paul coverage please.

January 1, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. James L.

Here are my predictions. Take note, people.

Iowa, GOP:
    1. McCain
    2.Romney
    3.Huckabee

Iowa, Dems:
    1. Edwards
    2.Richardson
    3.Biden
    (Obama and Clinton will STUN the pollsters and pundints by coming in 3rd and 4th)

NH,GOP:
    1. McCain
    2. Romney
    3. Guilliant

NH, Dems:
    1. Edwards
    2. Biden
    3. Obama

January 1, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. James L.

Yeah...I ment to type Clinton and Obama will come in 4th and 5th. :)

January 1, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. David, Oregon City

Iowa poll numbers are starting to emerge with Mike Huckabee 2 to 1 over Mitt Romney. It appears in the final moments before the polls, Iowa voters are looking for a candidate with integrity rather than money.

January 1, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. Duncan, Richmond, VA

How anyone can be complaining about the lack of coverage for Clinton or Obama is beyond my obvious limited comprehension.

January 1, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. action jackson

Health care in the US is too expensive and leaves 46 million Americans without insurance and millions more underinsured. Dennis Kucinich is the only candidate for President with a plan for a Universal, Single-Payer, Not-for-Profit health care system.

January 1, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. marsha

Why didn't Obama placed his hand over his heart during the Pledge of
    Allegiance? Does he not belive in the flag of the United States of America?
    I would appreciate knowing the answers to these questions so I can better
    get and idea about who I want to vote for.

January 1, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |