January 1st, 2008

Elizabeth Edwards 'disappointed' with Michelle Obama

Elizabeth Edwards isn't happy with Michelle Obama.

Elizabeth Edwards isn't happy with Michelle Obama.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The sharpened rhetoric between Democrats John Edwards and Barack Obama isn't just limited to the candidates themselves - the two hopefuls' wives are also getting in on the action.

Elizabeth Edwards isn't happy with what Michelle Obama is saying on the campaign trail about the effects of John Edwards' decision to accept federal matching funds for his presidential campaign.

"I'm surprised and disappointed in Michelle," Mrs. Edwards said at a campaign event Monday night.

Mrs. Edwards comments were spurred by a voter recounting a conversation Mrs. Obama had with his 17 year-old daughter, claiming the Illinois senator's wife told his daughter not to support Edwards because the spending caps he is subjected to for accepting federal campaign money will seriously hinder his chances in a general election.

For his part, John Edwards discounted the argument that his limited campaign funds are hurting his presidential bid.

"It scares them to death, because what they know is, what this candidate and this campaign stands for is working," he said. "Can I ask you a question? If they have more money, and money's what matters, then why are they worrying about me?"

– CNN's Kevin Bohn and Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Iowa • John Edwards
  1. Griselda Brown

This is for Michelle Obama, the rear view mirror image of John Edwards is closer than you think......If John Edwards is not a threat to Mr. Obama, why is his wife attacking him with lies....Shame on you Michelle Obama, I thought you had better class than that. If Obama wins the nomination for the democrates, I will vote for the other side.

From Galveston, Texas

January 1, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Jacque Bauer, Los Angeles, CA

I am so sick of these Deomocratic surrogate candidates (Elizabeth, Michelle, Hillary). Why don't they just leave the politcal business to the REAL candidates. You don't see any of the Republican candidate's spouses trying to grab the spotlight, because they know that this is highly inappropriate.

Elizabeth Edwards is even more frightening than her linguini-spined husband.

January 1, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. Ken, Caldwell - NJ

Useless article. Who cares! Why don't you talk more about Edward's policies seeing as they are the most completed and extensive of anyone running. And I'm not even sold on him!

January 1, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  4. NEW YORK, NEW YORK

I CANT BELIEVE THE DEGREE OF THESE REDICOULOUSLY NASTY REMARKS ABOUT JOHN EDWARDS -

THERE MUST BE A PACK OF RETARDS READING THESE STORIES....YOU SHOULD HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR JOHN EDWARDS YOU MISERABLE PACK OF FREAKS - HIS WIFE HAS CANCER, HE LOST ONE OF HIS CHILDREN, HE DOESNT COOME FROM A PRIVILEGED BACKGROUND AND YOU'RE WRONG WHEN YOU STATE THAT HE DIIDNT HELP JOHN KERRY - THAT ELECTION LIKE THE PREVIOUS WON WAS STOLEN - MORON ; KERRY ACTUALLY WON BUT DECIDED NOT TO DISPUTE THE QUESTIONABLE RESULTS...

FURTHEMORE JOHN EDWARDS JUST GOT BACKED BY RALPH NADER!!!!!

YOU'RE ARGUEMENTS ARE STUPID AND ACTUALLY SOUND CHILDISH AND SOMEWHAT RACIST....OBAMA'S APPEAL IS THAT HE IS RIGHT ON THE ISSUES, WHATEVER HAPPENS AT THE CAUCUASES THE TRUTH IS THAT EDWARDS HAS BEEN SHOWN IN THE POLLS TO BEAT ALL THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATES IN THE ELECTION, NO OTHER DEMOCRAT HAS BEEN SHOWN TO DO THAT - SO THE TRUTH IS HE HAS AN EXTREMELY GOOD CHANCE OF WINNING - IF THE ELECTION ISNT FIXED AGAIN....

AS FOR NOW - I JUST DECIDED NOT TO CAUCUS FOR OBAMA SINCE I HEARD HIM TODAY PANDERING TO THE RIGHT AND CALLING AMADINEJHAD A "NUT" - THIS REMARK PROVED,TODAY, TO ME THAT HE WILL NOT PROVE TO BE AN EFFECTIVE LEADER INTERNATIONALLY ...YOU DONT TALK ABOUT IMPLEMENTING DIPLOMATIC STRATEGIES AND REFER TO THE PERSON YOU ARE TRYING TO COME TO AN AGREEMENT WITH AS A "NUT."

ESPECIALLY WHEN THAT "SO CALLED" "NUT" WAS DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED....AND MOST OF THE STORIES THAT YOU READ IN THE PAPER ARE FALSE – MAINLY BECAUSE HE IS NOT IN VIOLATION OF ANY UN REAOLUTIONS OR INTERNATIONAL LAWS , AND READ THE NIE REPORT , DUMMY THEY HAVENT BEEN PURSUING NUCLEAR WEAPONS... A COMMENT LIKE THAT MAKES ME THIN K THAT OBAMA IS A NEOCON.

WHILE I INITIALLY SUPPORTED OBAMA - I HAVE DEFINITELY COMPLETETLY CHANGED MY MIND IN FAVOR OF EDWARDS; ESPECAILLY WHEN I READ SUCH SAMLL MINDED VICIOUS COMMENTS....I HAD BEEN DECIDING BETWEEN THOSE 2. –

January 1, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. eddie

AND PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK JOHN EDWARDS GET A $400 HAIR CUT WHILES SOME KID IN NEW ORLEANS IS HUNGRY. HE IS OVER 25O MILLION DOLLARS RICH AND OWNS HEDGE FUNDS AND THEN TALK ABOUT COORPERATE GREED. YOU MUST BE STUPID TO VOTE FOR HIM. THE CONSTITUTION SAYS CONGRESS MAKES THE LAW AND THE PRESIDENT SIGNS OR VETO JOHN EDWARDS CANT DO ANYTHING UNLESS HE HAVE MAJORITY IN CNGRESS BOTH HIM AND HILL WILL LOOSE THE CONGRESS. CUZ THEY ARE TOO DEVICISE.....

January 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. Terri Canaday

BRAVO!!!! Elizabeth. I'm an Edwards supporter and I am very greatful that Elizabeth Edwards has the moxy to speak the truth in the face of a party that is becoming increasingly nonresponsive to its foundations. Help, the democratic party has been jijacked by the raging liberals riding the PC bandwagon. Thankyou, Elizabeth, for your voice of reason.

January 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  7. NEW YORK, NEW YORK

ALSO - THERE IS VERY LITTLE HOPE FOR EITHER OBAMA OR EDWARDS -

MARK MY WORDS THE PROCESS IS RIGGED FOR HILLARY CLINTON.....I DONT SUPPORT HER AT ALL BUT THE POWERS THAT BE – THE CORPORATIONS - WILL GET HER THE NOMINATION

January 1, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  8. Nicholas in Atlanta

Ok, fair question...being that I've only been able to vote for a short time...but WHY EXACTLY am I supposed to CARE to hear from the candidates WIVES? Now don't get me wrong, I know Hillary is trying to use her time as First Lady as foreign policy experience, but I could care less if the President's wife is a house wife or a cashier at a grocery store or a lawyer with some large law firm in DC...who cares. I'd much rather have the candidates answer some questions that they don't have to have 24 hours in advance so that they may sit down with their speech writers to go over what answer to give and when to tear up or seem angry. I want a President who can think on his feet, who is more concerned with the safety of our nation than writing discrimination into our Constitution and who can at least name some of the current foreign leaders. It would be nice if he could keep up with current events on his own as well, you know a self-starter. I don't want a President who needs to be fed current events and his current beliefs, daily.

January 1, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  9. Elizabeth, Philadelphia, PA

I have given money to Obama's campaign three times, but I would LOVE Hillary as President. I just fear the GOP's slimy attacks; I think they will do her in–despite the fact that she is a genius, has years of experience, and a great man beside her (Bill was the best president we've had in far too many years and doubtless Hillary helped him, too.)

I really like Edwards, but I worry that he won't win these primaries, so I feel like it is a moot point to discuss him now. Yes, he could win the South, and a Dem will have to do that.

I like them all...I really think Joe Biden is great, but you never hear anything about him, unfortunately.

It all comes down to who can win. Let's get hte most electable Dem as our nominee. Democrats need to work together. Give money to the DNC, the DCCC, whomever you believe can win this. We MUST take back America.

January 1, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  10. William

I know she is getting cancer treatments, but Elizabeth does need to spend more time on her hair and makeup. She looks terrible, and really should be home with her children, instead of promoting her shady husband, who hopefully will never get elected.

January 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. aware

Vancouver writes: It kills me that NADER gets any press at all in the USA. His ego put W in the White House!! Thanks for IRAQ, Ralph. As an outsider looking in, I have seen things go from bad to worse in the USA.

As a former Vancouverite, I agree! I am now an American and I want to see things get better in the USA. Go Hillary!!

January 1, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  12. Todd

All I'll say is Good Bye George Bush and Hello Barack Obama!

January 1, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  13. Sheldon

I think that John Edwards should just give it up and support Obama. I think that John Edwards would make a good Vice President for Barack Obama, and a lot better one that Hillary Clinton.

With their experience with corrupt Washington they will be able to give Barack Obama advice on how to dismantle it since they know so much about it.

January 1, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  14. Linda, Chandler AZ

You are basing this story on a conversation that Michelle Obama "supposedly" had with a 17 year old girl??? I'm sorry, this is not credible. I don't even believe Michelle Obama said that in the first place. Shouldn't you have checked with her before you printed this drivel???

January 1, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. FV, Tampa, FL

Obama is an amatuer and a schmuck.

just remember THIS Iowans....

HILLARY was meeting with World leaders

when Obambam was still smoking pot in College.

He's Nowhere near as qualified as Clinton is.

PLUS add to the fact she's got the MOST SUCCESSFUL PRESIDENT OF THE LAST FIFTY YEARS sleeping on the other side of the bed.

Don't be a stupid Corn head...

VOTE FOR THE MOST QUALIFED!

VOTE FOR HILLARY!

January 1, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  16. Emmanuel.

All the politicians who believe the only way to win elections in the US is by smearing and name calling and falsely attacking their opponents usually who are better than them often do not accomplish anything, if you want evidence look at George Bush and the republican party who spent most of their campaigns attacking and destroying the character of John Kerry and John Mccain then. Tell me what have they accomplished for this country or regular Americans after nearly 8years in office.
    And for you folks who don't love yourself let alone anybody else or who don't appreciate any good thing cos you're incapable of doing any good; you can call Senator Obama all that you want but the truth remains that it does'nt change any bit the fact that the core decency of the majority of American people recognized the intelligence, honesty, integrity , competent leadership and sincere love for this country that is found in Sen Obama. Finally, as a CNN regular watcher I'm concerned that CNN would jump to report how senator Clinton leads Sen. Obama in the polls but when a credible poll has Obama leading that would not interest CNN. I don't know whether they're trying to be like Foxnews. If that's true then I'm done with CNN.

January 1, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  17. Gary

I do think we should consider the fact that the last time Edwards was running along with Kerry, he didn't even get close to winning either South Carolina or North Carolina, his home states. That's after already having represented North Carolina as Senator. Why is it that no one ever talks about his record as N.C. Senator? Also, Hillary always talks about her experience as first lady and New York Senator, what does she have to show for it. If you are going to tout your experience, and the lack there of for the other candidates, you should have something to show for it.

Also shame on you CNN, I felt like you under represented the latest Iowa poll today that showed Obama at least 7 points ahead of his closest opponent. However, yesterday when Edwards was ahead that was all you talked about. Why the double standards? I actually heard more about this new poll on Fox and MSNBC. I expect more from CNN....shame!!

Barack Obama 32%
    Hillary Clinton 25%
    John Edwards 24%

Finally, I believe all the Democrats are good people and would make a much better president than any of the Republicans running, as well as the one we have now by far. So whoever wins the Democratic nomination, they will have my support as an independent, in the final analysis… Good riddance George Bush!

I throw my support behind Barack Obama; someone I believe could unite this country, like never before, the red states, the blue states, and finally the rest of the world.

January 1, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  18. neil samarripa

A vote for Obama is a vote for a new republican president. GO HILLARY!!!

January 1, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  19. Carlos

This country will never elect a President with a name "Barack Hussein Obama".
    I am not afiliated to any party; however, if democrats make the mistake and elect Obama as their nominee, we will have a new Republican President January 2009. ..

Maybe in 8 years that would be possible, but not this year....

January 1, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  20. Lisa

Talk about inane garbage....comments about Elizabeth Edwards' hair and makeup when (1) she is trying to talk about presidential politics, not hair care products, and (2) she has cancer. Try applauding a strong woman who is persevering in the shadow of a terrible disease, please. Cosmetics will not turn this country around, people. Elizabeth Edwards, stay strong–we need bright people in this debate, unlike some CNN bloggers...............

PS–Nice touch from the person who called the Iowa citizens stupid Corn Heads.....another genius in our midst.

January 1, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. SASA

All we need in this country is to support the right person that will bring a big change to Washington than sitting on the side listening to these unfair media (CNN, FOX, ect.) . America needs a dramatic change in the interest of its people and creating a peaceful world for all.

January 1, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  22. Pandy

About time we had cat fight on the campaign. Get Hillary in the mix too..

January 1, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  23. JC

Obama has not gone after Edward's wife, Edward's wife should not go after his. Michelle's speech yesterday in Grinnell was very moving; she is great on the stump and would make an excellent first lady. Also the Edward's have $55 million–if they believe in the cause why not use that money to fund their campaign.

January 1, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  24. Elly

I DON'T LIKE NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNING AND WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANYONE WHO PARTICIPATES IN IT. THESE WIVES ARE NOT DOING THEIR HUSBANDS ANY FAVORS, FIGHTING THEIR HUSBAND'S BATTLES. I ADMIRED BILL CLINTON"S INTEGRITY WHEN ASKED HIS OPINION ABOUT THE OTHER CANDIDATES. HE HAD SOMETHING COMPLIMENTARY TO SAY ABOUT EACH ONE. BUT HE HAS ALWAYS SAID THAT IN HIS OPINION HILLARY WOULD MAKE AN EXCELLENT PRESIDENT.
    AFTER 8 YEARS OF BUSH, I SHOULD THINK THAT WE WOULD VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE WITH THE MOST INTELLIGENCE. I KNOW THAT MANY OF THE CANDIDATES HAVE LAW DEGREES AND HILLARY IS ONE OF THEM, BUT SHE HAS THE DISTINCT HONOR OF HAVING BEEN TWICE NAMED AS ONE OF THE TOP 100 LAWYERS IN THE COUNTRY. IMAGINE HOW MANY MEN SHE BEAT OUT. SHE WAS ALSO CHOSEN TO BE ON THE WATERGATE COMMISSION. AS A MATE OF THE PRESIDENT, SHE HAS MET MANY HEADS OF STATE . WHEN SHE WAS STILL IN SCHOOL, SHE WORKED FOR UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILDREN AND WAS INTERESTED IN HEALTH CARE FOR THEM.
    SHE IS VERY WELL LOVED BY THE PEOPLE SHE SERVED AS SENATOR OF NEW YORK AND HAS MORE OF A BLACK FOLLOWING THAN OBAMA. GO GIRL!

January 1, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  25. Sandy

Obama wants change in Washington where MONEY determines everything because those who have the MONEY can pay the lobbiest. I am very disappointed in Barack and Michelle. I thought he was going to change a system that is corrupted by those with the MONEY and that he had supposedly spent his young life helping those without MONEY. Now he is attacking the guy who doesn't have enough MONEY. So, what he is really saying to young people especially poor minorities is that unless you have a lot of MONEY or freinds like Oprah with lots of MONEY, you can never be President of the United States of America. Thanks Michelle for killing the Dream. To those of you who are attacking a cancer patient who fights every day for her life and the life of others whould look in the mirror. Has politics in this country become so nasty that we the infermed among us. Why is Hillary a women standing silent while her supporters attack another women for her apperarance. I guess we really haven't come that far afterall.

January 1, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |