January 2nd, 2008

Clinton to lead off Letterman

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican Mike Huckabee won't be the only presidential candidate on late night television Wednesday.

Democrat Hillary Clinton is set to make a surprise appearance on The Late Show With David Letterman, the New York senator's campaign confirms.

According to the campaign, Clinton has taped a couple lines for the top of the show - Letterman's first since the beginning of the writer's strike two months ago.

– CNN's Candy Crowley and Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Martha

I wish some of you people would learn to get your facts before you decided you want to open your mouth or write about something you think you know about...FYI

The writers for Letterman have reached a deal.....
    if you do not like Clinton you just do not like her....No need to find an excuse as to why
    that is if you yourselves even know why.....

After reading all of these comments, It seems to me that the informed people are for Sen. Clinton and......as for the rest.....well they just are....

GO CLINTON 08!

January 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. NW

Who cares about Letterman, anyway? The real humor & worthwhile shows to watch are on Comedy Central... both Stewart and Colbert are back on January 7th.

January 2, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. Martha

I wish some of you people would learn to get your facts before you decide you want to open your mouth or write about something you think you know ...FYI

The writers for Letterman have reached a deal.....
    that is if you yourselves even know why.....

GO CLINTON 08!

January 2, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. Robert New York City & Miami, Florida

Go Hillary. You are my GIRL!

AND TO THE PERSON THAT SAID, OBAMA IS GONNA MOP THE FLOOR WITH HER TOMORROW BECAUSE SHE WILL LOOSE IN IOWA:

BILL CLINTON LOST IOWA NAD STILL BECAME P R E S I D E N T !

January 2, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  5. Carol in Iowa

As always, get the facts-she is not crossing any picket lines-contrary she is supporting the show that supports unions and has already settled with their writers. Get all the facts before your voice inaccuracies. Spend the time and do your research on all the candidates of our party and make an educated decision.
    I have and it's GO HILLARY for me.

January 2, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  6. Bruce Taylor

Dear Mariann,
    You are making a very big false assumption. If Obama can win two of the first three states,or better yet all three,this will shake the Democratic Party to its core. Clinton cannot gather swing Republicans or Independents in the national setting of the November election. Obama can. Until Democrats realize that California and New York are not the only two states in the union, they will continue to come up short in November. Hubert Humphrey is John Kerry is Hillary Clinton. The lemmings will not go to the cliff this time if they wish to win. Obama can win in the autumn. Hillary Clinton is the autumn. It is the time for the Democratic Party to seek its future,its spring if you will,not its autumn.

January 2, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  7. James, Iowa

It seems to me that a lot of Republicans are trying to make Hillary look bad so they won't have to deal with her in November. I can see why they would be so afraid to face her in a general election. My hunch is their dirty tricks will back fire on them.

Hillary '08.

January 2, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  8. Pete, Denver, Colorado

As I have said in other comments, she is an opportunist. And as for the unions, they served a purpose decades ago, but why now? They just continue to raise the cost of doing business beyond what is necessary...and it flies in the face of a free market economy. Do what others do, either renegotiate without big brothers help or go elsewhere, like big boys and girls do.

January 2, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  9. union person

Jason Joel and Rob,
    Get your facts straight!
    communist countries do not have unions or guilds.
    Communist do not like unions!
    Communists were defeated in Poland without a war by a union!
    The places that do not like the unions are third world poor countries with a very rich minority, communist countries, and southern right to work for less states!

January 2, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  10. FAIR TAX,LA.

SORRY, HILLARY IS A SICK PUPPY!!

January 2, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. Ginny, Byron, CA

Judging by the low, vitriolic, hateful blogs written by the Obama fans, it appears they are getting pretty hysterical. Their messages don't support Obama and lack any merit whatsoever. They just rip into Hillary. Really, it's just a lot of trash talk. It sounds to me as though they've put all their eggs in one basket: Iowa. I hope they realize that even if their boy wins Iowa, its only one out of fifty. They should consider that one of the states with the largest number of electoral votes is California, and that's pretty much Hillary country. And for good reason: we know she's obviously the brightest, best qualified, and most experienced, and we need her strength and steady hand to lead our country during this critical time in our nation's history.
    HILLARY 08!

January 2, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  12. GREG KLINE

Hillary is the democrat of choice by the corporatists. She is not middle-class friendly. She is, however, inconsistent, mediocre, poll-chasing, and fairly cold. She is also massively polarizing. I think an Obama/Edwards ticket would do wonders for this country, which very much needs to heal. I personally know quite a few Republicans that truly despise Hillary, but actually like Obama.

January 2, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  13. Christine Atlanta, Ga.

I spoke to a dozen Democrats today at Whole Foods (Atlanta, Ga.) White and non white folks, and they are all going for Hillary. They also are aware that the big Obama push comes from Republicans who know they can defeat him in the General Election. When Sean Hannity is talking up Obama, it's not because he is going to vote for him.

Hillary is my girl.

January 2, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. J. McKinney SW MO

GO, HILLARY!! Looking forward to your win in Iowa, and then cleaning up on each additional primary as they come up.

January 2, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  15. Ann Marie Lochner

Letterman is the smartest man in television as he is the ONLY man able to negotiate a win/win resolution with the writers. This indicates that he is also the most respected man in television. As both, he has asked HILLARY CLINTON to appear on his first show. I agree with the smartest supporter of America's unon workers and I respect his choice of candidates. Vote with David Letterman: HILLARY CLINTON, President of the United States and leader of the free world!

Vote for the smartest candidate and the one who has fought hardest for America and her workers – the PEOPLE of the United States of America!! Examine – no, thoroughly investigate her 35 years of service and you'll find the RESULTS of Hillary's successful FIGHTS FOR THE PEOPLE of our world.

January 2, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  16. GG, Frisco, Texas

It's time for Change and Consistency.

January 2, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  17. Jonathan, UT

I despise the idea of Hill/Billy as president but get your facts right. Not only does Letterman's production company have a deal with their writers, she's staying in Iowa. They're just going to show some pre-recorded messages. On the other hand, Huckabeen IS crossing picket lines. Probably to whine some more about losing to Romney.

January 2, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  18. GG, Frisco, Texas

Why not just stay away from both Letterman & Leno, the caucus in tomorrow and the Iowan (most) have made up their minds. They both come off a little desperate to me.

January 2, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  19. Rob

Nadeem
    Don't apologize-Hillary doesn't. She deserves whatever name you can think because she is another one of those Clinton people.

January 2, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  20. Amanda Stevenson

Huckabee should consider a career in stand-up as Arkansas won't take him back!

After he released OVER ONE THOUSAND criminals without any legal education and poor decision making!!

In Arkansas Mike's decisions could not hurt us much, but if he were to lead our nation, no one knows the impact!

I recall the embarrasment when President did the same during his last days as President….he owed people favors and he set criminals free to settle the score!

I don't think Mike is funny…..I don't think he could lead our nation…..we will never know of course. If Huckabee wins nomination, it will be Clinton/Obama 2008.

January 2, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  21. Jesse, Burnsville, MN

Ginny,

Once Hillary falls in IA, NH, and SC, she won't even have a chance in CA. Haven't you ever seen this play out before? Why do you think people complain so much about IA and NH having so much power to nominate presidential candidates.

If you love Hillary so much, move to NY and she can represent you for eternity for all I care.

January 2, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  22. Joshua Drake

I probably won't vote for a Democrat preferring Ron Paul instead but I can say that if I was going to vote for a Democrat, it would be an actual Democrat which Hillary is not. Frankly I think John Edwards seems the most sincere.

I don't particularly dislike Obama but something about him bothers me and I haven't quite put my finger on it. He doesn't seem to really address the actual issues, instead of proclaims this "positive" approach which I can respect... if he would actually address issues.

January 2, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  23. john halverson DC

i guess these are the same writers that wrote the cnn democratic debate? they were quite nice to Hillary. Too bad Dave won't ask her about any of her gaffes.

January 2, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  24. Walt, Belton, TX

The "snide" candidate goes on the king of snide's show to show her support for capitulation. It solves all problems, as long as you're not interested in pride, self esteem, integrity and anything else of value. She's good at that; been practicing for over thirty years...................................

January 2, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  25. Chris in Jacksonville

While I do not agree with all positions of the unions, they have been responsible for most of the basic labor-fairness laws that we all take for granted.

You would be a fool to expect management to treat the workers fairly just out of the goodness of their hearts.

January 2, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |