January 2nd, 2008

Obama wins key South Carolina nod

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Democrat Barack Obama has won the backing of former South Carolina Gov. Jim Hodges, a boost to the Illinois senator's presidential campaign in the major Southern primary state.

“If we want to make the lives of everyday South Carolinians better – improve our schools, strengthen families and cover the uninsured - it will take fundamental changes to how business is done in Washington,” Hodges said in a statement released by the Obama campaign. “Barack Obama has been bringing people together to create change all his life. He’s the right choice to turn the page on the divisive politics that have led to partisan gridlock and inaction."

Hodges served as South Carolina's governor from 1999-2003. He lost his 2002 reelection bid to current GOP Gov. Mark Sanford.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Robert

To not vote for someone because you do not want the succession of presidents to go Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton makes about as much sense as voting for an idiot over a flip-flopper to be president. Sound familiar? We've already tread this path before. Clinton is as polarizing as the media tells you to believe, just as the media is selling you on Obama being this 'rock star' of a candidate. What this country needs is a President who knows Washington, because let's face it, Bush surely doesn't. The candidate that knows Washington the best is Clinton. There is no disputing fact. Obama is an upstart who would be better suited to run for president in the future after more time understanding how things work. But, the best choice for 2008 is Clinton.

January 11, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  2. Ross Lippincott; Davenport Iowa.

Yeah you Obama haters, hey I got idear hows about Hillary this time then Jeb Bush and by then Chelsey Clinton will be old enough to run for the presidency and she'll have tons of experience cause she'll have lived in the white house twice.

MORONS!

OBAMA/EDWARDS-08!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2008 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  3. Robert

Wow! That was insightful! Just a little advice – if you would like anybody to take you and your political views seriously, I'd suggest you learn how to write. Maybe we should elect you as our next president so that the transition from one president who can't speak correctly to the next wouldn't be so hard. Is that why you support Obama so much? Because he actually can put a sentence together? I hope that's not the case. Also, I would reccomend that if you feel strongly about a certain candidate that you give examples as to why he/she would be the best choice. Resorting to name calling? Morons? I can only speak for myself, but I can not find one instance in the past two things that I have posted that could qualify as being moronic. I am simply stating my opinion about the subject at hand, and hoping to inspire people that agree with me to stand up and be heard, or to hear what those people who disagree with me have to say, and try to consider their points. You, however, have failed at both. You do not give any reasons for voting for Obama. But you do bring up a great point – for some reason, Edwards feels the need to agree with Obama on everything, especially when it comes down to attacking Clinton. I'm glad that you caught that one. Maybe Edwards feels that his campaign is going nowhere fast, so if he latches on to the popular candidate (Obama), maybe he will choose him as a running mate. I guess Edwards is a bandwagoner just like many of the Obama supporters out there. Furthermore, since I am assuming that when you say "Obama haters" that I am included in the mix. I can say that I do not now, nor have I ever hated Obama. I think that he is a great man, a great politician, and one day will be a great leader. I just feel that Clinton is the better choice for president in 2008. I would question why you love Obama so much, or even why you hate Clinton so much? I'd love to hear what you have to say in regards to that.

January 12, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. James Brown ( Independent )

Obama is the best choice to change this country if you want some thing done , because he knows how to bring people together and find solutions. I see Obama's lack of TIME in Washington as a HUGE asset. Obama understands that real change comes from the bottom up , and with the will of the people behind you,all things are possible.

If you like the DO NOTHING way Washington is now , times that by 10 and vote for Clinton, she divides the country before she even gets there.

OBAMA 08

January 13, 2008 06:33 am at 6:33 am |
  5. Robert

Finally, a pro-Obama comment that actually says something. Thank you for bringing an opinion to the table! I was getting bored with all these people supporting Obama and not giving any reasons for doing so.

January 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. Tesfahun

I know i am no body for the American election,but there is somthing i have to say ,since i am one of the meber of the world; If Americans donot show there fuel intintion for OBAMA race to be US president. It is time that any one can understand how Americans do not accepted equality of human being in the eyes of GOD and they should also be carfuel for their sing of "democracy" for the rest of the world who they want to rulled them.

January 14, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  7. Tesfahun

I know i am no body for the American presidental election,but there is somthing i have to say ,since i am one of the meber of the world and trhat also concerned me for its poltical situation; Americans should show there fuel support for OBAMA race to be US president.Unless It is time that any one can understand how Americans do not accepted equality of human being in the eyes of GOD and they should also be carfuel for their sing of "democracy" for the rest of the world who they want to rulled .

January 14, 2008 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  8. Tesfahun

I know i am no body for the American presidental election,but there is somthing i have to say ,since i am one of the meber of the world it concerned me for world poltical situation and say something. Americans should show there fuel support for OBAMA race to be US president.If they are putting racism for It these is time that any one can understand how Americans do not accepted equality of human being in the eyes of GOD and they should also be carfuel for their sing of "democracy" for the rest of the world who they want to rulled .

January 14, 2008 07:16 am at 7:16 am |