January 2nd, 2008

Romney: "We are on a razor thin edge"

Mitt Romney is neck-and-neck with Mike Huckabee on caucus day.

Mitt Romney is neck-and-neck with Mike Huckabee on caucus day.

MASON CITY, Iowa (CNN) - A pragmatic Mitt Romney vowed Wednesday to fight on, regardless of Iowa’s caucus results – a marked shift from the confident candidate who told reporters earlier this week "I think I'm going to win."

"We are in a neck-and-neck race," Romney told an audience of about 80 people gathered in an Iowa airport. "We are on a razor thin edge. I don't know who's going to be ahead in terms of the polls, but the difference as to who is actually going to win depends on who turns out, and so get your friends, make your phone calls, get in the cars, give me thirty minutes, forty minutes."

With rival Mike Huckabee continuing to narrowly lead polls and draw large crowds - he drew more than double Romney's crowd tally at another event in Mason City today - the former Massachusetts governor has cautiously avoided overly-optimistic forecasts over the last two days.

Romney, whose campaign is generally regarded to have the best ground organization in Iowa, has been concluding his speeches in recent days with similar pleas to his supporters to get out and caucus.

"I can't predict what the outcome's going to be here in Iowa," he told reporters in Bellevue earlier in the day. "I'm sure hoping that I get a first place finish. If I don't, I'm going to keep on battling."

- CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Iowa • Mike Huckabee • Mitt Romney
  1. Carol Rogers

where did you find that picture? Who messed up his hair?

January 2, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  2. Craig, Carlsbad CA

Big story here is Romney spends $ 50 million and has nothing to show for it.

Tied or losing in both Iowa and NH his national numbers put him in 4th repeat 4th place where he is 3 points ahead of Fred Thompson of all people.

Even in his home state of Michigan where his father was govenor he is losing support and now only has 3 points on Huckabee.

For additional information on the polls by party and state by state go to http://www.pollster.com/08-MI-Rep-Pres-Primary.php

January 3, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  3. Tyrone

Mitt Romnet us passionate about America and he us running fro all the right reasons, If I was picking which Church to attend I woukd vote for Huckabee, but we are picking a President.

Hillary is just plain scary at least with Bill Clinton the republicans controled both houses. With only Nancy to keep Hillary in Check scares me because she is one scary woman with a chip on her sholder.

January 3, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  4. Tracy Anderson, IA

For all of you out there who are still undecided – here's some great information about Mike Huckabee to help you make up your mind:

January 3, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  5. Janice Cat lover

My Cat just purrs when Mitt Romney is on TV, but just hisses when Hillary is on TV

My cat is a good judge of character even if Fluffy can't vote.

January 3, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  6. Charles in Salt Lake City, UT

Last line: "Romney said he still thinks he will be the nominee, even if he does not win Iowa."

Lord, I certainly hope not. I hope failing to carry a majority in Iowa will begin to show this man that money and shmaltz can't buy the perception of genuineness.

Come on, Iowans. Take the time, make the effort to turn out and put this privileged pretender in his place. Mitt Romney is NOT the "most electable" Republican in the field - he is not actually electable at all because he's so easily seen as a plastic, parsing, pretending fraud who could never draw together the coalition of bipartisan support necessary to carry the general election. He is no Reagan, and much as he would like you to think it, he is no Kennedy either.

Good luck to you tomorrow evening, and God bless.

January 3, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  7. Rob

Huckabee studied under PT Barnum. He relies on the old rule "There is a sucker born every minute"- Huckabees supporters are a bunch of suckers.

January 3, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  8. Ben, Rexburg, Idaho

Romney just looks like a president. He's got extreme potential to be one of the best American Presidents that the United States has seen. Vote for Mitt Romney!

January 3, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  9. Ed,Ellenville,New York

The cat is judging your character. Someone who decides based on what they think the cat thinks is less intelligent than a cat. You'd have to be less intelligent than a cat to support theocracy. Cats are matriarchal and if they could vote,it would be for Hillary.

January 3, 2008 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  10. jay

We're on a neck-and-neck race along a razor edge? Oooh, that sounds painful. Not exactly sure what Mitt's strong points are, but subtlety isn't one of them. If Americans buy Mitt's line about illegal immigration, they'll get, instead, a mega-millionaire CEO President who will push for more tax breaks for big corporations to send their jobs overseas. Look at his background.

The man can't even stop illegal immigrants from working his own backyard! Evidently that's too difficult to do, without government involvement. In fairness, his backyard is huge.

So get out and vote – more tax cuts for those in the $200,000+ income bracket hangs in the balance!

January 3, 2008 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  11. Milton, Harrisburg, PA

My cat is probably more informed and less malleable to manipulation than the average voter. Sometimes a benign dictatorship is preferable to a democracy.

January 3, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  12. Laurinda

As I read this article it is a little confusing as to what Mitt Romney would possibly be doing in Bellevue. Our we talking about the one in NYC. I think that CNN should be a little more specific on the actual location of these places. When most of us here Bellevue we automatically think of the mentally ill.

January 3, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  13. Richard, St. Paul, MN

Romney's "on a razor thin edge" of sanity, thinking that anybocy believes his snake oil rhetoric. At least he doesn't have a pet Hollywood monkey, like Chuck Norris to help him work his organ grinding....

January 3, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Great Janice... Maybe you cat is telling you that Romney's campaign is dead since it staying around and purring; some cats can sense death. If that is how you figure out who you are going to vote for, we're screwed in this country.

There is something to wonder about given how much money Romney has put into the state in terms of advertising dollars. How much has he gotten back versus how much Huckabee has put in and gotten back. I think Romney has to either talk about another candidate negatively; maybe he should try Hunter or Paul.

January 3, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Joseph, Grand Rapids, MI

Romney is the real deal! Iowa Please go out and vote for Romney. He is the only one that stands a chance aganist the democrats come November. He cares for this country and I know with the help of people in Iowa he will lead this country in a positive direction. He has my vote, get out and vote. Show the rest of the country who deserves to lead this nation. GO IOWA! GO MITT!

January 3, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  16. Wayne, Greenville TX

Janice Cat lover January 3, 2008 12:48 am ET

My cat is a good judge of character even if Fluffy can't vote.

My cat licks her butt and coughs up hairballs, but I'm not going to do that simply because my cat does.....

January 3, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. Lisa

Mitt resembles Herman Munster, with a little less color. Does that look presidential?

January 3, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  18. CJ

Mike WILL Win.......

Romney is a flip Flopping Idiot.

Joseph Smith was NOT a Profit of God................

January 3, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  19. Lisa Salt Lake City Utah

Romney is losing his credibility in Utah for many reasons. There is no way that he would get independent or democrat votes in the general elections. He is too busy courting the conservative base that he is blowing it every where else. He used to attack Reagan-Bush; but now is accusing others of failing Reagan 101? Attacking others for criticizing Bush? What about his previous thoughts of them? Oh, that was the old Mitt, this is the new Mitt. And there will be a new and improved Mitt for the general election once he buys his republican nomination.

January 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Lisa Salt Lake City Utah

CJ he may have not been a profit – but he certainly has made considerable profit from God.

January 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  21. T

CJ – Why try to turn a political campaign into a religion contest? I'll stick with Romney on this on..."that's just un-American." And, what do you know about Joseph Smith? I could just as easily say the same about any of the prophets of God...and if I've read the scriptures correctly, many folks have. Many didn't believe the ancient prophets, but I wouldn't consider yourself in good company to follow that path.

January 3, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  22. Nelson, Colorado Springs Co

I hope Mike huckabee win I mite change my vote for president

January 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. Val Davydov, Agawam, MA

CJ,

You should not be allowed to vote period if you don't know the difference between Prophet and Profit.

It just goes to show that only undereducated bigots like you that don't know good from evil will vote for Huckabee.

Romney WILL win tonight and he will win NH.

January 3, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  24. Jeff Ontario Canada

Yes, but what about all the Mormon women out there that just want to wear regular underwear.?...lol . This is a great site to check out...exmormon.org.

January 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  25. Jim

I attended the Republican Caucus in Delaware County, IA and we had a mob scene of people atending. There were over 600 people in a middle school gym that was expected to hold 300. They ran out of ballots and had to print double the original number just to count votes.

I don't know about the Democrat turnout being supossedly high, but I can tell you that the Republicans had an overwhelming turnout.

I voted for Mike Huckabee and am very pleased with his message. This is a big deal and a big change for America!

January 4, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |