January 3rd, 2008

Iowa caucus turnout shatters record

Caucus goers enter the Lovejoy Elementary School in Des Moines.

The Iowa Democratic Party said that with 96 percent of the precincts reporting, they were seeing record turnout, with 227,000 caucus attendees. In 2004, their turnout was about 125,000 caucus goers.

The Iowa Republican Party is also projecting record turnout, with 120,000 people taking part in the Republican caucuses. About 87,000 people took part in the 2000 Republican caucuses.

Filed under: Iowa
  1. Fred

Read it and weep, Republicans. This is the wind of change.

We are sick and tired of you, George Bush, his war, our dead, our economy in shreds, our infrastructure falling apart, our schools leaving almost all kids behind, etc.

You Republicans have failed, and have failed the United States.

Even if Hillary was to win the Democrat nomination, I would still vote for her over ANY Republican candidate.

America rejects you. You should do a lot of soul searching and ask yourselves why.

Good bye.

January 3, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  2. Joseph

After over 30 televised debates, 2 years of campaigning, millions of dollars in television ads, door-to-door campaigners, it is no surprise that people are more aware of the Iowa caucus process. I hate to think that Feb 5 marks the "end" of only HALF the process.

January 3, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  3. xargaw

The turnout for the Democrats compared to the GOP numbers evidences a real desire for change as does the 1st and 2nd place showing of Obama and Edwards. I think the country is craving a NEW approach. The GOP Bush apoligists and the Clinton brigade represent the past. This caucus is a good omen for a new beginning.

January 3, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. crescentdave

Outstanding work by democrats and independents in Iowa. Thanks for showing the nation how to revitalize American politics, one vote at a time.

January 3, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  5. C. MacLean, Raleigh, NC

This is the real news story; the resurgence of the democratic party.

The fact that the democrats almost doubled their turnout, coupled with the big losses the republicans suffered in 2006 in the House indicates to me that there will be a major change for the US in November, 2008, including a more solidly democratic senate.

The republican party as we know it is finished.

About time!

January 3, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  6. Anonymous

Who is "Richards"? (mentioned in last sentence)

January 3, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Bob

Fred is absolutely on target.

The Republicans have brought nothing but shame, disgrace, and failure to America. They should just rename themselves The Torture Party and be done with it.

They make decent people retch.

January 3, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  8. Dorothy

I attended my first caucus tonight. I discovered that 4 others nearby were also first-timers. They had been independents and for the first time ever had felt compelled to stand for a candidate during the caucuses. I hope the rest of the 49 states also make the statement that it's time things start changing!

January 3, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. Mark

Over 218,000 people voted in the Dem caucus, and only about 93,000 voted in the Repub caucus. The Dems, Indies and many Repubs are fed up...FED UP, with the illegal and immoral leadership of the Repubs and their leaders. In appx 300 days, a Dem will be elected in a landslide and the Dems will win voting majorities in the House and Senate...and Americans will take their country back!

January 3, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  10. Mary Butts

Fred,

Where did you graduate from college, or, did you even go to college? Your comments are as ignorant as a fifth grader's who likes to stay up late and watch CNN.

Open your mind and stop listening to the bleeding heart liberal media!

Mary

January 3, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  11. John Ralston

While some of the above comments may be premature, let us hope that the American people are finally rising up in disgust with eight years of the corrupt and incompetent George Bush – who wasn't even elected in 2000 – and are demanding change. I just hope it isn't too late to reverse all the damage the Bush crowd has done.

January 3, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  12. Mary Butts

To Bob,

You don't think the Clinton administration brought shame and disgrace to our country? Seriously??

January 3, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  13. Mark

Oops, meant to say the Dems would win veto-proof majorities in the H&S, leaving the Dems free to repair the Repub damage to America over the past 7 years, and to begin the make the change necessary, and oh so desired by American's, both those that went to college and those that didn't, to restore America's honor, trust and position in the world. Nothing liberal or conservative about that.

January 3, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  14. donna

The real story is that the establishment candidates on both sides were voted down.

People want change – on both sides.

January 3, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  15. Hillary Supporter

My quick tally of Republican caucus goers (with 85% reporting) multiplied by 1.15 (to do a rough pass at the rest of the voters, inaccurately showed the Republicans topping off at 118,000.

This is fantastic for Democrats.

January 3, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  16. Jerry

OK, so how many Republicans crossed and voted against Hillary in the Democratic caucuses???? CNN won't touch that one only to say that over 200K showed up for the democratic caucuses in Iowa and just over 100K showed up last year. The Republicans were so impassioned with defeating Hillary they let the standard bearer in the Republican Party lose. What a mess for the Repbulicans.

January 3, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  17. Fred

Mary Butts – I went to college and graduate school. I am a member of a National honor society.

My comments are simply those of a person who is sick and tired of watching the Bush/Cheney regime use our Constitution for toilet paper. I am sick and tired of watching our young men and women be killed and maimed in a war that never should have been and was the product of cherry-picked and falsified intelligence. I am sick and tired of watching billions and billions of dollars be diverted from essential domestic programs, education, health care, science, energy conservation, the environment, and even roads and bridges, so that it can pay the huge and virtually exploding bills in Iraq.

The Bush/Cheney administration fights anything to slow climate change tooth and nail. They are sealing the world's fate. They would rather gloat about a mission not accomplished while the world dies.

They remind me of Nero fiddling. And I am sick and tired of it. And apparently so is the rest of this country.

Like I said, we reject you.

January 3, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  18. Patrick

If I'm not mistaken, Bill was the only president in at least 25 years to create a surplus. Every REPUBLICAN within that period enlarged a deficit. Bill had a plan to eliminate the national debt, and Bush did not follow through with it. Instead, he gave tax breaks to the super rich and spent more than we could afford.

The Republicans have also has their share of scandals this year.....

Congrats, Obama! I'm rooting for ya.

January 3, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  19. Ray Baxter

Mary Butts,

Seriously, no. I don't think that the Clinton administration brought shame and disgrace to our country.

George W. Bush has used the armed forces and the law enforcement agencies of our nation to violate our most cherished national principles. War crimes have been committed. Innocent people have been tortured. Our civil liberties have been trashed.

If you feel that those wrongs are equivalent to the shame brought on the country by an acting President having an indiscreet personal relationship, that's your prerogative.

The President of the United States takes an oath to uphold the Constitution. Violating that Constitution a serious offense. Having sex in the Oval Office is in bad taste.

Do you see the difference?

January 3, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  20. Al Lexington Ky

Mary Butts, you need to pay attention to what has happened to your own party. You have allowed it to be taken over by rigid authoritarians. You and your party have embraced a totalitarian style of government. That is not what America is all about.
    Come back to the America that stands for democracy.

You need to read "Conservatives Without Conscience." You might recognize someone in that book. It was written by a Republican, a former Nixon Aide. You might also see where your party went wrong.

January 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  21. Juanito Crandello

Hey Mary, we all know where YOUR head is at (need a flash light?)

January 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  22. Michael

Mary,

Does one's education determine his or her ability for free thought? Not in my America.

Blaming the "Bleeding heart liberal media?" Of course, blame anyone else but the leader of your party. Typical of Bush supporters throughout his tenure, you continue to follow without questioning for the sake and "integrity" of the Republican party.

Maybe if Bush could have admitted a need for assistance or a desire for inclusion from inside and outside of his party, the American people would have more forgiving of his failures. Instead he created the most insular team of politicians and yes men in recent memory, driving a giant wedge between those he governs and those in positions of power.

The wonderful thing about democracy is the ability of the governed to demand and create change. Enjoy the show.

January 3, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  23. noah

I think it is high time that America becomes a country of – what it preaches. A beacon to the rest of the world. Enough with this administration that brought shame and hatred to us.

January 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  24. David R

I planned to caucus tonight for Chris Dodd, who is a fine and decent man who never had a chance. In the process, I was approached by several groups of Obama, Edwards, Hillary, and Richardson supporters, and had the pleasure of talking with each of them. I had decided ahead of time to switch to Edwards if doing so would make a difference in the delegates won, which it did (score one more delegate for Edwards). We elected not to have a second round re-alignment, and I was forced to quickly change camps. This decision was very difficult for me, I lost sleep researching positions and weighing the value of compromise against steadfastness. I cannot say for certain that my choice best represents the future I want, and after all was said and done I am happy for the process to be over, and am eager to support the eventual nominee.

My impressions from my caucus (5th district, Jefferson County):
    Hillary supporters were primarily elderly voters (I estimate over 50% were over 65 years old, and well more than half were female), Obama supporters were primarily younger (est. 60% under 40), and Edwards had a wide group of supporters of all ages. More than half of the attendees were female. Everyone was enthusiastic, but the Obama supporters were the most vocal group, Hillary supporters the least. I didn't see so much as a sign for Kucinich, which surprised me.

January 3, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  25. Rich in Salt Lake

I'm not sure how I ended up here I was surfing the web looking at some sports scores and end laughing at your comments. I hate to tell you this but with all the clowns running for President more people are interested in the BCS Championship tonight than which crook got selected tonight.

January 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |