January 3rd, 2008

For Clinton in Iowa - The party is over

ALT TEXT
CNN's Mike Roselli captured the mood at camp Clinton Thursday night.

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) – Long after the local and national TV outlets had turned away from her headquarters, Hillary Clinton was still going.

She worked the stage full of supporters that had assembled behind her. She hugged and shook hands with prominent backers such as Madeleine Albright and Terry McAuliffe and stopped to talk with Iowa surrogates who had become constants on her travels across the state. One woman decked out in full AFSCME regalia commanded the senator's attention until they were practically alone on the stage.

Sen. Clinton descended from the stage and worked the remaining fans pressed against the bunting clad ropeline, posing for pictures and signing autographs. She outlasted President Clinton, not one ever to leave a ropeline early.

Once the candidate had exited the ballroom, the campaign soundtrack looped for the umpteenth time as supporters milled about picking up signs, swilling beer, and posing for pictures at the podium where their candidate had just spoken.

–CNN Senior Political Producer Sasha Johnson

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Iowa
  1. Abm Habibullah Plano,tx

To me, choices are clear. Either OBAMA or RON PAUL. If none get nomination, I am not wasting my time to vote.

January 4, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. Linda

I tutor after school, so most of the day I have the news on. Yes, Obama has taken lines from Bill Clinton, Rev. King, the Kennedy boys and others. As a teacher, I would give him a "F" in talking with all of his "ahs" and poor sentence structure. I will give him the fact that he can give a speech, but one-on-one he talks down to people. At his rallies he acts like a football coach getting ready for the big game. He may have the testosterone flowing in the males, and the hormones of love in the females; but in the adults who care about this country he is not experienced enough to be our next president.

Some of you may be to young to remember why the ERA amendment was not passed as a constitutional right. Let me remind you, it was because of women, not men. Too many women thought that they would have to burn their bras and act liberated. Some women like the idea of men taking care of them and making all the decisions. Women still don't have equal rights as a result.

Hillary is the first woman ready, willing and able to be our first female president. Men have been trying to run this country for over 200 years and I think it is time that women unite to back Hillary for president.

January 4, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. MorethanCorn

Lori New Jersey,

A display of intelligence would be exhibited simply by living in a more "expensive" state? Hmm........ I live currently live in Iowa, after living in various areas of the country, including San Diego and Manhattan. I agree that Iowa has little diversity and is less densely populated than most, thereby making it a legitimate concern that it's caucuses occur with so influential impact, while other states might make a more appropriate representation.
    I was glad to have the opportunity to caucus last night, but I if I was in another state, I'd probably be raising a lot of the same questions. That makes sense.

I don't like to try to dissuade anybody from their own political views. I think its healthy. But to be fair... alot of mud is being slung at O'Bama, before it warranted.....

And lets not forget that Hilary is backed by Rupert Murdoch. EVERYONE knows his history and affect on American society, and anyone who doesn't know, is slacking on their research.

I'm excited by the chance of a having the first woman lead our country, but unfortunately, even moderate research will reveal many corrupt ties to the Clinton org, including some shared by the Bush family. Its commonly researched and known. For that reason I'd rather go with someone who's flaw is "inexperience," anyday over the veteran corrruptor.

Rupert Murdoch is one of the easiest to find info on. Check out the documentary "Outfoxed,"

Take it easy everyone and be safe in '08

January 4, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. John

I think Third Place is better than Second for Hillary. Fourth would have been even better, hope it will work out in NH.

January 4, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Chris, Middletown, CT

Talk of "traditional Democrat"? The new Democrat seems to be the "whats in it for me" Democrat – "what I'm entitled to" Democrat

Be a traditional Democrat – John F Kennedy said "ask not what your country can do for you...ask what you can do for your country" –

I see nothing but promises of a socialist state from the field of Democrats – universal healthcare....800 billion in entitlement spending....gimme gimme gimme....higher taxes (and they don't even blink when saying this) – support of the country choking unions....high pay and great benefits....(and the companies they work for are either folding or moving the jobs overseas) –

Baffling group of entitlists – go back to traditional Democrats...ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU (for once)

January 4, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  6. Virginia

Hillary has had countless oppertunities to MAKE change....while I am glad she was a forerunner once upon a time, for universal health care, Hillary has instead opted to change her mind more than change policies in America. She's backed down and gone mainstreem....

January 4, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  7. Stephen in Texas

Is this political Heaven? No, it's Iowa. Not exactly a hotbed of liberalism. The most noteworthy aspect of this event was the number of people who turned out, 239,00 democrats to 112,000 republicans.

January 4, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. AJ, IL

Wow! With all the 'READY FOR CHANGE' flyers in that picture, I thought it was an Obama rally. If carefully notice that Hillary's name is in very small print compared to the slogan. Hopefully Hillary gets the message that Iowa delivered. A good candidate needs to have conviction, passion, and personality. Hillary's campaign switch from the experience theme to the change theme has hurt her. After the Philadelphia debate she was seen negatively, a constant flip-flopper who couldn't committ to serious national issues. Now the flip-flopping of campaign themes just reinforces to America that Hillary will say and do nearly anything to become President.

January 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Richard Nixon

My vote goes for Giuliani i love transvestites.

January 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. tom

I like Obama from what I have come to learn about him via the media. He did prove that he can attract people from all different walks of life, and for sure drowned the idea that it is still not the right time to elect an afro-american to the presidency. Hillary is a very smart woman but I feel that she will do more for the country if she stays in the senate and then possibly down the road become the Senate majority leader. Remember in order to get things done for the country it is going to take the cooperation of both the Executive and legislative branches of government to lead us out of the mess that Bush and his Republican cronies have got us into. Obama for President and Hillary for Senate Majority leader, then we will truly see CHANGE!

January 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Lilly

I was on the fence between Clinton and Obama. After two years of really looking at who they are and what they stand for, they are essentially very similar in their vision for America and their convictions, no matter how different their personalities are. The only real difference in their voting records regard foreign policy issues, but all concern intelligence problems, such as with the War in Iraq and the potential invasion of Iran.

I think we are all overexaggerating here. Both are very qualified for the job. Lets not be so divisive within our own party and admit that Clinton and Obama are very similar in their beliefs and past history with politics no matter how much longer one candidate has been in the thralls of it over the other. Obama has his mistakes, and Hillary has hers, but both have their profound accomplishments. Both are very intelligent and speak with clarity and wisdom.

So which candidate to choose in the end? While I like Obama and have deep respect for him, my ultimate decision goes to Clinton, who I believe is unfairly attacked by the media. Regardless of the whole experience factor, she brings up more substantial points in her speeches, she is more concrete in her thinking and less abstract, and she seems like she understands the American people and knows how to get things done with strategic effectiveness.

Sure, everyone is talking about change vs. experience, but those are too broad to characterize our candidates with. Lets refrain from trying to simplify the entire matter. Obama can bring about change, but how? In what ways? With what potential negative or positive consequences? As applied to what issues? When? And with what success?

January 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. terry

I tell you what, when Clinton was in the whitehouse, we had a surplus in our coffers, people around the world had the utmost respect and admiration for the US (even after the trumped up impeachment). If you want to blame ANYONE for the US's trouble, look over to Mr. Bush, he has disgraced us, is a war criminal and should be impeached. Ms. Clinton, doesn't have baggage, she has a wealth of knowledge and experience at her fingertips. I will definitely vote for whoever can bring us back to where we were in 2000. All Democrat, no Republicans for sure!!!

January 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  13. Al in Wpg

Jacob, Brockville, Ontario

I'm in Canada as well, please don't speak for me. I don't beleive for a single second that HRC is the Candidate the US needs. I think she's just more of the same, a figure head for the Bush/Clinton dinasty. But whatever, they can pick and choose whoever they want, and we will continue to have no say in which US president will make policies that affect the whole world.

Thant being said, again, NO, all of Canada is not for HRC at all.

January 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Jackie Secor

While disappointing in Iowa for Hillary, the race is not over. Bill Clinton has said all along the way that she has an uphill battle. When pundits said she was a shoo-in for the nomination, he held reservation especially with respect to Iowa. He, himself, lost in Iowa, but how long was he President? "Comeback Kid" comes to mind...It's not over. She's worked hard, but she's going to have to work harder.

I like Obama and Edwards, but I believe Hillary has more international clout to get things done on the world stage and repairing our standing as well as being a catalyst for domestic repair. Obama or Edwards would be great on the ticket with her and would provide a good balance b/t "old" and "new" Washington. I just believe that her as the presidential nominee would have a much better chance at beating a Republican.

January 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Kevin,FL

BILL CLINTON DIDNT WIN IOWA OR NH BUT HE WON THE WHITE HOUSE!!! HILLARY CLINTON WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT!!

January 4, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  16. joanne miki

I am a Canadian and I definitely prefer Obama to Clinton. I for one do not trust her.
    I will keep reading and watching CNN to see how the election is going.

joanne

January 4, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. Mike

I believe that Obama winning in Iowa was a given but also a fluke. Hillary is far more experienced and smarter than Obama to lead this nation. She will be the nominee no matter what. At the current state of the union that Bush is leaving, we really need someone with experience rather than hope to clean this mess up. Obama would be great for VP right now, and even better for president in 2016.

January 4, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  18. hawk

Clinton Supporters,

What experience does Hillary has? Is it taking more money from coporate lobbyist than republicans, is it voting to authorize war in Iraq without reading the national intelligence report, is it voting to give Bush and his NeoCons the power to authorize war in Iran, is it not realizing that elections in Pakistan is parliamentary not Presidental, is it to nominate Bill Clinton to be a Supreme Court Justice. Are you kidding me! Obama/Edwards 08 a winning ticket. Hillary has no chance in a General Election to polarizing. Obama/Edward 08

January 4, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Steve

Hillary for Canadian Prime Minister 2010!

January 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  20. Tevin, Raleigh NC

Does Hillary think we'll really believe that she's about change when she's surrounded by everything old? The problems facing this country did not just appear. They were around when She and Bill were in the White house. Was there change? No. Her past speaks for itself. America finally looks like it's tired of the status quo!

January 4, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. Helen

This thing about obama beeing aginst the iraq war .....does anyone really know how he would have voted ( he was'nt there ) He did'nt keep his promises to the people of ill. Has he got the same treatment from the news media? We need someone to clean up the Bush mess,He will come in each day vote present take off rest of day. I do know he will never get my vote.

January 4, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Gavin

I can't believe how gullible and naive some of you commenters are about Hillary. You're all playing out of the republicans handbook: "Hate Hillary," ....Why?

I have not run into one singler person that can give me a substantive and practical reason...it's all just a big misconception, and it's showing how dumb some of us Americans can act.

Wisen up! If Hillary is not your choice, fine, but drop the whole "Evil Hillary" charade....THAT'S GETTING OLD!

And, the reason Hillary virtually tied for 2nd (in a state that was never strong for her to begin with) and the reason why she is dominating the polls in New Hamphsire, is BECAUSE people are starting to realize that this "Hate Hillary" game is tired already....

Hillary Rodham Clinton, a historic run and probable win will be GOOD for this country. She's strong, experienced, cares out children and health care, can beat the GOP machine, and more.......

OH, see, there you go again...I can hear you now, "I hate Hillary"

.....but you still don't have an reason...

Get over it.

January 4, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  23. Susan

Frankly I am glad that Hillary has "fallen" .....It will take a lot of convincing the NH voters that she is a the candidate for them...I sense in Maine anyway... that she is running on the coat-tails of her husband as well as representing the "old order" of Washington...People want real change...they don't want the same old BS that Washington has given us for four more years..If Hillary doesn't change her tune fast..she is toast.....or shall I say over baked homemade cookies? (From the 1992 campaign: "I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was fulfill my profession") Hillary is a total turnoff for me...I'll take Edwards or Obama over Hillary any day!

January 4, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Anna, SW Missouri

For anyone that thinks that experience is the most important thing that the Presidential canidate should have, I understand that. But, although George didn't have anymore experience than any of the current candidates, he had the backing of some of the most experienced people in political history, and look where that got us. I am a 57 year old white, economic conservative Republican, and right now I think that Obama is the United States's best hope for true change in this country. Hilary may be able to bring out all of the big names, but Obama has actually studied and taught Constitutional law. It would had been nice if George had actually even read the Constitution at least once in his life. That is something we all need to look at.

Last night on Fox, someone was talking to a political operative for one of the Republicans and made a jab at Obama being able to work across party lines and the operative said that Obama can do just that. He said he has an excellent record of working with both sides and is an excellent negotiator. Fox immediately went to another topic, and no one brought it up.

Everyone is worried that the Democrats will raise taxes, but what do you think that GWB has done by borrowing all of the money to pay for the war in Iraq, and not reduce spending to pay for the tax cuts. Our grandchildren's children will still be paying for his mistakes. Everything that he has done has been done on credit, and sooner or later, the banks want to be paid. Remember, that those banks are in China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, etc. For anyone to think that Romney is the answer, remember that his "foreign policy" experience, is building businesses in other countries, and he slams John McCain for voting against the tax cuts, when McCain did so because they were not being off set by reduced spending.

This country is sick and tired of the politics as usual, and want someone that will bring this country together. The reason that Republicans are looking at Obama, is because we know that although the Democrats took the House and Senate back in 2006, the Republicans have continued the politics as usual, and refused to work with the Democrats. It is not just the fact that the Democrats didn't get done what they promised, it is that the Republicans didn't pay attention to the American people and continued the partisan politics in Washington. There are no Republican candidate that can bring that to an end, so Republicans are looking at Obama very closely, and right now, I, for one, like what I see.

January 4, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Ajay

The party begins on delegate rich SUPER Tuesday.

Romney an openly BUSH Jr. Supporter did LOOSE after all!! Says something about Bush Jr., Bush Jr. Administration and Bush Jr. Policies and his standing with American public today.

Hillary / Edwards take the que from Huckabee and bash Bush Jr. for his IRAQ policy and STOP funding the war lest your vote(s) will haunt you in November.

Yes the 43rd President Bush Jr. has cause for concern:
    Having cheated in two elections. First in 2000 from Al Gore who later got the Noble Peace Prize (just in case people do not keep up with the news!) through the Supreme Court then through rigging and SWIFT BOATING (it’s a verb: unfairly depicting someone) war decorated veteran John Kerry in 2004!

With all the anti-Bush Jr. Rhetoric that has helped Huckabee must be a DISASTER in the making for Bush Jr. if he is to venture to work for Republican candidates in 2008 election cycle.

Go Hillary44 08! http://hillaryis44.org/ http://facts.hillaryhub.com/